Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Game » consists of 32 releases. Released Oct 29, 2013

The sixth main installment of the Assassin's Creed franchise, set in the Caribbean during the age of piracy in the early 18th century. Players explore the memories of Edward Kenway, a charismatic pirate (turned reckless Assassin) and the grandfather of Connor Kenway, the protagonist of Assassin's Creed III.

Possibly the best AC yet! But whats to come next?

Avatar image for captain_lone_wolf
    Captain_Lone_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Captain_Lone_Wolf

Now i am not an expert on the Assassin's Creed franchise, but i have played enough to know what to expect. I never got into the series until Assassin's Creed III. Then i went through and played the rest of the games.

Now when you think of Assassin's Creed, you think of an assassin in old Europe (which is why i never played it in the first place). The newest Assassin's Creed took place in the American revolution, which game the series a new look. Now we're going to be in the Caribbean! Which is probably going to be the best Assassin's creed ever. So where will they go next? Are we going to jump back in time or go into the civil war or (i hope so much) one of the world wars? Then again making an Assassin's Creed that far in the future probably will be changing the idea of the game too much.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Asia would be cool. Old China preferably.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By nightriff

I love the Dark Ages and Crusades, my favorite time in history so I would love to see a return to that...I'm sure I'm the only one.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman

Then again making an Assassin's Creed that far in the future probably will be changing the idea of the game too much.

Changing the game too much is the opposite of what they should be worried about. God, just the idea of "Hey, let's throw out some locations and time periods that we can play the exact same game again in!" just bums be out.

Captain_Lone_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jjweatherman: That's why i never played it in the first place..it looked all the same. Lets hope this one will be good. I enjoyed ACiii enough.

Captain_Lone_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morningstar: Now there's an idea..That would be super cool! Like with a samuri theme maybe?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By JJWeatherman

@jjweatherman: That's why i never played it in the first place..it looked all the same. Lets hope this one will be good. I enjoyed ACiii enough.

Yeah, I'm actually playing III right now, and enjoying it for the most part. But gah. That series needs to not be exactly the same anymore. Hopefully they're able to come up with something.

Captain_Lone_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jjweatherman: I would like to see a spy game that is based on WWII with AC aspects but realistic aspects like Arma

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ares42

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-28-ubisoft-survey-public-on-future-assassins-creed-locations

The options listed are:

• The violent conflicts of the Imperial Dynasties in Medieval China
    • The advent of the mighty British Empire during Victorian England
    • The culmination of the Pharaoh Reign in Ancient Egypt
    • The invasion of the Americas by the Spanish Conquistadors
    • The confrontation between British colonists and native Americans during The American Revolution
    • The overthrow of the Tsar Empire by the Communists during the Russian Revolution
    • The Warlord Battles in Feudal Japan
    • The rise of Cesar's Empire in Ancient Rome

I dunno if they ever published the results, but AC 3 and 4 were obviously affected by the winner. I wouldn't be surprised if the runner up is next.

Captain_Lone_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jjweatherman: I written a bit of a story line for this "dream" game. Lol i want to be a game writer one day

Captain_Lone_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42: Hey, now heres a cool list...i don't see a WWII themed option.. :(

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I would love an AC title based off some east-Asian culture. I would really hope they study the culture, though. It would be easy to **** that up.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Assassin's Creed should just go full blown sci-fi and make some crazy future assassinating mechanics.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

In before someone yells "FEUDAL JAPAAAAAAAAN FAPFAPFAPFAPFAP" like a Weeaboo fuck knuckle.

Seriously though The Boxer Rebellion in China at the turn of last century is prime AC territory.

The uprising took place against a background of severe drought and economic disruption in response to the growth of foreign spheres of influence. Grievances ranged from political invasion ranging from the Opium Wars and economic incursions to Christian missionary work, which the weak Qing state could not overcome.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin said:

In before someone yells "FEUDAL JAPAAAAAAAAN FAPFAPFAPFAPFAP" like a Weeaboo fuck knuckle.

Seriously though The Boxer Rebellion in China at the turn of last century is prime AC territory.

The uprising took place against a background of severe drought and economic disruption in response to the growth of foreign spheres of influence. Grievances ranged from political invasion ranging from the Opium Wars and economic incursions to Christian missionary work, which the weak Qing state could not overcome.

No, Bioshock Infinite already did the Boxer Rebellion, only one game can include the Boxer Rebellion!

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Now i am not an expert on the Assassin's Creed franchise, but i have played enough to know what to expect. I never got into the series until Assassin's Creed III. Then i went through and played the rest of the games.

Now when you think of Assassin's Creed, you think of an assassin in old Europe (which is why i never played it in the first place). The newest Assassin's Creed took place in the American revolution, which game the series a new look. Now we're going to be in the Caribbean! Which is probably going to be the best Assassin's creed ever. So where will they go next? Are we going to jump back in time or go into the civil war or (i hope so much) one of the world wars? Then again making an Assassin's Creed that far in the future probably will be changing the idea of the game too much.

What? You know World War I and II weren't locations, they were wars fought - get this - over the world. And what the hell would you do? It needs to be a specific location... otherwise you may as well say the Iraq War.

It's gonna be Asia, they've milked everything else. Just set it in the future already!

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

How can it be the best AC when the main character isn't even an assassin?!?!

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How can it be the best AC when the main character isn't even an assassin?!?!

Define "main character". AC went off the rails from jump street with the animus.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I really just hope they change up the setting drastically enough from what they've done before. As far as suggestions, maybe feudal japan or even victorian england.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Japan. I want a japanese assassin. Sengoku era or something, It doesn't really matter but its good to have some of the larger castles to infiltrate.

I think you'll agree that Ninjas translate to assassins pretty easily, and there's some awesome ninja weapons to use. Plus katanas are badass.

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xeiphyer said:

Japan. I want a japanese assassin. Sengoku era or something, It doesn't really matter but its good to have some of the larger castles to infiltrate.

I think you'll agree that Ninjas translate to assassins pretty easily, and there's some awesome ninja weapons to use. Plus katanas are badass.

Japan, yeah. Ninjas used "ninjato" though not katanas...I think.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By awesomeusername

@tsutohiro: Edward Kenway is the main ancestor character in this game. He's not an assassin though. Just a pirate.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Latter day British Colonialism-era India. The 1857 rebellion is rife with opportunities for face and neck stabbings.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best AC will be the one they do after they stop with the annual bullshit and take their time.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Clonedzero

@tsutohiro: Edward Kenway is the main ancestor character in this game. He's not an assassin though. Just a pirate.

I'm pretty sure he's an assassin...They said so in alot of trailers and preview videos.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@ares42 said:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-28-ubisoft-survey-public-on-future-assassins-creed-locations

The options listed are:

• The violent conflicts of the Imperial Dynasties in Medieval China
    • The advent of the mighty British Empire during Victorian England
    • The culmination of the Pharaoh Reign in Ancient Egypt
    • The invasion of the Americas by the Spanish Conquistadors
    • The confrontation between British colonists and native Americans during The American Revolution
    • The overthrow of the Tsar Empire by the Communists during the Russian Revolution
    • The Warlord Battles in Feudal Japan
    • The rise of Cesar's Empire in Ancient Rome

I dunno if they ever published the results, but AC 3 and 4 were obviously affected by the winner. I wouldn't be surprised if the runner up is next.

They had a Rome option? Really? I suppose Ancient Rome would be very different than it was in Brotherhood, but still.

The Warlord Battles in Feudal Japan would be my choice. The Architecture and landscape are very different from prior AC's. And the tone of the game would have to be darker than the last few AC games and more in line with the original.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clonedzero: Here's a quote from an interview with the lead writer, Darby McDevitt:

The story of ACIV is very different from the games before, especially because we made the decision to make Edward a pirate and not an Assassin. He has Assassin friends, he mixes with them, he actually has Templar acquaintances as well. I like to think of him as a pirate who steals people’s gold, but he also steals people’s techniques. He takes from the Assassins what he likes, and he leaves behind what he doesn’t like. I thought it was important to do that, simply for the sake of refreshing what we’ve seen before.

So he pretty much flips sides whenever it's convenient to him. He isn't an assassin but he's been trained by them and he doesn't follow the Creed. He believes "Nothing is true. Everything is permitted." means exactly what it says so he doesn't follow the true meaning.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

They would have to do something really interesting and drastically different from prior games to get me back on board. AC IV will be the first mainline game in the series that I don't get. I didn't even hate AC III like some people did (though I certainly didn't love it either). The underwhelming nature of both Revelations and AC III have really tempered my interest in the series to a nearly nonexistent level.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as I want an AC set in Medieval China, where there were secret police who worked under the emperor and various powerful factions in the imperial court, the Western obsession with Japan, ninja, and samurai would pretty much guarantee that there may never be a game that is set in historical China.

But hey, AC: Revelations was kind of about the Ottoman Empire, which probably didn't have as many fans either. To be honest, as long as they can tell a GOOD story for once, I don't care where they set it.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Andorski

another day - assassins creed in ancient china painte by digital artist chao yuan xu

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

No more Assassin's Creed games preferably. A blank void with the words "we made too many of these" in the centre that you can stab and throw sand at.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#33  Edited By Kidavenger

I have high hopes for 4, but I vastly preferred the renaissance period setting; it's led me to read into the period and characters which is a pretty rare accomplishment for a video game. I didn't mind AC3 but it felt decidedly less epic than the previous games and 4 doesn't seem like it will have any real historically significant tie ins at all.

Captain_Lone_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pandabear: Actually the main part of WWI was fought in Europe. The same goes for WWII except the marines were fighting in the pacific. The spies of WWII were the Gestapo and OSS including many others. They mainly operated in Europe. Of course the game would be based in Europe, hopefully the pleyer would be an OSS agent.

P.S.

They were called World Wars because a country or countries wanted to take over the world. But never made it past northern Africa. It was't fought all over the world.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@pandabear: Actually the main part of WWI was fought in Europe. The same goes for WWII except the marines were fighting in the pacific. The spies of WWII were the Gestapo and OSS including many others. They mainly operated in Europe. Of course the game would be based in Europe, hopefully the pleyer would be an OSS agent.

P.S.

They were called World Wars because a country or countries wanted to take over the world. But never made it past northern Africa. It was't fought all over the world.

I'll tell the people of Australia (my country) that we weren't in fact bombed by Japan during WWII shall I? And those Australian soldiers that died in Papua fighting the Japanese or the Gallipoli campaign? I guess they didn't happen during WWI?

It was fought all over the world. WWI and II were about economics and imperialism, not full world domination and to say otherwise... it's disrespectful.

lubermans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Harlem Renaissance?

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't mind some focus on something new. The AssCreed games are getting tired.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By Rowr

Well since they are kind of theming these now and they just did pirates.

The obvious solution is to now move to ninjas.

And then zombies.

Captain_Lone_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pandabear: Woah bro. I mean no disrespect. I know Australia got bombed and bad. When i say they never got past Africa I meant the Germans. Look man i mean no disrespect to no one. I was just saying that a WWII AC game wouldn't be hard to make.

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Middle Eastern settings are always cool.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clearly space, cause that's where everything goes in the end.

But they already did make a chinese assassin. She got referenced in 3 and was in that little movie about Ezio.
    It'd also be really interesting since apparantly the chinese assassins don't use hidden blades. Imagine an AC game without the hidden blade.

Avatar image for renegadedoppelganger
    RenegadeDoppelganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

There has been a bunch of stuff in the previous games which point to Egypt. There's some Assassin lineage and some important FC stuff there too. Especially with the way AC3 ended I can definitely see way they could take the series there. Could be refreshing to move away from the the current crew of Assassins to someone completely different.

Captain_Lone_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for renegadedoppelganger
    RenegadeDoppelganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Some digging around the AsCreed wiki is required. The Egypt page links to various items throughout the games. There was definitely a wing of the Brotherhood there led by several descendants of Altair. Cleopatra was assassinated by a member of the brotherhood. There were at one time, two pieces of eden in egypt. 1 being the shroud of turin that Moses wielded and the other a staff. William Miles also went to Cairo to find one of the power sources for the Grand Temple. Who know what else FC left behind. There is certainly enough of a basis to do a game set in ancient egypt. It would certainly be the game set earliest in the timeline so potentially a lot more interaction with FC stuff and pieces of eden.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.