Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Nov 16, 2010

The third installment in the Assassin's Creed franchise, this game's story picks up right after the events of Assassin's Creed II, showing Ezio Auditore traveling to Rome to recruit a new force of assassins. Brotherhood is the first game in the series to offer online multiplayer.

The Templars Can Use The Animus Too, Ya Know

• 57 results
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
     Just some of the player characters you'll see in multiplayer.
    You'd be forgiven for thinking that a multiplayer-focused game set in the world of Assassin's Creed II sounds like a dicey proposition. After all, Assassin's Creed is, deep down, a stealth game, and it comes with all of the contrivances that make most stealth games work. After all, the enemy AI only fails to see you because it's programmed not to. Certainly a human player would be savvy enough to see in the dark and avoid most of the obvious tricks, right? That's what makes AC: Brotherhood so impressive.

The eight-player mode that Ubi had set up at its pre-E3 event is a sort of directed free-for-all. It puts all of the players--each of which is dressed up in a unique pedestrian skin that you'll see wandering around the city, like a banker or a courtesan or something. So out of the players, you'll look unique. But there are plenty of AI-controlled bystanders on the street that look just like you. This, as they say, is key.

The mode is structured around contracts. You'll get a contract to kill a specific player, and a ring near the bottom of the screen gives you a basic pointer in the direction of your prey. You'll also get their picture, so you know which character type you're after. The goal is to get to your target and kill him. But other players will be after you, and the better you do, the more heat you'll have at once. At one point, I had three players trying to track me down. The way to avoid trouble ties into one of the basics of the Assassin's Creed franchise: maintaining a low profile. If you run around or act like an ass, your location is revealed to players that are chasing you, as well as your current target. This makes everything a lot harder.

You can stay hidden via the classic AC maneuvers, as well, like blending into a crowd or sitting on a bench. But since your hunters have pointer to your direction, you'll need something a little extra to throw them off of your scent. That's where the game's perk-like system of special abilities come in, like a smoke bomb that lets you get the heck out of there, or another ability that changes your appearance for a brief period of time. Another turns some of the non-players near you into your exact character type, making you hard to pick out of the crowd. If a player kills an NPC, he loses the contract, leaving you safe. You can also hit a button to kick your assailant over when he gets close, a humiliating move that gives you some time to move away.

The structure of the game makes the slow default movement speed that the series has had all along make more sense. It becomes easy to move like the AI moves and generally look like you might be just another computer-controlled citizen of Rome. Players that run around like lunatics or jump off of roofs give themselves away immediately and look like fools. It all comes together to make a devious, fast-paced murder mystery, where you're never quite sure if the person walking in your direction is going to silence you with a hidden blade to the back.

Though this game is set during the Assassin's Creed II timeline, it'll happen in a new city. And there's some "real-world" justification for all of this violence, too. It seems that members of Abstergo--the Templar front corporation that comprises the bad guys of the series--are training to become better killers, and they're doing so by jumping into memories and playing these training games. There will also be a single-player component built around Ezio's time in Rome. There aren't too many details out there about that stuff just yet, but it sounds like you'll build your own brotherhood of assassins and fight against Templar forces in Rome.

Stabbing human opponents, especially ones that never had any idea I was even onto them, was extremely satisfying during the two rounds of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood that I played. Between that and the promise of at least some ties to Desmond Miles' real-world, outside-the-Animus issues, Ubisoft could be onto something really special here. We'll have to see how the other modes and options pan out before we know for sure.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
    You'd be forgiven for thinking that a multiplayer-focused game set in the world of Assassin's Creed II sounds like a dicey proposition. After all, Assassin's Creed is, deep down, a stealth game, and it comes with all of the contrivances that make most stealth games work. After all, the enemy AI only fails to see you because it's programmed not to. Certainly a human player would be savvy enough to see in the dark and avoid most of the obvious tricks, right? That's what makes AC: Brotherhood so impressive.

The eight-player mode that Ubi had set up at its pre-E3 event is a sort of directed free-for-all. It puts all of the players--each of which is dressed up in a unique pedestrian skin that you'll see wandering around the city, like a banker or a courtesan or something. So out of the players, you'll look unique. But there are plenty of AI-controlled bystanders on the street that look just like you. This, as they say, is key.

The mode is structured around contracts. You'll get a contract to kill a specific player, and a ring near the bottom of the screen gives you a basic pointer in the direction of your prey. You'll also get their picture, so you know which character type you're after. The goal is to get to your target and kill him. But other players will be after you, and the better you do, the more heat you'll have at once. At one point, I had three players trying to track me down. The way to avoid trouble ties into one of the basics of the Assassin's Creed franchise: maintaining a low profile. If you run around or act like an ass, your location is revealed to players that are chasing you, as well as your current target. This makes everything a lot harder.

You can stay hidden via the classic AC maneuvers, as well, like blending into a crowd or sitting on a bench. But since your hunters have pointer to your direction, you'll need something a little extra to throw them off of your scent. That's where the game's perk-like system of special abilities come in, like a smoke bomb that lets you get the heck out of there, or another ability that changes your appearance for a brief period of time. Another turns some of the non-players near you into your exact character type, making you hard to pick out of the crowd. If a player kills an NPC, he loses the contract, leaving you safe. You can also hit a button to kick your assailant over when he gets close, a humiliating move that gives you some time to move away.

The structure of the game makes the slow default movement speed that the series has had all along make more sense. It becomes easy to move like the AI moves and generally look like you might be just another computer-controlled citizen of Rome. Players that run around like lunatics or jump off of roofs give themselves away immediately and look like fools. It all comes together to make a devious, fast-paced murder mystery, where you're never quite sure if the person walking in your direction is going to silence you with a hidden blade to the back.

Though this game is set during the Assassin's Creed II timeline, it'll happen in a new city. And there's some "real-world" justification for all of this violence, too. It seems that members of Abstergo--the Templar front corporation that comprises the bad guys of the series--are training to become better killers, and they're doing so by jumping into memories and playing these training games. There will also be a single-player component built around Ezio's time in Rome. There aren't too many details out there about that stuff just yet, but it sounds like you'll build your own brotherhood of assassins and fight against Templar forces in Rome.

Stabbing human opponents, especially ones that never had any idea I was even onto them, was extremely satisfying during the two rounds of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood that I played. Between that and the promise of at least some ties to Desmond Miles' real-world, outside-the-Animus issues, Ubisoft could be onto something really special here. We'll have to see how the other modes and options pan out before we know for sure.
    Penelope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Penelope

Love me some AC.

Drod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Drod

Nice looking forward to this one.

ip007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By ip007

Looks interesting!

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By meteora

Sounds promising. Count me interested.

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#6  Edited By MuttersomeTaxicab

Agh. Just when I was finally okay with not buying any more Assassin's Creed games....
    Sait0u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Sait0u

I was wondering how this game would work and now I'm interested.....sounds pretty cool

Shane394

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Shane394
    InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By InfiniteGeass

You're supposed to put a question mark at the end of the sentence. Trust me I would know, ya know?

Mordebir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Mordebir

Sound AMAZING! Can't wait.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By fox01313

MP in AC2 still doesn't make too much sense to me without playing it aside from a thief guild (which would have been nice in games like WoW where you pull off an organized heist) but love the look of the 3 other characters.  

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By skrutop

I read an article about an XBLA game in progress where one player is at a dinner party, and the other is a sniper across the alley.  One shot, one kill.  This sounds like a very involved version of that.  Very interesting...

RogueBomber12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RogueBomber12

Single player looked good. So the fact of a decent let alone good multiplayer is just a plus.
    Avatar image for deactivated-6610658acf7f5
    deactivated-6610658acf7f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This sort of meta-level impersonating the AI to close in on your target sounds really fun and really different from the other adversarial game modes floating around these days.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Sounds more interesting than I was thinking it would, but it also sounds crazy hard.

gsblitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By gsblitz

i cant wait to get this game

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#17  Edited By Brackynews
    @skrutop said:
    " I read an article about an XBLA game in progress where one player is at a dinner party, and the other is a sniper across the alley.  One shot, one kill.  This sounds like a very involved version of that.  Very interesting... "
    You're telling me they're making a True Lies game?!?!
    Team spawning in a tuxedo or night vision goggles... hmmmm....
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By MysteriousBob
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Dany

That sounds really interesting but how exciting will 20 minutes of steath and 2 minutes of action really be in MP?

Parabole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By Parabole

How threatening is a monk?

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Damian

This is sounding way cooler than I gave it credit for.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jimbo

I like the sound of that competitive mode.  Should make for a refreshing change of pace.

Can you get into sword duels with the other players, or is it strictly assassiny?

filmfan2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By filmfan2001

Great preview, Can't wait for this one.

MajorToms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By MajorToms

Sick, I was hoping it would pan-out, but I never really gave it a chance. It makes sense how it's described by Jeff, having the ground work already laid out for the stealth movements will work interestingly enough to fool players. 

But, I don't know if adding these disguises and perks is like turning this fantasy game even further into the rabbit hole. I mean, disguises that will convert a bunch of people around you is a pretty ridiculous connotation. however, if this takes place while the Assassins have a Piece of Eden, it might make a whole lot of sense. I'm interested in seeing how much cool perks they'll add to this, and how the Templars can connect to the same gene pool network that the assassins can connect to...

gpbmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By gpbmike

Where can I get one of those masks?

Philantrophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By Philantrophy

I am going to wait for when they announce you can use three hidden blades

chrisnadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By chrisnadon

*drool*

Yzzerdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Yzzerdd

I'm sure lag will make players painfully obvious to spot.

Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jrad
    @MajorToms: Well, they don't have to connect to the same network as the assassins -- as Jeff stated, they're running 'training exercises' and jumping in to memories. The Animus was developed by Abstergo originally, right? It's likely they're not fighting against assassins but rather other Templars. As for the issue with different gene pools, it'd be trivial for a crazy-advanced monolithic megacorp like Abstergo to track people's genetic histories. For these exercises, any assassin will do. So even though they don't have access to Desmond's memories any more, they still have access to the genetic memories of the descendants of Ezio's comrades.

Perks can probably be explained with a handwave -- 'This perk alters the simulation data to manipulate the entities surrounding the user, resulting in <x>'
    CouncilSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By CouncilSpectre

I do not want to be stalked and "stabbed" by a foul mouthed 13 year old assassin on Xbox Live when my only defense is to act as much like an AI character as possible.  What a stupid idea. 
    outerabiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By outerabiz
    @Yzzerdd said:
    " I'm sure lag will make players painfully obvious to spot. "
    thats what i thought, and the sometimes awkward movement
    captainfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By captainfish

It sounds really cool, I hope the arrow thing is very vague.

the_tim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By the_tim

I was doubtful when I first heard of multiplayer Assassin's Creed, but this hands-on report makes it sound kinda awesome.

McSmunions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By McSmunions

surprised it sounds so cool, definitely more interested now. one concern would be what another user said, is it all stealth kills? or can i duke it out on a roof top? team assassinations could be cool, if you had like a VIP to protect from another group of assassins. 

all in all, more pumped about this than i thought i would be. especially if it's gonna continue desmond's story, albeit in a minor way.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Man, that sounds really interesting and fun.  I can't wait to try this out!

FireSketch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FireSketch
    @Shane394: Yeah, The Ship instantly came to my mind as well.
    This sounds a whole lot better though.
    Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Nasar7
    @MysteriousBob said:
    " The Ship says hi. "
    I thought of this too. Still, I'm glad to see another game like this.
    joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

That sounds awesome!
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By OmegaPirate
    SoFuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SoFuLL

if they get this right it could be so good!!

davidesedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By davidesedge

I'm going to diiiiiiie.

skippyscissors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By skippyscissors

Alright, now I'm on board! Cant Wait!

LankyPikey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By LankyPikey

Loved The Ship and am happy to see some devs finally use some of the awesome ideas that game brought to multiplayer. Look forward to playing it.

P.S: I wanna know what happend to The Ship 2?? That game would be perfect for consoles, e.g. on PSN/XBLA for example. I'm guessing Outerlight went bust?

Verit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Verit
    @Philantrophy said:

" I am going to wait for when they announce you can use three hidden blades "

Double hidden and a third.............. crotch..blade..?

As for MP, I was a bit anxious but still doubtful when it was announced. When I read this hands-on description, I'm feeling much more anxious. An all out stealth mode like described could be awesome but I hope they include a VIP mode or something like that, but then again, the content described here kind of does sound like VIP mode. Only difference is instead of the entire enemy team going after the VIP, each person has a random target. Sounds awesome knowing that as you get more points, you'll have more people targeted towards you.
    GozerTC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45  Edited By GozerTC

OKay THIS makes me intersted in this game.  I've never tried the previous ones but this sounds like Spies Vs Spies which is just awesome!  I love the idea of acting like an NPC to avoid getting killed.   

The best thing from what I read?  If they kill an NPC they lose their contract on me.  Making the usual "Kill everyone" idea self-defeating!  (My number one problem as a spy in TF2. :) )  

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By CL60

I am intrigued.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is very interesting. Could Ubisoft redeem themselves with multiplayer stealth action after they dropped the ball on Splinter Cell's multiplayer? Only time will tell I guess.

MinusTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By MinusTimes

I hate to be a pessimist but even if this game truly turns out well the chances of it developing a robust online community are slim to none. There are lots of other competent multiplayer modes in other games that no one plays simply because they're not Halo, Battlefield, or Call of Duty. The only thing that might give this a chance is that it at least sounds like a unique experience.  I fear that at best it will divert people for a few weeks before they go right back to the aforementioned games.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By Gabriel

Hiding in plain sight sounds kinda fun.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#50  Edited By Jedted

Sounds like fun, i like the part where you look like an ordinary citizen to other players.  The Templar training simulator thing gives an interesting story justification to the multiplayer. 

I can't wait to play it for myself!  I hope they eventually bring the beta to Xbox so everyone can try it out. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.