Stun help? (Multiplayer)

#1 Posted by pizzalunchables (25 posts) -

Anyone have any tips for getting this move to work? I've never been able to stun anyone. It's particularly frustrating when your pursuer makes the tiniest mistake and you know he's trying to kill you,  but you're completely helpless.

Do you need to be facing the person? Obviously the devs don't want people doing it a lot so everyone gets kills, but does anyone have any experience that might help others get stuns more often?

Thanks, stab ya later.

#2 Edited by Evilsbane (4517 posts) -

I personally think that if I figure out your my assassin I should be able to stab your ass the whole run away all the time is crap I see the dude coming but I feel helpless because yes I to have trouble getting stun to do Anything.

#3 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Stuns can be countered very easily when done from the front.

#4 Posted by Gerhabio (1975 posts) -

A lot of people are frustrated over this, the thing is, you're not supposed to rely on the stun. Always run if possible. The stun should only be used when your pursuer is giving your his back, when he is stunned by a smoke bomb or when he is completely oblivious to your presence so that he doesn't have time to react and kill you.

A KILL WILL ALWAYS BE PRIORITIZED OVER A STUN so only do it when you're certain one of the above conditions is met.

#5 Posted by TomTheRealist (171 posts) -
@G3RHRT said:
" A lot of people are frustrated over this, the thing is, you're not supposed to rely on the stun. Always run if possible. The stun should only be used when your pursuer is giving your his back, when he is stunned by a smoke bomb or when he is completely oblivious to your presence so that he doesn't have time to react and kill you.

A KILL WILL ALWAYS BE PRIORITIZED OVER A STUN so only do it when you're certain one of the above conditions is met. "
Top answer dude, I was having trouble with that too. Thanks!
#6 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@G3RHRT said:
" A lot of people are frustrated over this, the thing is, you're not supposed to rely on the stun. Always run if possible. The stun should only be used when your pursuer is giving your his back, when he is stunned by a smoke bomb or when he is completely oblivious to your presence so that he doesn't have time to react and kill you.

A KILL WILL ALWAYS BE PRIORITIZED OVER A STUN so only do it when you're certain one of the above conditions is met. "
Yeah it even says that during a load screen, that your not suppose to rely on stun
#7 Posted by pizzalunchables (25 posts) -

Yeah, it's clear that defenses are pretty weak by design so everyone is able to get kills.  Thanks for the responses, I appreciate the clarification.

#8 Posted by Arbie (1449 posts) -

I've read the above posts but I'm still a little bit frustrated over this. Twice tonight I have been blended and spun the camera angle around to see my pursuer walking towards me, I've targeted him and prepared to stun, heck I've mashed B...yet the B doesn't even appear. Is stun only granted sometimes, and not at all times? Or is it only if you're pursuer makes an obvious move for the game to detect and not yourself? 

@Evilsbane:
I completely agree. I don't see much reason in not being allowed to kill your pursuer. You don't get a tracker like they do so if you detect them it should be fair game!

#9 Posted by adoggz (2035 posts) -

stun is completely worthless. it shouldn't even be in the game because it tricks us into thinking we can do something other than run to prevent us from being killed.

#10 Edited by Vorbis (2749 posts) -

Stun is great, you just need the abilities to use it properly. Best example is when you take 1st place early in the game and have 2-3 people after you, all you need to do is Morph a crowd and they will walk right next to you and try to work out which one is real, that's when you stun (try to get behind them if possible). If you know they know you're real, Smoke Bomb first, turn around and stun, do the same if you're being chased.  I average around 5-6 stuns a game easily, at 200 points each it's some nice income.

Suprises me to see people take first place and continue to try and hunt targets down when they have 3 people on them. When you take 1st, stay defensive, find a roaming group of 5 NPCs and blend, let the auto-walk kick in and keep spinning the camera around looking for your hunters. Those initial 4-5 (incognito) kills to get you into first are all you need to win, just let the Lure 100 and Stun 200 points pile up (sometimes you get escape points as your hunter sprints to escape their hunter). Naturally people will start to gather around you, this means your target will eventually come to you and give you a fat 600 hidden point kill every once in a while, just remember to sprint around a corner and re-Morph to lose those who saw you take the kill.

Templar vision can mess it up but it's rare people have it, most people will try to Morph your npcs to expose you, as soon as you see that happen, Smoke Bomb, Stun, then run to lose the others and re-Morph. Firecrackers can be a pain, but as soon as it happens, Smoke Bomb then stun, they won't have time to target you and kill before the Smoke Bombs gone off.

#11 Edited by Helios1337 (323 posts) -
@Vorbis said:

" Stun is great, you just need the abilities to use it properly. Best example is when you take 1st place early in the game and have 2-3 people after you, all you need to do is Morph a crowd and they will walk right next to you and try to work out which one is real, that's when you stun (try to get behind them if possible). If you know they know you're real, Smoke Bomb first, turn around and stun, do the same if you're being chased.  I average around 5-6 stuns a game easily, at 200 points each it's some nice income. Suprises me to see people take first place and continue to try and hunt targets down when they have 3 people on them. When you take 1st, stay defensive, find a roaming group of 5 NPCs and blend, let the auto-walk kick in and keep spinning the camera around looking for your hunters. Those initial 4-5 (incognito) kills to get you into first are all you need to win, just let the Lure 100 and Stun 200 points pile up (sometimes you get escape points as your hunter sprints to escape their hunter). Naturally people will start to gather around you, this means your target will eventually come to you and give you a fat 600 hidden point kill every once in a while, just remember to sprint around a corner and re-Morph to lose those who saw you take the kill.  Templar vision can mess it up but it's rare people have it, most people will try to Morph your npcs to expose you, as soon as you see that happen, Smoke Bomb, Stun, then run to lose the others and re-Morph. Firecrackers can be a pain, but as soon as it happens, Smoke Bomb then stun, they won't have time to target you and kill before the Smoke Bombs gone off. "

This is the correct way to use stun. It's a huge help when in first because it's suicide to try and go for your target with 3 or 4 people looking for you.  Also if you see your pursuer you can try and turn the corner and double back and stun him from behind, without running in sight of course. The only way a stun from the front is going to work is if the other guy doesn't press X at all, which 99% of the time he is going to mash X. So don't do that.
#12 Posted by bwmcmaste (837 posts) -
@Helios1337 said:
This is the correct way to use stun. It's a huge help when in first because it's suicide to try and go for your target with 3 or 4 people looking for you.  Also if you see your pursuer you can try and turn the corner and double back and stun him from behind, without running in sight of course.   
I believe that we can condense this advice into one simple phrase: use smoke bombs. Before I obtained the smoke bomb ability I was incessantly overrun by other players.
#13 Posted by DukeTogo (1504 posts) -
@G3RHRT said:  
If only there was someplace in the game that told you this.  It's more maddening that basic game mechanics aren't made clear and it ends up making the game feel broken.
#14 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@DukeTogo said:

" @G3RHRT said:  

If only there was someplace in the game that told you this.  It's more maddening that basic game mechanics aren't made clear and it ends up making the game feel broken. "
It tells you that on a loading screen.
#15 Posted by FLStyle (4518 posts) -

If you're going for a standard or evasive set up the smoke bomb is always great for stuns.

#16 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

The only time I got a stun is when my pursuer fell off a roof and was stunned-ish by the fall, then I ran up, yelled "Eat a dick!" in real life for some reason and punched him in his mouth then killed my target who was standing idly 10 feet away.  That was so fun.  But yeah, the other dudes already explained the mechanics of stun.

#17 Posted by Sin4profit (2903 posts) -
@Erzs said:
" I've read the above posts but I'm still a little bit frustrated over this. Twice tonight I have been blended and spun the camera angle around to see my pursuer walking towards me, I've targeted him and prepared to stun, heck I've mashed B...yet the B doesn't even appear. Is stun only granted sometimes, and not at all times? Or is it only if you're pursuer makes an obvious move for the game to detect and not yourself? 

@Evilsbane: I completely agree. I don't see much reason in not being allowed to kill your pursuer. You don't get a tracker like they do so if you detect them it should be fair game! "
same, mash the button fully knowing my killer..sometimes i see the B button, sometimes i don't. As far as turning the camera around i think it's required that you have to be forward facing them and i think it's even more effective if they have their back to you. best method i've seen is a smoke bomb then run to their back and stun them. other then that ya should even bother to try. 

what's stupid is i think the stun should be a counter move at lease right after you kill someone. A daisy chain of kills can be amusing at times, like that four body pile into a hay stack i had once, but after awhile it'll start to roll yer eyes. They really need to balance that out and since i've heard they're already starting the new one for next year i doubt we'll see much support for updating this one.
#18 Posted by Undeadpool (4902 posts) -
@pizzalunchables: @Erzs: 
 Stun isn't meant to be a catch-all attack, it's meant to be used if your pursuer screws up. You have to wait until a red arrow appears over your pursuer's head, but that doesn't generally happen unless they're being REALLY obvious. In general, if you see whoever's chasing you, your best bet is to run and hide. Stunning isn't meant to be a way to get back at your foe, it's meant to be a way to punish them for being sloppy. Also, even if the red arrow is above their head, you should NEVER try to stun from the front.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.