Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Nov 16, 2010

The third installment in the Assassin's Creed franchise, this game's story picks up right after the events of Assassin's Creed II, showing Ezio Auditore traveling to Rome to recruit a new force of assassins. Brotherhood is the first game in the series to offer online multiplayer.

Choices Choices: AC:B's Gallery of Assassins

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

Edited By Sarumarine

Only Killers Hang Out on Rooftops
    The multiplayer in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood is all kinds of awesome if you're into the careful cat and mouse mentality it plays on. Causally walking up to someone, stabbing them, and walking off like nothing happened has never been more satisfying. Story wise, agents of Abstergo have it made. They get to stab people all day for training purposes. Lucky.

But what I really want to talk about is the cast of stabtacular characters you get to play as while sneaking (or running) around looking for your target. Of course they all play the same, but this game is more about style than individual stats. When you kill someone, it has to look good. I've played the original cast plus the Blacksmith, so I wanted to put down some thoughts on the various characters after my play time so far.

The Priest

Probably my least favorite character in Brotherhood. The Priest is one bland dude. Sure, he's bald, he wears robes, he masquerades as a man of God who kills people two handed style. His weapon is okay (the pop-out blade is nice) but compared to the other assassins... he's really not that exciting. Thankfully there are enough characters that even when you're late to a full game, there's someone else to choose from. 

Favorite Animation: They're all serviceable... but if I had to pick, I'd say the one where he sneaks up behind people and uses both his hands to stab them in the back.

The Doctor

In with the syringe, the Doctor is my favorite character. Plague Doctors are already kind of freaky with the bird masks and the tinted glasses, so one running around intent on killing someone is an easy fit. It also helps that his mask makes death animations come off more smoothly. It doesn't take long to notice that multiplayer character's faces don't animate when they're stabbed. They have one expression and it's the only expression they'll have on the entire time, even when they're getting killed. The Doctor has a mask, so it's not really a problem. I know it's a fairly small nitpick- but it's a little annoying to throat stab a guy and see him go down with the same face he had on before. C'mon.

Favorite Animation: When you run up on a target head on and he drives his syringe right into their neck. A needle that long looks excruciatingly painful.

The Prowler

The Not-Ezio character is not a real assassin, but an incredible simulation! Watch how he pulls off a passing resemblance to the single player character with a wrist mounted stabbing utensil. Thrill as Not-Altair leaps into haystacks with the greatest of ease! Read in amazement as I suspect this guy was put in just to curb the complaints of "how can you play Assassin's Creed in any capacity without some assassin-y looking dude to play as?"

Okay it's not that big of a deal. He still puzzles me. Early screen shots (and a loose familiarity with the game) I kinda thought this guy was Ezio or at least someone from the Assassin's side of the fence. Plus his name, "The Prowler" makes me think he's just some creepy voyeur who occasionally kills people. I guess he's okay.

Favorite Animation: Considering how close he looks to Ezio and Altair, dropping down from above to kill people feels appropriate with him.

The Nobleman

Weirdest character award goes to The Nobleman... who I thought was the Prowler for the longest time because he's a hunchback weirdo with a prosthetic arm. If I saw this guy walking around on the street, I would probably call him a prowler. Now, as cool as his claw arm is I don't find he really uses it in a satisfying way. For the most part he clubs people with it or uses it to slash them. I would expect if he had a fake arm with claws he'd drive it into people's stomach and tear something out. Or maybe carve up someone's face with it- anything that looked extremely painful. He's quirky, and I do occasionally use him if the Doctor is taken.

Favorite Animation: When he tears a target's neck out is pretty good. I'm a little bummed he doesn't go further with it considering how psychotic he looks.

The Courtesan

The pretty lady has a pretty awesome weapon in the form of a razor sharp fan. Practical and deadly, it can cool you off on a hot day, or open your throat with a careful swish of the arm. However, whenever I play as her I usually get wrecked and end up in 5th or 6th place. I know that's just coincidence, but she's quickly falling into the "cool character I'm terrible with" even though she plays identical to everyone else in this game. What.

Favorite Animation: She does have that cool move where she leapfrogs her victims by rolling over their back acrobat style then turns around and slices their throat. Surprise!

The Executioner

This guy has some absolutely brutal moves for a "low key" assassin... but his character design doesn't really do much for me. I admit I don't know what else you could do with him. He's got a hood and an axe... and he's an executioner. That's about it for people with that line of work. Maybe if he wore black or something? I don't know. He's okay.

Favorite Animation: When you go head on with a target and he jumps up before bringing his axe down on a their face. Ouch.

The Engineer

I like this guy a lot. Not only does he have a cool hat, but also some cool glasses to compliment his dude stabbing. The beard is a bonus. I used to think he had a switchblade as a weapon but it looks more like some kinda tool. Either way I don't mind playing this guy if the Doctor is taken or the player choices have been wittled down. Probably the one character who would look at home wielding a gun.

Favorite Animation: The one I enjoy the most is when you're face to face and he forces his target to bend over so he can stab them in the back of the neck.

The Barber

This Not-Sweeny Todd or Not-Daniel Day Lewis character uses a straight razor to do his dirt. Heh. Okay, so he has some style. He's got a bitchin' stache and doesn't waste a whole lot of energy killing people. Although, he's more of a slasher than a stabber. Most of the games I played it's pretty hard to select this guy before someone else does. Again, this is more my experience than fact.

Favorite Animation: Although it's pretty cool when he kicks in someone's legs and just straight up cuts their throat, I like the one where he jumps in front and does two quick little swipes with his blade to kill someone.

The Captain

If I had to pick someone out of this gang of murderers as heroic... I suppose it would be this guy. He doesn't look all that shady compared to the others. I guess it helps that he uses a sword instead of a concealed weapon or masquerades as someone performing a public service like the Doctor or the Priest. His armor is pretty cool too. One of the reasons I don't often use The Captain is because his assassinations aren't that flashy. He uses his sword in the way you'd expect someone would use a sword to stab a guy.

Favorite Animation: When the Captain does his best swashbuckler routine and does a fancy double stab with his sword. I think it's the one when you're face-to-face with your victim. That one is pretty good.

The Smuggler

I find the Smuggler is funny compared to the other assassins, because her retractable blade is so obviously mounted on top of her arm. "What's that spring loaded contraption on your wrist? I hope it's not dangerous!" She doesn't come off very professional in that way... but I may be giving her more personality than she really deserves. Whether a wannabe or overconfident, she does have a pretty smug expression. I'll give her that.

Favorite Animation: I feel like a lot of her kill animations are stolen from the Prowler (or loose variations). It's kinda cool to watch her tackle people and stab them in the neck considering how petite she is. Pull this off on a burly guy like the Blacksmith and it's even better. Speaking of which...

The Blacksmith

Stop. You know that joke. So instead I'll talk about the Blacksmith's bushy beard and his sledgehammer. At some point I feel like he's less an assassin and more a straight up murderer. Assassin implies some kind of technique or subtlety to killing people... at least in this game. So when the Blacksmith trips someone and just smashes their face in with a huge hammer... it doesn't feel especially clever. However, it's still awesome (and extremely painful looking) which makes the Blacksmith okay in my book. I take it he's not exactly popular considering I don't see him very much, even with high level players.

Favorite Animation: The sweep kick face crush feels too easy. The kill move found myself laughing about is the one where he flips a character up and breaks their back over his leg. When this happens to a tall character like the Doctor, it's even better.

Locating Other Blog Endings...

I'll get to the other characters eventually but I'm not sure if I'll add them to this list. We'll see. I do want to make an honorable mention to the Footpad, because people who play as him are total dicks. From my play time so far, people who use him are always tough targets who are constantly knifing me in the face at the worst possible moment. I already don't like him, and it helps that he looks terrible too. Man... I hate that guy.
    Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Sarumarine

The multiplayer in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood is all kinds of awesome if you're into the careful cat and mouse mentality it plays on. Causally walking up to someone, stabbing them, and walking off like nothing happened has never been more satisfying. Story wise, agents of Abstergo have it made. They get to stab people all day for training purposes. Lucky.

But what I really want to talk about is the cast of stabtacular characters you get to play as while sneaking (or running) around looking for your target. Of course they all play the same, but this game is more about style than individual stats. When you kill someone, it has to look good. I've played the original cast plus the Blacksmith, so I wanted to put down some thoughts on the various characters after my play time so far.

The Priest

Probably my least favorite character in Brotherhood. The Priest is one bland dude. Sure, he's bald, he wears robes, he masquerades as a man of God who kills people two handed style. His weapon is okay (the pop-out blade is nice) but compared to the other assassins... he's really not that exciting. Thankfully there are enough characters that even when you're late to a full game, there's someone else to choose from. 

Favorite Animation: They're all serviceable... but if I had to pick, I'd say the one where he sneaks up behind people and uses both his hands to stab them in the back.

The Doctor

In with the syringe, the Doctor is my favorite character. Plague Doctors are already kind of freaky with the bird masks and the tinted glasses, so one running around intent on killing someone is an easy fit. It also helps that his mask makes death animations come off more smoothly. It doesn't take long to notice that multiplayer character's faces don't animate when they're stabbed. They have one expression and it's the only expression they'll have on the entire time, even when they're getting killed. The Doctor has a mask, so it's not really a problem. I know it's a fairly small nitpick- but it's a little annoying to throat stab a guy and see him go down with the same face he had on before. C'mon.

Favorite Animation: When you run up on a target head on and he drives his syringe right into their neck. A needle that long looks excruciatingly painful.

The Prowler

The Not-Ezio character is not a real assassin, but an incredible simulation! Watch how he pulls off a passing resemblance to the single player character with a wrist mounted stabbing utensil. Thrill as Not-Altair leaps into haystacks with the greatest of ease! Read in amazement as I suspect this guy was put in just to curb the complaints of "how can you play Assassin's Creed in any capacity without some assassin-y looking dude to play as?"

Okay it's not that big of a deal. He still puzzles me. Early screen shots (and a loose familiarity with the game) I kinda thought this guy was Ezio or at least someone from the Assassin's side of the fence. Plus his name, "The Prowler" makes me think he's just some creepy voyeur who occasionally kills people. I guess he's okay.

Favorite Animation: Considering how close he looks to Ezio and Altair, dropping down from above to kill people feels appropriate with him.

The Nobleman

Weirdest character award goes to The Nobleman... who I thought was the Prowler for the longest time because he's a hunchback weirdo with a prosthetic arm. If I saw this guy walking around on the street, I would probably call him a prowler. Now, as cool as his claw arm is I don't find he really uses it in a satisfying way. For the most part he clubs people with it or uses it to slash them. I would expect if he had a fake arm with claws he'd drive it into people's stomach and tear something out. Or maybe carve up someone's face with it- anything that looked extremely painful. He's quirky, and I do occasionally use him if the Doctor is taken.

Favorite Animation: When he tears a target's neck out is pretty good. I'm a little bummed he doesn't go further with it considering how psychotic he looks.

The Courtesan

The pretty lady has a pretty awesome weapon in the form of a razor sharp fan. Practical and deadly, it can cool you off on a hot day, or open your throat with a careful swish of the arm. However, whenever I play as her I usually get wrecked and end up in 5th or 6th place. I know that's just coincidence, but she's quickly falling into the "cool character I'm terrible with" even though she plays identical to everyone else in this game. What.

Favorite Animation: She does have that cool move where she leapfrogs her victims by rolling over their back acrobat style then turns around and slices their throat. Surprise!

The Executioner

This guy has some absolutely brutal moves for a "low key" assassin... but his character design doesn't really do much for me. I admit I don't know what else you could do with him. He's got a hood and an axe... and he's an executioner. That's about it for people with that line of work. Maybe if he wore black or something? I don't know. He's okay.

Favorite Animation: When you go head on with a target and he jumps up before bringing his axe down on a their face. Ouch.

The Engineer

I like this guy a lot. Not only does he have a cool hat, but also some cool glasses to compliment his dude stabbing. The beard is a bonus. I used to think he had a switchblade as a weapon but it looks more like some kinda tool. Either way I don't mind playing this guy if the Doctor is taken or the player choices have been wittled down. Probably the one character who would look at home wielding a gun.

Favorite Animation: The one I enjoy the most is when you're face to face and he forces his target to bend over so he can stab them in the back of the neck.

The Barber

This Not-Sweeny Todd or Not-Daniel Day Lewis character uses a straight razor to do his dirt. Heh. Okay, so he has some style. He's got a bitchin' stache and doesn't waste a whole lot of energy killing people. Although, he's more of a slasher than a stabber. Most of the games I played it's pretty hard to select this guy before someone else does. Again, this is more my experience than fact.

Favorite Animation: Although it's pretty cool when he kicks in someone's legs and just straight up cuts their throat, I like the one where he jumps in front and does two quick little swipes with his blade to kill someone.

The Captain

If I had to pick someone out of this gang of murderers as heroic... I suppose it would be this guy. He doesn't look all that shady compared to the others. I guess it helps that he uses a sword instead of a concealed weapon or masquerades as someone performing a public service like the Doctor or the Priest. His armor is pretty cool too. One of the reasons I don't often use The Captain is because his assassinations aren't that flashy. He uses his sword in the way you'd expect someone would use a sword to stab a guy.

Favorite Animation: When the Captain does his best swashbuckler routine and does a fancy double stab with his sword. I think it's the one when you're face-to-face with your victim. That one is pretty good.

The Smuggler

I find the Smuggler is funny compared to the other assassins, because her retractable blade is so obviously mounted on top of her arm. "What's that spring loaded contraption on your wrist? I hope it's not dangerous!" She doesn't come off very professional in that way... but I may be giving her more personality than she really deserves. Whether a wannabe or overconfident, she does have a pretty smug expression. I'll give her that.

Favorite Animation: I feel like a lot of her kill animations are stolen from the Prowler (or loose variations). It's kinda cool to watch her tackle people and stab them in the neck considering how petite she is. Pull this off on a burly guy like the Blacksmith and it's even better. Speaking of which...

The Blacksmith

Stop. You know that joke. So instead I'll talk about the Blacksmith's bushy beard and his sledgehammer. At some point I feel like he's less an assassin and more a straight up murderer. Assassin implies some kind of technique or subtlety to killing people... at least in this game. So when the Blacksmith trips someone and just smashes their face in with a huge hammer... it doesn't feel especially clever. However, it's still awesome (and extremely painful looking) which makes the Blacksmith okay in my book. I take it he's not exactly popular considering I don't see him very much, even with high level players.

Favorite Animation: The sweep kick face crush feels too easy. The kill move found myself laughing about is the one where he flips a character up and breaks their back over his leg. When this happens to a tall character like the Doctor, it's even better.

Locating Other Blog Endings...

I'll get to the other characters eventually but I'm not sure if I'll add them to this list. We'll see. I do want to make an honorable mention to the Footpad, because people who play as him are total dicks. From my play time so far, people who use him are always tough targets who are constantly knifing me in the face at the worst possible moment. I already don't like him, and it helps that he looks terrible too. Man... I hate that guy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.