Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Nov 16, 2010

The third installment in the Assassin's Creed franchise, this game's story picks up right after the events of Assassin's Creed II, showing Ezio Auditore traveling to Rome to recruit a new force of assassins. Brotherhood is the first game in the series to offer online multiplayer.

How Critical is the Story to the Series?

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MarkWahlberg

So, I kind of hated AC2. I mean, gameplay wise, it was great, but the story was almost nonexistent, both for Ezio and Desmond, and the ending was more than a little facepalm inducing. I'm still invested in the series, though, and although I'm not ready to dive back into a whole 'nother game just yet, I'm wondering if this is something I'll need to get my hands on at some point before AC3 comes out, just so I don't miss anything important.  

So: Is the story just universe expansion, or does it actually move the plot forward? Is it worth playing through for the story, or can I just read the eventual summary on the internet and get everything I need?

fresh2deafbill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By fresh2deafbill

I just beat the game...it is critical to the story of the franchise

fresh2deafbill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By fresh2deafbill
    @MarkWahlberg said:
    " Is it worth playing through for the story, or can I just read the eventual summary on the internet and get everything I need? "
    you're going to want to see it yourself
    DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By DukeTogo

If you hated ACII, I don't see why you'd want anything to do with Brotherhood.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @MarkWahlberg said:
    " and the ending was more than a little facepalm inducing.  "
    i stopped reading there 
     i dont like people who have to keep fucking facepalming at anything unusual trying to establish itself until it's established, and then you start to enjoy it  

If you're one of the people who had an epic face palm because of the "cwazy stupid space bullshit", stop playing Assassin's Creed cuz that space plot point clearly is essential for the franchise and will expand in future installments, and i cant wait.

The only thing i didnt give a chance to grow was Kinect because i believe its gonna harm the games i love by sucking money and resources and attention.
    MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MarkWahlberg
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:

If you're one of the people who had an epic face palm because of the "cwazy stupid space bullshit", stop playing Assassin's Creed cuz that space plot point clearly is essential for the franchise and will expand in future installments, and i cant wait.  

Maybe I should clarify. I fucking love the sci-fi aspect. I thought the ending to AC1 was brilliant and I couldn't stop geeking out over it.  The whole time I played through each of the games, I just wanted to get back to Desmond. But "forerunner-aliens-that-are-gods-and-made-humans" and the fated end of the world are two of the most overused, cliched plot points ever. The really interesting stuff in AC2 - the assassins throughout history, Altair's diary - was shunted off to the edges. My problem isn't their being unusual, it's that they shifted from being really original to being one of those Scifi Channel "Original Movies". 

BUT I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and see where they go from here; that's why I asked this fucking question in the first place. I don't want to pay $60 when nothing relevant to what I'm interested in happens.
    Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By Jedted

No offence but if you didn't like the ending in AC2 then you probebly wouldn't like the ending in AC:B.  It's pretty much the same as that. 
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By HitmanAgent47

It definetly adds to the story, it's practically a sequel, the other half of the story of what happened afterwards.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CenturionCajun

Yes, I'll agree with Ryan that they really should have called this Assassin's Creed 2: Brotherhood. It picks up from the moment we leave Ezio in AC2 to the point where if you haven't played AC2 you'll probably have no idea what is going on. So far it seems rather essential to the continuing story as opposed to those throw away DS and PSP games.

As for the space aliens being seen as pagan gods and controlling man it might be a theme in sci fi but that doesn't make it bad. Where did you think that the Apple of Eden and such came from? I saw it coming from the point where the "twist" in the first game was revealed.

iKANNIBAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By iKANNIBAL

I never understood why the select few praise AC1 for its plot, it was non existent and there was basicaly no character developement whatsoever in the first one. There was also no mystery in between the entire game like there is with AC2 & Brotherhood. The greatest part of AC1 was the ending with the writings on the wall, and that was it. The video, the codex, the pictures, the audio logs by Subject 16, & the writings in AC2/Brotherhood however outdid the AC1 ending.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Pretty crucial id say. 
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By KaosAngel

It's a tamer version of MGS.   

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MarkWahlberg
    @CenturionCajun said:
    " Where did you think that the Apple of Eden and such came from? I saw it coming from the point where the "twist" in the first game was revealed. "
    I mean, they were pretty obvious about it being made by ancient powerful peoples, but I didn't think they needed to do anything with that. They're dead, they've left behind some cool shit, and that's all we need to know. 

@iKANNIBAL said:
    " I never understood why the select few praise AC1 for its plot, it was non existent and there was basicaly no character developement whatsoever in the first one. There was also no mystery in between the entire game like there is with AC2 & Brotherhood. The greatest part of AC1 was the ending with the writings on the wall, and that was it. The video, the codex, the pictures, the audio logs by Subject 16, & the writings in AC2/Brotherhood however outdid the AC1 ending. "
    There's plenty about the first one that I don't like; like I said, I just wanted to skip through a lot of the Altair stuff. But  they set up a completely insane universe to be explored in the sequels.  And then all the really interesting stuff  in AC2 were practically nothing more than easter eggs and collectibles. If your game is about a Secret History of the World, make it about that, not angry Italians stabbing each other. AC1 might have had very little actually happening until the end, but AC2 had literally nothing happening. Just  a whole lot of "hey this dude looks funny you should stab him" and then Chariots of the Gods. 

@KaosAngel said:
    " It's a tamer version of MGS.    "
    This means nothing to me. Maybe I should just go play that, instead of making whiny threads on the internet... 
    tsolless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By tsolless
    @iKANNIBAL said:

" I never understood why the select few praise AC1 for its plot, it was non existent and there was basicaly no character developement whatsoever in the first one. There was also no mystery in between the entire game like there is with AC2 & Brotherhood. The greatest part of AC1 was the ending with the writings on the wall, and that was it. The video, the codex, the pictures, the audio logs by Subject 16, & the writings in AC2/Brotherhood however outdid the AC1 ending. "

It's because the ending allowed for a very interesting story to emergy which people got excited over. These people were disappointed when AC2 came around and the ending revealed a very tired and cliched story instead of what could have been really unique. 

I don't mind either way, since I don't play for the story. I play for the angry Italian face stabbing.
    edit:

As for the question, the game doesn't have any important story advance until the last few seconds in the game. I imagine that you will need to read what happened to play AC3. You would not need to actually play the game to play it though.
    OneAndOnlyBigE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By OneAndOnlyBigE
    @iKANNIBAL said:
    This is like Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, not a whole lot going on throughout the game and then the end is a total mind fuck.
    iKANNIBAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By iKANNIBAL

Heh to each their own, AC1 did nothing for me and if i had only played that one instead of 2 i would probably not even care for the series right now AC2 was the real innovative one, It was the one that introduced a lot of the back story. I dragged through the whole AC1 game because of not only its lack of a plot but its lack of one in game unlike in AC2 where finding the videos made me break my neck trying to unlock new areas. AC1 just showed us some friggin writings on the wall. 

Only thing i would say about AC1 that was better, was its boss & its ending, but when you consider the video, the puzzles and everything else in AC2/Brotherhood they made up for what AC1 lacked and are by far the superior titles. The way they tied together the worlds famous inventors into the mystery was enough to get me hooked.

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bwmcmaste
    @MarkWahlberg said:
      So: Is the story just universe expansion, or does it actually move the plot forward? Is it worth playing through for the story, or can I just read the eventual summary on the internet and get everything I need? "
    As this was the first AC game I have played, I rather like the gameplay and other content. The story wasn't very compelling for me and I found that it played like a broken record up until the end: SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content. I'm sure there are people who will praise AC:B for it's plot and story, but I simply didn't find anything appealing about it at all.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By trophyhunter

Probably the most critical thing

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By bacongames

Crap, I'm gonna say this thread needs more spoiler warnings. 

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Capum15

Some serious shit happens at the end, but that's all I'm going to say. There's also quite a bit more Desmond.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.