Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed III: Liberation

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 30, 2012

Liberation is a Assassin's Creed game for the Playstation Vita, starring a Creole female main character named Aveline de Grandpré, who joins up with the Assassins to search for the truth behind her mother's disappearance. An HD version will be released digitally for PS3, PC, and Xbox 360.

Worst intro ever?

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#1  Edited By Soap

Maybe it's because I've been playing a lot of Assassins Creed III, which has what can only be described as having a 4 hour intro, but the intro of this story boils down to:

The game has a cold open with you playing as a small girl who follows a chicken and loses her mother, then suddenly flash forward to fighting a bunch of men with no explanation other than you need to learn how to do this. Next thing you wake up in your bed and get told some random and unrelated stuff by a woman who reveals herself to be your step mother. This cutscene ends with Aveline getting up, opening a chest near her bed and lifting out her assassins outfit, she puts it on and next thing you know your stood on the roof, in full assassins gear, already in possession of the dual blades and other weapons.

Did I miss something here? Why the fuck does she have any of this stuff? I'm going to keep playing in the hope that eventually something here decides to make sense, but for anyone on the fence about this game consider it a warning that it's not that great (at least in the early hours)

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By _Zombie_

That actually sounds pretty goddamn stupid.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By imhungry

I thought it was a pretty good intro actually. Clearly the chicken is an assassin master and leads the child in order to instruct her in the dark arts. After which she has to cut apart the chicken to find her assassin weaponry inside of it. After committing said act, the animal rights activists of the age took offense and attacked her, resulting in her realisation of her destiny to carry on her chicken master's legacy.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#4  Edited By Soap

@ImHungry said:

I thought it was a pretty good intro actually. Clearly the chicken is an assassin master and leads the child in order to instruct her in the dark arts. After which she has to cut apart the chicken to find her assassin weaponry inside of it. After committing said act, the animal rights activists of the age took offense and attacked her, resulting in her realisation of her destiny to carry on her chicken master's legacy.

Ahh man I totally missed that, but now you mention it that does seem to make a lot of sense.

Thanks for clearing that up for me! GOTY!

Ksaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Ksaw

As dumb as that sounds, at least there doesn't seem to be a tedious 6-8 hour barrier between starting the game and getting to play as the fully realized main character.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By _Zombie_

@Ksaw said:

As dumb as that sounds, at least there doesn't seem to be a tedious 6-8 hour barrier between starting the game and getting to play as the fully realized main character.

Didn't feel tedious to me. If anything, Haytham was pretty fun to play as.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mcfart

Yup, it's rushed. Just take it as: your mother dies, and you become an Assassin to avenge her/protect slaves and shit. However, the tutorial's pretty short (mostly forced to be stuck in a particular persona, and the Lady ones feel the longest since some genius thought that one of the personas should not be able to climb, jump, or sprint).

Prob 2 hours in, and since Lib. has the same mechanics as AC3 (minus the personas), I can't see how AC3 could possibly have a 6 hour tutorial....

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Wemibelle

@Ksaw said:

So it's an Assassin Creed game then?

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mcfart

@wemibelec90 said:

@Ksaw said:

So it's an Assassin Creed game then?

Brotherhood did the same thing as AC3, and even AC2 to an extent...but at least in AC2 you didn't feel casterated because there were white walls preventing you from getting to any view towers for the first 5 memory blocks....

Fuck Brotherhood.

Ksaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ksaw

@zombiebigfoot said:

@Ksaw said:

Didn't feel tedious to me. If anything, Haytham was pretty fun to play as.

I though he was a well realized character, I just didn't enjoy playing as him.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pompouspizza

@Ksaw: I feel exactly the same.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By Addfwyn

Well, it's a portable game. By design they usually have to be digestible in shorter chunks, so it wants to get you into things a bit faster. Do you really want to go through a series of cinematic openings on a train, having to pause in the middle of cutscenes?

That said, things seem to be alluding to fleshing out what happened a bit more in depth than that. Especially from what I read in the character profiles that are already available to you pretty early on. She runs away from her mother while chasing a chicken, mother then abandons her and her father at an early age. That initial dream fight sequence is done in her slave persona, so presumably she was having a nightmare about being a slave. Which, even if she is half, is a reasonable fear in New Orleans at that point in history.

I haven't had a chance to play too much, so I don't know so much about the assassin stuff other than what is written in the bio at the very start of the game (so...not really a spoiler). Just that the Assassin's seemed to use her natural distrust of people, as a result of having been abandoned, in order to recruit her.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#13  Edited By EpicSteve

Sounds like the antithesis of Assassin's Creed III's long drawn out opening.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By reisz

I just started this yesterday, It came across very clearly to me as the game starting after her initiation into the brotherhood and the child-adult flashback was very obviously a bad dream, what with the snake in the mouth and then being woken up by her step-mother, it was a cold open but not bad at all in my opinion, I expect later there will be some more exposition.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.