You play as connor's assassin\pirate grandfather.

• 64 results
#1 Edited by JZ (2125 posts) -

Examiner claims to have the first screenshot and details. It is said to star Edward Kenway, a known Privateer and the father of Haytham Kenway from Assassin’s Creed III, and is set in the Carribean on islands including Jamaica, Cuba, and the Bahamas. It’s currently running on current generation hardware, but is planned for next-gen as well, according to the report. Here is a picture of him from the back

<p>http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/AC4BF-Screen-Leak.jpg</p>

#2 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4207 posts) -

Wow?! Huh. All those islands sound cool. But, being the father of Haytham would be weird. But ah, sure! ~ Also, apparently this will get announced tomorrow, not Thursday.. Kay, cool.

#3 Posted by LTSmash (624 posts) -

It makes sense given the amount of work they seemed to put into the naval sequences in Assassin's Creed 3.

#4 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

I'm already sold they are giving me exactly what I asked for.

#5 Edited by Yummylee (21615 posts) -

Fucking pirates, it's about time!

#6 Posted by awesomeusername (4183 posts) -

As much as AC3 disappointed me & I want to boycott AC from now on, I know I'm going to get this. I hate me & Ubisoft!

#7 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2160 posts) -

Sounds great and all, but there really isn't any point in following Desmond's lineage after 3.

#8 Posted by Toxin066 (3287 posts) -

At first I was like AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH. But now I'm like, ahoy.

No seriously, there aren't enough good pirate games so I'm totally down with this.

#9 Edited by PatODay (217 posts) -

I'm not expecting a lot from this series going forward, it's like Ubisoft took the only positively reviewed new mechanic from AC3 and built an entire game around it.

#10 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

I'm a bit confused, is the thread title saying you are playing as Connor's assassin, or that his grandfather is an assassin and a pirate?

#11 Edited by Yummylee (21615 posts) -

I'm a bit confused, is the thread title saying you are playing as Connor's assassin, or that his grandfather is an assassin and a pirate?

I'm pretty sure it's the latter.

#12 Posted by Zaccheus (1793 posts) -

The latter.

Ubisoft is reading my mind on this thing. Being a pirate is exactly what I want.

#13 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4207 posts) -

I wanna go to Cuba. Although., I don't know what I would be doing there in 1732, or whatever.. There's maybe a good pre-Castro character? I have no idea, I guess. ~ And are those rooftops gonna be that big?? Hm.

#14 Posted by Tajasaurus (859 posts) -

Sounds great and all, but there really isn't any point in following Desmond's lineage after 3.

Yeah, wasn't the whole point of the animus to relive the lives of your ancestors because that is in your DNA or something? Unless they keep using Desmond's ghost animus and just get some kind of related assassin dude to live through him or something.

#15 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

That sounds cool but I bet it's gonna be garbage. Assassin's Creed 3 sounded good too.

#16 Posted by Winternet (8018 posts) -
#17 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

Now it's time to catch up with the franchise...

#18 Posted by CollegeGuyMike (389 posts) -

As long as it's not soul-crushingly disappointing to a huge fan of the series, I guess I'm back in?

#19 Edited by pyromagnestir (4323 posts) -

Connor is really a time traveler, so he is his own grandfather and he's also a pirate and he assassinates himself. Spoilers.

#21 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

@SotoSaki said:

As long as it's not soul-crushingly disappointing to a huge fan of the series, I guess I'm back in?

What is your opinion on AC3? I consider myself a big fan of the series too, but a lot of opinions on 3 were bad... I haven't played it so far....

#22 Posted by Wikitoups (815 posts) -

@somedelicook said:

Connor is really a time traveler, so he is his own grandfather and he's also a pirate and he assassinates himself. Spoilers.

CONNOR IS A TIME LORD!!!!

#23 Posted by Jimbo (9809 posts) -

Basically sounds like what I wanted while playing AC3, so 'bravo'.

#24 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

So you don't stab dudes in the face as Henry Rollins? You've let us down again, Ubisoft.

#25 Posted by pyromagnestir (4323 posts) -

@pyromagnestir said:

@somedelicook said:

CONNOR IS A TIME LORD!!!!

A common misconception! Connor is not a time lord, but in fact was only conceived on the Tardis. However he can still regenerate. Also his grandmother is a Vogon. And she drove a Delorean.

#26 Edited by BaneFireLord (2933 posts) -

If Ubisoft can pull off for pirates what Rockstar did for westerns...

#27 Posted by StarvingGamer (8227 posts) -

@dallas_raines said:

Yeah, wasn't the whole point of the animus to relive the lives of your ancestors because that is in your DNA or something? Unless they keep using Desmond's ghost animus and just get some kind of related assassin dude to live through him or something.

Well, during the postlogue of AC3 you play as a group effectively attempting to hack Desmond's DNA. If you see it through to the end the DNA hackers are successful and they start uploading Desmond to the cloud. What that means, I don't know, but it's clear that they want Desmond's lineage to remain central to the overarching story of AC.

#28 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Fuck, I'm sold at the mention of pirates. It's all I've ever wanted D':

#29 Edited by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

@jimbo said:

Did the Caribbean have buildings to climb and did important people live there for us to assassinate?

A pirate game sounds fucking faaaantastic but these games should no longer bear the Assassin's Creed title because there has been very little assassinating and little to no creed in past years.

They should get back to the roots a little with this one, ditch the massively ridiculous story, and provide one with Assassins vs. Templars where we have a creed and our job is to climb our way to important dudes and assassinate them successfully. Sounds like a cool game!

#30 Edited by FLStyle (4693 posts) -

Sounds like Ubisoft must have got a lot of "MORE HAYTHAM!" feedback.

#31 Posted by Jimbo (9809 posts) -

@jimbo said:

Did the Caribbean have buildings to climb and did important people live there for us to assassinate?

A pirate game sounds fucking faaaantastic but these games should no longer bear the Assassin's Creed title because there has been very little assassinating and little to no creed in past years.

They should get back to the roots a little with this one, ditch the massively ridiculous story, and provide one with Assassins vs. Templars where we have a creed and our job is to climb our way to important dudes and assassinate them successfully. Sounds like a cool game!

To be fair I think I mostly just wanted to be playing big budget Pirates! / Sea Dogs while I was playing AC3, because the ship combat was the only good bit. A back-to-basics AC game would be pretty cool too though.

#32 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -
#33 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

Fuck yes, been waiting for a pirate game.

#34 Edited by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

Connor's an Assassin, who is the son of a Templar, who is the son of an Assassin. Right.

#35 Posted by Yummylee (21615 posts) -

So is this the same AC that's supposed to carry the annual AC releases? Or will they actually take their time with this one? To release the next big numbered AC game with a new main character and settings within a year... even if it turns out they developed this alongside AC3 or something, can't help but be cautious.

#36 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

Eh I don't know it sounds awesome in that they're taking the best thing out of AC3 and making a game out of it but what if they have another soul crushing 4 hour tutorial and boring side missions?... cautiously waiting.

#37 Posted by Strife777 (1575 posts) -

I hope you get to do actual pirate stuff. I thought the naval aspect of AC3 was fun, but could be improved in a lot of ways.

#38 Posted by Poppduder (460 posts) -
#39 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

Yeah this series is officially off my radar. That's real original guys, fuckin' pirates...

#40 Posted by Andorski (5308 posts) -

I don't care if the next AC game has awesome pirates in it... if they don't fix the basic issues the AC series has (insta-fail stealth, intrusive optional objectives, outdated combat mechanic, and increasingly frustrating climbing mechanics) then it's a pass for me.

#41 Edited by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

After AC III, I do not really care about anything related to the AC franchise. Hopefully this fixes a lot of the issues with that game, but if not then I'll pass.

#42 Edited by Yummylee (21615 posts) -
@mikkaq said:

Yeah this series is officially off my radar. That's real original guys, fuckin' pirates...

But isn't it actually kind of original, though?? There aren't many out there that's for sure; first thing that comes to mind is that one from last year that was developed in Germany I think.. Name escapes me. That and the Pirates of the Caribbean lego game. Plus remember how heartbroken everybody was when that other Pirates of the Caribbean game was cancelled because there's so few pirate games? The one that was intended to be an open-world RPG or something.

#43 Posted by LiquidPrince (15942 posts) -

It's weird to see them go backwards, and also call it AC 4. But I'm in.

#44 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4207 posts) -
#45 Posted by Yummylee (21615 posts) -
#46 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@jz said:

Examiner claims to have the first screenshot and details. It is said to star Edward Kenway, a known Privateer and the father of Haytham Kenway from Assassin’s Creed III, and is set in the Carribean on islands including Jamaica, Cuba, and the Bahamas. It’s currently running on current generation hardware, but is planned for next-gen as well, according to the report. Here is a picture of him from the back

So how did it go from Pirate to Indian?

#48 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

@jz said:

What? He is Haytham's father. Haytham had a kid with a Native American woman. Hence why Connor is Native...

#49 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@the_laughing_man said:

@jz said:

What? He is Haytham's father. Haytham had a kid with a Native American woman. Hence why Connor is Native...

They skipped the very important step of " ninjas"

#50 Edited by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

@yummylee said:
@mikkaq said:

But isn't it actually kind of original, though?? There aren't many out there that's for sure; first thing that comes to mind is that one from last year that was developed in Germany I think.. Name escapes me. That and the Pirates of the Caribbean lego game. Plus remember how heartbroken everybody was when that other Pirates of the Caribbean game was cancelled because there's so few pirate games? The one that was intended to be an open-world RPG or something.

I'm just tired of pirates in the media in general, they're as commonplace as zombies now and doeesn't feel all that original. Plus if you're not making a new Pirates! games, you can just count me out right away. I still play that game and I know for a fact that nothing Ubisoft can do would be more compelling than that. They're just not able to make games that original and have proved it time and again with all these lazy Assassin's Creed sequels and shitty Tom Clancy games. I used to get excited for this franchise, but after the crap-piles that were Revelations and III I'm totally out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.