Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed III

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Oct 30, 2012

The fifth console entry in the Assassin's Creed franchise. It introduces the half-Native American, half-English Assassin Connor and is set in North America in the late eighteenth century amid the American Revolutionary War.

Game Informer Details

• 58 results
    therealminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 36

#1  Edited By therealminime

From NeoGaf, just highlight the whited out areas to read spoilers:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465195

Want it to be a jumping on point for new players without losing touch with what longtime fans cherish most.

-New hero called Connor/Ratohnhake:ton (pronounced Ra-doon-ha-gay-doo). He has an English father and Native American mother.

-More details about the protagonist/scenarios: You will experience Conner's childhood on the American frontier as he is raised by the Mohawk. The Mohawk eventually clash with white colonists who burn their village down, causing Connor to dedicate his life to confront tyranny and injustice.

-A new traversal approach that has players leaping and climbing trees and mountain cliffs.

-Uses a new version of the Anvil engine that can "depict thousands of troops engaged in bloody battle" along with highly detailed face close-ups. They later imply that if they used version numbers, they would be like going from Anvil 1.0 -> Anvil 2.0 or something of that nature.

-Judging by the images, the faces really are quite good.

-Combat is focused on putting you on the offensive and based on speed/momentum.

-The main character has thousands of new and unique animations (no carry over from other titles) to support the new combat system.

-Character details:

-George Washington: Interacting with Washington is one of the core relationships of the game.

-Benjamin Franklin: He's not a convenient inventor a la Da Vinci.

-Charles Lee: His role is a mystery.

-The game is set between the years 1753-1783 and is centered around the cities of Boston and New York.

-"It's not just going to a historical building now; it's going to a historical event."

-Event examples: "You will see the great fire of New York. You will visit Valley Forge as a location that is currently occupied by Washington's forces. You will visit these places in the moment that they were important, and hopefully, experience the reason why we know where they are today. That's the goal."

-Connor is in the heart of major battles, and they can now have a couple thousand guys on screen, whereas before it was capped at about 100.

-The overall story is still centered around the Assassins versus the Templars and Connor's journey.

-Not all the Colonists will be cast as good people, and not all the British will be cast as evil oppressors. They're trying to focus on how both the Assassins and Templars viewpoints exist in a gray morality as the Templars really believe they're saving the world.

-The French and Native Americans will also feature in the game, as was probably really obvious.

-The modern day stuff relates to that location in New York at the end of Revelations.

-There will be all sorts of wilderness in the game referred to as the Frontier.

-The map of the Frontier is 1.5 times bigger than the entire map of Brotherhood.

-The Frontier is not empty like in Assassin's Creed 1, but features a third of the game's missions and gameplay content.

-You can hunt animals for resources, and how you kill them effects your reward. A one hit kill on a bear gets you a much more valuable pelt than stabbing it eight times.

-The wilderness traversal plays a big part in the gameplay in the Frontier, allowing you to use trees, cliffs, ledges, and more to set up kills and combat.

-Connor does have a hidden blade.

-The world changes as time passes, so a field where a battle happened in one year may just be a series of empty encampments a few months later.

-The entire world will change with seasons, so the cities and the wilderness will all exist in both Summer and Winter settings.

-In the winter, soldiers will move slowly and stumble about in the snow, and lakes and rivers will freeze over allowing you to go new places. This gives Connor an extra advantage since he can still use the trees and wilderness pretty effectively during this time of year.

-There are all sorts of clubs and groups who want you to join and give you quests. These are separate from the mission system. These clubs will contact you based on what you do in the game. For example, hunting a lot will get you an invitation to the hunting society.

-There will be a goods based economy, a new property system, and more Desmond stuff.

-There's going to be some new puzzle thing like the first person Tetris.

-There's a new Animus database known as Animus 3.0.

-They're not unveiling anything about the multiplayer yet.

-There will be more platforming levels.

-Full synchronization returns, but with major tweaks. Missions have checkpoints, You also get significant rewards for doing these tasks instead of a 100%. "Imagine a leveling system in an RPG, except there's a finite amount of XP to find. The more in-sync you get, the more you fill your sync bar. Within each mission, each activity you complete has a value". You can replay everything to increase your score.

-They imply there is something resembling the Brotherhood system of picking up fellow assassins.

-Aligned groups are gone, but something new is replacing them in regards to factions. They don't say what.

-There's a new notoriety system that is more hidden and doesn't penalize you for exploring risky areas.

-The game has fast travel because the game has more traveling.

-Don't expect more tower defense.

-You can upgrade Connor's gear and costume as the game goes on in an attempt to make it feel more authentic.

-The cities have a lot more subtle detail now in terms of ambient things that happen.

-You can now leap over wagons or slide under obstacles, including navigating over and around moving objects. The free running stuff also has you jumping through windows to trees and then on top of church roofs. Basically, expect the free running stuff, but more fluid and presumably generally closer to the ground.

-Connor enters battle with two weapons. The game uses the same controls in and out of battle.

-The tomahawk and knife are a "constant presence" in battle. They also let you do double counters and multiple takedowns, and you can chain kills.

-There's no more target locking, it just automatically detects your target. Counter/defense are the same button to prevent turtling.

-You can use human shields and other context sensitive moves.

-They want you to constantly move in battle.

-There are lots of secondary attacks like the one shot pistol on the Y button.

-There's a new dynamic camera to track the action and make it look as cinematic as possible.

-There is a new sprinting system also, so you can hold the button to instantly turn around and start fleeing from combat. They also let you kill people while still moving so you can keep chasing a target. They kind of imply you can even leap off of them after you kill them, though I'm not sure if that makes you faster or just doesn't impede your movement.

-They really, really, really want you to constantly move. I mean like they say this every four sentences. Not just in battle, but in every section of the game.

-They also try to keep you more in control of the combat than ever before.

-Game Informer really loves their animation system.

-There are around 2.5 hours of character scenes in the game that are fully acted and recorded. They mean this in Naughty Dog style where they have the actors being mocaped while performing on a set that resembles the scene in the game.

-They're aiming for accuracy by having historical dialog consultants and actual Native American actors.

-This game has the longest development cycle since AC1, and has twice the production capacity (in terms of work hours) and budget of Revelations.

-They want the game to feel like AC3.5, and the game will have its first version complete in just a few more weeks, at which point they're going to spend the rest of their time refining it.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Animasta

fine Ubisoft I'm still not buying it but I am very glad they gave him an actual tribe rather than just "indian"

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Benny

They got rid of tower defense but not the first person tetris thing?...

Glad it's a new engine and animation system, they better conclude the story or they miss their december 2012 doomsday tie in.

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Shun_Akiyama

Connor? ok I like that.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By MooseyMcMan

This stuff sounds amazing. Hopefully they pull it off well.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bwast

I should get around to playing the last 2 AC games. They'll probably go on Steam sale for the summer thing.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Ghostiet

My body is ready.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I still can't get over the Revolutionary War setting. So awesome!

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Shun_Akiyama
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ltsmash

I don't actually buy that many games, but this is looking like something I have to pick up. It lines up with my interests in American history and tomahawks.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SlightConfuse

whoa a lot of that sounds awesome glad things are not as balck and white as people though.

also meeting washington could be cool

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Slaker117

Very interested in seeing how this all plays out. If they can pull it off, it sounds pretty amazing.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

Dude I just jizzed all over my pants..... EPIC!

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By s-a-n-JR

There is a ton of fantastic information there.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Oldirtybearon

NATIVE. PROTAGONIST. CONFIRMED.

That's it. That's all I needed. Fucking day one buy.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Strife777

I want this...now!

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RedRoach

Oh thank fucking god! I've played all the AC games a LOT. They've been using a lot of the same kill animations since the first game, sure they had a few new ones, but most of them are carry over. The fact that there isn't a single animation from a previous game has been so excited.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iamjohn

I, like everyone else, was very disappointed in Revelations and was going to be very cautious going into this one.

Having read this thread, I am now completely back on board. Holy shit.

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

Anybody else reminded of The Last of The Mohicans?

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Dany

Den Defense are gone.

This is already better than Revelations!

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

Everything about this sounds awesome. Good job Ubisoft. 

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By fjordson

Holy shit. This sounds incredible. The first three AC games were great, but I was kinda disappointed in Revelations.

Looks like Ubi will be able to make up for it with this. Really hope it's as good as it sounds.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thing has come out of nowhere and exploded.

Absolutely fucking dying to play it.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I skipped Revelations, but I think I'm back on board now. Some of this stuff sounds really cool.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By BaneFireLord

The Red Dead-sounding Frontier stuff has me very, very excited.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By N7

So, The Red Dead Assassin's Creed Matrix Brotherhood, BUT IN THE REVOLUTIONARY FUCKING WAR?

Announce John MCclane and I'm going to shit not just my pants, but everyone else' pants.

klimdeeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By klimdeeni

So there will be 2 games with america's early days influence in them this year... Bioshock and Assassins Creed.... plus that Lincoln vampire movie this summer..... I'm not really a patriotic person, but I just might be by the end of the year

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#29  Edited By TheMasterDS
    @iAmJohn said:

I, like everyone else, was very disappointed in Revelations and was going to be very cautious going into this one.

Having read this thread, I am now completely back on board. Holy shit.

Yep, that's what I'm thinking too. Sounds fantastic!
    jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jjnen

I'm sold. Everything that they're saying sounds like a spot on improvement. Hopely they're able to deliver.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By Gabriel

Connor's Father is George Washington

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Cloudenvy

Ooooooooooooh my goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood, fucking shit.

GIVE ME THIS GAME ALREADY.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33  Edited By Deranged

Ok... I'm massively excited.

SHADOWINFINITE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SHADOWINFINITE

Awesome sauce!

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Masha2932

Oh my God!!!! I'm so excited!! I really hope they wrap up the story well and that the game is nice and long.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It took three of these points to get me completely hyped.  I really want this game....

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#37  Edited By rjayb89

FUCK that puzzle shit is all I have to say.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jimbo

I'm torn. Being in pitched battles doesn't sound very assassiny at all and the series was already becoming a little too Rambo's Creed for my taste. On the other hand, I think pitched musket battles were totally badass. I do think the overhaul of the combat away from defend/counter was necessary. Hopefully it will require you to think about situations a little bit, rather than knowing you can just stand there and effortlessly take on an entire army, to the point where eventually THEY give up and run away. As long as their new Sync system encourages smart / assassiny play, then I guess it doesn't matter if the combat is still easy enough to let people hack n slash their way through the game if they really want to.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By leebmx

Keeps making me think of Red Dead Redemption.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40  Edited By Sackmanjones

Can I fight red coats with Mel Gibson? If I can I will buy 3 copies. No Mel… one copy. Your move Ubisoft

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Morrow

Sounds great! I'm getting seriously excited about it now! I still need to finish Brotherhood and Revelations tho ^^;

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Dylabaloo

I wonder how this is going to pan out, i'll stay vigilantly excited.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jacdg

So, if I didn't play the latest game in the series, and the final half of Bortherhood, will I have any idea what is going on?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By NTM

This sounds awesome. I hope when (or if) there's sneaking, it's far improved, more like what you see in Arkham City/Asylum and Splinter Cell: Conviction. I still have to play Revelations.

@CrimsonAvenger said:

Anybody else reminded of The Last of The Mohicans?

Yes.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jackel2072
    @JacDG said:

So, if I didn't play the latest game in the series, and the final half of Bortherhood, will I have any idea what is going on?

to be fare, i think people have beaten both games still have no clue whats going on. i finished brotherhood and skipped revelations.
    _Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By _Zombie_

That's it, I'm buying this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I can't believe how pumped I am for this.

deskp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By deskp

very excited for this game.

@JacDG: theyw ant it to be a jumping on point, so yes. theres an alright summary vid they released pre ACR aswell. you might want to look up some of the late cutscenes from ACR there is some mojo going on.

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jillsandwich

Confirmed: Connor is voiced by Daniel Day-Lewis.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

@jillsandwich: Source?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.