Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed II

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 17, 2009

The second installment in the Assassin's Creed franchise follows the life of Ezio Auditore da Firenze as he seeks revenge on those who betrayed his family.

I'm going to Brad the Assassin's Creed series - Part 2

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

Edited By ventilaator
    CLICK HERE FOR PART 1 
    WARNING! SPOILERS FOR ASSASSIN'S CREED 2!

Assassin's Creed 2 has been obtained, and I've played a bunch of it. 
    Holy F-ing S. Ubisoft has figured out how to make the Desmond bits not completely annoying, by actualy having things happens during those segments. When you got to play as Desmond in the first game, you got to take part in such unique activities as Walk To Your Bed and Walk Back To The Animus and...well that was it really.

This game starts out by having you escape the facility you spent in the first game and beating up a bunch of dudes. Later you get to jump around like the ancestors you spend most of the game playing as.

Ubisoft has also figured out how to write a compelling story, by using such mind-blowing concepts as "Characters" which are a new addition to the series. Ezio, the lead this time around, shows more character in the first 6 seconds of appearing on screen (After the bit where you see him as a baby, obviously) than the entire first game had combined.

Gameplay-wise...I have no idea how they achieved this, but even when I'm doing the exact same stuff I did in the first game, it's way less annoying. When I ran around for viewpoints in the first game I could only do 3-5 of them before getting sick of it, here I got all the viewpoints in a city as soon as I entered it. 

Later I ran around for treasure chests after buying the map for it. There are a ton of chests literally everywhere, and it didn't get annoying.

If I had to guess, I would say it's because of the fact that the guards don't want to skewer you if you look at them funny. This makes simply running around so much more fun. 

I like doing random stuff in this game. At one point I figured I've been doing too many story missions in a row and I may be running through the game a bit fast, so I went and checked out the Assassin's Tombs, and loved the concept of turning the game into Prince of Persia for a section. The sidemissions are all fun, which is a huge improvement over the first game, which...mostly wasn't fun.

Combat still looks awesome while being unbelievably tedious, and the climbing mechanic is worse.

You heard me, there's something Assassin's Creed 1 did better. Coming directly from the first game, the climbing mechanic feels way looser, which brings the occasional situation where Ezio jumps in the completely opposite direction I wanted him to. In the first game I occasionally got stuck mid-climb, being unable to climb any higher while there was an obvious ledge to grab. In this game they overcompensated for that, if there's anything to grab onto, Ezio will, whether you want him to or not.

This doesn't break the game though, it just makes me have to pay more attention when running around. Assassin's Creed 2 is still about 60-80 infinities more enjoyable than the first game, and the game will probably be my first platinum trophy, because if I keep going like this, I will literally do everything there is to do.
    ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ventilaator
    CLICK HERE FOR PART 1 
    WARNING! SPOILERS FOR ASSASSIN'S CREED 2!

Assassin's Creed 2 has been obtained, and I've played a bunch of it. 
    Holy F-ing S. Ubisoft has figured out how to make the Desmond bits not completely annoying, by actualy having things happens during those segments. When you got to play as Desmond in the first game, you got to take part in such unique activities as Walk To Your Bed and Walk Back To The Animus and...well that was it really.

This game starts out by having you escape the facility you spent in the first game and beating up a bunch of dudes. Later you get to jump around like the ancestors you spend most of the game playing as.

Ubisoft has also figured out how to write a compelling story, by using such mind-blowing concepts as "Characters" which are a new addition to the series. Ezio, the lead this time around, shows more character in the first 6 seconds of appearing on screen (After the bit where you see him as a baby, obviously) than the entire first game had combined.

Gameplay-wise...I have no idea how they achieved this, but even when I'm doing the exact same stuff I did in the first game, it's way less annoying. When I ran around for viewpoints in the first game I could only do 3-5 of them before getting sick of it, here I got all the viewpoints in a city as soon as I entered it. 

Later I ran around for treasure chests after buying the map for it. There are a ton of chests literally everywhere, and it didn't get annoying.

If I had to guess, I would say it's because of the fact that the guards don't want to skewer you if you look at them funny. This makes simply running around so much more fun. 

I like doing random stuff in this game. At one point I figured I've been doing too many story missions in a row and I may be running through the game a bit fast, so I went and checked out the Assassin's Tombs, and loved the concept of turning the game into Prince of Persia for a section. The sidemissions are all fun, which is a huge improvement over the first game, which...mostly wasn't fun.

Combat still looks awesome while being unbelievably tedious, and the climbing mechanic is worse.

You heard me, there's something Assassin's Creed 1 did better. Coming directly from the first game, the climbing mechanic feels way looser, which brings the occasional situation where Ezio jumps in the completely opposite direction I wanted him to. In the first game I occasionally got stuck mid-climb, being unable to climb any higher while there was an obvious ledge to grab. In this game they overcompensated for that, if there's anything to grab onto, Ezio will, whether you want him to or not.

This doesn't break the game though, it just makes me have to pay more attention when running around. Assassin's Creed 2 is still about 60-80 infinities more enjoyable than the first game, and the game will probably be my first platinum trophy, because if I keep going like this, I will literally do everything there is to do.
    JBird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By JBird

Ive done exactly the same thing as you. I played the first and the second back to back, starting a month or two back. I've just finished assassins creed 2. I agree with you, ive had an incredible time with the game, and thoroughly enjoyed it.  

My one criticism is that i played the platinum version of the game, and in this version both bits of DLC are implemented, and this really took the edge off. Because at the end of segment 11 the story is kicking in big time, its all great. and then i had to play 4 hours of filler, which whilst enjoyable is very much the deleted scenes. It doesnt add anything. I woke up this morning wanting to finish it off and it took AGGES! but aside from that its an incredible game, and what an ending! 

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

There was secret stuff you could do as Desmond in the first game.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Rockanomics

I can't believe you could be down on the climbing when they added FAST CLIMBING! 

Every time I went up a tower and he just went hand over hand without stopping at every brick I was in love.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " There was secret stuff you could do as Desmond in the first game. "
    Shhh. It's a secret!
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Tennmuerti

You are going to have some hate toward Brotherhood if trying to 100% it. The parkour mechanics are still just as loose and there are quite a few races that require you to be perfect to get 100% sync on them.
    Combat is way better in Brotherhood however. At first it feels the same but if you truly master the kill chains Ezio becomes a whirlwind of  death.
    And yes Liquid is right there is a bit of secret stuff going on outside the animus in AC1.

Khadyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Khadyn

Currently playing this also and love everything they did to "improve" the series. I will agree the climbing ability is sometimes annoying with him jumping wrong way (opposite direction) or auto grabbing chimneys when I just wanted him to run around it to face stab a guard but, other then that CAN'T wait to see how much better Brotherhood gets compared to AC2...

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ventilaator
    @Tennmuerti:@LiquidPrince: 

Yeah, you could walk around and interact with some objects to get some information about stuff I didn't care about, because I was too busy being annoyed at the completely idiotic plot mechanic.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.