Lets take a "what do you come for" poll.

#1 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Who here cares about the future desmond stuff and who here just like historical stabbing dudes? Personally I could not care less about what happens outside the animus in any of the games. I just like the historical story where you stab dudes. Finally give me my ninja game and I'll buy two copies.

#2 Posted by SolidOcelot (334 posts) -

100% with you, the Desmond stuff has always been lacking and even the promise of what I could be was never as appealing as the different historical eras. Give me more and varied times in history and less apocalyptic future, and I'll buy every entry in the franchise.

#3 Edited by TobbRobb (4739 posts) -

I barely gave a shit about the story in any of the games. I just wanted to have fun screwing around with the fun platforming and assassination techniques. I also always enjoy customizing characters and making shitloads of money. That's why Brotherhood is the best game in the series followed by the original. The only thing I remember really liking in 2 was the hidden platforming missions to get the cool armor.

Looking back, I played those games for similar reasons to why I play Fable... Regular combat is shit in both those series as well. AC IS THE NEW FABLE!

#4 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Yeah just let me explore more time periods and I couldn't be more happy.

#5 Posted by The_Ruiner (1082 posts) -

Yeah fuck all the conspiracy, "first people" stuff. It kinda feels like the videogame version of Lost. A thrown together story that tries to appear profound and intricate.

#6 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Glad to see I am not alone

#7 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

I'm all for historical stabbing of dudes. I wouldn't mind a modern setting though my problem with the Desmond part is the solar flare stuff and aliens and whatever

#8 Posted by Zaccheus (1797 posts) -

Yeah I don't really care much about the Desmond stuff. There was some cool intrigue in the first one since you had no idea what was going on, but the more they explained the less I cared.

#9 Edited by MikkaQ (10317 posts) -

I just kinda like running around, climbing shit, grabbing collectibles and doing side-content. The main missions haven't been very fun the last few entries.

The modern day stuff was really cool at first, but then it got shittier and more contrived and now I just wanna run around historical places.

#10 Posted by geirr (2637 posts) -

Desmond stuff was a nice tease in the first game, then it turned into blue balls with no release. It's painful.

#11 Edited by briangodsoe (487 posts) -

The historical stuff despite any liberties taken, messed up sci fi story that I am dying to see where they take it(I hear this is disappointing but who knows?), the traversal, and stabbin dudes.

Edit: Also I came for these things and I'll stay for the stellar naval combat. I was not expecting to love this as much as I do. And multiplayer, when it works, is still this crazy unique experience. There is no game quite like it.

#12 Posted by phantomzxro (1578 posts) -

Well i guess I'm one of the few that cared about the story and conspiracy stuff because it made things interesting. I like stabbing dudes in the past like the next dude but i would not have bought into 4 games for that. AC 1 and AC 2 would have been good for me if that's all i wanted to do.

#13 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4850 posts) -

@JZ said:

Who here cares about the future desmond stuff and who here just like historical stabbing dudes? Personally I could not care less about what happens outside the animus in any of the games. I just like the historical story where you stab dudes. Finally give me my ninja game and I'll buy two copies.

Your Ninja game is called fuckin' Tenchu.

Now please stop asking AC to be Tenchu.

#14 Posted by StarvingGamer (8373 posts) -

I appreciate the potential of the Desmond stuff but never expected them to do anything significant with it. Personally, I love the alternate/hidden history aspect of these games the most.

#15 Posted by 49th (2783 posts) -

Always thought the animus is terrible and it is still terrible.

#16 Edited by Klei (1768 posts) -

@geirr said:

Desmond stuff was a nice tease in the first game, then it turned into blue balls with no release. It's painful.

This. Desmond's parts could have been much better. Why not make some modern interior action in warehouses and shit like that? Why not give him a bunch of tools that only he has, for gameplay's sake? Allow us to have a couple of missions with Desmond, like the Cathedral parkour of AC2.

#17 Posted by Lydian_Sel (2488 posts) -

I thought my interest is the Desmond stuff had fallen to my love of stabbing dudes but then Revelations happened in which I enjoyed neither of those two things all that much. AC3 has me on a roughly even keel again, the Desmond stuff I've played so far has been pretty fun and the stabbing dudes is still great though I REALLY miss being able to chain kills in combat, the counter stuff is cool and all but it doesn't feel as satisfying.

#18 Posted by Nightriff (5148 posts) -

I have always come to the day for the historical setting and thought the future could never be pulled off in a fun and entertaining way. Basically if they never mentioned Desmond in the first place I would have always been ok with that.

#19 Posted by MEATBALL (3322 posts) -

I like all of it. :(

#20 Posted by Soapy86 (2634 posts) -

Couldn't care less about Desmond.

#21 Posted by Brendan (7843 posts) -

I loved the Desmond stuff less and less with each entry, but I still find it interesting. Actually, that's not true. My hype for Desmond stuff reached it's peak at the end of AC 2. After that it's become clear that the story will only move forward as long as there are new games to sell, and that takes away from it's impact.

#22 Posted by Sterling (2455 posts) -

Why was this not an actual poll? I am disappointed. I wanted more voting today.

I like them both. But I don't like them at the same time, as odd as that sounds. I really dig the back in the day stab dudes like uh uh uh stuff, like a lot. And I dig the Desmond stuff. But it just feels to me like they should be separate games. An entire game of just Desmond stuff and an entire game of just uh uh uh.

#23 Posted by jillsandwich (762 posts) -

I like Desmond, I'm much more interested in the present story, although the past is dope too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.