Homestead and Missions

#1 Posted by mordecaix7 (657 posts) -

I've been looking online for a tutorial that explains how the homestead system works. The game explanation went way too fast and didn't make sense on what you do with it, what it's used for and such. Does any one know of a video or guide that explains how all of this works? I'm in the middle of sequence 7... do I have to play farther in?

#2 Posted by Bones8677 (3214 posts) -

I don't know about any guides out there. I decided to ignore the whole damn thing, the menu system is too cumbersome to deal with. It's just busywork, something to extend the game length for.

#3 Posted by Solidsnak (125 posts) -

the homestead missions unlock items that can be crafted to upgrade your gear and carrying capacities. also depending on what you make you can probably make a profit selling items

to stores. mostly it just seems to be there to explore new characters and their interactions with Connor. good to do if you want a break from the main campaign.

#4 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2141 posts) -

@Solidsnak said:

the homestead missions unlock items that can be crafted to upgrade your gear and carrying capacities. also depending on what you make you can probably make a profit selling items

to stores. mostly it just seems to be there to explore new characters and their interactions with Connor. good to do if you want a break from the main campaign.

Yeah, they're more enjoyable than whatever side stuff they had in the previous games.

#5 Edited by pyrodactyl (1893 posts) -

@mordecaix7:

1- completing homestead missions unlocks new artisans in your homestead and levels your current artisans. These mission unlock by completing story missions or by completing other homstead mission. They're probably the best thing about the homestead system. Nice and varied, they introduce pretty good character who interact with each other in interesting ways.

2-stockpile: you buy raw materials from your artisans. Higher artisans have more stuff to sell you.

3-crafting: you use your raw materials to craft items, weapons, other materials. Crafting recipes are found in chests, by collecting almanac pages and by other means. Each recipe require a certain artisan at a certain level.

4-trading: you can put raw materials or items on caravans to make money. Place the items you want to sell in the caravan( 1 item fits in each slot). Select a store(represented by a dude's face) you want to sell each item to. Each store has a different risk(chance to loose the item before the sale) and margin(% they take from the sale) so stores on riskier trade route will give you more money for your goods but you have a greater chace to loose the item. You get the money when the caravan comes back (time required indicated in real time).

#6 Posted by mordecaix7 (657 posts) -

Thanks guys, that helps out a lot.

#7 Posted by Lord_Xp (602 posts) -

I've also had trouble with this. Thankfully I bought the strategy guide for this game to help furth expain everything. Once I get it I'll post more info for everyone about it. The menu and tutorial for it are to confusing to figure out to me and I have no idea what is going on. But this topic did help me understand what it does in general.

#8 Posted by Vinny_Says (5691 posts) -

Hey I got a couple of questions that aren't worth starting a new thread for:

1. Where is Ben Franklin? I have a completed almanac (4/4 pages) and I'm not sure what to do with it. What is a Franklin Stove and how do I put it in my home?
  2. How do I recruit Assassins? Where can I find Stephane Chapeau and turn him into a full assassin like the game is telling me to do. I can use him to attack enemies but that's about it.

Any help is appreciated.

#9 Posted by Genkkaku (734 posts) -

@Vinny_Says:

1) I'm pretty sure getting all 4 Almanac pages just unlocks the invention straight up in your Logbook at the Homestead (or stores)

2) The game kept telling me that, but you get him automatically as the next main mission anyways, and you do the side-quests in the towns to take over those ares to get access to the assassin unlock quest

#10 Posted by Dietomaha (107 posts) -

The homestead stuff is pretty cool, but I was pretty damn confused by the crafting/trading system as well. I think it's just a lack of explanation. For instance when trading stuff, is there a way to tell if you need all of the crap you've collected? Also, when you put it into a trade caravan does it only sell 1 of that item? Do you have to have recipes to craft stuff?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.