Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed III

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Oct 30, 2012

The fifth console entry in the Assassin's Creed franchise. It introduces the half-Native American, half-English Assassin Connor and is set in North America in the late eighteenth century amid the American Revolutionary War.

Chasing Hickey.

• 63 results
    GenghisJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By GenghisJohn

Fuck you Ubisoft.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By N7

Follow him down the initial alley and then once you are there, run straight through everyone's backyard and you will be able to cut him off. You can finish it in about 20 seconds.

borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By borodin

@N7 said:

Follow him down the initial alley and then once you are there, run straight through everyone's backyard and you will be able to cut him off. You can finish it in about 20 seconds.

This, or you can cut him off by turning left down the main road when the horse and carriage pulls out in front of you. It is really stupid though, soo frustrating if you're just treating it as one of the other million foot chases there have been in AC games

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By N7
    @Borodin said:

@N7 said:

This, or you can cut him off by turning left down the main road when the horse and carriage pulls out in front of you. It is really stupid though, soo frustrating if you're just treating it as one of the other million foot chases there have been in AC games

The first time I did that mission, me and him circled his entire path THREE TIMES. THREE. It was the closest substitute to Nascar you can get in the colonies.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By natetodamax

Yep, I just quit the game because of that chase. What an abomination of a mission.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#6  Edited By StarvingGamer

@GenghisJohn said:

Fuck you Ubisoft.

As much as I love ACIII, I have to agree. Possibly the worst-handled mission objective.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@Borodin said:

Yeah, this is what I eventually did, after failing the mission half a dozen times...I don't even want to think about how many full loops around that circuit that I did.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#8  Edited By natetodamax

Also, am I not supposed to kill him? I shot him with an arrow and I got a "Target Died" mission failure.

klingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By klingers

@N7: Running around in circles? Yeah, that happened to me a few times on my second attempt. The first time I did it I shot him. But Ubisoft seemed to take offence at me trying to do a reasonable thing and kill the bastard. Because, you know, I shouldn't try to kill the person who is attempting an assassination. Oh nooooo... Yeah, that mission pissed me off.

kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kgb0515

This was the worst sequence ever. It took me a while to figure out that I had to tackle him instead of trying to assassinate him. I played that one more times than I care to remember. My favorite sequence honestly had to be the opera house in the very beginning though. It came the closest to some of the temple missions from the past games as it could even though it was really short.

Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
    deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

Yeah, I made three or four full circuits before I caught him - at one point you come out at a T-intersection facing a church or something (it's a big brick building with a fenced in front lawn and lots of guards). Hickey goes right around it, but if you cut left behind it you can catch up with him. Terrible mission.

I thought the final chase with Lee was pretty bad too, since any stumble or shove from a guard will cause you to fail, and there're no checkpoints.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#12  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Voxel: You have to tackle him, get up close and press O or B depending on your console of choice.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By GunstarRed

It is the first time I have ever called a character in a video game the c word.

Hate that chase.

borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By borodin

@N7: I'm too ashamed to admit how many laps I did... it wasn't even like I was getting closer lol. What's even more annoying is I thought I'd out-smarted it and tried to use the rope dart on him, but guess what? No effect!

MstrMnyBgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By MstrMnyBgs

There is a worse chase scene near the end of the game.

johnaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By johnaze

@MstrMnyBgs: Yeah! That chase scene is really bad!

Actually, chase scenes in ACIII in general are just horrible...

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Sterling
    No Caption Provided

This is what I think of that chase!

Yes, that is my actual copy of the game. Yes that chase did turn me into a child monster. And yes I did in fact, actually and literally, destroy ACIII because of that chase.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By MildMolasses

Wow, I don't remember having any troubles with this at all, but this isn't the first time I've seen complaints about it. I should go replay it to try and get a better understanding of the frustration from this section. I actually found the chase near the end of the game through the ship to be really frustrating because of how many soldiers get in your way

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#19  Edited By PhatSeeJay

If Hickey pissed you off; Lee will send you into a murderous rage.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By david3cm

Haha, if you think THAT chase is bad, I am very excited to see the reaction for the one later in the game. Perfect example (for me at least) of somewhat enjoying a game and completely turning on it because of a poorly designed level near the end. But yeah, AC3, not a very good game.

EDIT: After watching that mission on youtube it is apparent that during my playthrough the Hickey was not suppose to stand still in the middle of the street after that carriage pulls out 20 seconds into the chase, but boy am I glad he did.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By laserbolts

Yeah I'd say it's one of the worst parts of the game.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By AssInAss

@oulzac said:

No Caption Provided

Yes, that is my actual copy of the game. Yes that chase did turn me into a child monster. And yes I did in fact, actually and literally, destroy ACIII because of that chase.

Game must be really bad when rational thinking goes out the window. Or were you thinking about the consequences and thought "nah I'm never playing this game again so fuck it"?

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Sterling

@AssInAss: I had already had a few bad moments due to some bugs/glitches. So after trying that chase about 30 times I knew I would never play the game again. But I also didn't really think about it while doing it. I was just so angry and needed to take it out on something. So in place of throwing my controller into the TV, I ejected the game from the PS3 and proceeded to be a little kid for about 2 minutes. And I have to say, it was very therapeutic. I felt great afterwords. Although the next day I did regret it for a little while, thinking I could have sold it. But then that went away when I came to the realization that I was saving another poor soul the anguish. So all in all, no regrets.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whoever designed Sequence 8 should be dragged out in the street and beat to death.

I too did the reasonable thing and shot him. Then I ended up alternating between doing laps or failing due to random idiocy. That entire sequence was bullshit. The mobile surveillance of the two guys before Hickey was pretty broken as well. The entire scripting of your foray to the city seemed hapahazard and buggy. Then again, so does a lot about that game. Strangely enough I didn't have any trouble keeping up with Lee :/

QKT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By QKT

@PhatSeeJay said:

yup, scared my housemate by the amount of rage that consumed me.

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FirePrince

@PhatSeeJay said:

I was imagining myself as I was driving a screwdriver through the throat of the man that said:

"No checkpoints. Confusing level design. Instant loss if you fuck up once."

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Red12b

@PhatSeeJay said:

@GenghisJohn said:

Fuck you Ubisoft.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Red12b

@AssInAss said:

@oulzac said:

No Caption Provided

Game must be really bad when rational thinking goes out the window. Or were you thinking about the consequences and thought "nah I'm never playing this game again so fuck it"?

you haven't played it so shut up........

That lee chase,

fuck
    off
    with
    all
    that
    hot
    bullshit

yeah yeah stealing a bombcast line whatevs, it's appropriate

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By evanbower

@oulzac said:

No Caption Provided

But then took a picture of it. Because rage isn't worth having unless you can talk about it on the internet.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Red12b

@evanbower said:

@oulzac said:

No Caption Provided

But then took a picture of it. Because rage isn't worth having unless you can talk about it on the internet.

obviously

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Red12b

that fucking lee chase, goddamn, I woulda put up with the games flaws, I would have, up to the end even it's shithouse ending

but that one fucking mission, all goodwill, gone, it was a miserable failure of scripting and level design, and I wasn't even allowed to stick him, done in a fucking cutscene

Give me my respite, give me my fucking catharsis

cclemon36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By cclemon36

I went two full laps with Hickey and caught him on the third when he stumbled on some colonial bums. As I realised we were just going round and round, I felt like a fool, and that the developers put that in as a practical joke on us.

Also that chase with Lee just completely took me out of the experience to the point that I was just doing a thing in a game, devoid of any immersion.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Capum15

Guess I got lucky. First time I accidentally ran into someone so I reloaded, and the second time he got caught up on a group of people and I actually passed him. Let him get just a little ahead of me and tacked him.

InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By InternetCrab

Am I the only one that completed that chase on the second try?

I didn't find it challenging, one of Washington's bodyguards were killed, but that was a short moment before I stuck my tomahawk up his ass.

EDIT: The Lee Chase took me about 10 tries, but wasn't too frustrating. But yeah, Sequence 8 sucked anyway, even though I didn't find it hard.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

All the chase missions are bad. Heck, almost every mission is bad and the one that are not straight up bad are mediocre.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Dallas_Raines

The Hickey one was way worse than the Lee one. Hickey took me numerous tries, while I completed Lee's in three. Also, fuck those perfect syncs. How on Earth are you supposed to go through those chases without touching someone?

Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck you all for reminding me about the last chase. I swear those fucking soldiers had extendable arms.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By murisan

@oulzac: That's kind of amazing.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By murisan

Also, all of this BULLSHIT in AC3 makes me incredibly worried for Watch Dogs.

McHampton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By McHampton

I thought this was the first good chase in the entire series. You had to take alternate routes and actually put effort into catching him, instead of following him to the designated "GOTCHA" point at the end of the ride. All the while your target stops and waits for you if you make any mistakes.

The Assassin tomb chases on AC2 and the Romulus chases in Brotherhood were simple, effortless and boring.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Lord_Xp

Take this chase and then multiply it by a thousand times worse for the final chase scene in the game. I ripped my shirt in half. I've never been able to do that. I ended up laughing and beating it finally right after that though.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I had some trouble with the Charles Lee chase at the end (trouble getting the double assassinations to work consistently at the beginning, a little confusion about where to go in the burning ship), but Hickey was a million times more frustrating for me.

The Hickey chase just seems like nobody put any thought into the design of it. You can literally chase him around that loop forever without getting anywhere near him, but it's pretty likely that you'll make a mistake and accidentally run up a wall or something and lose him before you make too many laps. Your only hope is that either his AI or the crowd AI mess up and slow him down, or that you figure out you can break the game by not sticking to the path.

Even when you do catch up to him, you can still mess it up by killing him rather than tackling him. I found the tackling a bit finicky as well, seemingly not working sometimes even when it looks like you're lined up directly behind the guy.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By JZ

Uuhh turn left genius

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@JZ said:

Uuhh turn left genius

You say that like it's the obvious thing to do, but I'd personally say (and most people that posted in this thread seem to agree) that it wasn't at all evident.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By JZ

Well I saw the guards lineing up and choose to turn left, instead of running into them. Much like chooseing not to run into a brick wall over and and over again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e9473c7960
    deactivated-5d9e9473c7960

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure the mission is easy once you know to cut him off but before that I thought it was impossible. The whole game has been frustrating and since this is considered a stealth game, the AC series has the absolute worst stealth in history. I bought the PSN version and am greatly regretting the purchase. That last couple of months for me have been bad purchase-wise. I have a bunch of Wii U shit reserved and am considering canceling it.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@JZ: Those guards don't always line up like that, and even when they do, it's still possible to get through and not fall far enough behind to fail.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By JZ

Alright then I apologize, but that mission lasted all of 15 seconds for me.

kmg90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#49  Edited By kmg90

While I'm relieved its not just me that's run into a brick wall (pun-wtfever) on this "chase" sequence.....

I don't believe that this game was play tested past the point of if it doesn't lock up the game, the optional objective is the shit on top of shitcake....

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Time_Lord

if you use the poison dart it slows him down then you can tackle him easy

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.