Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Nov 16, 2010

The third installment in the Assassin's Creed franchise, this game's story picks up right after the events of Assassin's Creed II, showing Ezio Auditore traveling to Rome to recruit a new force of assassins. Brotherhood is the first game in the series to offer online multiplayer.

So I started assassins creed 1

JBird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JBird

Based on giantbombs views on assassins creed 2 and brotherhood i decided to bite the bullet and take on assassins creed 1 in order to enjoy the seconds story more. 

I have now nearly finished it, but this game has a few things about it that drive me INSANE!!!!! Please can someone who has played assassins creed 2/brotherhood tell me if these things carry on. I dont think i can cope much more.  

1. when walking about some random crazy person can hit you and suddenly every soldier in the place comes after you.  
    2. informer missions where accidentally shoulder bumping a single soldier ends the mission.  
    3. the fact that when your in the "alert" red thing and the soldiers want you, every soldier in the entire district seems to chase you and you have 16 guys, taking forever to loose them, and ages to kill them all.  

and lastly, this is probably the most frustrating, when i have a localised map of guards, or where someone will be walking, is it 

a. easier to compare to your main map without having to exit the small map, change menus, and then pull up the main map.  
    b. having to spend ages working out whats what because the small map is from a different perspective to the standard map.  

Regarding the above two...Ive spent ages trying to find this bloody bunch of scholars but i just cant work out where they are because the small map is at a different perspective to the big one and i loose my place.  

So, does it get better?!?!?! Hope it does, i have number 2 due for delivery tomorrow.
    hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By hexx462

The first game doesn't get any better, however AC2 is a vast improvement and shows the potential that is merely hinted at in the first game.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Zella

Don't worry, 2 is a vast improvement over the first., and Brotherhood is a slight improvement over 2 but still worth playing. 2 fixes a lot of the issues 1 had. If you are enjoying the first but are mainly just annoyed at it's faults you will probably enjoy 2 quite a bit.

lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#4  Edited By lumley

Well I hated number 1 with a passion. But with number 2.. I loved it to pieces. I can't remember it enough to answer your specific queries but it's heaps better!

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By SteamPunkJin

They fixed just about everything from AC1 -> AC2. The free running stays a -little- spotty, but otherwise vast improvements. AC2->AC:B sees small fixes and isn't nearly as dramatic of a change.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By zombie2011

I've only played AC2 and AC:B and i have no idea what you're talking about, so i'm gonna say those issues are gone in the sequels.

badsmalltalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By badsmalltalker

Unfortunately no, you deal with those little issues for most of the game.  I never really had any trouble with the map though, mostly cause I just ran until I found something to hide in, or gave up and killed all the soldiers chasing me.   

The way the game ends (not just the story, the gameplay in the last level) is pretty awesome though, so keep going! 

One thing you should be aware of if you haven't already found out.  AVOID WATER LIKE THE PLAGUE, one of the last targets you get is on a boat, and many of the paths to get there involve hopping across wooden posts sticking up out of the water.  It frustrated me to no end how many times Altair would just jump off and drown despite me not pressing anything.  

JBird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JBird
    @cmpLtNOOb:
    I learnt the water the hard way like you....right now im trying to kill the last guy in a graveyard. and i have like 9 people on me, with 2 fucking archers. I've taken to running away to cover because those archers were just ripping me to bits. Maybe im just shit but i swear all the templars have this 3 strike combo that i just cant counter.....lets just hope i'll post again in 10mins with a "beat that shit"
    BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By BrittonPeele

As has been said, those issues won't get better by the end of the first game, but they DO all get better in Assassin's Creed II, and even better than that in Brotherhood. So keep your hope alive. The things you want to get fixed get fixed.

JBird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JBird

I just beat that shit! cheers fellas. Cant wait for the second.
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By warxsnake

Woot! enjoy the sequel

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#12  Edited By jacksukeru

There are no more "lepers" in AC2, there are these music...dudes, that act like the beggars in AC1 but you can get rid of them pretty easy by chucking some cash at them. 

I don't remember anything specific about "informer missions" but overall stealth is easier in the second game and onwards, same thing goes for escaping guards. That part is almost a little too easy now I feel. 

Man I remember going back to the original after finishing AC2 just to see the difference, it was astounding how bad it felt in comparison. 

ZoomyRamen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ZoomyRamen

Well done on getting through AC1 that game almost bored me to death. AC2 as mentioned is vastly better but personally, by a bout half way though it had devolved into the same repetition that made me hate AC1, I find AC2: Brotherhood to be vastly superior to both. 

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Death_Unicorn

For all its jankiness, I really liked Assassin's Creed.

Darklaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Darklaw

I never actually finished AC. And I was skeptical about the second - Skeptical enough that I didn't go out and buy it, until the start of this month when it was insanely cheap. I am currently playing AC: Brotherhood, and I have fallen madly in love with the series.  

I am, however, still not going to return to AC. I really hated that game.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By MetalBaofu

I did not like the first AC, at all.   I had little desire to play the second one, but did because of what people were saying about it.  AC is now one of my favorite franchises.  The differences between the first one and the second one are huge.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Subjugation

AC1 was pretty rough around the edges. The franchise gets way better as you move along though, so don't become discouraged!

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
    Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's why you shouldn't play the first game.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By meteora
    @Death_Unicorn said:
    " For all its jankiness, I really liked Assassin's Creed. "
    Yeah, same. I loved the game and its environment.
    Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Arbie

I'm a huge fan of both AC2 and Brotherhood yet I've only briefly played AC. So I've also just gone back to it to give it the attention I feel it deserves. However, it's been driving me mad!

Although on both AC2 and Brotherhood you can still amass a large amount of guards whilst on the run the combat is vastly improved in comparison to AC. In Brotherhood you even get the lazy way out with being able to call in an arrow storm or simply just a couple of your friendly neighborhood assassins.  

Yes there are missions which require that you aren't detected to complete. But again the way Ezio moves is a lot smoother to Altair. I also find there are more climbable objects. Basically you can free run wherever you please. Oh and ofc, there is the option to hit B if you jump and miss, so that you cling on. Something I can't seem to be able to do in AC >=[

Yes you can still piss off civilians.

I'm not too sure what you mean by your last question. Is it about finding targets? I just set them as my objective and follow the smaller map but pull out my menu map if I feel I'm getting lost.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By the_hiro_abides

AC2 and Brotherhood have bards, which are annoying but are ok. They're mostly not a problem unless you stab them. You should just throw money down or run away. 

Yeah, I don't remember how informer missions worked. Any stealth required mission going forward is pretty easy, basically keep target in sight of the game camera. And stealth is even easier in Brotherhood, usually optional or you can use your assassins to take out guards. 

Guards do seem to crowd you in AC2 but the variety in weapons help kill them faster. Plus the smoke bomb makes it real easy to escape or kill a crowd of heavily armored dudes. While the combat in Brotherhood makes it a cakewalk in most instances. 

After the first game I don't remember having a problem with the map. Of course, being able to set your own marker helps a lot.

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By adoggz

I don't remember those things being that bad, in fact I kinda wanna go back and play 1 again. Am I crazy?

Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Arbie
    @the_hiro_abides:  It's a lie that Ezio never killed a bard! If I had a hidden blade up my sleeve I'd get every one of those annoying buggahs the minute they came close enough!
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CptBedlam
    @adoggz said:
    " I don't remember those things being that bad, in fact I kinda wanna go back and play 1 again. Am I crazy? "
    No, I never ran into these issues back when I was playing AC1 as well. Makes me wonder if some people never found out how to really play that game.

It's probably more problematic to go back from AC2 to AC1 because you're used to different (better) game mechanics.
    pekoe212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pekoe212
    @cmpLtNOOb said:

" Unfortunately no, you deal with those little issues for most of the game.  I never really had any trouble with the map though, mostly cause I just ran until I found something to hide in, or gave up and killed all the soldiers chasing me.     The way the game ends (not just the story, the gameplay in the last level) is pretty awesome though, so keep going!  One thing you should be aware of if you haven't already found out.  AVOID WATER LIKE THE PLAGUE, one of the last targets you get is on a boat, and many of the paths to get there involve hopping across wooden posts sticking up out of the water.  It frustrated me to no end how many times Altair would just jump off and drown despite me not pressing anything.   "

Ha, the water instant death!! I just dealt with this several days ago, I got AC 2 and AC:B for Christmas, so I wanted to finish up 1 before I started them. But when I got to that particular assassination on the boat, it finally broke me. Drowning over and over. The bad combat controls. I ended up watching videos of someone else completing the game and that was enough for me. I've never done that before, but the game had stopped being fun and I really just wanted to know how the story ended. I'm glad I played 1, I enjoyed 70% of the ride, the setting and story were excellent...but the annoyances started to become pointless to tolerate. It's great now playing 2, I can REALLY appreciate all the improvements.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#26  Edited By natetodamax

I enjoyed the first Assassin's Creed when I wasn't being chased by guards, which unfortunately was every five minutes of that game.

JBird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JBird
    @the_hiro_abides:
    I finished it later that night, woke up the next morning and found number 2 under my letterbox, popped it in and the difference is AMAZING! ive been loving it so so much. sometimes its really worth it playing a game series late so you can just move from one game to the other. The things i've enjoyed the most are the really little things!, like having background music in the animus. The music playing in florence really sets an atmosphere and its awesome! Ive not had a single problem; now if guards crowd me its a pleasure to wipe them out!!! 

The map issue seems to have been iradicated in the second game. I was reffering to a mechanic where i'd perform an investigation and be given a small localised map of...say a scholars path through a market. But the problem was this map would be really zoomed in and with east at the the top. Where as the actual map wouldnt be able to zoom in that far and had north at the top. So i'd have to try and pick out landmarks and compare, but to go from the small map to the bigger one was like 5 button presses, so it was driving me insane when i couldnt work out where the scholars would be!!!  

But yeah, loving the second. I'm really taking my time and enjoying it. Lets hope brothehood goes platinum and gets the lovely £10 price tag with all DLC in time for my play through!
    chriskelly123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By chriskelly123
    @Death_Unicorn said:
    ^^ this :)   

you are just too much of a badass to not enjoy it :)
    oliver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By oliver

the 1st is very flawed but alot of fun ac2 is alot better but also alot easyer one think i miss form ac1

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By foggel

AC1 was more or less a tech demo, it seems like. For the crowd of people, and how they behave etc. But I can imagine it's really frustrating to go from AC2, to that.

joshrholloway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By joshrholloway

Assassin's Creed II and Brotherhood are a couple of my favorite games ever. But the first one is just not great overall. It was a shell of what would eventually become, and a good introduction story-wise. But the repetition of the gameplay just bogs down the whole experience. 

Plus, the whole guard status thing in AC1, I never fully understood. They did it much better in the next two games.

Avatar image for lumberingjackal
    lumberingjackal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By lumberingjackal
    @ZoomyRamen: This! I played AC1 and 2 at release and, wow, brotherhood is just plain head and shoulders above them both. 

Just as an aside... I watched one of the Brotherhood QL's earlier this week and I TOTALLY agree with what Ryan said. "Not calling this AC3:Brotherhood is a huge fault going into the release of this game."... or something like that. When Brotherhood was gearing up for release I thought it was just MP  with some story continuation tacked on in the vein of all that AC2 DLC crap... they would just continue the (awesome) story in AC3 at some point... So I didn't buy it. Boy was I wrong.  

I hope some of that made sense. Awesome AC:Brotherhood is awesome.
    NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NickL
    @JBird said:
    " Regarding the above two...Ive spent ages trying to find this bloody bunch of scholars but i just cant work out where they are because the small map is at a different perspective to the big one and i loose my place.   So, does it get better?!?!?! . "
    I didn't notice any problems with the minimap and the big map when i played AC2 but i cant actually remember if they stayed the same persceptive 

can't you place a marker on the big map in AC1 and just follow whichever direction it is in on the minimap?
    Vestigial_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Vestigial_Man
    @chriskelly123 said:
    " @Death_Unicorn said:
    ^^ this :)    you are just too much of a badass to not enjoy it :) "
    The original Assassins' Creed is still my favourite of the three.
    JBird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JBird
    @NickL:   Cheers for the advice mate, but unfortunately your a bit late! Since posting I've finished AC2 as well! My wording on the thread was a bit rubbish. What i meant was that from doing the various missions such as eavesdropping and stuff id literally been given a map showing the position of the scholars and where they will walk on the actual assassination. To see this map I had I to press start, and then go along the DNA to find the eavesdropping mission and then press X to see this map. My problem was this little map was angled differently to the main map . e.g. east-west rather than north-south.,and much more zoomed in than i could get on the main one.  So i was being driven insane by having to pin point a specific building on the little map and try and rotate it in my head so I could find it on the actual in game map!....did it in the end :P 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.