Is this game going to actually finish the story, or is AC3-2 next

• 68 results
#1 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

I have to say, I am not interested in waiting another year or two to play the follow up to Assassin's Creed III. I will be hugely disappointed and likely done with this series if the third doesn't tie up the storyline that started in the first.

I've been trying to find some information as to whether Ubisoft has confirmed or denied this, but I can't find either. Anyone know whether I'll be let down?

#2 Posted by Cretaceous_Bob (527 posts) -

I don't know that they've ever said 3 would finish anything.

#3 Posted by laserbolts (5365 posts) -

This is Ubisoft's bread and butter. You bet your ass there will be an AC3 spinoff.

#4 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@Cretaceous_Bob: Yeah, makes sense that they wouldn't lock themselves into that, but Revelations was far too much stretching of one "game" for my likes. I'm supremely interested in the story of the precursors, but come on... would you be okay with a cliffhanger ending for the third main game? I hope they don't pull that shit again, I hope they know better...

#5 Posted by _Chad (960 posts) -

They've said it'll finish up Desmond's story. Chances are it won't be the last AC game.

#6 Posted by Rayeth (1071 posts) -

Yo, I hate to tell you this, but Ubisoft likes money. This series makes them money. It won't be going away.

3-2 and 3-3 are sure to follow.

#7 Posted by M_Shini (551 posts) -

I doubt it, i havent played much of AC but i know when the series is over, the final game will be purely set in the present, till then no chance,and even then im sure they will draw it out .

#8 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

Oh well.. guess I'll just enjoy the journey for this game, then follow the story until said "final game" set in the present. I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE PRECURSORS WANT WITH US GODDAMNIT!

#9 Posted by Vonocourt (2164 posts) -

They said it'll bring some "finality," but I can shake the feeling if this was the end for Desmond they would be promoting it heavily.

But then again, Ubisoft refused to admit the first Assassin's Creed took place in a computer until it was released...even though literally everybody knew.

#10 Posted by AngelN7 (2973 posts) -

This won't be the last game but I'm pretty sure this will be the last "Desmond" game this is where the whole 21-12-12 thing will happen plus it makes for a great marketing campaign , this game will wrap up the story they've been building for sure for all the "Revelations didin't reveal anything" it actually did, there's a bunch of important stuff there even if you don't play as Desmond in the real world stuff happens also this.

I belive that's desmond in the real world using his Assasssin's skill in some sort of MMA arena/dome in Brazil ... so yeah shit is getting real!

#11 Posted by Blimble (300 posts) -

As long as they get done with the stupid alien god end of the world thing part I'll be happy

#12 Posted by Raven10 (1923 posts) -

I doubt AC3 will end the series. It might end the current story arc but I'm sure there will be more games in the series. At best it will be an end like Gears of War 3 or Mass Effect 3 - the story arc will be closed and the characters mostly retired but the series will go on.

#13 Posted by Pezen (1668 posts) -

Just keep 'em coming, Ubisoft. I got your back!

#14 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@Blimble said:

As long as they get done with the stupid alien god end of the world thing part I'll be happy

Yep. Me too. That's all I want, Ubisoft.. please.. no more dragging this out..

#15 Posted by awesomeusername (4216 posts) -

@murisan: They've said countless times that this will wrap up Desmond's story. It'll be the last AC game with Desmond, but not the last game in the franchise. So expect new protagonists in 3-4 years. Maybe on next gen consoles even? They said earlier this year that they were going to give it a break after AC3 release.

#16 Posted by Bollard (5851 posts) -

@Cretaceous_Bob said:

In fact, they originally said that the series would be a trilogy, and at least one of the 3 games would be set entirely in Desmond's time.

#17 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3924 posts) -

I'd look at the sales figures of the last three. If they were considered successful, well, hope you like Connor.

#18 Posted by Begilerath (175 posts) -

Watchdogs is next year not? I suppose ACIII is the last AC this generation, next year is Watchdogs and 2014 they start a new AC trilogy on the new consoles.

#19 Posted by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

The next one will star the motion capture performance of Michael Fassbender to line up with the movie.

#20 Posted by pyromagnestir (4339 posts) -

Assassin's Creed is like a comic book now. It won't end. The "end" will come when people stop buying them and so they stop making them.

#21 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@Begilerath said:

Watchdogs is next year not? I suppose ACIII is the last AC this generation, next year is Watchdogs and 2014 they start a new AC trilogy on the new consoles.

Watchdogs might be the modern-day Assassin's Creed people've been waiting for anyway. It seems to have a lot of similar elements.

#22 Posted by Jimbo (9993 posts) -
#23 Edited by project343 (2838 posts) -

Spending only 1 game in a given era with a given assassin felt like a waste to me. I honestly hope that we get a 3-2 and 3-3. Connor looks like he could have all sorts of potential, and there is a ton of historical stuff for them to tackle in that era of American history.

I figure I should say that, for me, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood was by far the best in series. It took what was nearly flawless in Assassin's Creed 2 and refined it to absolute perfection while making some bold-ass pushes forward for the series (the economy, the singular open world map, the multiplayer). I'm sure Assassin's Creed 3 will leave plenty of room to grow, and I hope they take the time to methodically facilitate that.

#24 Edited by SASnake (374 posts) -

its said Desmonds story comes to an end, seeing as its the end of the world this year, and thats what the games about. Also this games been in development since Ass Creed 2, and they put some time into giving Desmond some decent gameplay chunks this time, also his own animations

#25 Posted by Snail (8661 posts) -

I remember when the first Assassin's Creed came out.

Who would've known that it would become all this. I wish they wouldn't milk it so much.

#26 Posted by Ronin147 (79 posts) -

Well I think we will get more resolution with the desmond story because I thought they would at least try an pull the whole mayan calendar thing or whatever. And to do it in the game after the date has passed would be a waste in my opinion. But there will defintely be more games. The B team will work on the sequels. The A team will start the next gerneation of AC on new consoles.

#27 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

Assassins Creed 3-3 lightning returns

#28 Posted by Begilerath (175 posts) -

@murisan said:

@Begilerath said:

Watchdogs might be the modern-day Assassin's Creed people've been waiting for anyway. It seems to have a lot of similar elements.

Yes, I have this theory that mid through Watchdogs they reveal that is in the same "universe" as Assassins Creed.

#29 Posted by Sean2206 (258 posts) -

It probably won't finish the story although with the whole 2012 thing both in real time and in game time they're too close to the end date to do another trilogy I think. There might be two but not three games especially after the tepid response to revelations. It definitely won't finish the story but the trailer over here suggests it might and there isn't much more they can do with this current story.

#30 Posted by QKT (251 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

This is Ubisoft's bread and butter. You bet your ass there will be an AC3 spinoff.

done and done: liberation.

#31 Posted by Levio (1786 posts) -

If they make another spinoff, it should be called Assassin's Creed: Motherhood.

#32 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -

They've been quiet about what this game means in terms of the larger story, but given the tie in with the whole 2012 thing, this is supposed to be the end of Desmond's story. Obviously they could continue with Connor's story, filling in some blank spots and maybe filling in some of the mythology. And they could always go back and tell stories of other assassins. As far as the "trilogy" is concerned, I'm pretty sure this is it.

#33 Posted by Nightriff (5344 posts) -

@punkxblaze said:

The next one will star the motion capture performance of Michael Fassbender to line up with the movie.

FUCK YES, I will play that, just get rid of Desmond, least interesting part of the series for me. Even Michael Fassbender as Desmond would be better.

#34 Posted by ShaggE (6701 posts) -

I won't rest until I get my Victorian Assassin's Creed sequel. More so now that Dishonored has whet my appetite for such a thing.

#35 Posted by Yanngc33 (4461 posts) -

The PS Vita spin off game is the first of many

#36 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@Levio said:

If they make another spinoff, it should be called Assassin's Creed: Motherhood.

The game where you recruit maids to look after all of your assorted offspring across different locales and points in time.

#37 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

@murisan said:

I have to say, I am not interested in waiting another year or two to play the follow up to Assassin's Creed III. I will be hugely disappointed and likely done with this series if the third doesn't tie up the storyline that started in the first.

I've been trying to find some information as to whether Ubisoft has confirmed or denied this, but I can't find either. Anyone know whether I'll be let down?

I definitely get the feeling that they see, and other developers see, AAA games as essentially TV series. I don't think you'll see an end until it ceases to be profitable if at all.

#38 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4701 posts) -

I hope there is no Assassin Creed 3 spinoff. The interesting prospect of the series was that each new game was meant to star a new character in a new time period. I never liked brotherhood and thus never even played the one after that.

#39 Posted by DoctorWelch (2765 posts) -

I'm actually really skeptical about Assassin's Creed III in both gameplay and story. The quality jump from the first game to the second was so drastic, and I really haven't seen any ACIII footage to connivence me that they've made a significant jump in how the game will work compared to their ACII anual spinoffs.

The story in ACII was so crazy and unexpected that I don't think there's any way they can live up to that standard in ACIII. Wrapping up a story is always the hardest part, and it's rarely done right. That is, if they even choose to wrap up the story with this game.

I think ACIII is going to be a pretty good game, but I'm not expecting anything amazing. Hopefully I'm wrong.

#40 Posted by Animasta (14723 posts) -

@Chavtheworld said:

@Cretaceous_Bob said:

In fact, they originally said that the series would be a trilogy, and at least one of the 3 games would be set entirely in Desmond's time.

trilogy in french actually means 9 games, honest mistake

#41 Posted by MHumphreys89 (724 posts) -

If I were a betting man i'd say Ubisoft are not going to go balls-out-future until they do another story in the 20th Century. They could do the World Wars, Hitler did have a piece of Eden...don't ask me how the game-play would work though.

#42 Posted by project343 (2838 posts) -

@DoctorWelch said:

I'm actually really skeptical about Assassin's Creed III in both gameplay and story. The quality jump from the first game to the second was so drastic, and I really haven't seen any ACIII footage to connivence me that they've made a significant jump in how the game will work compared to their ACII anual spinoffs.

The story in ACII was so crazy and unexpected that I don't think there's any way they can live up to that standard in ACIII. Wrapping up a story is always the hardest part, and it's rarely done right. That is, if they even choose to wrap up the story with this game.

I think ACIII is going to be a pretty good game, but I'm not expecting anything amazing. Hopefully I'm wrong.

But where can you go? They have added:

• Naval combat
  • Foliage as 'stealth zones'
  • Tree/natural climbing
  • Hunting
  • Revamped counter system
  • Seasonal changing
  • Apparently there's a leveling system (based on synchronization)
  • Whole new environment, character, and story (which is a bit of a given)

The problem with Assassin's Creed: Revelations is that they added too much. They wanted to change the formula more than they should have. All the additions felt convoluted and didn't add anything meaningful enough to the experience. For instance, the bombs. Fuck the bombs. Why would you ever go out of your way to collect the materials, find the crafting station, then try to figure out exactly what sort of bomb you want, then remember to repeatedly do that throughout your game? It's completely disruptive to the 'think on your feet/reactionary' design of the game and forces you to be preemptive. Or the unnecessary Windows screensaver puzzle-platforming first-person Desmond sections. Or the tower defense.

When you combine AC1 (climbing, the social stealth, the melee combat) with AC2 (the tools, the economy, the narrative structure) with AC:B (the Brotherhood, the territory control, the horseback combat, the multiplayer)... you end up with something so layered and volatile that adding new layers risks toppling the experience onto itself. At this point, you don't add wholly new systems to a series that is already more layered than it needs to be. You make small refinements, you go to new areas, meet new characters, and tell a solid story.

The only thing this series needs is a hardware bump. When they do that, they can handle more complex crowd dynamics, better visuals, better physics systems, and better environment streaming.

#43 Posted by MEATBALL (3479 posts) -

I'm guessing AC3 will end the Desmond/Abstergo/2012 apocalypse thread, I'm guessing we'll be seeing another game next year starring Connor anyway, either with Desmond/the Animus or without.

#44 Posted by LiquidPrince (16175 posts) -

@Blimble said:

They were never aliens... What are you talking about?

#45 Posted by CooVee (146 posts) -

Assassin's Creed, like many franchises these days, will not have a concrete ending any time soon. I can see them ending the Desmond story because there is only so long you can draw that arc out. Once that is finished they can make more and more sequels without being held back by the Desmond/Abstergo storyline.

#46 Edited by Encephalon (1334 posts) -

I'm looking forward to AC3, but the sooner they close out the 2012 plotline, the better. It always was a bit of a disappointment to me how damn video-gamey AC's plot became, and that lies largely on the back of the elements they introduced in AC2. I'll be much more content with the series if they go the straight-up period piece angle.

#47 Posted by Blazed_Feline (3 posts) -

@AngelN7: Where did you get that photo?? It looks awesome

#48 Edited by mordukai (7185 posts) -

@murisan: After the way Ubisoft treated AC after the second game then I expect a new AC game every year. It's their cash cow. However, If they finish the Desmond story in the third one and move on to new stories then I might get back on board. Maybe more personal stories. I am kinda sick of this "world saving/changer" plot points.

Still waiting to see an AC game that takes place in feudal Japan, or in China at the height of their empire.

#49 Posted by DoctorWelch (2765 posts) -

@project343: I personally think that Assassin's Creed is too simple, and I'll tell you why.

I wouldn't even consider the game to have actual stealth because the system is more similar to something like a GTA star rating for the police. There aren't really stealth mechanics like there is in something like Dishonored. Overall, it's not an essential part of the game, it's just something there to stop you from going bat-shit crazy.

The actual combat in Assassin's Creed is a joke. Although it's similar to something like Batman, it's strictly counter based rather than being deep and combo driven. Again, the combat is almost like a punishment or deterrent from just acting like a crazy moron within the world, rather than a system designed to be a main part of the game.

The territory stuff gives a nice incentive to climbing everywhere and exploring the world as much as possible, but the payoff is pretty pathetic. Recruiting assassins is sort of fun, but it's essentially just a series of menus that gets you more gold over time, while also allowing you to easily escape from the previously mentioned combat designed to punish you for playing like a mad man.

Now, it might sound like I'm really bashing on the Assassin's Creed games, but I'm not. I really enjoyed Assassin's Creed II, and I think it's one of the best games of this generation, but that doesn't mean I don't see the chance for wild improvements. The reason I think it's great is in spite of feeling like most of the actual systems in place are rather tedious. The reason why I look past it is because the game establishes this amazing and beautiful world that I want to explore and run around it while being a sly murderer dude who's taking on an underground organization, and it does this better than anything else ever has.

Assassin's Creed II/Brotherhood took these ideas that started with in Assassin's Creed and refined them to make them viable on their own, but now that I've played that game already (actually three of those games) I want something more. I want them to take this awesome world and put something in it to make me care, and that's why I am skeptical of Assassin's Creed III. Even though the story of Assassin's Creed franchise may be crazy, it give context for the world that I'm interacting with and it gives me reason to care. If they loose the thread in Assassin's Creed III, than I loose my motivation to care about what is going on.

All this being said, I'm sure they will make the new character have an interesting storyline that makes me care about what he's doing, and I know that setting it in the American Colonies will give it a great fresh feeling. My problem is, I feel like there is so much more potential for this franchise. I don't want stupid little frills like naval combat and hunting minigames, and slightly improving upon the stealth and combat systems that already accomplish their goals of creating a believable world by punishing and restricting the player doesn't do anything for me.

Who knows, maybe the hunting and naval combat will play a much bigger role than I'm expecting, and maybe they won't go off the rails with their Desmond storyline, but from what I've seen so far I'm just not all that excited. I'm going to play it no matter what, and if it blows my expectations out of the water that'd be great.

#50 Posted by AngelN7 (2973 posts) -

@Blazed_Feline: From AC3 official site it was part of one of those facebook community games or something.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.