I think its time for a modern day Assassins creed 3 with desmond.

• 55 results
#1 Posted by Tahnit (139 posts) -

I think AC3 should be all Desmond in modern day. Using guns and modern day weaponry and gadgets. I think it would be very interesting going from primitive swords and makeshift pistols to full on modern day stuff. 

It would make sense in the story (though i haven't finished brotherhood) as Desmond is now trained and could kick ass with the best of them.  

What do you guys think?

#2 Posted by MrMcJerk (44 posts) -

As long as it's not that doofus Ezio.  I'm tired of him.

#3 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1438 posts) -

Nope. I would much rather them explorer a new time historic timeline. I'd like them to explore Germany. And add a weather function into the game. (It gets cold in Germany, so I would love to see winter time in an AC game)
#4 Posted by RavenX302 (263 posts) -

Desmond is easily the worst part of that game, along with his buddies. They could not be more bland and dull and it is so fucking annoy how developers simply get Nolan North to play basically some form of Drake. That said, I think you are right. Ubisoft should stop fucking around and just put their effort into AC3 in modern day with Desmond. After that they can do whatever they want to do with the series.

#5 Posted by VirtualAthlete (89 posts) -

after brotherhood i just want ancient rome, and killing gladiator's

#6 Posted by minorinya (179 posts) -
@Tahnit: Perhaps your argument would be better if you provided gameplay suggestions on how "guns and modern weaponry" would work with the current gameplay mechanic concept Assassin's Creed features.
#7 Posted by LibraryDues (335 posts) -

Frankly, I always thought that the rumors about ACII taking place during the French Revolution sounded amazing.

#8 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

Needs a game in colonial era/industrial Europe.

#9 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11391 posts) -

I disagree strongly. The Animus is such a huge part of this series, from the controls, to the HUD, to explaining how you can retry things. And I don't even want to get into the argument about guns again.  

Also, I have not beaten Brotherhood, or even started it yet. 

#10 Posted by Jimbo (9986 posts) -

I think that game has already been made about 500 times.

#11 Posted by CitizenKane (10508 posts) -
@Hourai said:
" Needs a game in colonial era/industrial Europe. "
This.
#12 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6392 posts) -
@LibraryDues said:
"Frankly, I always thought that the rumors about ACII taking place during the French Revolution sounded amazing. "

Agreed.  And after watching some of the Sharpe films and reading a couple of the novels, I think something based around Napolean (or that era) has a ton of potential.
#13 Posted by theredcoat24 (218 posts) -

IMHO it would suck, the whole point of Assassin's Creed is the Animus and History. While I think the modern day stuff can be inpement sidely, a whole story based around modern day is not ready yet, maybe down the road but not yet.

Here's some suggestion in what I hope the next period is
1.American Revoultion 
2.Victoria Europe
2.French Revolution/Napoleon

#14 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

I would agree if Brotherhood was set in another era. I think we're due for one more era/location before 2012 Desmond NYC (or wherever). I'm thinking Feudal or Meiji era Japan.

Call it Assassin's Creed: Bushido. Except make it less samurai, more ninja.

#15 Edited by LibraryDues (335 posts) -
#16 Posted by RankRabbit (394 posts) -

Sounds boring to me, sounds like a game you can go play with your friends, OUTSIDE.

#17 Posted by Jimbo (9986 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:
" I would agree if Brotherhood was set in another era. I think we're due for one more era/location before 2012 Desmond NYC (or wherever). I'm thinking Feudal or Meiji era Japan.  Ninja's Creed, mothafucker! "
Tenchu kinda beat them to it.
#18 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

I haven't played brotherhood yet, and I don't know if it's explained or not, but I still can't get over the lack of guns in the future.

#19 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

i want one in crazy ass late 19th century USA, New York. 

#20 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@Jimbo:  In that case I want Ubisoft Montreal to handle the next Tenchu game. What ever it takes.

edit: So once you get to Memory Sequence 8 in Brotherhood, you get an email mentioning the states of four other 2012 Assassin teams (as mentioned by Jeff in a recent podcast). Without spoiling the contents of the email, the four other teams are located in Moscow, Sao Paolo, Denver, and Osaka. So Japan seems to still be a candidate, and the Meiji era where swords were outlawed and firearms were becoming popularized would be the funnest setting.

I still want me a western developed open world "wild west" samurai sword play game. Red Dead Redemption plus Ninjers.
#21 Posted by Slaker117 (4843 posts) -

They need to make this game.
#22 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (497 posts) -
@Slaker117 said:
"
They need to make this game. "
MOTHER OF GOD YES
#23 Posted by CptBedlam (4457 posts) -
@Tahnit: No
#24 Posted by CitizenKane (10508 posts) -
@Slaker117 said:
"
They need to make this game. "
While I absolutely love the design and style of it, but I'm not too sure about the architecture of the world.  I want to continue to climb and traverse awesome city buildings.
#25 Posted by JoeyRavn (4983 posts) -

I think it was in the latest Bombcast where they discussed this. Putting AC in a modern setting is basically killing the traversal movement. How would you conjugate all the climbing and jumping with skyscrapers, or even very tall buildings? If you set it in NY you won't have many two-storey building, like in 15th Century Italy. I think there's still A TON to explore in the 5 centuries between Ezio and Desmond: from the conquest of America to the WWII, including the French Revolution, the Russian Revolution, the Industrial Revolution, the Great Depression, the American Revolution, the Great War... and that's only in Europe and America. I don't like the idea of having a Japanese AC (too clichéd, if you ask me), but man, there's still a lot of potential before getting to Desmond exclusively. 

On the other hand, you can always have the main storyline set in the Animus in whatever time period you want, but have Desmond play a more active role in the present. I can see how it could work if you use a limited space, like a small village or a building à la Arkham Asylum.

#26 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3625 posts) -

As others have said, the series historical settings are the strongest things it has going for it.

#27 Edited by Helimocopter (369 posts) -

1930s america
I want to kill gangsters
or FDR, i want to stab fdr in the face and/or neck

#28 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

I just can't imagine their made up future city being anywhere near as visually compelling as this ridiculous period reinactments.

#29 Posted by Sanj (2537 posts) -

Japan, Edo period.
#30 Posted by Benny (1955 posts) -

One of the key things in the series thus far has been seeing how cities looked centuries ago, at least according to ubi montreal's vision, and to abandon this aspect would be a terrible idea for the series, but there needs to be more modern day stuff too so we can see how their real world looks under the influence of abstergo and the templars, I'd wager that it looks all future and mirror's edge-esque but that's just me. 

Would definitely be interesting to see though and the more present day stuff they put in, the more the overarching story can be fleshed out and, with any luck, concluded, with as many questions answered as possible.

#31 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5293 posts) -
@Sanj said:

" Japan, Edo period. "

This looks pretty easy for any assassin to climb. Just sayin' since a couple of you guys are saying the game's traversal is a big part of the game. (which it most certainly is) 

To me, this style of architecture would at least be a nice departure from the European style stuff we've seen in the past few games.

Hell, just getting out of Europe in general would be refreshing.
#32 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -
@theredcoat24 said:

" IMHO it would suck, the whole point of Assassin's Creed is the Animus and History. While I think the modern day stuff can be inpement sidely, a whole story based around modern day is not ready yet, maybe down the road but not yet.  Here's some suggestion in what I hope the next period is1.American Revoultion  2.Victoria Europe2.French Revolution/Napoleon "

These seem like the best choices to me, exactly what I'm hoping AC3 turns out to be.

...however, I'm totally cool with Desmond in AC4... as long as the end shows someone in 2552 crawling out of an animus controlling Desmond.
#33 Posted by Slaker117 (4843 posts) -
@CitizenKane:  I guess you're right. Traversal is a huge part of AC. But I still want to see something happen with this. It just looks way to damn cool. Maybe they could contrive a way to play a small set of missions in that setting as part of another game. Just enough to have a few badass moments and leave before you start to see the inherent flaws of that type of space.
#34 Posted by natetodamax (19219 posts) -

You can't have an Assassin's Creed game without Nolan North, just like you can't have any game that has Nolan North in it without Nolan North.

#35 Posted by 02sfraser (847 posts) -

I would love to see it taken to Japan. Ninja assassins against templar samurais is something I would love to play. It would be like Tenchu but a whole lot better. Although it wouldn't really fit in with the current story.

#36 Posted by CitizenKane (10508 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
" You can't have an Assassin's Creed game without Nolan North, just like you can't have any game that has Nolan North in it without Nolan North. "
Which is basically every game.
#37 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5401 posts) -

Seeing as how the first Uncharted and the first Assassin's Creed came out a week apart with Assassin's Creed being the first, it's kind of stupid for people frustrated with Ubisoft hiring Nolan North because of Uncharted. 

And they need to do more with Desmond and add a new animus element to keep people from bitching.

#38 Posted by ColourblindKid (2 posts) -

Brotherhood was very disappointing, they need to move it on.  

I think that the next game or a brotherhood style add on to the next game will be primarily set in the present day, as they do need to find the temples to stop the templars, and there is nothing more they need from the past now they have the apple. 

Also I have a pretty good idea that it will be set in DC as the Phrygian Cap and the Masonic Eye (the symbols Shaun talks about in the final scene) are both connected to the US (a lot of this stuff is in Dan Brown's 'The Lost Symbol') 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of_Providence#United_States   
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrygian_cap#United_States

#39 Posted by gamefreak9 (2417 posts) -

I think its doable, and if its a city like new york, well add a grappling hook and your fixed. 

#40 Posted by AlexW00d (6434 posts) -

Fuck modern setting. The Desmond bits are the worst parts, not they are bad, but they are awful compared to the in-Animus parts. I'm calling French Revolution tbh.

#41 Posted by Twitchey (865 posts) -
@Hourai: How about a revolutionary America? You could do an assassination of a British soldier attempting to kill Paul (can't remember his last name) during his night ride. It could take place in Boston but also move from other colonial cities.
#42 Posted by LiquidPrince (16169 posts) -

It needs to have elements that are still in the Animus along side regular Desmond stuff.

#43 Posted by Twitchey (865 posts) -
@TooWalrus: Desmond is secretly Master Chief?
#44 Posted by Jeust (10857 posts) -

I think they should end Desmond story before it turns into an ugly and uninteresting mess. 

#45 Posted by President_Barackbar (3474 posts) -
@Helimocopter said:
"I want to stab FDR in the face and/or neck "
What the fuck is wrong with you? You want to stab one of America's greatest Presidents who also happened to be handicapped? Fuck you man, fuck you.
#46 Posted by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1530 posts) -

Couldn't possibly disagree more with the OP.  What it needs is a new time period to explore.  I seriously doubt Ubi is going to do a Desmond only AC soon, maybe ever.  The formula they have works perfectly and can be expanded to so many locations and eras.

#47 Posted by jlev880 (204 posts) -

I feel like guns would slow the game down and take the focus away from free running and of course stabbin' dudes.

#48 Posted by mazik765 (2316 posts) -

Maybe this is a stab int he dark, but I suspect we are going to see one of  Desmond's descendants and find out that we think what we've been playing is real because of the bleed through the descendant is having form using the Animus. If you listen into the credits after Desmond has stabbed Lucy, we here someone saying someone is going into shock and another man demanding they put him back into the Animus (despite claims that the Animus put him into shock in the first place). This and the fact that they have been building up the effects of bleeding through without any pay off as of yet leads me to believe some big twist like this is coming.

#49 Posted by BABS (75 posts) -

No thanks. Desmond is so obnoxious.

#50 Posted by FritzDude (2273 posts) -

Assassin's Creed 3: Modern parkour. Perk system and everything. And now it takes place in London.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.