Do I need to play Brotherhood first?

#1 Posted by astrodoggy (145 posts) -

Recent news on ACIII has me very excited.

My question: I loved the ending to ACII, it got very meta, and am excited to see where that thread goes. Do I need to play Brotherhood?? Will I be missing anything major?

Please and thank you.

#2 Edited by benspyda (2042 posts) -

Brotherhood was amazing. Whether you play it for the story or not you should play Brotherhood. I can't remember the events of it, all assassins creed games have blended into one in my head.

Although I have a similar question about Revelations myself.

#3 Posted by project343 (2835 posts) -

@astrodoggy: I'd say yes. If we're considering the overall Desmond story to be important, yes, there are some rather shocking developments (particularly toward the end) that make Brotherhood a must-play game.

@benspyda: Revelations offers a little less in the way of 'revelations,' but there are also some critical developments toward the end of game that establish what Desmond's ultimate "real world" goal is.

#4 Posted by Zacagawea (1609 posts) -

Yeah, you should probably play Brotherhood.

You can definitely skip Revelations, though.

#5 Posted by skadave (200 posts) -

I enjoyed brotherhood quite a bit. . . i still have revelations in the packaging (I got it during the holidays with skyrim, rayman origins, and uncharted 3. . . out of those games i have only played skyrim and rayman).

#6 Posted by wjb (1688 posts) -

There is pertinent information (for instance, the ending) in Brotherhood, so yes, play it. It's also a good game. Revelations, on the other hand, you can skip. It's a decent game, but doesn't advance the overall story much.

#7 Posted by project343 (2835 posts) -

@will_leisure: Well, except for that whole ending sequence wherein Desmond is told what he must do. But you know, you could always watch the ending online or something, right?

#8 Posted by astrodoggy (145 posts) -

This is good to know. I think I started brotherhood too quickly after finishing 2.

I hope there is more Desmond content in ACIII, this is the greatest strength of the series IMO.

#9 Posted by Red12b (9086 posts) -

play assbro

#10 Posted by udabenshen (178 posts) -

Brotherhood is just really, really fun. If you have any interest in Roman architecture you will love climbing on the Duomo and running around the Colosseum. Also, you can call in your bros to do some sick ass ish.

#11 Posted by wjb (1688 posts) -

@project343 said:

@will_leisure: Well, except for that whole ending sequence wherein Desmond is told what he must do. But you know, you could always watch the ending online or something, right?

Yeah, I forgot about that. I guess I was more referring to the "worth investing 15-20 hours" to "actual revelations" ratio. Like you said, anyone can Youtube the ending. The only reason I played Revelations was because there was nothing else at the time (January), and I have a habit of playing anything decent to the end, but most people aren't like that.

There's still cool things in Revelations, but it really just felt like a stopgap.

#12 Posted by EODTech (83 posts) -

Revelations is probably the weakest game of the series but it's still better than 90% of crap out there like sports or racing games. I think you owe it to yourself to consume all the canon of the series to prepare yourself to fully enjoy AC 3, but if you're one of those people who doesn't care much about the story, I guess it's not crucial. Although to me that's like seeing the third Batman movie without seeing the second one. To each his own, I guess.

#13 Posted by NTM (7517 posts) -

Wait... so you've played Revelations but not Brotherhood? Or you're asking if you should just play Brotherhood but disregarding Revelations? Either way, I don't understand why.

#14 Posted by IBurningStar (2190 posts) -

There is some stuff that goes down in Brotherhood that you are going to want to know about before starting III. No joke, they are BIG plot turns.

#15 Posted by kickinthehead (71 posts) -

YES, play it! Brotherhood had a terrible ad campaign because people came out of it thinking that it wasn't a proper sequel. It's definitely a proper sequel and ESSENTIAL to the main storyline.

Then Revelations came out and people started flipping thinking "Oh man THIS is gonna be the REAL sequel." But Revelations ended up being the forgettable game that people thought Brotherhood was going to be.

PLAY IT.

#16 Posted by EODTech (83 posts) -

Maybe I wasn't clear earlier. As a fan of the whole series but also someone with a real job and access to vagina--therefore limited free time--I think you should play them all. Even Revelations, the weakest of the series so far, is great.

Sure, you can catch up on the canon on a wiki or youtube or something...but then why play any of the games at all?

#17 Posted by astrodoggy (145 posts) -

@EODTech: this is true... i may not play revelations, but i will not be going to youtube for answers

#18 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@Zacagawea said:

Yeah, you should probably play Brotherhood.

You can definitely skip Revelations, though.

#19 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@project343 said:

Thanks

#20 Posted by iAmJohn (6131 posts) -

You should really play Brotherhood.

#21 Posted by Winternet (8035 posts) -

No, not really. But, you should, because it's a hell of a game.

#22 Posted by DrMcKittrick (231 posts) -

You should play them both. Revelations takes place after the cliffhanger of Brotherhood so I don't know why everybody is telling you to skip it.

#23 Posted by Shun_Akiyama (490 posts) -

you should because it's but AC3 is practically a reboot.

#24 Posted by bartok (2574 posts) -

Brotherhood is my favorite in the series plus it has some major story elements.

#25 Posted by oobs (340 posts) -

Brotherhood is a great game. not just for the story but for the side stuff also.. give revelations a miss though. a waste of me spending money on that game for me anyway

#26 Posted by astrodoggy (145 posts) -

update: been playing brotherhood.. and can admit when I'm wrong. This is a great game. Really like the Assassin's/Contracts/RPG lite stuff. Plus, I added drinking beer to the equation. Good advice people, good advice.

#27 Posted by npa189 (32 posts) -

I plan on playing throught 2, BH, and pickup rev before 3 drops. I can't believe how excited I actually am for 3, it looks amazing.

#28 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

Brotherhood is decent, wouldn't play revelations immediately after it unless you don't get burnt out by playing almost identical games back to back.

#29 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6401 posts) -

@EODTech said:

but also someone with a real job and access to vagina--therefore limited free time-

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.