Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Asheron's Call

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Oct 31, 1999

A notable early MMORPG and the chief rival to EverQuest prior to the release of World of Warcraft.

Ever hear of Asheron's Call?

AsheronsCall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AsheronsCall

I'm just asking because I think this game is 50 years ahead of it's time, yet noone speaks about it. It's an MMORPG released in 1999, yet it had the most variety out of any game I've ever played. You could buy real estate in the game, & the weather physics were revolutionary. Dungeons had like 100 enemies but u could dodge them by strafing, instead of auto-dodging. I think this game deserves to be in the top 5 video games of all time, and I don't say this bluntly.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Fajita_Jim

I somewhat agree. As far as MMOs go, only this and Ultima Online were really what I would call fun, to me at least. 

One thing I really liked about AC was the vassal system, where you swore loyalty to another player and generated XP for them (it didn't deduct from your gained XP) which then filtered up the chain of command. It was a great system that encourage veteran players to help less experienced ones.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Akeldama

This guy has.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Branthog

I can't think of a single game - not even AC or Ultima - that compares to the scope and depth of sandboxiness and player-controlled experience of EVE. It's only too bad it requires that you essentially live your life in EVE to keep up. It's too bad games aren't really designed like any of these three anymore, though. The reason I play so little MMO stuff is that they're just single player RPGs in a shared world where you might occasionally walk past another guy who is also doing his own single player RPG experience. Meh.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By jorbear

I remember watching my dad play Asheron's Call when I was young. I still have the cloth map too!

MrRedwine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By MrRedwine

I had completely forgotten the vassal system. That was an awesome game.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Branthog
    @jorbear said:

I remember watching my dad play Asheron's Call when I was young. I still have the cloth map too!

And we even had *internet* and *cell phones* way back then, too! I know, I know - it wasn't all raw meat on a fire and carving wheels out of stone back in 1999.
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@Branthog said:

It's only too bad it requires that you essentially live your life in EVE to keep up.

As an avid Eve player, I'm going to have to disagree. Steep learning curve? Sure. Is it a very niche game? Definitely. Can it be boring sometimes? Maybe. However, saying you have to live your life in the game to keep up is a huge overstatement.

It's too bad games aren't really designed like any of these three anymore, though.

I definitely agree. I still play LotRO, WoW, and games like that from time to time, but I could definitely go for some more true sandbox MMOs.

Also, methinks the OP is the same user who seems to have a thing for creating new accounts, naming them after consoles/games/genres, and then posting semi-controversial topics in hopes of stirring up some trouble. I could be wrong obviously, but in any case, that shit has been happening too much lately.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lockwoodx

@Branthog said:

@jorbear said:

And we even had *internet* and *cell phones* way back then, too! I know, I know - it wasn't all raw meat on a fire and carving wheels out of stone back in 1999.

Internet and cell phones? You had it easy kid. All we had growing up was Dial-up and Beepers.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Branthog
    @BabyChooChoo said:

@Branthog said:

It's only too bad it requires that you essentially live your life in EVE to keep up.

As an avid Eve player, I'm going to have to disagree. Steep learning curve? Sure. Is it a very niche game? Definitely. Can it be boring sometimes? Maybe. However, saying you have to live your life in the game to keep up is a huge overstatement.

If you want to do anything really interesting, you need to invest a ridiculous amount of time, though. After five years of playing, I finally realized that and shut down both of my accounts and have been pretty good about not going back to it since February (even though the billions sitting in my account keeps whispering to me).

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By butano

1st MMO I'd ever played. Think I was like 10 at the time, and my family had just gotten a 2nd phone line for a dedicated 56k modem. The exploration in that game was phenomenal. I remember a guy making a portal to some high level area (I had no clue at the time, all it said was ????) and I blindly went in and got murdered by a bunch of Olthoi. Oh Dereth, good times were had.

oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By oatz

@Akeldama said:

This guy has.

I remember watching those videos years ago and feeling so bad for the guy. Obviously autistic, probably doesn't have any friends, filled with anger. A school shooter waiting to happen.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By owl_of_minerva

@Akeldama: @oatz: Goddamn it I just watched these. The "girl problem" vids are some of the most painful I've seen on youtube.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.