Laziest Night Skybox Ever?

#1 Posted by Korwin (2828 posts) -
So I was messing around in the PC version when I hit the night cycle.  Now the day time skybox looks pretty good, however the night one... bit of a different story.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/576668559114731646/C748564E4787098FBED62ECD080F887200011BBF/    

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that just maybe the night skybox was one of the corners they cut to get the game out the door in such a short time frame.

Just for the hell of it I created the same thing in MS paint in less than a minute.

Ubisoft should hire me for this years Assassin's Creed title 
Listen Ubi, I know you guys are under the gun to get another one of these things out the door by Q4... but maybe you could spend more than 53 seconds on this particular visual this year.
#2 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

hahaha,
it is a dark sky and stars, no complains

#3 Posted by Romination (2775 posts) -

There should be satellites and stuff.

In the Assassin's Creed universe, it could happen.
#4 Posted by TheHT (10890 posts) -

Looks enough like a night sky to me. Besides, I didn't spend much time looking at the sky while maneuvering the rooftops as much as you might think, being on the rooftops and all.

#5 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -

Looks like night to me.

#6 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

hmm.. never really noticed it. too busy being the most kickass protagonist ever

#7 Posted by Soap (3565 posts) -

Clouds weren't invented until the 1800's.

#8 Posted by Sjupp (1910 posts) -

Man, you must be the best MS Painter ever, to be able to replicate that skybox!

#9 Edited by Korwin (2828 posts) -
@Soap:  Or star shine for that matter.

Just for contrast here a 360 panoramic of the night sky as seen from earth

http://www.eso.org/public/archives/images/screen/eso0932a.jpg

Personally I would have taken some high res photo's of the sky over Italy and used those for the skybox.  I'm just really pointing out a minor flaw here, the game is still awesome, I just usually pick up on these little details and it's the little details that help with immersion.
#10 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3175 posts) -
#11 Posted by MyNameIsJoe (184 posts) -

That actually is a really terrible skybox. 

#12 Posted by Obsidian (346 posts) -

I played through the entire game and never noticed it... who looks up? Quit complaining and go stab some dudes.

#13 Posted by ajamafalous (11852 posts) -

I thought that screenshot was photoshopped at first. Holy shit, that's so bad.

#14 Posted by BBQBram (2202 posts) -

Yeah that's pretty bad. Why you guys complaining about this guy pointing out a legitimate flaw? It's cool for someone to appreciate the details. Like the night sky in Red Dead Redemption looking amazing to me and adding to the feeling of the outdoors.

#15 Edited by npeterson08 (502 posts) -

Lol, I love how you created something identical in MS Paint. Ridiculous.

@Dan_CiTi said:

" Add this one to the list."

Just got this:   Most disappointing ammo type you've seen someone cosplay as.

Perfect.
#16 Edited by bongoboy (105 posts) -

Great, now I'm going to notice how plain the night sky is every time I look at the game. 

#17 Posted by Getz (2989 posts) -

You created a flat bichromatic black background with white dots in it, not a skybox. Just sayin...

#18 Posted by bkbroiler (1606 posts) -

Holy shit, that's so bad I can't believe it's real. I never noticed that. Jesus!

I need to get my copy out just to see that for myself.

#19 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

@Soap said:

Clouds weren't invented until the 1800's.
#20 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.