Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Game » consists of 32 releases. Released Oct 29, 2013

The sixth main installment of the Assassin's Creed franchise, set in the Caribbean during the age of piracy in the early 18th century. Players explore the memories of Edward Kenway, a charismatic pirate (turned reckless Assassin) and the grandfather of Connor Kenway, the protagonist of Assassin's Creed III.

I like pirates but hated the first AC, should I play this?

ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ImpendingFoil

Or is there just going to be so much story stuff going on that I will just be lost the entire time? I have friends that tell me I should play 2 and up since they are much better than the first but I never got around to it. I really like pirate stuff though so this does look interesting. Pretty much all I want to know is if the gameplay is better than the first game and how much of the backstory I really need to know.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Yes. The overarching modern-day narrative stuff seems a lot more in the background than previous games, and if you've only played the first AC you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much more varied and interesting the series has become since then.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By gaminghooligan

I think you should try it. There are so few pirate games of quality out there and this one seems like it's at least got the feeling swashbuckling down. It honestly feels less like assassins creed than I expected, which is a good thing since AC3 really pushed me away from playing anymore of them. After hearing the GB crew talk this one up during their ql I figured it was worth the money to try it. It still has some of the templar/assassin stuff but it seems to be taking a back seat so far (I'm 10% in according to the save) and Edward is way more like Ezio in that he is funny and likable.

One other thing to note. If you can I highly recommend the PC/current gen version of this. The console version I played was fine and nothing was missing game-play wise, but the visuals really took a hit on last gen hardware.

ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbitrarywater: @gaminghooligan: Thanks for the answers, they helped quite a bit. I would be playing on PS4 so after today's patch for the game it should look quite nice.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

Absolutey. The first Assassin's Creed is so far removed from what the series has become after 2 that it's mostly negligible at this point. The modern-day narrative (future narrative?) also takes such a backseat in this installment that you shouldn't feel the need to catch up. And besides, the modern-day narrative stuff from the previous games is not, in my opinion, worth caring about anyway.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

AC is so much better than it was when it first came out so don't let that deter you. AC 1 was practically just a concept of a game.

Thanks for the answers, they helped quite a bit. I would be playing on PS4 so after today's patch for the game it should look quite nice.

It sure does. Just watched it on the PS4 stream and it looks good on PS4 there (and I guess it has improved since).

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Question kind of related to this, so I don't want to start a new thread. I got AC4 for free with my 770, but I haven't played 3 yet. I beat 1 through Revelations and enjoyed all of them to varying degrees. I do intend to play 3 at some point (probably when it goes on sale on PC), but would I be alright playing 4 without playing 3?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaminghooligan said:

One other thing to note. If you can I highly recommend the PC/current gen version of this. The console version I played was fine and nothing was missing game-play wise, but the visuals really took a hit on last gen hardware.

I read this and I was super confused why you were recommending the PS3/360 version over PS4/One, until I realized those are now technically "current gen". I suspect that is going to happen a lot over the next few months.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CaLe

I think you'll enjoy the boat stuff if you like pirates. It's really well done.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

@gaminghooligan said:

I read this and I was super confused why you were recommending the PS3/360 version over PS4/One, until I realized those are now technically "current gen". I suspect that is going to happen a lot over the next few months.

Figured I better start getting use to writing it that way.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On a gameplay level, AC1 and Black Flag are so far removed from each other. It's been so many years and games later that it shouldn't be a problem for you. As far as backstory goes, it doesn't seem like you need to know that much from what I've heard.

And if you want to be a pirate, this seems like the game to play.

ilikepopcans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say I hated the first AC but loved 2 and brotherhood (liked revelations, eh on 3), so the AC1 comparison is somewhat not important. Have not play 4 yet but from the word around, I would say just jump into 4.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

@e30bmw said:

Question kind of related to this, so I don't want to start a new thread. I got AC4 for free with my 770, but I haven't played 3 yet. I beat 1 through Revelations and enjoyed all of them to varying degrees. I do intend to play 3 at some point (probably when it goes on sale on PC), but would I be alright playing 4 without playing 3?

The modern-day narrative in AC4 spoils the ending of AC3 if you care about that stuff.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By csl316

Avatar image for deactivated-58e114a345bdd
    deactivated-58e114a345bdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm not a big assassins creed guy nor a pirate guy but I love this game.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You really don't want to play this game. If all you care about is the pirate part of the game, then I suggest you play Sid Meier's Pirates! instead. It is way more of a pirate game than this pile of hot shit. It has actual action and the excitement of being a pirate. This game just has a pirate overlay on top of the dumbass story.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I can't stand AC 1 and 2, but I love this game.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By MEATBALL

Go for it, I think you'll like it and it's one of the better entry points in the series.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By hermes

Yes, probably. The truth is AC has changed a lot since the first one.

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Aviar

I played AC1 and have skipped the others until AC4. So far I don't feel like I have missed anything and AC4 is a GREAT game that you should not pass up.

Avatar image for sometimesavowel
    sometimesavowel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I skipped AC 1, started on 2 and made it maybe 10% before I lost interest. It's possible that it's just not your kind of game, which is fine. I can definitely see why it's worth checking out, though.

Avatar image for thelegendofmart
    TheLegendOfMart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AC2 and Brotherhood are the best of the series, Revelations was ok and AC3 was garbage.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Yes. AC2 improved over the first Assassin's Creed in every way and was the game that thing was supposed to be. Every other iteration is building off of AC2, and AC4 is the most expansive yet.

Palmlykta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You could buy this game or buy 2, brotherhood, revelation and III probably for the same price.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impendingfoil: Also from what I've played of this game it seems that this is like the start of another story arc since the main character from the 1st game's arc ended at 3 and I've been enjoying it so far. If you are not familiar with the controls you might have trouble with certain segments even though they are not hard controls, there are people who seem to have trouble with them for some reason.

There are times that a bit of finesse is needed in order to not accidentally climb up objects for example and I usually found that people who are pretty impatient or tend to have a bad habit of holding down the R2/RT while moving in the environment tend to accidentally climb up objects more. Also enemies are more aggressive from the get go but if you're used to action games it won't be hard.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By BBAlpert
    reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely, Definitely, Yes.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. This is basically AC 2 with awesome pirate stuff thrown in. Great, great game.

ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ImpendingFoil
    GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impendingfoil: I never had been super into the MP but Assassin's Creed MP is the only one of it's kind out there (in terms of console games) that has a cat and mouse feel with lots of mind games and is not completely dependent on skills and reflexes.

Palmlykta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@gaspower said:

@impendingfoil: I never had been super into the MP but Assassin's Creed MP is the only one of it's kind out there (in terms of console games) that has a cat and mouse feel with lots of mind games and is not completely dependent on skills and reflexes.

Yes, the MP seems kinda alright, I'll give it that.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never liked Assassins Creed and I love AC4. Granted, I've only played the first two and thought they were garbage. Haven't tried anything after AC2 until picking up Black Flag.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By Xeiphyer

Jump right on in! The differences from the very first game are pretty huge, its a much better and more varied game now.

The future stupid shit is almost completely nonexistent and the Pirating story is self contained so you'll be okay on that end.

Also, the pirating stuff is greaaaat!

wackstrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just got this game today on PS4, without having ever played any of the Assassin's Creed games before. It's one of the best games I've played in recent memory.

Since I haven't played AC before, I can't really compare Black Flag to previous games in the series, but I will say this: the pillaging and other pirate stuff is a blast. It's hard for me to explain it better than that, but trust me, you'll freaking love this game!

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Templars want to rule the world. The Assassins don't like the Templars. All the present day stuff is BS.

That's the story summed up for you. Go, enjoy.

neobendez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe you should give it a try! You might learn to like it in the long run..

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.