Apparently Nintendo’s semi-regular Nintendo Direct events are where fans should wait for exciting news, as tonight’s brought plenty to get everybody talking.
We have the first details on the next Smash Bros., a collaboration between Project Sora (Kid Icarus:Uprising) and, uh, Namco Bandai. Of course, the game is being overseen by the always present Masahiro Sakurai. Due to the Namco Bandai collaboration, apparently the game isn’t years off.
Also, Nintendo confirmed the rumored re-design 3DS (something I’d shot down on the podcast, but looks like I’m wrong on that one), now called the 3DS XL. The machine sports a 90% larger screen, a 4GB memory card, improved battery life, and there won’t be an AC adaptor in the box because...cost savings? The machine will be available on August 19 for $200.
Otherwise? Let’s run down the list.
- Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask is coming to the 3DS in November
- There’s a Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance demo now available on the eShop
- Zelda (NES), Kirby Pinball Land (Game Boy), Wario Land (Game Boy) all coming to Virtual Console
- There will be two Virtual Console games released per week throughout July
- Fire Emblem: Awakening coming to 3DS in 2013
- Animal Crossing for 3DS was shown, complete with StreetPass folks
- There will be DLC stages released for New Super Mario Bros. 2