Desmond looks ridiculous

• 78 results
#51 Posted by Zippedbinders (997 posts) -

@N7 said:

@Mikemcn said:

Hoods have been worn throughout history, it's the white outfit that sticks out, not the hood.

You've been able to color your outfit since AC2. Let's hope that this type of thing will actually matter now. Maybe even allow you to colorize certain parts yourself, instead of having to go with premade color patterns.

If they just make it work like Snake Eater, I'll be excited.

#52 Posted by BigChickenDinner (766 posts) -

God these games just sound more and more idiotic the more I read about them. I barely played the first AC because of that stupid animus BS. DNA holds memory!? Are they fucking high? It doesn't even make sense. I mean, if you understand how DNA works, technically He would have a tiny portion of the memory of each ancestor, progressively becoming larger as he got closer to his mother and father. God I hate stupid shit like that. My brain hurts trying to make it work. If your going to have fake ass sci-fi at least make the basis more believable than this shit.

#53 Posted by s10129107 (1183 posts) -

I thought the Knights Templar were of the Catholic church. Neither the English, the colonists or the Natives were Catholic. Maybe i'm missing something...

#54 Posted by Doctorchimp (4076 posts) -

To be honest I thought he kind of stuck out in Assassin's Creed II.

Other than the hood part it just looks like a colonial era jacket outfit.

#55 Posted by Etnos (245 posts) -

It looks off beat I agree.

#56 Posted by Djratchet (669 posts) -

@BigChickenDinner said:

God these games just sound more and more idiotic the more I read about them. I barely played the first AC because of that stupid animus BS. DNA holds memory!? Are they fucking high? It doesn't even make sense. I mean, if you understand how DNA works, technically He would have a tiny portion of the memory of each ancestor, progressively becoming larger as he got closer to his mother and father. God I hate stupid shit like that. My brain hurts trying to make it work. If your going to have fake ass sci-fi at least make the basis more believable than this shit.

Because video games have to make sense.

#57 Posted by BigChickenDinner (766 posts) -

@Djratchet said:

@BigChickenDinner said:

Because video games have to make sense.

More like Because video games that make sense are more fun to play.

#58 Posted by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -

Yes, yes, it is just a video game. Still, American players are more familiar with the American Revolution setting and past dress and fashion, so it is inevitable to feel a little put off by that obviously anachronistic manner of dress. Plus that jacket he is wearing makes him look like he's got a hoodie underneath a blazer, a la Alan Wake.

#59 Posted by david3cm (635 posts) -

yeah, what the hell, he should oviouslly look like this right?

#60 Posted by Superfriend (1556 posts) -

You´re a complete fool. You don´t even know if he wears that outfit all the time. There´s about 5 screenshots and some art that has been released so far, and yet you jump to conclusions like a goddamn lunatic.

Well, maybe blending into the environment is a big part of the game, just like blending into crowds of people was in AC1 and 2.. maybe a white suit will help you hide out in the snowy fields surrounding Boston?! I just love how big games get so much negativity when even the slightest little bit of info is released. Can´t wait for the Black Ops 2 reveal, I bet there will be a lot of "disappointed" people criticizing how "unrealistic" this whole conspiracy scenario thing is.

#61 Posted by Ghostiet (5281 posts) -

I want to see Wolverine's response to this thread.

#62 Posted by ajamafalous (12001 posts) -
@Sooty said:
I hate Desmond, he is the weakest part of the entire series.
Me too, which is why I'm really glad this entry isn't Desmond being a future assassin like a bunch of other people seem to want.
#63 Posted by FLStyle (4707 posts) -

I can look past the hoods during the game(/s), I always find it looks strange pre-release though in the screen-shots and trailers.

#64 Posted by xyzygy (9996 posts) -

Native Americans wear feathers and headresses and animal skins. To a people who are new to this type of dress, how are they to know that it isn't just a ceremonial robe? When it comes to being cultured, colonial Americans weren't the best.

#65 Posted by StrawHatLaw13 (166 posts) -

If you can dye your outfit hopefully dying it red or blue lets you blend in with the appropriate faction but stick out with the opposing one.

I admit I also initially wondered how he would blend in when I saw that one screenshot where he was in a colonial town and he still looked like a radical Altair. In part one you can say he was a monk, and in part two his outfit blended somewhat and was more subtle compared to others with the whole colorful renaissance carnival setting (some of the other peoples outfits in that game stood out more.) In this one he has that third party frontiersman going for him I suppose.

The outfit looks best when he's out in the wild that's for sure. We'll just have to wait and see.

#66 Posted by shulinchung (180 posts) -

I am also not a fan of Conor's costume in Assassin's Creed III. I think this would be more fitting to the American theme, and the assassin would have the benefit of blending into the environment more easily :D

#67 Posted by Irvandus (2879 posts) -

@stinky said:

kinda agree, but i can say "video gamez" and move on.

#68 Posted by von_wemberg (165 posts) -

I'm kinda sick of the whole costume actually. It's been a long time, so many games and they still haven't had a new design. Perhaps for the next proper game?

#69 Posted by beckley205 (310 posts) -

Ezio's and now Conner's main outfits work fine its just the Eagle Beak hood that makes them look odd.

#70 Posted by jmood88 (394 posts) -

@Winternet said:

Yeah, because that's the part that doesn't make sense about it.

Thanks for making me laugh today.

#71 Edited by Three0neFive (2293 posts) -

I've been saying this since Assassin's Creed 2. The whole white hooded robe thing made sense in the first game since you were trying to blend in with monks who wore similar outfits, but in any other time/place it's completely retarded - especially since newer iterations are covered in so many belts, zippers and counter-intuitive decorations that even Nomura would be like "woah, what the fuck guys."

#72 Posted by Scrawnto (2450 posts) -

@Gamer_152 said:

@The_Nubster: I thought about that as well, but surely if this game is taking on a colonial American theme you're not going to spend the majority of your time in snowy areas. And it disguises the fact that he's a native American but there are about a million other outfits that would do the same job.

Wait, I'm confused. Why wouldn't there be snowy areas in colonial America? You do know that New England gets pretty darn snowy in the winter, right?

#73 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1545 posts) -

I'm actually kind of curious how Desmond actually looks in ACIII, since they retconned his look in Revelations by changing his face a bit and removing his scar.

#74 Posted by mazik765 (2315 posts) -

@BigChickenDinner said:

If you want to get into it, you could make way more damning accusations as to the unrealistic nature of just about any combat game, based on the high amounts of damage the human body is able to take, and how quickly it heals. More ridiculous then relying on a far-fetched concept of how DNA might work with advanced technology, in my opinion.

#75 Posted by Gamer_152 (14078 posts) -

@Scrawnto said:

@Gamer_152 said:

@The_Nubster: I thought about that as well, but surely if this game is taking on a colonial American theme you're not going to spend the majority of your time in snowy areas. And it disguises the fact that he's a native American but there are about a million other outfits that would do the same job.

Wait, I'm confused. Why wouldn't there be snowy areas in colonial America? You do know that New England gets pretty darn snowy in the winter, right?

There could totally be snowy areas but if you were to spend a whole ton of time in those snowy areas it would rather break from what's seen as the typical colonial American aesthetic.

#76 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@GuyIncognito: I would play the shit out of an Assassin's Creed game that included wearing a headdress.

#77 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -

@Dany said:

Altiar was the only good design in the games. He blended more so than Ezio ever did.

He also wore swords, butcher knives, throwing knives, etc. and somehow blended in with pious men so...........

#78 Posted by MCXCI (140 posts) -

I think the fact that Connor is both Native and Irish-born cast him as enough as misfit in the scope of the setting that his Assassin getup is believable.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.