New On DSiWare: PiCTOBiTS (An Actual Video Game)

Posted by Brad (2869 posts) -

Let's hear it for DSiWare, folks. After the Animal Crossing applications debacle two weeks ago--when the weekly DSiWare release consisted of a calculator and a clock--Nintendo has a two-week streak going of putting actual video games on the new DS download service. Last week it was soccer, and this week it's the latest Art Style game, PiCTOBiTS--which, as far as I'm concerned, looks like the best thing on DSiWare so far. Read Nintendo's pitch.

Your goal in Art Style: PiCTOBiTS is simple: clear large blocks that fall from above ("megabits") by combining them with "bits" (square blocks) of the same color. Add in the ability to pick up bits and place them anywhere on the touch screen, and you'll quickly find that strategy is critical to your success. By clearing the bits, you gradually reveal each stage's hidden game character - look for favorites from classic NES™ titles - and earn coins that can be spent to unlock DARK stages or to listen to the game's soundtrack in MUSIC mode. This grand mix of familiar elements and new game play leads to the uniquely enjoyable experience that is PiCTOBiTS.

Here, take a look at this trailer and tell me it doesn't tickle your spot for Nintendo nostalgia (wherever that is). PiCTOBiTS is out now on DSiWare for 500 points ($5). Anyone playing it yet?

Staff
#1 Posted by Brad (2869 posts) -

Let's hear it for DSiWare, folks. After the Animal Crossing applications debacle two weeks ago--when the weekly DSiWare release consisted of a calculator and a clock--Nintendo has a two-week streak going of putting actual video games on the new DS download service. Last week it was soccer, and this week it's the latest Art Style game, PiCTOBiTS--which, as far as I'm concerned, looks like the best thing on DSiWare so far. Read Nintendo's pitch.

Your goal in Art Style: PiCTOBiTS is simple: clear large blocks that fall from above ("megabits") by combining them with "bits" (square blocks) of the same color. Add in the ability to pick up bits and place them anywhere on the touch screen, and you'll quickly find that strategy is critical to your success. By clearing the bits, you gradually reveal each stage's hidden game character - look for favorites from classic NES™ titles - and earn coins that can be spent to unlock DARK stages or to listen to the game's soundtrack in MUSIC mode. This grand mix of familiar elements and new game play leads to the uniquely enjoyable experience that is PiCTOBiTS.

Here, take a look at this trailer and tell me it doesn't tickle your spot for Nintendo nostalgia (wherever that is). PiCTOBiTS is out now on DSiWare for 500 points ($5). Anyone playing it yet?

Staff
#2 Posted by Chrjz (317 posts) -

Neat.

#3 Posted by JJOR64 (18881 posts) -

I remember watching a Japanese video about this game.  Might have to pick it up.

#4 Posted by Sargus (720 posts) -

Wow, that actually looks like a lot of fun. Makes me wish I had a DSi.

#5 Posted by JoblessTerence (349 posts) -

That looks insanely fun but insanely frustrating. Whatever, atleast there's an actual video game on DSiWare.

#6 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -

I've been trying to figure out how this game played ever since it released in Japan, still no luck.

#7 Posted by Bubahula (2197 posts) -

that looks like it could be mad addicting

#8 Edited by Mattalorian (594 posts) -

Kudos for originality. It looks both clever and addicting. If I had a DSi, I would purchase this without hesitation.

#9 Posted by SolidEyeSystem (76 posts) -

Looks pretty fun.

#10 Edited by TripMasterMunky (2403 posts) -

Looks kinda interesting. Anything is better than a clock. No offense to clocks.

#11 Edited by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -

It's not available here in the UK yet, sadly. I am positively itching to spend some points on something decent.

Quite frankly, more than anything else right now, I really want Moving Memo. Nintendo need to hurry up and release that, it should have been launch software.

Those Animal Crossing apps are awesome!

#12 Posted by sfighter21 (794 posts) -

Hmm...weird.

#13 Posted by MauveForest (588 posts) -

yah this actually looks like a decently fun puzzle game. 

#14 Posted by License_To_Bill (792 posts) -

I'm playing it now and it's pretty fun. I like a good puzzle game. Thanks for the tip, Brad.

#15 Posted by TooWalrus (13127 posts) -

I think I've actually had my fill of classic NES nostalgia... six or seven years ago, before virtual console, the GBA classic NES collection (and before I knew about ROMS) I was all for everything involving old NES games, but that was back when I had to hook up a NES to play them. Old sprites aren't enough to get me interested anymore...

#16 Posted by Chester (21 posts) -

just bought it, and its the most engaging puzzle game in a while

#17 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Looks pretty neat, too bad there's no way I'd buy a DSi for this...

#18 Posted by coffeesash (347 posts) -

I love the band who did the music, so I've known about this game for months and have the soundtrack, but I don't have a DSi so I can't play the game xD

#19 Posted by ArtG (185 posts) -

I wish DSiWare would have some more compelling games that weren't puzzle games.

#20 Posted by Carlidus (94 posts) -

wow, that actually looks pretty good

#21 Posted by Coltonio7 (3156 posts) -

Man, this game looks dumb.

"O! BUT IT HAS NINTENDO SPRITES! LOOK!"

It's a bad looking puzzle game with a somewhat interesting concept...but it's only $5 so whatevs.

#22 Posted by Gamer_152 (14049 posts) -

Wow this game actually looks original and very fun, reminds me of some of the stuff they did with Tetris DS. It's nice to see that in a store full of cheap magic trick assistants and Animal Crossing calculators there is something genuinely really good.

#23 Edited by MeatSim (10734 posts) -

Hey I like actual games not dumb game themed clocks and calendars though.

#24 Posted by billysea (103 posts) -

Wow that looks fun... kinda like Picross meets Tetris.  Too bad I don't have a DSi and won't be buying one.  I already have a DS.

#25 Posted by DrRandle (1202 posts) -

1: The game is really fun. 2: It's not the first game on DSiWare. I admit they've been slim, but Aquia has been fairly fun as well and was there at launch.

Seriously though, a fucking clock?

#26 Posted by PLWolf (918 posts) -

If I had a DSi I'd check it out, but I just have a dslite.

#27 Posted by Reverseface (1221 posts) -

Blat blat BLAT

#28 Posted by License_To_Bill (792 posts) -
DrRandle said:
1: The game is really fun. 2: It's not the first game on DSiWare. I admit they've been slim, but ... [more]
Aquia had a major problem that turned me off of it: you would do way better at the game if you just kept tapping buttons.
#29 Posted by Halberdierv2 (1864 posts) -

well, I like the chiptune remixes.

#30 Posted by GregIsRad (161 posts) -

Maybe I'm slow but I have no idea how this game plays

#31 Posted by Trnck (448 posts) -

I like the gameplay bit but the whole thing is soooo boring...

#32 Posted by c_rakestraw (817 posts) -

That's it, I'm totally getting a DSi. As this and Aquia (and probably any other games in the Art Style series on the DS) are more than enough to get me buy one.

#33 Posted by Raydanger (76 posts) -

Played it, pretty good. Just about the best DSi game so far, I would say.

#34 Posted by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

I'll probably buy a DSi pretty soon and when I do I might get this one.

#35 Posted by Hand_banana (40 posts) -

Kinda reminds me of Quarth

#36 Posted by Scarabus (478 posts) -

I don't really see the gameplay.
Not getting a DSi any time soon.

#37 Posted by ahoodedfigure (4238 posts) -

A pity the colors aren't friendlier to us cripples

#38 Posted by siavm (76 posts) -

This game is really good. This almost makes up  for not having moving memo yet.

#39 Posted by EvilDingo (589 posts) -

This reminds me of a game called Age of Rock (i think it was) for the Amiga. Although in that game you were a ship shooting blocks upwards in different colours, to make the shapes rectangular and disappear.

This looks very similar except you just drag blocks from the bottom into their place to complete their shape... and that shape is not necessarily rectangular in this game.
#40 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

That looks incredibly boring, why would anyone want to play that?

#41 Edited by theMcNasty (741 posts) -

How come you guys didn't report that Majora's Mask came out the same day?  Has it not made nearly every Top 10 Most Wanted Virtual Console Titles list since the services inception?

#42 Posted by PLWolf (918 posts) -

If I had a DSi I'd check it out, but I just have a dsli

#43 Posted by Media_Master (3283 posts) -

This looks only fun to people who've played those games before hand, because frankly I haven't and this looks like a cell phone game

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.