Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Nov 16, 2010

The third installment in the Assassin's Creed franchise, this game's story picks up right after the events of Assassin's Creed II, showing Ezio Auditore traveling to Rome to recruit a new force of assassins. Brotherhood is the first game in the series to offer online multiplayer.

This and Mass Effect contain my favorite game stories this gen.

Kash_1095

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kash_1095

They're fantastic examples that prove that video games can succeed as a unique story-telling medium. I am so pumped and prepared for Assassins Creed III. 

Also on a side note: 
    Does anyone else believe that Altair, Ezio and Desmond are each separate reincarnations of Adam without a clue of their destiny? And beginning with each ancestor post-Altair the clues become ever more prominent? Perhaps that's why Subject 16 stated that Desmond's "running out of time." Desmond = Ezio = Altair = Adam. Genetically they're possibly near-identical, explaining their extremely close appearances to one another. What if Assassins Creed III doesn't take place during a specific time period in history... but rather the period of which it all began? Maybe it'll be set in Africa during the dawn of man, and we'll play as Adam/Desmond as we discover the key to all of this.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By FancySoapsMan

you should play games with better stories then.

Kash_1095

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Kash_1095

Give me your idea of a game with a  better story so I can properly respond to you.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @Kash_1095:  To be honest, I can't really think of any from this gen.

Most of the ones I'm thinking of are old PC RPG's.

Oh well.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @FancySoapsMan said:
    " you should play games with better stories then. "
    There aren't that many games with better stories besides maybe Uncharted and a few other things. If you can't really give examples of better stories, I don't see why you even posted that.
    Kash_1095

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kash_1095

I wouldn't really agree with Uncharted as having a good story. The Uncharted series I'd say are just very well made games in general, and the execution of their stories are definitely above that of regular games. That's basically it though. They're simple, well executed, by-the-book cliche ridden stories that are effective because of their likable and somewhat relatable characters. If Uncharted were more original, I'd definitely include it in my personal list of favorite game stories. Though I do think Naughty Dog is on to something with how their developing team works in collaboration with their writing team.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Kjellm87

So this huge turtle monster flies in with his fleet of FLYING ships, RIPS out the very ground the castle sits on and takes it into SPACE.
    To stop him, a plumber and his friends master the power of space traveling and travel around the entire Universe to hunt them down.

AWESOME

Another great story was the one in Chrono Trigger 

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " @FancySoapsMan said:
    There aren't that many games with better stories besides maybe Uncharted and a few other things. If you can't really give examples of better stories, I don't see why you even posted that. "
    I came in thinking I could probably name a few games from this gen with better stories, but it turns out I can't really think of many examples (other than a few that I know a lot of people would disagree with).
    Kash_1095

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Kash_1095

List em off man. This be internet message board public opinions and all naw mean? 

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By unsolvedparadox

I would go further and say that the Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed franchises are my favourites in terms of narrative, ever. As much as I love BattleTech, a lot of that enjoyment comes from reading the novels; the games themselves gave us very little story.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By warxsnake

Agreed

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kjellm87

So I take it the main selling point for Mass Effect is the characters and story?
    I've shown interest and watched a bunch of gameplay footage, but the gameplay seems like fairly standard shooting

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By zombie2011
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " @FancySoapsMan said:
    There aren't that many games with better stories besides maybe Uncharted and a few other things. If you can't really give examples of better stories, I don't see why you even posted that. "
    Uncharted has an O.K story. It's not original it's not deep, they tell the story that they have well, but if you were to just listen to someone tell you the story you would think it's kinda shit.
    jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By jeanluc  Staff
    @Kjellm87: Pretty much. The gameplay is good, but nothing amazing. Its the story, characters, and settings that really make it great.
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Cornman89

Bioware is probably the best in the industry at making comprehensive, interesting lore, and they pack their game worlds with it to the point of overflowing (in a good way). That's what I enjoy most about Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

Assassin's Creed I wouldn't quite put on that level. But I do enjoy it because of how fucking bananas it is, and their continued committment to their insane metafiction. In case it slipped your mind, the end of AC2 had you fist-fighting the Pope in an alien bomb shelter hidden beneath the Vatican; or rather, it had you watching your ancestor do all that via a genetic time machine. Christ.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pessh

ME2's story blowed. Hopefully you're talking about the first game.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Kjellm87 said:

" So I take it the main selling point for Mass Effect is the characters and story? I've shown interest and watched a bunch of gameplay footage, but the gameplay seems like fairly standard shooting "

I thought the first one's gameplay was abysmal, didn't really care for 2's, but I didn't hate it. In my opinion the story might be a selling point for the first one, the second one, not so much. Both have fantastic lore/universe and good characters though. I would recommend them both.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@FancySoapsMan said:
    You are constantly a dick around here. 

@Kash_1095:
      Yeah, man. Brotherhood and ME2 are fantastic. I don't know if I'd call them re-incarnations of Adam; isn't it hinted at that they are of direct lineage, though?
    Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Kjellm87
    @TheSeductiveMoose said:

" @Kjellm87 said:

" So I take it the main selling point for Mass Effect is the characters and story? I've shown interest and watched a bunch of gameplay footage, but the gameplay seems like fairly standard shooting "

I thought the first one's gameplay was abysmal, didn't really care for 2's, but I didn't hate it. In my opinion the story might be a selling point for the first one, the second one, not so much. Both have fantastic lore/universe and good characters though. I would recommend them both. "
      I prefer gameplay over story ,
    but I guess I can give it a try
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @Kash_1095 said:
    " List em off man. This be internet message board public opinions and all naw mean?  "
    My favorite is Metal Gear Solid 4. And the fact that I had played the first 3 games in the series just weeks before playing Guns of the Patriots made me enjoy it much more.

And at the moment, I'm really enjoying 999's story, though I wouldn't call it my favorite yet since I haven't finished it.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @zombie2011 said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    " @FancySoapsMan said:
    Uncharted has an O.K story. It's not original it's not deep, they tell the story that they have well, but if you were to just listen to someone tell you the story you would think it's kinda shit. "
    Not really no. What makes any story good, is the character interactions, otherwise you can boil the main plot of any game down to one line that will sound stupid. Uncharted makes you excited to keep on playing, and is satisfying when the story ends. It looks damn good while doing it as well.
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By zombie2011
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " @zombie2011 said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    " @FancySoapsMan said:
    Uncharted has an O.K story. It's not original it's not deep, they tell the story that they have well, but if you were to just listen to someone tell you the story you would think it's kinda shit. "
    Not really no. What makes any story good, is the character interactions, otherwise you can boil the main plot of any game down to one line that will sound stupid. Uncharted makes you excited to keep on playing, and is satisfying when the story ends. It looks damn good while doing it as well. "
    Again the character interaction thing is because of the technology running the game. Around the girls Drake flirts and jokes, thats about it. The writing or dialogue isn't anything special, what is though is the expressions and how the characters are animated that make it feel real. In Dragon Age the relationships between characters is written so much better than anything in Uncharted, but it doesn't feel better because whenever you talk to an NPC they just look at you stonewalled, with no emotion. 
    Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23  Edited By Castiel
    @zombie2011 said:

" @LiquidPrince said:

" @zombie2011 said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    " @FancySoapsMan said:
    Not really no. What makes any story good, is the character interactions, otherwise you can boil the main plot of any game down to one line that will sound stupid. Uncharted makes you excited to keep on playing, and is satisfying when the story ends. It looks damn good while doing it as well. "
    Again the character interaction thing is because of the technology running the game. Around the girls Drake flirts and jokes, thats about it. The writing or dialogue isn't anything special, what is though is the expressions and how the characters are animated that make it feel real. In Dragon Age the relationships between characters is written so much better than anything in Uncharted, but it doesn't feel better because whenever you talk to an NPC they just look at you stonewalled, with no emotion.  "
    No it's not just the animation dude! It's also the way that the cast of Uncharted deliver they're lines that makes it so special and better than a lot of other games. Also the pace of which U 1 and 2 are told are terrific you are always moving and you never feel like they are dragging the story out. You are underrating Uncharted waaaaaayyyy too much.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @zombie2011 said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    " @zombie2011 said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    " @FancySoapsMan said:
    Again the character interaction thing is because of the technology running the game. Around the girls Drake flirts and jokes, thats about it. The writing or dialogue isn't anything special, what is though is the expressions and how the characters are animated that make it feel real. In Dragon Age the relationships between characters is written so much better than anything in Uncharted, but it doesn't feel better because whenever you talk to an NPC they just look at you stonewalled, with no emotion.  "
    Two very different types of story telling. You can't really compare them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.