Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed II

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 17, 2009

The second installment in the Assassin's Creed franchise follows the life of Ezio Auditore da Firenze as he seeks revenge on those who betrayed his family.

uPlay awards

sukru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By sukru

dd
    I found that you can "buy" awards for your achievements on uplay. Has anybody tried these?

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By unsolvedparadox

Yup, I bought the exclusive theme (designed for pre-NXE, ugh) and the exclusive Assassin Tomb (haven't tried it yet). The system is functional, but the UI looks very last generation to me.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Karmum
    @UnsolvedParadox: 
    I'd like to ask, what exactly is "uPlay?" I've seen the icon and logo in the game (main menu), but have never bothered to check it out.
    yevinorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#4  Edited By yevinorion

It's a "frequent flyer" style rewards system that gives you points based on certain achievements/trophies you unlock in the game. You can then spend these reward points on things such as console themes, extra throwing knife upgrade, a special assassin's tomb and Altair's outfit from AC1. This is actually the first Ubisoft game to employ this, but R.U.S.E. and Splinter Cell: Conviction will also use this system upon their respective releases.

I quite like it, because it's rewarding you for just playing the game as intended. All the achievements that give points are story-based an unmissable. The extra stuff in no way is game-breaking, but adds a bit more utility (in the case of the knives), backstory (with the tomb) and just plain AC1 fan-service (with Altair's robes).

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#5  Edited By Icemael

So basically, achievements get you rewards? Awesome. I've never really seen the point of achievements since you don't get anything for completing them(besides a bigger E-penis), but if I get actual stuff, I've got a reason to go for them. More developers need to do stuff like this.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By BrittonPeele

Yeah, I like the concept of Uplay. I downloaded the Assassin's Creed II theme last night (though, as stated, it sadly doesn't really take advantage of the NXE) and will probably try out the exclusive tomb.

unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By unsolvedparadox
    @Karmum said:

" @UnsolvedParadox:  I'd like to ask, what exactly is "uPlay?" I've seen the icon and logo in the game (main menu), but have never bothered to check it out. "

Head on over to www.uplay.com and sign up (or log in with your ubi.com credentials if you have one of those accounts). Then log into the game, load the uPlay interface (I think it's Y on the 360) and then log in again there.

In a nutshell, it's:

@yevinorion said: 

" It's a "frequent flyer" style rewards system that gives you points based on certain achievements/trophies you unlock in the game. You can then spend these reward points on things such as console themes, extra throwing knife upgrade, a special assassin's tomb and Altair's outfit from AC1. This is actually the first Ubisoft game to employ this, but R.U.S.E. and Splinter Cell: Conviction will also use this system upon their respective releases.  I quite like it, because it's rewarding you for just playing the game as intended. All the achievements that give points are story-based an unmissable. The extra stuff in no way is game-breaking, but adds a bit more utility (in the case of the knives), backstory (with the tomb) and just plain AC1 fan-service (with Altair's robes). "

Yup, that's it on the head. It's a bit weird to see Achievement Unlocked at the top, then uPlay Reward on the bottom for the same thing.
    RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RedRoach
    @Karmum said:
    " @UnsolvedParadox:  I'd like to ask, what exactly is "uPlay?" I've seen the icon and logo in the game (main menu), but have never bothered to check it out. "
    it's a Ubisoft rewards system. It's a lot like the 360 achievement system, you earn points by doing certain things like completing the game. You can then spend those points, with my AC2 points, i bought the 360 theme and the Auditore tomb.
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Karmum

I had my question answered about an hour ago, but thank you! I guess I will check this out next time I log in.

bigpig33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By bigpig33

I cant get Uplay to recognize my Xbox live account

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By MildMolasses
    @bigpig33:
    I can't get it to do anything.I signed up, but I can'teven find a spot to enter my live account. It's seems completely broken to me, but I guess there is a way as people are doing it
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By unsolvedparadox
    @bigpig33 said:

" I cant get Uplay to recognize my Xbox live account "

As in, you logged into uPlay from the game's main menu and it wouldn't accept your uPlay/Ubi.com credentials? I never explicitly linked my gamertag to uPlay. 

@MildMolasses said: 

@bigpig33: I can't get it to do anything.I signed up, but I can'teven find a spot to enter my live account. It's seems completely broken to me, but I guess there is a way as people are doing it "

Same question to you as well! I think both of you are trying to explicitly link gamertag to Ubisoft, when you don't need to.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By trophyhunter

yeah uplay is awesome I got more throwing knives and the altiar outfit

skavanker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By skavanker

This is a crappy marketing concept. Why couldn't I just buy more throwing knifes upgrades in-game or make Altiar outfit available some other way. Worst of all is the exclusive level, I feel like they hide some of the game from me. I could just go get it from uPlay, but why the hell would I go to the trouble.

unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By unsolvedparadox
    @skavanker said:
    " This is a crappy marketing concept. Why couldn't I just buy more throwing knifes upgrades in-game or make Altiar outfit available some other way. Worst of all is the exclusive level, I feel like they hide some of the game from me. I could just go get it from uPlay, but why the hell would I go to the trouble. "
    You can expand your throwing knife belt in the game. I didn't get the uPlay knife upgrade yet, maybe that's even MORE knives?
    skavanker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By skavanker
    @UnsolvedParadox said:
    " @skavanker said:
    " This is a crappy marketing concept. Why couldn't I just buy more throwing knifes upgrades in-game or make Altiar outfit available some other way. Worst of all is the exclusive level, I feel like they hide some of the game from me. I could just go get it from uPlay, but why the hell would I go to the trouble. "
    You can expand your throwing knife belt in the game. I didn't get the uPlay knife upgrade yet, maybe that's even MORE knives? "  

Yeah I haven't done the uPlay thing either, but I think you get 5 more throwing knifes. 20 is plenty, but its just the concept of me going  to all the trouble that I don't like
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Icemael
    @skavanker said:
    They're called unlockables, and they've been in games for decades. Complete specific things in the game, and you get rewarded. 

And why do you feel like they're hiding something from you? Because they want you to complete specific missions before you can unlock the bonus level? You might as well be saying "Damn, why does it require me to play through the story missions before it lets me reach the final level? I feel like they hide some of the game for me. I could just complete the missions, but why the hell would I go through the trouble."

See?
    skavanker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By skavanker
    @Icemael said:

" @skavanker said:

They're called unlockables, and they've been in games for decades. Complete specific things in the game, and you get rewarded.  And why do you feel like they're hiding something from you? Because they want you to complete specific missions before you can unlock the bonus level? You might as well be saying "Damn, why does it require me to play through the story missions before it lets me reach the final level? I feel like they hide some of the game for me. I could just complete the missions, but why the hell would I go through the trouble." See? "

Well it isnt the unlockable part im unhappy about  its the part that I have to register at uPlay.com to get a hold of any of it. I think this is an unnecessary step. Much better to have it unlockable ingame.
    zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By zeforgotten
    @skavanker said:
    " @UnsolvedParadox said:
    " @skavanker said:
    You can expand your throwing knife belt in the game. I didn't get the uPlay knife upgrade yet, maybe that's even MORE knives? "  
     Yeah I haven't done the uPlay thing either, but I think you get 5 more throwing knifes. 20 is plenty, but its just the concept of me going  to all the trouble that I don't like "
    I had no trouble of making an account. 
    Just hit the Triangle button (obviously, I have the PS3 version :P) and went in and made one. 45 seconds - 1 minute later, I was done.  
    How is that hard to do, exactly? 
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CptBedlam

I'm okay with the concept. But some things such as "more knives" should be obtained ingame. They should use it for stuff, that doesn't really fit into the games narrative. The original altair-costume is a good example.

In the end it's just Ubisoft using the achievement system the same way MS does: You'll want to increase that number and if you're on the fence about a purchase, it'll tip you towards their side. Some people get the 360 version of multiplatform games in order to increase their GS (yeah, meanwhile Sony catched up but most people began their gamerscore career on 360 and stay with it). It's maybe the same now with Ubisoft games. If you can't decide between two games, you'll probably take uplay into consideration and go for the Ubisoft game.

I also tried the family crypt last night. It's nothing special though. Among all the tombs in the game, it's probably the worst.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zeforgotten
    @CptBedlam said:
    " I'm okay with the concept. But some things such as "more knives" should be obtained ingame.   In the end it's just Ubisoft using the achievement system the same way MS does: You'll want to increase that number and if you're on the fence about a purchase, it'll tip you at their side. Some people get the 360 version of multiplatform games in order to increase their GS (yeah, meanwhile Sony catched up but most people began their gamerscore career on 360 and stay with it). It's maybe the same now with Ubisoft games. If you can't decide between two games, you'll probably take uplay into consideration and go for the Ubisoft game.  I also tried the family crypt last night. It's nothing special though. Among all the tombs in the game, it's probably the worst. "
    How is that gonna make it any easier to decide on the ubisoft games coming out since they will most likely have them in all the new ones they're developing? 
    Aren't they gonna be standing there going "Oh man, what game shall I pick?!! they all have Uplay points"
    How is that easier for a waste-of-oxygen-pointswhore? :o
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CptBedlam
    @ZeForgotten said:

" @CptBedlam said:

" I'm okay with the concept. But some things such as "more knives" should be obtained ingame.   In the end it's just Ubisoft using the achievement system the same way MS does: You'll want to increase that number and if you're on the fence about a purchase, it'll tip you at their side. Some people get the 360 version of multiplatform games in order to increase their GS (yeah, meanwhile Sony catched up but most people began their gamerscore career on 360 and stay with it). It's maybe the same now with Ubisoft games. If you can't decide between two games, you'll probably take uplay into consideration and go for the Ubisoft game.  I also tried the family crypt last night. It's nothing special though. Among all the tombs in the game, it's probably the worst. "

How is that gonna make it any easier to decide on the ubisoft games coming out since they will most likely have them in all the new ones they're developing? Aren't they gonna be standing there going "Oh man, what game shall I pick?!! they all have Uplay points"How is that easier for a waste-of-oxygen-pointswhore? :o "
     You know, it doesn't make much sense if you are only buying Ubisoft games. But there are games from other publishers out there that are good. And if you have to decide between say an EA game and a Ubisoft game, the uplay stuff will probably tip you towards Ubisoft.
    zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By zeforgotten
    @CptBedlam said:
    " @ZeForgotten said:

" @CptBedlam said:

How is that gonna make it any easier to decide on the ubisoft games coming out since they will most likely have them in all the new ones they're developing? Aren't they gonna be standing there going "Oh man, what game shall I pick?!! they all have Uplay points"How is that easier for a waste-of-oxygen-pointswhore? :o "
     You know, it doesn't make much sense if you are only buying Ubisoft games. But there are games from other publishers out there that are good. And if you have to decide between say an EA game and a Ubisoft game, the uplay stuff will probably tip you towards Ubisoft. "
    Hmm, you might be right. 
    For me personally the rewards you could buy for the game with the Upoints would have to be way better than say a Theme for your Xbox or PS3 and throwing knives. 
    I can't wait to see what they're gonna put up as "rewards" later on, it's super new now, so it's starting out slow. 
    At least there is some kind of use for the points you earn now instead of just having a number that does nothing
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By Rhaknar

you can use the points you get in assassin's 2 in future ubisoft titles btw. and I dont know if its a bug, but i got 10 points for signing up on my pc (I didnt know you could do it from the console) and then another 10 from signing up on the console

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By CL60
    @CptBedlam said:
    " I also tried the family crypt last night. It's nothing special though. Among all the tombs in the game, it's probably the worst. "
    No it wasn't, the entire point of the crypt was to give you Auditore family history, and that's exactly what it did.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CptBedlam
    @CL60 said:
    " @CptBedlam said:
    " I also tried the family crypt last night. It's nothing special though. Among all the tombs in the game, it's probably the worst. "
    No it wasn't, the entire point of the crypt was to give you Auditore family history, and that's exactly what it did. "
    Of course, but they couldn't have possibly presented it in a worse way. The crypt looked bland and not much like an actual crypt. The same old awkward switch and jumping puzzles etc.
    MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By MildMolasses
    @UnsolvedParadox:
    Well, I've signed up both ways. Yet I can't seem to get either one to recognize the other (ie, the sign-up info I used on the website won't work in the game, and the in-game sign up seems to have created itself, and I have no idea what the password is). 

It just seems like a badly designed and implemented program. Hopefully it gets fixed because I would like the extra content
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Icemael
    @CptBedlam said:

" I'm okay with the concept. But some things such as "more knives" should be obtained ingame. They should use it for stuff, that doesn't really fit into the games narrative. The original altair-costume is a good example. In the end it's just Ubisoft using the achievement system the same way MS does: You'll want to increase that number and if you're on the fence about a purchase, it'll tip you towards their side."

But uPlay points aren't like that. They aren't something you show off to other people -- they're something you spend on in-game content for the Ubisoft games you've bought. I doubt someone will go "Hey, this game has unlockables so I'm gonna buy it instead of this other one".
    rockstar428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#29  Edited By rockstar428

the tomb you unlock is really cool, if you liked the other assassin's tombs you'll like this one too, plus it gives back story on Ezio's family

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By GunstarRed

it's a silly idea but i'm saving my points for something ghost recon/splinter cellish seeing as all the points carry over... nothing in ACII seemed all that appealing
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Karmum
    @marioncobretti said:

" it's a silly idea but i'm saving my points for something ghost recon/splinter cellish seeing as all the points carry over... nothing in ACII seemed all that appealing "

Not really, that is a smart idea. If you didn't like anything, why bother spending it now when you can gain more and maybe buy something you might like in a different game?
    Sinkwater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By Sinkwater

I'm gonna hoard my points.  The only thing I've seen worth purchasing is whatever the multiplayer mode will be in SC:C

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By Brendan

I lke the idea of uplay points better than Microsoft points, it actually gives me something tangible.  Not that I'm againt MS points, but when I found out I could use Uplay points it was a nice surprise.
    gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By gike987

I really likes the idea of cross game unlockables and the throwing knife pouch is large enough as it is, so why complain when it's free.
    This is basically what the achievement system should have been.

unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By unsolvedparadox
    @gike987 said:
    " I really likes the idea of cross game unlockables and the throwing knife pouch is large enough as it is, so why complain when it's free. This is basically what the achievement system should have been. "
    The knife upgrade isn't that great, the large one you can buy with florins is more than you'll ever need (I probably used 10 knives the entire game). 

As for achievements leading to unlockables, I think it's coming: Halo Waypoint is a pretty cool example of that.
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By Bouke

I only unlocked the auditore crypt, which has some timed platforming and gives you some background on Ezio's family (which i thought was really nice). I don't really need an AC2 wallpaper and Ryan said on the bombcast its bad. I wonder if anyone wants the extra throwing knives... i didn't. And i like Ezio's outfit more, so why unlock the Altaïr outfit!? The rewards for Splintercell Conviction are the Scar-H (extra weapon), an extra MP skin and MP game mode. And also a wallpaper... They look somewhat better then the AC2 rewards.
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By unsolvedparadox
    @Bouke said:
    " I only unlocked the auditore crypt, which has some timed platforming and gives you some background on Ezio's family (which i thought was really nice). I don't really need an AC2 wallpaper and Ryan said on the bombcast its bad. I wonder if anyone wants the extra throwing knives... i didn't. And i like Ezio's outfit more, so why unlock the Altaïr outfit!? The rewards for Splintercell Conviction are the Scar-H (extra weapon), an extra MP skin and MP game mode. And also a wallpaper... They look somewhat better then the AC2 rewards. "
    I saved most of my points from this game for that reason, although I'll probably add Altair's outfit to my wardrobe for variety.
    Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#38  Edited By Pibo47

Someone already said it, but the UI looks way way last gen and kinda lame. Update that, throw more goodies...and i think we got a winner. I like getting stuff for getting achievements.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#39  Edited By KowalskiManDown

The exclusive Assassin's tomb is worth the points. Everything else is not.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#40  Edited By Jedted

The Auditore Tomb is fun and basicaly confirms Shaun's theory of how the codex ends up in Italy.  I wish they had more tombs that were unlocked via achievements but there's always DLC. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.