Best thing about this game so far...

#1 Posted by thomasnash (579 posts) -

"Load last checkpoint..."

I've only played for about an hour so far, so I can't speak to how I'm liking the game too much, but even in that short time you can already tell that this is a far superior product to Revelations (and Brotherhood, I would say) - and I say this as someone who didn't think those games were as bad as some others, mechanically at least. The story is total garbage but that's sort of a problem with the entire series. Honestly a lot of what Ryan was saying in the QL made me think I probably wasn't going to enjoy this game, but I'll save those thoughts for when I can actually speak to them. But I can say that there are a few little tweaks to the game that I really like. Having an option to return to a checkpoint is really just emblematic of that, because It always seemed totally ridiculous to not have that option in previous games, particularly after they introduced the "full syncronisation" mechanic (this was how I discovered how difficult it was to die in these games, because everytime I missed a full sync objective I would have to try and get killed to go back to a checkpoint rather than start the mission over).

But there are other little changes that I reallyl ike too. Having the secondary objectives pop up at the relevant moments, rather than just being told them at the start of the section does a lot for keeping you "in" the experience, I think. Streamlining the whole high and low profile actions thing was a good move. I can't think of any more, but I appreciate those small changes nonetheless.

Althoug they do still do the thing which I think assassin's creed series has always been really bad at, which is switching between cutscenes and direct control really arbitrarily in some moments. At the very start of this game, there is a segment where Desmond and co are going int oa building which switches betwee nthe two about 3 times. But the cutscenes don't give you any new information, and you don't do anything of interest when you have control (and of course, desmond has never been fun to control anyway). It always annoys me, even though its a really minor thing. A lot of games do it, I think. It always makes the experience feel kind of rough and shoddily put together though.

#2 Posted by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

Best thing for me has been Connor's running animation when you zig-zag left and right with the stick. Super fluid.

I also think the bright white screen fade feels pretty jarring when going into a cutscene, especially after walking only a few feet.

#3 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@DharmaBum said:

Best thing for me has been Connor's running animation when you zig-zag left and right with the stick. Super fluid.

I also think the bright white screen fade feels pretty jarring when going into a cutscene, especially after walking only a few feet.

The entire white screen flash in a dark room hurts da eyes. 
#4 Posted by takayamasama (441 posts) -

My vote goes to Air Assassinating animals from trees.

I can do that shit all day.

#5 Posted by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man: for real. Playing on a 40-inch screen and I need sunglasses.

#6 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@DharmaBum said:

@The_Laughing_Man: for real. Playing on a 40-inch screen and I need sunglasses.

O hey look im at my Go O MY GOD MY EYES JESUS CHRIST. 
#7 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

The animations are pretty excellent. My favorite being when you're sprinting and you hit a tree, Connor does that little push off of the tree. The movement is excellent.

#8 Posted by Genkkaku (737 posts) -

Petting a dog

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.