According to the fine folks at Shacknews, here is the NPD Group's list of the ten best selling console games of 2008.
- Wii Play (Nintendo, Wii) - 5.28 million
- Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo, Wii) - 5 million
- Wii Fit (Nintendo, Wii) - 4.53 million
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo, Wii) - 4.17 million
- Grand Theft Auto IV (Rockstar North, Xbox 360) - 3.29 million
- Call of Duty: World at War (Treyarch, Xbox 360) - 2.75 million
- Gears of War 2 (Epic, Xbox 360) - 2.31 million
- Grand Theft Auto IV (Rockstar North, PS3) - 1.89 million
- Madden NFL 09 (EA Tiburon, Xbox 360) - 1.87 million
- Mario Kart DS (Nintendo, DS) - 1.65 million
These numbers combine collector's editions and regular packaging together as one. Also keep in mind that Wii Play comes with a Wii Remote, making it a sound choice for new Wii owners looking for an additional Remote. At least, that's what I keep telling myself. If the world just happens to be way, way into Wii Play, I don't think I'd be able to sleep at night. It's not awful or anything, but... well, it's hardly good enough to sell that many copies on quality alone. But that's probably not a surprise to many of you, as Wii Play has been at or near the top of the monthly charts all along.
Regardless of pack-in Remotes and such, it's easy to see that Nintendo absolutely crushed every other game on the shelves, taking the first four slots on the list for Wii products, including the currently hard-to-find exercise thingy, Wii Fit. The non-Nintendo releases on the list don't seem like much of a surprise, either, with sequels to known franchises making up the rest of the list.
How many of these ten games do you own? Which unsung game do you wish more people saw last year?