Giant Bomb News

220 Comments

Nintendo Sold a Bunch of Hardware Last Week

1.2 million total pieces of gaming hardware were sold by the company over the last week, including around 400,000 Wii Us.

"Well, that's one down..."

Hey, a console launched last week! I know, right? A real, honest-to-god new console, something we haven't had since 2006. In console years, that was like a hundred years ago. Undoubtedly, you are all dying to know how well this new console, otherwise known as Nintendo's Wii U, did at retail its opening week. The answer is...

400,000! At least, that's the number Nintendo is touting in its hardware sales round-up for the last week. According to a statement released to CNET, that number has left the Wii U "essentially sold out of retail." That would seem to jive with personal accounts from various Internet users, who have often reported seeing one or two consoles at most available at stores.

That 400,000 number is down from the 600,000 sold by the original Wii in its launch week. As many may remember, the Wii was almost completely sold out of retail for long periods following its launch, and continued to sell out shipments for weeks afterward. Incidentally, Nintendo reports that it sold 300,000 original Wii units last week.

Between Wiis and handheld systems, Nintendo pulled out a total of 1.2 million hardware units sold last week, which is certainly a tidy number. While the Wii U's near sellout is a positive sign for the hardware maker, it'll be interesting to see how the console does as it becomes more readily available in stores. Would also be curious to see how software attach rates are sussing out.

For purely anecdotal research, a question: Did you grab a Wii U this past week? And if so, what games did you grab with it?

Alex Navarro on Google+
220 Comments
Posted by SupberUber

Nope. Not interested in beta testing a console. Maybe when they release the next Mario title.

Posted by Protonguy

A system released in late 2012 capable of barely matching/bettering 7-8 year old console hardware. I'll stick with my 4 year old PC which can still outperform every one of these consoles. As an added bonus the PC lets me do my job and make money. Tough decision ;-).

All that aside I wish no malice to Nintendo, I really hope they pull this off. It would be a much duller world without Nintendo making consoles and games for them. They really do try and come up with new ideas.

Edited by Wakka

I haven't really been enthused with any console in the seventh gen; I'm not, either, expecting a turnaround in the next. I think a lot of it has to do with the overhead involved in making games, and developers, thus, putting out the safest (or tritest) game possible instead of a novel one, which, because it's novel, might or might not find a sizable enough audience to turn a profit. I get excited when I see a game being something different, but that sort of game doesn't happen as much as I'd like. Although the Wii U itself looks different, so did the Wii, but none of its games really were -- I don't think. That's my outlook on the Wii U, and the gaming industry itself, more of the same.

Maybe in a time of economic expansion, without an oligarchy of companies and instead a diversity of independent developers, with low unemployment and decent living wages, everyone could be pandered to. Reality, however, is the opposite. Hence, I can't wait to play Call of Duty 26: The Eighth Re-enactment of WWII in the future. Or can I? =P

Posted by Fattony12000

In other home-based SCART-connected video system console gaming computer news...

Microsoft sells 750,000 Xbox consoles on Black Friday weekend after seven years of sales

Microsoft revealed today that it has sold more than 750,000 Xbox 360 consoles in the US on Black Friday weekend. Despite being seven years old, the Xbox 360's strong Black Friday sales follow 22 months as the top selling console in the US, according to NPD figures. While the sales are impressive, Microsoft managed to sell more than 960,000 consoles in the US during the week of Black Friday last year, with 800,000 sold within a period of 24 hours.

Microsoft now faces increased competition from Nintendo's Wii U console, which debuted in the US earlier this month. The Wii U sales surpassed 400,000 during its launch week, with the original Wii still commanding 300,000 sales. The surprising spike in sales for the Xbox 360 comes shortly after the release of Halo 4 and Call of Duty: Black Ops II, both popular titles this holiday season. NPD sales data will be available in early December, which will determine the top performer for November, but it looks like Microsoft will likely hold on to its bestselling record, for now.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/27/3698428/microsoft-xbox-360-black-friday-sales-figures-2012

Posted by nmeckelvaney

750,000 XBox360's last week...

Posted by BPRJCTX

@Fattony12000 said:

In other home-based SCART-connected video system console gaming computer news...

Microsoft sells 750,000 Xbox consoles on Black Friday weekend after seven years of sales

Microsoft revealed today that it has sold more than 750,000 Xbox 360 consoles in the US on Black Friday weekend. Despite being seven years old, the Xbox 360's strong Black Friday sales follow 22 months as the top selling console in the US, according to NPD figures. While the sales are impressive, Microsoft managed to sell more than 960,000 consoles in the US during the week of Black Friday last year, with 800,000 sold within a period of 24 hours.

Microsoft now faces increased competition from Nintendo's Wii U console, which debuted in the US earlier this month. The Wii U sales surpassed 400,000 during its launch week, with the original Wii still commanding 300,000 sales. The surprising spike in sales for the Xbox 360 comes shortly after the release of Halo 4 and Call of Duty: Black Ops II, both popular titles this holiday season. NPD sales data will be available in early December, which will determine the top performer for November, but it looks like Microsoft will likely hold on to its bestselling record, for now.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/27/3698428/microsoft-xbox-360-black-friday-sales-figures-2012

Wow... When i saw the number of Wii U's sold in the article, i tought to myself, that seeems low... But maybe it's just the economy, and the industry is down for everybody, but man... Those 360 sales, really make Nintendo look bad.

A 7 year old console sold more than a new Nintedo console.

I don't know man, i don't think Nintendo is happy, and i fear that if the Wii U doesn't become the new fad like the Wii did, Nintendo is gonna be in a really bad spot pretty soon.

Posted by kurtkless

I walked into a toysRus and found one on launch day afternoon.... Couldn't help but get it, it was a white model, got it with SMB2 and nintendoland. On a side note, every big box store I have been in this black friday weekend has had at least 1 if not more units in stock (Atlanta GA and Athens OH). I'm thinking there are more out there and this is not selling as well as they expected. How many current wii owners even knew that this was launching?

Posted by Nettacki
@thebigJ_A said:

Since I built a proper gaming PC last year, (it's not as expensive, nor anything like as difficult, as you think. Everyone should try it. Even you. Yes, you.) the release of new consoles, which used to get me excited, is completely irrelevant. As far as power goes, I'm already two generations ahead of whatever the NEXT xbox or Playstation can do. I also have a far larger variety of games, and they all look better. Sure, there's always one or two games exclusive to the console I'd like to play (ZombieU in this case), but weigh that against the dozens or hundreds of games only a PC gamer has access to. Hell, there are entire genres of games that are exclusive to PCs.

In other words, what's a console, and why do people still care?

And yet, more people still buy more consoles and games on consoles than they buy PC games. Gee, I wonder why?
Posted by Nettacki
@Orbitz89 said:
Part of me really wants a Wii U simply because it's a new console.. The other part is screaming at me to wait and see how it goes. The latter part is winning so far, just barely lol.
For me, the latter part has won without any challenge from the former.
Edited by thebigJ_A

@Nettacki said:

@thebigJ_A said:

Since I built a proper gaming PC last year, (it's not as expensive, nor anything like as difficult, as you think. Everyone should try it. Even you. Yes, you.) the release of new consoles, which used to get me excited, is completely irrelevant. As far as power goes, I'm already two generations ahead of whatever the NEXT xbox or Playstation can do. I also have a far larger variety of games, and they all look better. Sure, there's always one or two games exclusive to the console I'd like to play (ZombieU in this case), but weigh that against the dozens or hundreds of games only a PC gamer has access to. Hell, there are entire genres of games that are exclusive to PCs.

In other words, what's a console, and why do people still care?

And yet, more people still buy more consoles and games on consoles than they buy PC games. Gee, I wonder why?

It's easy to make bald assertions, but can you back them up with data? The majority of PC game sales are direct download, and none of those are reported in overall gaming sales figures (like, say, NPD). Consumer reporting still hasn't caught up with the times. Hell, just look at Steam. They doubled in sales last year. And each of the six years before that. http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/06/steam-sales-increase-100-percent-for-the-seventh-straight-year/

In other words, don't just say things because you feel like they're true.

Posted by lazerbot

I didn't pick one up and I probably won't until early next year when I get my tax return. By then I am hoping some more impressive titles come out, but just for fun if I had to pick up some games with it today, I'd probably go with Zombi U and Assassin's Creed 3. Maybe Madden if I was feeling particularly generous.

Posted by Nettacki
@thebigJ_A: That seems impressive, but where's a straight up sales figure in number of purchases made? Don't get me wrong, I have no doubts about Steam's big-time success, but a more specific sales figure would be nice.
Edited by Spectrea

@Nettacki said:

@thebigJ_A: That seems impressive, but where's a straight up sales figure in number of purchases made? Don't get me wrong, I have no doubts about Steam's big-time success, but a more specific sales figure would be nice.

There isnt any, they dont get reported. When you consider some of the biggest selling games of all time are pc games, omitting online sales aswell, then you have to wonder why they omit. Diablo 3 for example sold 10 million copies. How many more do you think bought online? Unless that does include online aswell, i am not sure it seems vague in its citations, despite saying the NPD omits it in the paragraph above.

Posted by Orbitz89

@Nettacki: You either have a strong resolve, or just a lot of common sense.. maybe both, Either way I'm envious of you!

Posted by iAmJohn

@BPRJCTX said:

@Fattony12000 said:

In other home-based SCART-connected video system console gaming computer news...

Microsoft sells 750,000 Xbox consoles on Black Friday weekend after seven years of sales

Microsoft revealed today that it has sold more than 750,000 Xbox 360 consoles in the US on Black Friday weekend. Despite being seven years old, the Xbox 360's strong Black Friday sales follow 22 months as the top selling console in the US, according to NPD figures. While the sales are impressive, Microsoft managed to sell more than 960,000 consoles in the US during the week of Black Friday last year, with 800,000 sold within a period of 24 hours.

Microsoft now faces increased competition from Nintendo's Wii U console, which debuted in the US earlier this month. The Wii U sales surpassed 400,000 during its launch week, with the original Wii still commanding 300,000 sales. The surprising spike in sales for the Xbox 360 comes shortly after the release of Halo 4 and Call of Duty: Black Ops II, both popular titles this holiday season. NPD sales data will be available in early December, which will determine the top performer for November, but it looks like Microsoft will likely hold on to its bestselling record, for now.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/27/3698428/microsoft-xbox-360-black-friday-sales-figures-2012

Wow... When i saw the number of Wii U's sold in the article, i tought to myself, that seeems low... But maybe it's just the economy, and the industry is down for everybody, but man... Those 360 sales, really make Nintendo look bad.

A 7 year old console sold more than a new Nintedo console.

I don't know man, i don't think Nintendo is happy, and i fear that if the Wii U doesn't become the new fad like the Wii did, Nintendo is gonna be in a really bad spot pretty soon.

The PS2 outsold both the Wii and the 360 (to say nothing of PS3) in the Wii's first month out, too. It's a seven year old console, which means there's a ton of really competitive deals for it, the Kinect, which currently (inexplicably) still has zeitgeist on its side, and scores of excellent games you can get for really cheap. It really shouldn't be that surprising.

Edited by pandorasbox

@iAmJohn said:

Kinect, which currently (inexplicably) still has zeitgeist on its side, and scores of excellent games you can get for really cheap. It really shouldn't be that surprising.

What?

Edit: Also, you should keep in mind that the original Wii completely sold out in the first week of it's release. The market went COMPLETELY dry. It was literally impossible for the original Wii to sell more units, because there were zero more units to be sold. The situation is different for the WiiU.

Posted by iAmJohn

@pandorasbox said:

@iAmJohn said:

Kinect, which currently (inexplicably) still has zeitgeist on its side, and scores of excellent games you can get for really cheap. It really shouldn't be that surprising.

What?

Edit: Also, you should keep in mind that the original Wii completely sold out in the first week of it's release. The market went COMPLETELY dry. It was literally impossible for the original Wii to sell more units, because there were zero more units to be sold. The situation is different for the WiiU.

The Kinect is still popular for god knows what reason, and the 360 has a ton of excellent games that you can get for really cheap now because they're super old. Where is the problem with what I wrote?

And while it's true that the Wii sold out relatively quickly and had supply chain issues for a long time (didn't stop me from being able to walk into a random FYE and grab one for regular price that December, though) bear in mind that 2006 also had a much stronger economy and a more marketably unique system at a lower price point. And yet even with all that, the Wii U still managed to do close to the Wii's numbers and is sold out in a lot of places in spite of the conflicting reports. (I live in New York, and unless there's some Gamestop in the Bronx with them that no one's talking about, pretty much the only way to get a deluxe is to line up outside the Nintendo Store before it opens.)

My point being, much like people did when the 3DS stumbled out the gate, people are so eager to call this Nintendo's waterloo that they're ignoring the realities of the market and the trends of the previous systems.

Edited by Blue_Sheild

Nope. I am waiting. After getting the DS and Wii at launch, I've learned my lesson about buying hardware at launch, and with the issues/bugs the Wii U is having at launch (load times, freezing, online connection issues, no TVii, etc.), sounds as if I made the right choice. I'll probably buy it in 12-18 months after launch, like I did with the 3DS XL, when it has (hopefully) gained a few good/great titles, and the bugs have (hopefully) been fixed/improved.

Posted by Eldave0

Wasn't planning on buying one right away but GB's Quicklook of ZombiU tipped me over the edge and I preordered a WiiU and ZombiU (plus Mario for the Mrs) earlier this week - fingers crossed Blockbuster get the order through in time!

Decided to get the 8GB version as I have no interest in NintendoLand and I'm going to use an External HDD anywho.

Posted by Pseudonymous

The Wii U is not a next gen console and is still based on old tech. A giant controller with a screen may appeal to the kiddies, but any seasoned gamer knows to save there money for something worth their money. You Nintendo fanboys and girls may get a lil butt-hurt over this comment, but that is because you are in denial and can't handle the truth.