Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed III

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Oct 30, 2012

The fifth console entry in the Assassin's Creed franchise. It introduces the half-Native American, half-English Assassin Connor and is set in North America in the late eighteenth century amid the American Revolutionary War.

Buggiest Game I Have Ever Played

iAteBillyMays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By iAteBillyMays

This past week I have been pretty sick, so I could just be seeing things oddly, but so far this is one of the buggiest games I have ever played. Shit wont show up on the minimap, combat buttons won't respond when they are supposed to, missions will fail me for no apparent reason, dialogue will appear in the wrong speakers or won't appear at all, lips wont move, characters will get trapped, frames get WAY too slow, shadows look blocky as all hell, etc... I literally run into a bug every 10 seconds. Is it just me? I'm starting to feel like I'm going crazy, no one else really has these issues.

iAteBillyMays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By iAteBillyMays

I feel like this game is still in BETA testing...

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By morningstar

You havent played many eastern european games then ^^

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Or Fallout.

iAteBillyMays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By iAteBillyMays

I just expected a lot more from Ubisoft, Assasin's Creed 2 was phenomenal.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By clstirens

I'm noticing a lot more games coming out lately are feeling more and more buggy, and just plain wonky. Even last year, we had a few games like this (BF3 was a buggy mess for a month or so).

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By BoOzak

I havent had any audio problems, but the framerate does dip, and the shadows are blocky, as for glitches i've encountered pathfinding issues but that's just an open world thing. So it's like the other AC games basicly. Except this one thinks it's a movie.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Try Fallout: New Vegas, then. I haven't experienced any major bugs in this game. The tiny bugs I've encountered I'm willing to forgive because it's a new engine and I'm just having a blast with the game.

iAteBillyMays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By iAteBillyMays

I think I need to focus on just completing the game, rather than getting 100% sync first. I don't want these bugs ruining the story for me.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By nightriff

@MariachiMacabre said:

Fallout: New Vegas

Buggiest game I experienced, Bethesda games are notorious for being broken. New Vegas was the worst overall but Skyrim had the worst bug, was 3 missions away from getting a S rank, piece of shit game....

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Cloudenvy

@MariachiMacabre said:

Try Fallout: New Vegas, then.

I was about to say. If this is the buggiest game you've ever played, you've been relatively lucky.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @Cloudenvy

@MariachiMacabre said:

I was about to say. If this is the buggiest game you've ever played, you've been relatively lucky.

To be fair, it was pretty funny walking into that prison and seeing, like, 10 of those Rams all crammed into each of the guard towers.
    Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13  Edited By Castiel

It's not the game, it's the Animus.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zaccheus
    AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AlexanderSheen

Looks like you didn't played any of the STALKER games before.

Also:

@Zaccheus said:

I don't think this needed another thread.

gamewriterguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By gamewriterguy

I work in the game industry so I've seen a LOT of heinous bugs. But the last game to horrify me was Resistance 3. Not only could you fall through the world etc etc., but it takes 40 minutes to delete the 2GB+ of game data the game burps up on your hard drive!

Here's the sad tale: http://gamewriter.videogamewriter.com/game-writer/buggiest-game/

I wouldn't say it's the buggiest I've ever played, though. I'll have to think about that one. It wasn't Skyrim, though. People whine about Skyrim constantly; I had few problems with it.

And sure, this topic always gets beaten to death, but it's like "best game you've ever played" -- a chestnut that always keeps on givin'.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By EpicSteve

That's a pretty strong statement. At least you don't have the issue having having spent dollars on terrible games.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By MetalGearSunny

I feel like someone says this whenever a huge open world game comes out.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By MildMolasses

I would make this claim without any hyperbole. I know there are other glitchfest games out there, but I have never played one that so consistently displayed some sort of bug. None were game breaking, but all were noticeable.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By gaminghooligan

It's got a lot of bugs, but it still isn't the monumental bug and glitch fest that was last years GOTY Skyrim. Not dogging Skyrim at all, it's a fantastic game, but that first few weeks after release for me on the PC were plagued by strange game breaking bugs. Some so bad they required hours of backtracking through saves to remedy. AC3 is reminiscent of this in the way things will botch a mission, but I for one have yet to find anything so atrocious that it ruined my experience.

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By Peanut

Yeah, it's pretty fucked sometimes. It's almost like I'm playing Russian roulette every time I boot the game. Sometimes I'll get the version that plays perfectly, other times I'll get the version where free-running straight up breaks, combat buttons cease to work, objectives on the minimap appear and disappear at will, audio issues are consistent, NPC's get caught in loops during missions when they need to be followed to advance, and the game straight up freezes.

I honestly think the game is bipolar.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Catarrhal

@iAteBillyMays: As someone who once had a real-life encounter with the late Billy Mays, I'm actually kinda disturbed by your username.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Klei

@iAteBillyMays said:

I just expected a lot more from Ubisoft, Assasin's Creed 2 was phenomenal.

Maybe to you, but to me AC2 was as buggy as AC3. And bugs are always more common in vast, open world titles. I'm not trying to defend the game, I'm just saying, it comes with the type of game. Look at Skyrim's state at launch on the PS3. It was grotesque.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Justin258

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Cloudenvy

@MariachiMacabre said:

To be fair, it was pretty funny walking into that prison and seeing, like, 10 of those Rams all crammed into each of the guard towers.

This might sound nuts but across the PC and 360 versions of Fallout New Vegas I have experienced a grand total of one hard lock on the 360 version and no other bugs to speak of. For Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, and Fallout 3, I can't remember coming across any bugs.

...is this insane luck or something?

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pweidman

Haven't played AC3 yet, but buggy games brings to mind, for me, pretty much Bethesda's games. FO3 and Skyrim the most. Skyrim was pretty redic when it dropped. And their first few patches just made everything worse...to a shocking degree imo. Vegas was bad for sure, but it improved significantly after a few patches and once installed, whereas ES5 and, FO3 to a much lesser degree, seemed to take longer to get things sorted, patches, installed, or not.

Open world games inherently perhaps I spose, but others were fine right? Lost Odyssey and KoAmalur were pretty much clean. Maybe either weren't really open world now that I think about it. GTA 4 wasn't so buggy right? I didn't particularly like that game but can't remember many bugs really.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By _Zombie_

I've encountered minimal bugs, none that were bothersome at all.

And seriously. Play a Bethesda game, AC3 is pretty much glitch-free compared to those. Especially the PS3 versions.

Vao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Vao

Glitches per hype this might be pretty high, ive had some minor bugs and couple mission failure bugs in the 8 hours or so I'm in, I still think it's a pretty good game but i wish they had tested it before hand more

funny glitch though is seeing a young Connor kill and air assassinate wildlife with an invisible hidden blade.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By _Zombie_

@believer258 said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Cloudenvy

@MariachiMacabre said:

This might sound nuts but across the PC and 360 versions of Fallout New Vegas I have experienced a grand total of one hard lock on the 360 version and no other bugs to speak of. For Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, and Fallout 3, I can't remember coming across any bugs.

...is this insane luck or something?

That's ridiculously insane luck.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

This is certainly a supremely buggy game, but if it's the buggiest game you've ever played, you're not playing enough games.

osuzoo08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By osuzoo08

This game has been buggy for me also I have texture pop out not in people will be walking towards me and then disappear. This has happened with people who I was told to kill and the mission says I have failed it or a contact is telling me where to go and the sound cuts off and the info is not displayed on the mini map either. The funniest one was probably about 15 people walking on the water in Boston by the one fort.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#31  Edited By Pepsiman

Big Rigs would like a word with you all.

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By avidwriter

Hey OP, on which platform?

iAteBillyMays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By iAteBillyMays

@Catarrhal said:

@iAteBillyMays: As someone who once had a real-life encounter with the late Billy Mays, I'm actually kinda disturbed by your username.

Anyone that is disturbed by my username should probably just quit using the internet.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By LiquidPrince

I've witnessed a grand total of 1 glitch in all of my 12 hours of gameplay, and that was within the first hour of the game. The captain on the ship Haytham was riding to Boston was talking but his mouth wasn't moving. It started moving after the next cutscene though. That's it. I wouldn't call blocky shadows glitches though. That's just how the engine can render shadows given the current console hardware. I don't know why develops use real time shadows when they end up looking horrible. Just bake your shadows into the environment and have it look fantastic. I'd imagine it'd help the framrate as well.

ThroneOfGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ThroneOfGames

If Assassin's Creed III is the buggiest game you've played, you haven't tried Daggerfall yet.

studnoth1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By studnoth1n

even for an open world game, this game is unreasonably buggy. and more than just quantifying the amount of bugs, i think the unnecessary frustration of the specific types of bugs permitted for release is very telling indeed. my guess is that some of those "bugs" are so badly imbedded and systemic of the gameplay that they'll never be resolved, at least completely

anyway, i think even addressing them at this point is sort of irrelevant, but that's just me. this is now become demonstrative of a kind of vision and work ethic associate to ubiosoft, which i would assume they would treat their triple a titles with a bit more tlc, but i guess it's only important to those who buy the game.

SinKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SinKing

"baked shadows"

I didn't play Assassin's creed, but I suppose it has day- or nightcycles. So, if you bake the shadows they will always stay in the same place, while the lights are moving around. I'm actually amazed any games are still running on the consoles and look as good as they do. They severely lack RAM, which is something that should be upgradable over the years, really.

It's weird the talking animations aren't triggered. It doesn't seem like this would be a big issue or difficult to fix for the developer. Yeah, it's weird we get more and more games that are buggy way after the release. BF3's singleplayer is still buggy and triggers often don't work. I guess studios release when the publisher says a game is finished, not when the studio thinks it is.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#38  Edited By StarvingGamer

If there was Full Sync in ACII I don't think you'd be remembering it as glowingly. Maybe you're just cursed, but ACIII seems no more buggy than any of the other AC games to me. Actually, now that I've stopped caring as much about Full Sync, I've been perceiving bugs far less often than I did in AC:Bro and AC:Rev.

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By sumbog

Ive had game breaking bugs before, but this game has had the worst one yet for me. 90% of the voice acting, including all the main characters (Some random NPC seem fine), is either completely silent, or extremely low. I have fiddled with all my settings, gone through every fix I could think of, and even tried using a different copy of the game, but it still won't work. All my other games work perfectly on my PS3, but not this one. I will probably just get the Xbox version and see if that works for me.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By LiquidPrince

@SinKing said:

"baked shadows"

I didn't play Assassin's creed, but I suppose it has day- or nightcycles. So, if you bake the shadows they will always stay in the same place, while the lights are moving around. I'm actually amazed any games are still running on the consoles and look as good as they do. They severely lack RAM, which is something that should be upgradable over the years, really.

It's weird the talking animations aren't triggered. It doesn't seem like this would be a big issue or difficult to fix for the developer. Yeah, it's weird we get more and more games that are buggy way after the release. BF3's singleplayer is still buggy and triggers often don't work. I guess studios release when the publisher says a game is finished, not when the studio thinks it is.

Well at that point baked shadows become textures essentially, and you can change them around as the day goes son.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.