Giant Bomb News

104 Comments

Tomb Raider HD Trilogy Hitting PS3 This March

How about a prettier way to catch up on your Tomb Raider?

Just in case you haven’t been following the hottest video game-related gossip, I’ll start with this: Crystal Dynamics is re-releasing Tomb Raider Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld in a pack called “The Tomb Raider Trilogy.” As you’d suspect, the set will feature HD versions of all these titles.

Publisher Square Enix has confirmed that this latest HD trilogy set is a PS3 exclusive and also announced that it will contain a few bonuses. To be specific, it’ll ship with an “exclusive static theme pack,” some behind-the-scenes trailers, and a Lara Croft and a Viking Thrall PlayStation Home avatar.  
 

This wallpaper (and three Tomb Raider games) could be yours for just $39.99!     
 
And, hey, Square also confirmed a release date and a price: the pack will debut on March 22 for $39.99--a steal, I suppose, if you’re a Tomb Raider fan with a desire to see why Crystal Dynamics is rebooting the series with Tomb Raider later on in 2011. 
104 Comments
  • 104 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Posted by Klei

Problem with these games is that they're not old enough to be granted a HD remake. Look, they're all current-gen games. Plus, they're quite... ordinary. Especially with the Uncharted games.

Posted by Tesla

Ugh...this is an abortion on just about every level.  "HD" remakes of current gen games, horrible box art, and bonuses for Home? 
 
I was excited, thinking this was the original trilogy, which I would have picked up.  Too bad...

Edited by spazmaster666
@benjaebe said:

Tomb Raider: Legend = 1024x600 (2xAA) I'm not sure what Anniversary ran at, but since it ran on the Legend engine it's probably the same. Underworld actually ran at 1024x576 (2xAA) with a depth buffer of 1040x576. "

That's just the 360 versions though. All three also came out for the PC and could be run at 2560x1600 with 8xAA/16xAF (with better texture quality and effects as well) if you wanted to. 
Posted by mikesmith

Moving crates in 1080p totally change the game

Edited by benjaebe
@spazmaster666 said:

" @benjaebe said:

Tomb Raider: Legend = 1024x600 (2xAA) I'm not sure what Anniversary ran at, but since it ran on the Legend engine it's probably the same. Underworld actually ran at 1024x576 (2xAA) with a depth buffer of 1040x576. "
This is a moot point. All three also came out for the PC and could run at 1080p and beyond. "
Except that the PC isn't a console so we're not talking about that and the PS3 never had releases of Legend or Anniversary. You can emulate Ico or Shadow of the Colossus at 1080p on PC but that doesn't make an HD-rerelease of those games on the PS3 any less valid. I don't see anything wrong with this release, especially when two of those games never appeared on the PS3 in the first place and weren't in HD to begin with.
Posted by spazmaster666
@benjaebe said:
Except that the PC isn't a console so we're not talking about that and the PS3 never had releases of Legend of Anniversary. You can emulate Ico or Shadow of the Colossus at 1080p on PC but that doesn't make an HD-rerelease of those games on the PS3 any less valid. I don't see anything wrong with this release, especially when two of those games never appeared on the PS3 in the first place and weren't in HD to begin with. "
How is it relevant that the PC isn't a "console." It is a major gaming platform. The PC versions of those games weren't emulated versions either, they were official releases. Saying that this is an HD-remastering when all three previous games were already made in HD makes no sense aside from a purely marketing point of view. Also Tomb Raider Underworld actually ran at 720p with 2xAA on the PS3 which makes the labeling even more nonsensical.
Posted by Nettacki
@Klei said:
" Problem with these games is that they're not old enough to be granted a HD remake. Look, they're all current-gen games. Plus, they're quite... ordinary. Especially with the Uncharted games. "
Actually, only Underworld is a current-gen game. The other two are last-gen
Posted by benjaebe
@spazmaster666 said:
" @benjaebe said:
Except that the PC isn't a console so we're not talking about that and the PS3 never had releases of Legend of Anniversary. You can emulate Ico or Shadow of the Colossus at 1080p on PC but that doesn't make an HD-rerelease of those games on the PS3 any less valid. I don't see anything wrong with this release, especially when two of those games never appeared on the PS3 in the first place and weren't in HD to begin with. "
How is it relevant that the PC isn't a "console." It is a major gaming platform. The PC versions of those games weren't emulated versions either, they were official releases. Saying that this is an HD-remastering when all three previous games were already made in HD makes no sense aside from a purely marketing point of view. Also Tomb Raider Underworld actually ran at 720p with 2xAA on the PS3 which makes the labeling even more nonsensical. "
It's relevant because PC games and console games are two different markets- most console games are rendered at a way lower resolution than even a standard desktop screen nowadays and PC gamers have been playing in HD (commonly accepted as being at least 720p) for much longer than the Xbox 360 or PS3 have been out. Compared to the other releases of Anniversary and Legend, these versions will actually run and render at the least 720p, if not 1080p. This makes them actual HD and new to the platform. Underworld did indeed run at 720p though - the resolution I listed I grabbed from the 360 version. I'd like to point out that they aren't labeling Underworld as an HD remix, as you can see plainly on the box art.
Posted by RobertOrri

I loved Anniversary, Legend and Underworld. This is a great set for anyone who's not experienced these games.
 
However, I do chuckle a bit at the "last-gen" comments... the first two games both looked pretty darn good on the Xbox 360. They won't really be any better looking on the PS3, as I'm sure they're just using those exact same assets.

Posted by SiN13
@SlashDance said:
" How is this an HD re-release when all of those games have already been released on HD consoles ? "
Yeah I don't get it either. Just seems like a marketing trick.
Edited by spazmaster666
@benjaebe said:

It's relevant because PC games and console games are two different markets- most console games are rendered at a way lower resolution than even a standard desktop screen nowadays and PC gamers have been playing in HD (commonly accepted as being at least 720p) for much longer than the Xbox 360 or PS3 have been out. Compared to the other releases of Anniversary and Legend, these versions will actually run and render at the least 720p, if not 1080p. This makes them actual HD and new to the platform. Underworld did indeed run at 720p though - the resolution I listed I grabbed from the 360 version. I'd like to point out that they aren't labeling Underworld as an HD remix, as you can see plainly on the box art. "

HD remasters of PS2 games makes sense because they were games that were made and designed for the previous, non-HD generation of consoles. HD remasters of these three Tomb Raider games doesn't make sense because these are games made for the current generation of HD consoles. Even if they weren't technically running at 720p resolution, they were still current generation games designed for current generation hardware (and besides, a lot of games for the PS3 and 360 still don't run at 720p or above). Finally, for games, "HD" isn't just about resolution but about IQ (image quality). You can run a emulated version of a PS2 game on a PC at 1080p and it still won't look as good as a modern game run at 480p. I'm not even saying they shouldn't be putting out Anniversary or Legend for PS3 as people who want to play those games (but don't have a 360 or a good PC) should get to play them but calling this an "HD remaster" doesn't make sense.
Posted by benjaebe
@spazmaster666 said:
" @benjaebe said:
It's relevant because PC games and console games are two different markets- most console games are rendered at a way lower resolution than even a standard desktop screen nowadays and PC gamers have been playing in HD (commonly accepted as being at least 720p) for much longer than the Xbox 360 or PS3 have been out. Compared to the other releases of Anniversary and Legend, these versions will actually run and render at the least 720p, if not 1080p. This makes them actual HD and new to the platform. Underworld did indeed run at 720p though - the resolution I listed I grabbed from the 360 version. I'd like to point out that they aren't labeling Underworld as an HD remix, as you can see plainly on the box art. "
HD remasters of PS2 games makes sense because they were games that were made and designed for the previous, non-HD generation of consoles. HD remasters of these three Tomb Raider games doesn't make sense because these are games made for the current generation of HD consoles. even if they weren't technically running at 720p resolution, they were still current generation games designed for current generation hardware (and besides, a lot of games for the PS3 and 360 still don't run at 720p or above). Finally, "HD" isn't just about resolution. You can run a emulated version of a PS2 game on a PC at 1080p and it still won't look as good as a modern game run at 480p. "
I have a feeling we're just going to keep going back and forth on this. These games, barring Underworld which is not an HD re-release (and says so on the box art), have never been released on the PS3 in HD, no matter how you want to define HD. They only saw release on the Sony PlayStation 2 and PSP. For those gamers who didn't have access to either an Xbox 360 or a gaming computer to run them, it makes sense for Sony to label these games as HD remakes. It doesn't matter if they might be reusing and porting assets from HD versions of the game already released - for a PlayStation owner, this is an HD remake of two PlayStation 2 games that came out and they've included Underworld to round out the value, not claiming to have remastered it in high definition.
Posted by Tordah
@Karl said:
" I was hoping it was going to be the original  trilogy "
Same here.
Posted by spazmaster666
@benjaebe said:
I have a feeling we're just going to keep going back and forth on this. These games, barring Underworld which is not an HD re-release (and says so on the box art), have never been released on the PS3 in HD, no matter how you want to define HD. They only saw release on the Sony PlayStation 2 and PSP. For those gamers who didn't have access to either an Xbox 360 or a gaming computer to run them, it makes sense for Sony to label these games as HD remakes. It doesn't matter if they might be reusing and porting assets from HD versions of the game already released - for a PlayStation owner, this is an HD remake of two PlayStation 2 games that came out and they've included Underworld to round out the value, not claiming to have remastered it in high definition. "
I understand where you're coming from and I know that the whole HD rerelease thing is mainly a marketing ploy anyway but I'm just saying that it's a little weird that they're calling these two games HD remasters when they are probably just porting the game from the 360/PC build, not actually re-mastering the PS2 version.
Posted by aurahack

I don't get it. Didn't Legend and Underworld come out on 360? What's... what's HD about them now?

Posted by jonnyboy

Worth it just for legend, that game was great, no seriously.

Posted by Turbo_Toaster

EEEEWWW, I regrettably have all of these games and I hate myself for it. 

Posted by spazmaster666
@aurahack said:
" I don't get it. Didn't Legend and Underworld come out on 360? What's... what's HD about them now? "
The argument is that Legend and Anniversary are "HD remasters" because they originally only came out for PS2 and not the PS3 (of course I'm only referring to Sony home consoles). So for the Playstation-only crowd, this would be their only opportunity to play those two games in HD.
Posted by Karl
@MattyFTM: That's exactly what they are doing, which is a real shame. It's an quick way to make easy while the work on the new Tomb Raider game.
Posted by Rossford85

Legend's fantastic. I never finished Anniversary and i'm still struggling with Underworld... I may pick this up...

Edited by WrenchNinja
@Manatassi said:

" @WrenchNinja:  So what the hell is HD anyway? they ran in 720p on the 360 when they came out.  I really don't get this one. Exactly what the heck do they mean by HD? 1080p? I guess that means half the games out for the PS3 and 360 aren't HD anymore?   Blegh.  "


They weren't 720p. Benjaebe has elaborated. And yeah, a lot of games are sub 720p on both platforms. Hell Halo 3 is only 600p.
 

@TorMasturba

said:

"This. "

More like miss!
Posted by GetEveryone

Yes, fucking please!

Anniversary is one of my favourite PS2 games.

Posted by McDunkin

Already have underworld on THE PC so it's in super HD.  Game is pretty good.

Posted by zityz
@XII_Sniper said:
" This is one HD trilogy that didn't really need to happen.  
 
@Seraphim84 said:
" Between this and Just Cause 2, it seems like Squeenix has some type of third person exploratory niche they're really getting into.  Good on them for maintaining those Eidos franchises "
Yeah but they'll never make a good thief game again... "
Thanks for reminding me about that. Now I'm a sad panda!
Posted by scarycrayons
@Turbo_Toaster said:
" EEEEWWW, I regrettably have all of these games and I hate myself for it.  "
If you honestly expect anyone to believe that you bought all three games in the series yourself to play, and are totally grossed out by that fact, you're not really fooling anyone!
 
It reminds me of people who say things like "EWWW DEAD OR ALIVE THAT GAME IS ONLY FOR PEOPLE WITH BAD TASTE IN GAMES IT ONLY SELLS BECAUSE OF BOOBS LOL I SHOULD KNOW I have all four main series games and the ps2 hardcore edition as well as the dreamcast version which also had those features and xtreme and DOAX2 WHICH IS TOTALLY DISGUSTING I HATE MYSELF FOR HAVING THESE GAMES I CANT BELIEVE I BOUGHT THEM!"
Posted by Astiaks

Trophy support for all 3 games? 
hell yes, count me in!
Posted by mark2000

It's probably just my imagination but this article sounds almost sarcastic for some reason.

Edited by boku

How about a Legacy of Kain (BO1&2 + SR1&2 + Defiance) HD remake, hmm? How about you just fucking do that instead, hmm CD?! Especially since that series is pretty damn old and could do with a HD remake. Unlike 3-4 year old games. 
 Also TR clearly needs a break. But no, no... you guys just keep on milking Lara. It will dry out eventually.

Posted by KennethHurt

sounds great

Posted by Vextroid

It was only a matter of time before someone was going to screw up the concept of a HD Classics collection. 
 
 
Also, to Eidos ... Wrong Trilogy!

Posted by Faint

is there somewhere i can find a list of all the HD remakes for PS3?

Posted by Klaimore

Some two very lame things about this one what the hell release an original trilogy I already played this "trilogy" and it wasn't that great. Also sorry if this has already been mentioned but Legends and Underworld were allready HD titles specially Underworld that made it to the PS3. I don't get it!

Posted by Whiteboy1102

I say fuck that shit, give me the fucking GEX trilogy in HD. Seeing as Crystal Dynamics made those back in the day.

Posted by Egge

So if this is the excessively nerdy definition of HD we're going to be stuck with from here on I gather we'll be seeing "HD" re-releases of Alan Wake and a bunch of other recent games as well.

Posted by AwfulHobo

I think I really lost track of the Tomb Raider franchise. Last one I ever played was 2 or "that one with the obstacle course and the butler you lock in the freezer".

Posted by Vigil80

I'm on board. The action in these three is superlative at best and acceptable at worst, and I somewhat regretted not buying them. Seems like the best opportunity.

Posted by Tebbit
@AwfulHobo said:
" I think I really lost track of the Tomb Raider franchise. Last one I ever played was 2 or "that one with the obstacle course and the butler you lock in the freezer". "
That was 3. Did the game ever actually direct you to lock the butler in the freezer? Because I did that as well, but I'm sure it's not something you were meant to do...
Posted by miscall

Hmm. I never played the original Tomb Raider games, at least beyond a demo, but I wouldn't mind giving this a try. The next-gen Tomb Raider games have been given mixed reviews, but it wouldn't hurt to give them a shot.

Posted by Christoffer

Oh great. I just played trough Underworld. It'll be a long time before I even consider another Tomb Raider game.
Posted by Nomin

But do they jiggle? is all that matters. 

Posted by TheMartino

I'm confused.  I thought these games were already released in HD.
 
High Definition High Definition Graphics! 
 
 
Also, for those of you that haven't played or have no opinion on these:
 
They are uh.  I guess the right word is flawed.  But I did enjoy them.  They have some neat redeeming qualities but by no means should be considered a high quality title.  But if you are bored it could be a fun romp.  Just watch out for those rogue cameras and awful combat.

Posted by dagas

I have them on 360 and PC (it was cheap on steam) already.

Posted by agentboolen

When reading the name of the title I thought it was going to be the original 3 Tomb Raiders from the PS1 era.  I don't think they would be that well received with such crappy controls but these 3 new games don't really get me excited since I already own 2 of them on the Xbox 360.  Also I like how they force the HD in the title, like the original Xbox 360 versions weren't HD??  Yea if I owned a PS3 I would be passing on this one, but I guess for PS3 players its a decent set to get, noting amazing though.

Posted by MrKlorox
@TheMartino said:
" I'm confused.  I thought these games were already released in HD.  High Definition High Definition Graphics!  "
Exactly. All three games are from this generation (albeit two were never released on PS3 according to the wiki) and something tells me there aren't going to be any graphical updates (even counting 720p>1080p native upscaling). This seems like just an excuse to throw all three on a blu-ray disc and let the PS3 users play a couple of the games.
 
Putting HD in the title is just sleazy marketing intended to trick people into thinking it's a better package than it is.
Posted by SpliTTMark
@MattyFTM said:
" So are these basically just ports of the 360 versions of Legend & Anniversary and the PS3 version of Underworld, bundled into one package on PS3? "
it might shock you but all three came out on ps2, that could be what they're using
sly cooper HD
god of war HD
blah blah
Posted by zepp

I've never played any of the Laura Croft games; provides me an ample opportunity to catch up I suppose!

Posted by dudeglove
@oatz said:
" @RhombusOfTerror said:
" @oatz said:
" I'D RAID HER TOMB IF YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING "
WOMB RAIDER. "
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT "
IT JUST GOT REAL
Posted by HitmanAgent47

I've already played the HD 1080p version of these games on the pc.

Posted by ptys

Nah...
 Can't wait for the new Tomb Raider though!

  • 104 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3