Examples of buildings you might climb

#1 Edited by Bobby_The_Great (1011 posts) -

EDIT: Looks like I was partially wrong, looks like there will be a lot of nature and tree scaling along with hunting in the snow for this one with some colonial buildings. Color me excited:  http://imgur.com/a/3NNkQ 

So, I figured that most people are bitching about "what buildings am I going to be able to climb?" in AC III. Well, apparently people only think that American buildings were just two story buildings made of wood, I suppose.

Anyway, here is a list of some buildings they "could" use in AC III for some high-scaling, parkour action.  I'm sure they will escalate the scale, and possibly not just use buildings, but the buildings are no taller/shorter than anything in Jerusalem in the 10th century or Renaissance Italy.  

Independence Hall, PA 

State House Boston 

Virginia Capitol Building 

#2 Edited by BigChickenDinner (766 posts) -

And that's about the entire list.....

EDIT: Ya I just thought, There were a lot of trees back then......

#3 Posted by Bobby_The_Great (1011 posts) -
@BigChickenDinner: There's a lot more in Rhode Island, Boston and such, I just didn't have the time to continue posting pictures. 
#4 Posted by Jimbo (9935 posts) -

State House Boston and Virginia Capitol were built after the war according to wiki. Independence Hall is about the size of a village church...

#5 Posted by Jimbo (9935 posts) -

Actual tallest structures in North America at the time: 

#6 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

It's pretty clear that Ubisoft are done with the building climbing. I can already imagine massive canyons, rocky mountain sides, thick tree lines and all kinds of natural structures that we'll be climbing. 

This has potential to be my dream video game if what I'm expecting is true. The only thing keeping me from losing my shit is whether the gameplay will be the same crap or something new.

#7 Posted by Demoskinos (15103 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: Big reveal is that AC3 is actually a dating sim.

#8 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

YO DESMEND CLIMB DAT BIG ASS TREE!. 

#9 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@Demoskinos said:

@AhmadMetallic: Big reveal is that AC3 is actually a dating sim.

wheredoIpreorder?
#10 Posted by AlexW00d (6388 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

It's pretty clear that Ubisoft are done with the building climbing. I can already imagine massive canyons, rocky mountain sides, thick tree lines and all kinds of natural structures that we'll be climbing. This has potential to be my dream video game if what I'm expecting is true. The only thing keeping me from losing my shit is whether the gameplay will be the same crap or something new.

I'm pretty sure that part of the US wasn't inhabited by the British or the rebels during the 18th century.

And

@Jimbo said:

#11 Posted by believer258 (12100 posts) -

Yes. A few buildings that tall in every city. And none are next to each other. From what I've seen of the other games, there were many tall buildings and they were all right next to each other so you could jump from rooftop to rooftop.

#12 Posted by Castiel (2704 posts) -

Fuck that Imma climb a motherfuckin' tree and soul stab you from above BITCH!

#13 Posted by Demoskinos (15103 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: Well, see that depends. Amazon.com if you want the pre-order bonus costume but then Gamestop has the preorder special missions. Oh, and best buy well they have extra multiplayer skins. So of course depends on what one of the 500 different pre-order bonuses you want.

#14 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -
#15 Posted by TooWalrus (13255 posts) -

I wouldn't be... ow, typing hurts my arms, this is weird. Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up in London at some point- they always include multiple cities- why not?

#16 Posted by Shun_Akiyama (490 posts) -

Yeah but they are not around anything.

#17 Posted by Strife777 (1610 posts) -

It would actually be really cool if there was forests and you now had the ability to climb trees. Not very stealthy to jump around in tree branches and leaves, but still.

#18 Posted by Subjugation (4733 posts) -

Spoiler: Your character's name will be Tommy and you will be abducted by aliens shortly after the beginning of the game. Oh, and spirit bow.

#19 Posted by jillsandwich (762 posts) -

AC2 was a bunch of pretty small environments that you could travel to via horses and things. They could do that same sort of thing with this game, and make it work.

#20 Edited by Bobby_The_Great (1011 posts) -

I kind of like the idea of climbing nature. That'd be a delight.

@Jimbo said:

I'll be honest, this made me laugh pretty hard. 
#21 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

What about this?

#22 Posted by Jimbo (9935 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: Haha, nice.
#23 Edited by Bwast (1342 posts) -

Due to the unprecedented success of Katawa Shoujo, you'll be climbing underage disabled girls as you try to seduce them and plunge your... wrist blades into their petite, quivering figures.

Edit: Look, it's a stretch, I know. But you just can't let that game be the soul game people can flock to for disabled babes. Someones gotta take a stab at it. If you know what I mean.

#24 Edited by tariqari (431 posts) -

It probably won't be so much buildings that we will be climbing more than the natural environment we will be interacting with. There will probably be much to do with boats (Atlantic Ocean, rivers, streams), climbing trees for good vantages with a bow and arrow, trenches, mountain/cliffs. There is actually much potential to take Assassin's Creed to a more dynamic level than just have it be simply about climbing buildings...

#25 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@Jimbo

Bahahahahahaha
#26 Posted by Benny (1955 posts) -

It's not a dense enough environment

#27 Edited by gla55jAw (2693 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Wow, I have not heard this in a long time!

#28 Posted by rjayb89 (7728 posts) -

I shall climb atop the white womans with my Indian man.

#29 Posted by BormahAl (68 posts) -

@tariqari said:

It probably won't be so much buildings that we will be climbing more than the natural environment we will be interacting with. There will probably be much to do with boats (Atlantic Ocean, rivers, streams), climbing trees for good vantages with a bow and arrow, trenches, mountain/cliffs. There is actually much potential to take Assassin's Creed to a more dynamic level than just have it be simply about climbing buildings...

This seems like the best thing to do. It will be refreshing from the buildings of the Middle East and Italy.

#30 Posted by Helimocopter (369 posts) -

I wonder if they might try to make it more straight up stealthiness and subtlety, because the acrobatics seem like it might suffer due to the environment.

#31 Posted by ajamafalous (12128 posts) -
@Jimbo said:

I lol'd significantly.
#32 Posted by Dalai (7057 posts) -

You know, it's a video game. They're going to find a way.

#33 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

Our new Brave Assassin will have to build his own log cabin and drink moonshine, possibly also Laudanum.  He will smoke the peace pipe.  

#34 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

There will probably be crazy Illuminati structures underground.

#35 Posted by Mikemcn (7008 posts) -

Most buildings in the previous games weren't over 3 stories tall, the real issue is that colonial era cities were not dense urban environments you could traverse rooftop to rooftop in, they were farming villages whose gaps were slowly being filled in with more modern European urban architcture.

#36 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

What if they used some sort of tree hiding/climbing mechanic to assassinate people but once they get into that territory it might be difficult to set up artificial boundaries in the game world...  Fuck I dont know

#37 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

I imagine they will put more emphasis on natural terrain perhaps, as some others have mentioned.

#38 Posted by Jammy411 (67 posts) -

there might not be that much traversal or climbing at all. DIFFERENT EMPHASIS. it is a big phat new assassins creed after all.

#39 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5152 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

This might actually be really awesome.

#40 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
Our new Brave Assassin will have to build his own log cabin and drink moonshine, possibly also Laudanum.  He will smoke the peace pipe.  
goty
#41 Posted by Drebin_893 (2926 posts) -

@rjayb89 said:

I shall climb atop the white womans with my Indian man.

#42 Posted by RedRoach (1206 posts) -

If you think about taking AC 2, BH, or Rev and just changing the time period to that, it wouldn't work. Ubisoft is obviously going to have to change up the mechanics of the game to make it work. Urban climbing is most likely going to be a less important part of the game. Looking at the screenshots they released, it looks like they're also working on a more traditional "in the shadows" stealth mechanic. I've noticed specifically, the main guy has no sword, at all. Who knows how they have to update the gameplay to make it work in this time. Thats what has me so excited. If this is going to work, they have to do a major overhaul of the gameplay.

#43 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -

I was always way more interested in the crowd dynamics they focused on in the first game than then climbing/travel stuff (watching the character move through crowds always impressed me). Kind of bummed how downplayed and mechanic-y it got, I thought it had a lot of potential.

#44 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

The buildings were only there for aesthetics anyway. Small building, large building, they're all the same difficulty to climb.

R1 + X + Up.

#45 Posted by Nasar7 (2766 posts) -

I haven't played an AC game since 2 but if they make AC III: Buffalo Eater I'll be fully back on board.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.