Hey GB Guys Can I have That Flag?

#1 Posted by algertman (852 posts) -

I'm dead serious. You guys clearly don't want it and think it's dumb shit so why not? All I got was a tin case for preordering the game.

#2 Posted by hwy_61 (922 posts) -

Lol

#3 Posted by algertman (852 posts) -

I will also take whatever statues you got hanging out in the corner.

#4 Edited by Snail (8594 posts) -

They've briefly talked about why they don't sell this sort of game-related merchandise they receive to fans. It was in reply to a user who had called in. It's not going to happen. The reason why they won't sell it also most likely applies to giving it out for free.

#5 Posted by Gnubberen (765 posts) -

Nice try.

-C for effort.

#6 Posted by algertman (852 posts) -

@Snail said:

They've briefly talked about why they don't sell this sort of game-related merchandise they receive to fans. It was in reply to a user who had called in. It's not going to happen. The reason why they won't sell it also most likely applies to giving it out for free.

Sell? I want them to send it to me for free.

HEY WAIT I GOT IT!

They can do drawings for the press stuff they receive since they clearly think its a waste of space. No real contest or anything. If you are paid member and have posted within the last week of the end date of the drawing you get in. They can announce winners on TNT.

#7 Posted by hwy_61 (922 posts) -

@Snail said:

He doesn't want to buy it though.

#8 Posted by Binman88 (3686 posts) -

@algertman said:

@Snail said:

HEY WAIT I GOT IT!

They can do drawings for the press stuff they receive since they clearly think its a waste of space. No real contest or anything. If you are paid member and have posted within the last week of the end date of the drawing you get in. They can announce winners on TNT.

That would still be giving publicity to the products by talking about them and "showing off" the stuff they're giving away. PR would probably love for GB to drum up excitement over marketing crap like this.

#9 Posted by Daiphyer (1333 posts) -

Hey Brad, I'll take that Resident Evil 6 off your hand, too. Thanks, bud!

#10 Posted by algertman (852 posts) -

@Binman88 said:

@algertman said:

@Snail said:

HEY WAIT I GOT IT!

That would still be giving publicity to the products by talking about them and "showing off" the stuff they're giving away. PR would probably love for GB to drum up excitement over marketing crap like this.

No it wouldn't. Majority of post on gaming sites are just press releases anyway. This could be fun and they could give out junk as well.

Those greasy empty pizza boxes from the MoH QL? Congrats Joe Bob from Idaho they are yours. They can even sign them.

#11 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

I think they've pretty much said in clear speech that they will never ever ever sell or give that stuff away unless it was originally intended for some contest.

#12 Posted by Binman88 (3686 posts) -

@algertman said:

@Binman88 said:

@algertman said:

@Snail said:

HEY WAIT I GOT IT!

No it wouldn't. Majority of post on gaming sites are just press releases anyway. This could be fun and they could give out junk as well.

Those greasy empty pizza boxes from the MoH QL? Congrats Joe Bob from Idaho they are yours. They can even sign them.

We'll agree to disagree I guess. PR would not believe their luck if GB started making their marketing tat a more prominent feature on the site.

#13 Posted by Snail (8594 posts) -

@algertman said:

@Binman88 said:

@algertman said:

@Snail said:

HEY WAIT I GOT IT!

I think the reason why they won't give it out is because there's a chance that the companies that send them all this merchandise might feel like they're basically giving stuff to Giant Bomb so that they can promote their own image by being cool and giving that stuff away to users. That might create some bitterness/awkwardness/whatever between the publishers who sent the stuff or the website. If they were to sell them and turn a profit on the stuff that was sent to them it would be even worst, as they would be basically taking advantage of the offerings sent by publishers.

I think this was their justification. It does make sense.

#14 Posted by Hunkulese (2698 posts) -

@Binman88 said:

@algertman said:

@Snail said:

HEY WAIT I GOT IT!

So? That would be a bad thing why exactly?

#15 Posted by algertman (852 posts) -

@Binman88 said:

@algertman said:

@Snail said:

HEY WAIT I GOT IT!

Free publicity like streaming Halo for 24 hours so close to Halo 4?

#16 Posted by Binman88 (3686 posts) -

@algertman said:

@Binman88 said:

@algertman said:

@Snail said:

HEY WAIT I GOT IT!

At that point you might as well get really smart and ask me why Giant Bomb exists at all, considering almost every piece of content they produce "promotes" a game in some way. But do you not see a difference between your example and the idea of Giant Bomb freely distributing promotional items to their trusting audience? Do you not see a conflict of interest in the latter? When the staff produce a video, or write an article or review, they do so at their own behest. They do so because it's content they want to talk about and believe their audience is interested in. To draw a comparison then - would you not see a problem with content like that being produced because they were instructed or paid to do so by a PR company, and not by their own choice?

#17 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

@Daiphyer said:

Hey Brad, I'll take that Resident Evil 6 off your hand, too. Thanks, bud!

I lol'd

#18 Posted by Snail (8594 posts) -

@algertman said:

@Binman88 said:

@algertman said:

@Snail said:

HEY WAIT I GOT IT!

Because streaming Halo will totally get people to buy Halo 4?

More than that: Halo wasn't a gift from a publisher, and they aren't even giving it out to users. They are showing a game to the people that come to this website, which is basically what they spend most of their time doing.

#19 Posted by CrazyBagMan (841 posts) -

@Snail said:

@algertman said:

@Binman88 said:

@algertman said:

@Snail said:

HEY WAIT I GOT IT!

More than that: Halo wasn't a gift from a publisher, and they aren't even giving it out to users. They are showing a game to the people that come to this website, which is basically what they spend most of their time doing.

Because giving away a flag will totally get people to buy Assassin's Creed 3?

#20 Edited by Snail (8594 posts) -

@CrazyBagMan said:

@Snail said:

@algertman said:

@Binman88 said:

Because giving away a flag will totally get people to buy Assassin's Creed 3?

You completely dismissed my second paragraph which is where I made my main point.

I'll still reply to your question, even though it doesn't matter a lot in the point I'm trying to make: holding a giveaway on the home page where people can sign up to receive AC3 merchandise is much more of a marketing stunt - both for the website doing the giveaway and for the game which the merchandise is related to - than streaming a 10 year old game that's already been established as a classic is.

#21 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

I want them to make a big bonfire of the swag and burn an effigy of OP in it ;P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.