Giant Bomb News

84 Comments

Neil Patrick Harris Voices (A) Spider-Man In Shattered Dimensions

Maybe Spider-Man will stop and get some White Castle! Like in that movie, right?!

Fans of arachnid-based super heroics, Internet-based episodic musicals, or the Tony Awards, get excited: Activision revealed today that beloved-child-actor-turned-ironic-self-parody-actor-turned-proper-actor Neil Patrick Harris would don the digital mask and voice of The Amazing Spider-Man, one of four playable versions of the character in the upcoming Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions
 
This marks Harris' second bite by a radioactive spider, as he played a very computer generated Spider-Man in the short-lived series Spider-Man: The New Animated Series back in 2003. Combined with his already impressive list of video game voice-over roles, I could not think of a better actor to handle the specific nuances and subtleties of a character who will probably spend the whole game making bad spider-based puns.  

 

 "Snikt, Bub."
 
There you go. That's your news story, and that's your Spider-Man video game. You are now free to talk about unicorns and White Castle. Don't let me stop you. 
 
 
84 Comments
  • 84 results
  • 1
  • 2
Posted by MattBodega

Fans of arachnid-based super heroics, Internet-based episodic musicals, or the Tony Awards, get excited: Activision revealed today that beloved-child-actor-turned-ironic-self-parody-actor-turned-proper-actor Neil Patrick Harris would don the digital mask and voice of The Amazing Spider-Man, one of four playable versions of the character in the upcoming Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions
 
This marks Harris' second bite by a radioactive spider, as he played a very computer generated Spider-Man in the short-lived series Spider-Man: The New Animated Series back in 2003. Combined with his already impressive list of video game voice-over roles, I could not think of a better actor to handle the specific nuances and subtleties of a character who will probably spend the whole game making bad spider-based puns.  

 

 "Snikt, Bub."
 
There you go. That's your news story, and that's your Spider-Man video game. You are now free to talk about unicorns and White Castle. Don't let me stop you. 
 
 
Edited by Hockeymask27

Or break out in musical. 
  

Posted by Belonpopo

Shatter Memories?

Edited by TadThuggish

Neil Patrick Harris is done.  He was only "brought back" ironically, and now people have convinced themselves that it wasn't ironically.  Yes, it was.  The guy is decent at what he does but the fervor is so feigned that even the actors don't know they're acting.
 
Don't arbitrarily put him in things unless he belongs.

Posted by Apathylad

I didn't like that MTV series >_<

Posted by msavo
@Belonpopo said:
" Shatter Memories? "
Posted by Urmean

He's the music meisteeeeeeeeeeeeer

Edited by Toxin066

NPH in a game? SOLD.
 
Still curious as to why "Symbiote" is called "Ultimate". Will it be based off teenaged Parker from the Ultimate Spiderman series? The symbiote was present for a very short time in those comics.

Posted by Landon

Well, he did a Spider-Man before, and he was pretty good in that.

Posted by Jayzilla

duz this spidey dance and singz the songz that make the worldz goe roundz? i sure hope so!

Posted by BraveToaster

He's fighting Juggernaut. I like Spiderman and all, but he's no match for Juggernaut.

Posted by leftzero101

matt you messed up man shatter memories?
Posted by Marz

 

Posted by Doubt

hey man shattered memories is a good game, 5th spiderman with a flashlight yelling out cheryl.

Posted by JJOR64

CHERYL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by AgentJ
@Doubt said:
" hey man shattered memories is a good game, 5th spiderman with a flashlight yelling out cheryl. "
@JJOR64 said:
" CHERYL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "
Posted by Manhattan_Project
@TadThuggish said:
" Neil Patrick Harris is done.  He was only "brought back" ironically, and now people have convinced themselves that it wasn't ironically.  Yes, it was.  The guy is decent at what he does but the fervor is so feigned that even the actors don't know they're acting.  Don't arbitrarily put him in things unless he belongs. "
I find your hate for NPH disgusting.
Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw

The title of this article alone sold me on this game.

Moderator
Posted by Venatio

This is some very good news indeed, NPH is awesome

Posted by Dalai

I think he can pull off the part of Green Lantern Spider-Man. Not sure about the others.

Posted by Camurai

There is no such thing as too much Neil Patrick Harris.

Posted by TaliciaDragonsong

This topic needs more Dr Horrible.

Posted by Faint

NPH WOULDN'T DO THAT

Posted by Diabloshadow
@Hockeymask27: You sir have won the internets.
Posted by Jedted

I had a feeling that they'd pick him for either the Amazing or Ultimate versions so this is a welcome surprise.  Actually i'm surprised nobody figured it out by now, i'd think somebody would have recognized his voice from the earlier trailers. 
 
Posted by shiro11
@Toxin066: @Toxin066 said:

" NPH in a game? SOLD.  Still curious as to why "Symbiote" is called "Ultimate". Will it be based off teenaged Parker from the Ultimate Spiderman series? The symbiote was present for a very short time in those comics. "

It's based off the ultimate spider man universe and the reason why they went with the black costume even though he wears it for like 1-2 issues is because they wanted to give it a GOW type action style of gameplay.    
Posted by ISuperGamerI
@Landon said:
" Well, he did a Spider-Man before, and he was pretty good in that. "
I don't remember which Spider-Man movie was it?
Posted by PJ
@ISuperGamerI said:
" @Landon said:
" Well, he did a Spider-Man before, and he was pretty good in that. "
I don't remember which Spider-Man movie was it? "
Use IMDB, its not that hard to find out :)
Posted by Otzlowe
@Manhattan_Project said:
" @TadThuggish said:
" Neil Patrick Harris is done.  He was only "brought back" ironically, and now people have convinced themselves that it wasn't ironically.  Yes, it was.  The guy is decent at what he does but the fervor is so feigned that even the actors don't know they're acting.  Don't arbitrarily put him in things unless he belongs. "
I find your hate for NPH disgusting. "
Verily.
Edited by Landon
@ISuperGamerI said:

" @Landon said:

" Well, he did a Spider-Man before, and he was pretty good in that. "
I don't remember which Spider-Man movie was it? "
He was Peter Parker in the short lived MTV Spider-Man tv show. Remember? It was all CGI and everyone look really weird, but I thought it was a pretty good show.
Posted by TadThuggish
@Manhattan_Project said:
" @TadThuggish said:
" Neil Patrick Harris is done.  He was only "brought back" ironically, and now people have convinced themselves that it wasn't ironically.  Yes, it was.  The guy is decent at what he does but the fervor is so feigned that even the actors don't know they're acting.  Don't arbitrarily put him in things unless he belongs. "
I find your hate for NPH disgusting. "
Thanks for proving my point!
Posted by Deusoma
@camozombie said:
" There is no such thing as too much Neil Patrick Harris. "
Posted by Manhattan_Project
@TadThuggish said:
" @Manhattan_Project said:
" @TadThuggish said:
" Neil Patrick Harris is done.  He was only "brought back" ironically, and now people have convinced themselves that it wasn't ironically.  Yes, it was.  The guy is decent at what he does but the fervor is so feigned that even the actors don't know they're acting.  Don't arbitrarily put him in things unless he belongs. "
I find your hate for NPH disgusting. "
Thanks for proving my point! "
Thanks for proving my point.
 
(See I can do it too!)
Posted by natetodamax

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Posted by Andorski

Make Captain Hammer and Dr. Horrible unlockable characters in the game and GOTY 2010 is a lock.

Posted by JeffGoldblum
@Manhattan_Project said:
" @TadThuggish said:
" @Manhattan_Project said:
" @TadThuggish said:
" Neil Patrick Harris is done.  He was only "brought back" ironically, and now people have convinced themselves that it wasn't ironically.  Yes, it was.  The guy is decent at what he does but the fervor is so feigned that even the actors don't know they're acting.  Don't arbitrarily put him in things unless he belongs. "
I find your hate for NPH disgusting. "
Thanks for proving my point! "
Thanks for proving my point.  (See I can do it too!) "
Thanks for proving my point! 
(I wanted to get in on the point proving action) 
Anyway NPH is one of the funniest actors working right now. I'm glad he's getting work.
Posted by mazik765
@JeffGoldblum said:
" @Manhattan_Project said:
" @TadThuggish said:
" @Manhattan_Project said:
" @TadThuggish said:
" Neil Patrick Harris is done.  He was only "brought back" ironically, and now people have convinced themselves that it wasn't ironically.  Yes, it was.  The guy is decent at what he does but the fervor is so feigned that even the actors don't know they're acting.  Don't arbitrarily put him in things unless he belongs. "
I find your hate for NPH disgusting. "
Thanks for proving my point! "
Thanks for proving my point.  (See I can do it too!) "
Thanks for proving my point! (I wanted to get in on the point proving action) Anyway NPH is one of the funniest actors working right now. I'm glad he's getting work. "
And thank YOU for proving MY point!
 
Seriously though, had you ever thought that the fact people love NPH is because he is GREAT at what he does? He was 'brought back' and people loved him. Plus I think he is a perfect candidate for the Amazing Spiderman. Spiderman has ALWAYS has a real corny sense of humour in the comics and that's one point I felt that the movies really failed to deliver on. I think NPH could do that kind of homour VERY successfully.
 
I LOVE to CAPITALIZE my WORDS. It ADDS a little bit of EMPHASIS.
Posted by ISuperGamerI
@Landon said:
" @ISuperGamerI said:

" @Landon said:

" Well, he did a Spider-Man before, and he was pretty good in that. "
I don't remember which Spider-Man movie was it? "
He was Peter Parker in the short lived MTV Spider-Man tv show. Remember? It was all CGI and everyone look really weird, but I thought it was a pretty good show. "
Nah I don't think I remember that but then again I haven't watched MTV since the 90s lol.
Posted by TadThuggish
@mazik765 said:
" @JeffGoldblum said:
" @Manhattan_Project said:
" @TadThuggish said:
" @Manhattan_Project said:
" @TadThuggish said:
" Neil Patrick Harris is done.  He was only "brought back" ironically, and now people have convinced themselves that it wasn't ironically.  Yes, it was.  The guy is decent at what he does but the fervor is so feigned that even the actors don't know they're acting.  Don't arbitrarily put him in things unless he belongs. "
I find your hate for NPH disgusting. "
Thanks for proving my point! "
Thanks for proving my point.  (See I can do it too!) "
Thanks for proving my point! (I wanted to get in on the point proving action) Anyway NPH is one of the funniest actors working right now. I'm glad he's getting work. "
And thank YOU for proving MY point!  Seriously though, had you ever thought that the fact people love NPH is because he is GREAT at what he does? He was 'brought back' and people loved him. Plus I think he is a perfect candidate for the Amazing Spiderman. Spiderman has ALWAYS has a real corny sense of humour in the comics and that's one point I felt that the movies really failed to deliver on. I think NPH could do that kind of homour VERY successfully.  I LOVE to CAPITALIZE my WORDS. It ADDS a little bit of EMPHASIS. "
Neil Patrick Harris is consistently good at what he does, but few people legitimately love him.  If you've been paying attention, you'll have recognized that NPH was brought back into the limelight once more because he wa a "random" celebrity that 4chan could make fun of.   It went from Vin Diesel, to Mr. T, to Chuck Norris, to "That Doogie Howser guy lol!"  Except this time around, NPH capitalized on his newly-found being-made-fun-of.
 
Very few people LOVE Neil Patrick Harris.  Very few people find his acting exceptional or incredible, and very few have personal feelings associated with him and his work.  People in this thread (and all over the internet) just write HELL YEAH NPH!!!1 because it wins them cool points online.  He's not beloved; he's a meme.  He's infinitely better than Rick Astley, but it's the same thing...Astley's album sales have increased thanks to Rick-Rolling being done over and over and over again to the point where some people don't even realize their love was ironic in the first place.  NPH is getting into everything, even things that he's not right for or don't require him, because he's the new meme and big-name companies want to capitalize on 14-year-olds thinking something's funny if they keep saying it over and over and over and over again.
 
I honestly feel bad for Harris, because he sees the roles and money raking in and thinking "Wow, people must really like me!  What a comeback!"  And while it's there it's not really because of his ability, it's because Family Guy pulled another name out of a hat to reference, to make the joke that "Doogie Howser = gay! lol!"  Hollywood has capitalized, and by now people are stuck in a loop, not realizing that the entire reason he's a noteworthy celebrity in 2010 is because we dug him up to point and laugh.  Remember the first Harold & Kumar?  He fulfilled a role that ANY small-name, outdated celebrity could fill for a silly "comeback" scene.  The guy has talent, but few people care about his talents as much as they do hopping on the ironic bandwagon.
Posted by LiquidPrince

Cool.

Posted by I_smell

Niel Patrick Harris is the coolest gay on the planet.
Also where the hell is the feature-length Dr Horrible? Where??

Posted by mazik765
@TadThuggish:  Well let me tell you that I legitimately enjoy NPH's work. I don't say that for 'internet cool points' because I know that the internet is filled with assholes and people who go to 4chan so I could care less about appearing cool on the interweb. I think you have a highly overinflated idea of the power 4chan holds. It is a website filled with assholes and I highly doubt that NPH would have as many people willing to spend money for his talent if it was a simple 4chan craze. 
 
The reason he worked in Harold and Kumar was because of the whole doctor thing. And he has since shown that he is authentically entertaining in many other rolls from Dr.Horrible's Sing-a-long blog and How I Met Your Mother (honestly him and Jason Segal make that show watchable). Rick Astely is a meme. Over 9000 is a meme. NPH is not a meme. Honestly I had not even heard of him on the internet before Harold and Kumar and even then it was only in reference to that movie.
 
I think it's hilarious though that you seem to think that Family Guy and 4chan have the ability to shape the direction of Hollywood though.
Edited by TadThuggish
@mazik765 said:

" @TadThuggish:  Well let me tell you that I legitimately enjoy NPH's work. I don't say that for 'internet cool points' because I know that the internet is filled with assholes and people who go to 4chan so I could care less about appearing cool on the interweb. I think you have a highly overinflated idea of the power 4chan holds. It is a website filled with assholes and I highly doubt that NPH would have as many people willing to spend money for his talent if it was a simple 4chan craze.   The reason he worked in Harold and Kumar was because of the whole doctor thing. And he has since shown that he is authentically entertaining in many other rolls from Dr.Horrible's Sing-a-long blog and How I Met Your Mother (honestly him and Jason Segal make that show watchable). Rick Astely is a meme. Over 9000 is a meme. NPH is not a meme. Honestly I had not even heard of him on the internet before Harold and Kumar and even then it was only in reference to that movie.  I think it's hilarious though that you seem to think that Family Guy and 4chan have the ability to shape the direction of Hollywood though. "

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL-hNMJvcyI
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uChGT9n5Oa8
Posted by mazik765
@TadThuggish:  So Rick Astely sang at a parade and Family Guy was nominated for an Emmy...your point being? I have seen far more obscure people sing at events like that so it's not really a surprise. And Family Guy is a popular show, that doesn't mean that people will love something just because it had a 30 second throw-away reference on it.
Posted by Manhattan_Project
@TadThuggish: Oorrrrr...people actually like him. Yeah, I think I'll go with that because I know a ton of people who like him for his work. 
 
So fuck off with your stupid generalizations.
Posted by granderojo

Every time I see something new on this game is looks better and better. I was just going to rent this, but I might need to just go out and buy it.

Posted by CL60

Does this mean homophobes wont play this game?

Posted by WilliamHenry
@TadThuggish said:
Neil Patrick Harris is consistently good at what he does, but few people legitimately love him.  If you've been paying attention, you'll have recognized that NPH was brought back into the limelight once more because he wa a "random" celebrity that 4chan could make fun of.   It went from Vin Diesel, to Mr. T, to Chuck Norris, to "That Doogie Howser guy lol!"  Except this time around, NPH capitalized on his newly-found being-made-fun-of.  Very few people LOVE Neil Patrick Harris.  Very few people find his acting exceptional or incredible, and very few have personal feelings associated with him and his work.  People in this thread (and all over the internet) just write HELL YEAH NPH!!!1 because it wins them cool points online.  He's not beloved; he's a meme.  He's infinitely better than Rick Astley, but it's the same thing...Astley's album sales have increased thanks to Rick-Rolling being done over and over and over again to the point where some people don't even realize their love was ironic in the first place.  NPH is getting into everything, even things that he's not right for or don't require him, because he's the new meme and big-name companies want to capitalize on 14-year-olds thinking something's funny if they keep saying it over and over and over and over again.  I honestly feel bad for Harris, because he sees the roles and money raking in and thinking "Wow, people must really like me!  What a comeback!"  And while it's there it's not really because of his ability, it's because Family Guy pulled another name out of a hat to reference, to make the joke that "Doogie Howser = gay! lol!"  Hollywood has capitalized, and by now people are stuck in a loop, not realizing that the entire reason he's a noteworthy celebrity in 2010 is because we dug him up to point and laugh.  Remember the first Harold & Kumar?  He fulfilled a role that ANY small-name, outdated celebrity could fill for a silly "comeback" scene.  The guy has talent, but few people care about his talents as much as they do hopping on the ironic bandwagon. "

Wow, what a douchebag. So because you don't like him, you just assume that no one else can and everyone just acts like they do so they can look cool online? Someone doesn't star in a hit tv show for 5+ years, get nominated for countless awards, have a huge career comeback, etc because people pretend to like him on the internet.
Posted by Ersanven

My interest in this game has suddenly hit interested.

Posted by CrazyContrero

NPH as Spider-man? I'm in!

  • 84 results
  • 1
  • 2