Naval combat: everything about this is wrong

• 129 results
#1 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

There is nothing even remotely believable about the naval combat sequence. I don't evend think it would be possible to come up with a more ridiculous series of events short of aliens coming down to literally deus ex machina the Americans out of there.

So glad ubisoft is taking their time to really get into the setting. And i may as well say this now, since I'll be saying it later anyways: the "wilderness" between Boston and New York was actually almost entirely farmland. My hometown was founded in 1702, as were most of the towns in Connecticut. There were huge fucking roads that the armies marched on while travelling to various battles, which are, again, still roads today. If anything there's actually probably more forest here now than there was 230 years ago. Assassin's Creed 3: you kill generals in cow pastures.

#2 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

Yeah I forgot to talk about the ships blowing up. Total horse shit. Cannon balls don't explode, and 18 century naval vessels had literally nothing on them hittable that would ignite on impact with thst force. The ships would be more likely to sink due to a catastrophic cannon malfunction than blow up like that. And I'm not even going to get into technicalities like tactics, or cursory sailing, or the laws of physics that were given the middle finger on that sequence. Yeah ezio and altair did some pretty crazy, impossible stunts, but they never completely ignored every aspect of things like 'inertia' or 'gravity'.

Is there more? Sure, i could write an essay on how completely and totally retarded every aspect of that sequence is, but its not even worth the effort.

#3 Posted by Turambar (6842 posts) -

It's the animus.  A technologist did it.  Boom.

#4 Posted by xyzygy (10062 posts) -

On top of your reasons, it just looks plain boring. I was sitting there watching the Sony conference and thinking to myself, "Really? They decide to show this boring as shit minigame off at a major press conference?"

#5 Posted by Feanor (1389 posts) -

That's weird, I just drove from Buffalo to Boston about a month ago. So I traveled strait across NY and Mass. Shit ton of wilderness, and there was probably a lot more 250+ years ago.

And I don't think they set out to make a naval battle sim. Like 99% of video games they tend to exaggerate to make things more entertaining. If you want realism go read some Patrick O'brian books.

#6 Posted by nixatron (126 posts) -

So ships exploding because they got hit by cannon balls killed it for you because that is were you stop believing in it? not the whole dude hops in machine to view his ancestors memories thing? or the balls of magic that have unlimited power? or the weird god alien things? You might as well complain about how he cant possibly climb those buildings because there is no way a human being can hold on to ledges that small while you're at it.

#7 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

I just graduated from History school, and can confirm that the Native Indians did have tomahawks.

#8 Posted by StarvingGamer (8456 posts) -

Yeah man, this series used to be about realism and authenticity. Like the way the world gets desaturated and time stands still long enough for a brief dialogue after every significant kill.

Totally historically accurate.

#9 Posted by BaconBuTTy (175 posts) -

Weird things happening in context of the fiction is very different to the ships exploding from cannon fire.

Assassins creed has very weird things happening, but they've always been fringe elements on what is essentially a world which is grounded in realism.

The ships exploding is dumb.

But its a videogame. So, its more fun to blow them up than poke holes in them and watch them slowly sink.

#10 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

@Example1013: And yet a guy traveling back in time through a fucking deck chair to re-experience his ancestors lives is ok? What about jumping from a 20m high clock tower into a small pile of straw and surviving? Ships blowing up and a forest not being farmland is what ruins it for you? Go fuck yourself and your bitching just for the sake of bitching.

#11 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@Example1013 said:

There is nothing even remotely believable about the naval combat sequence. I don't evend think it would be possible to come up with a more ridiculous series of events short of aliens coming down to literally deus ex machina the Americans out of there.
Giorgio disapproves
#12 Posted by Kedi2 (255 posts) -

It seems like everyone is always so cynical these days. I thought it looked fine personally, and visually impressive if nothing else.

#13 Posted by Giantstalker (1708 posts) -

Although not common, because they were typically below the waterline, it wasn't impossible for a warship's gunpowder magazine to detonate as result of battle damage. Exploding ships are not totally out on the realm of fiction, although expecting every opposing vessel to blow up is perhaps asking a tad much of the audience. Either way, a minor complaint.

#14 Posted by Danteveli (1210 posts) -

@Turambar said:

It's the animus. A technologist did it. Boom.

plus its a damn video game. Have you forgotten that we are used to eating shrooms to grow up and regenerate our health after being hit with rocket?

#15 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I tried to think of a game where I have enjoyed there navel combat section, I honestly can think of nothing.

#16 Posted by Draugen (682 posts) -

There is nothing remotely believable about a single man with a view-obstructing hood stabbing his way through five dozen armed and trained soldiers in a single skirmish either, but it still made it fun in the previous games. Why with the hate, man? Get with the love. The game is still months out, and none of use have played a build even close to completed. Why don't we wait for the finished product before declaring our disgust.

I found the Tomb Raider footage shown uncomfrotable, but I've decided not judge it too harshly until I see where they go with it.Patience, my young padawan.

#17 Posted by Commisar123 (1798 posts) -

I thought the bigger issue was the fact that it was a pretty turret sequence.

#18 Posted by Jimbo (9930 posts) -

I thought it looked cool, but it was very arcadey.

#19 Posted by Murdouken (709 posts) -

Gunpowder explodes though, and ships have loads of it on board to fire cannons.

If you're going to hate anything, hate Medal of Honor: America's Funniest War Crimes. That was literally the most disgusting video game short of Rapelay that I've ever seen.

#20 Posted by Jace (1093 posts) -

@Example1013: Yeah, I'm really fucking pissed about it too. I go to Assassins Creed when I want TOTAL realism.

It's fucking bullshit from Ubisoft. This is supposed to be a sim franchise.

#21 Edited by Jazzycola (663 posts) -

@Example1013 said:

Yeah ezio and altair did some pretty crazy, impossible stunts, but they never completely ignored every aspect of things like 'inertia' or 'gravity'.

So falling from a 30 story building into a haystack isn't completely ignoring 'inertia' or 'gravity'? It's dramatized for your entertainment. Who really wants to maneuver a ship around for hours to get 1 shot off? And if you really want to jump down the rabbit hole of logically nitpicking, why are you playing a video game? Logically speaking it's a complete waste of time.

#22 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@Jazzycola said:

Who really wants to maneuver a ship around for hours to get 1 shot off?

I would play the hell out of a big budget naval sim, but it would be a bad move for this game.

#23 Edited by OllyOxenFree (4980 posts) -

Well this totally backfired on the OP. Abandon ship!

#24 Posted by aspaceinvader (257 posts) -

Dude it's a video game, do you really think people can really free run like they do in ac series and jump of towers etc in to a cart of straw and walk away. They take artistic licence with these things.

#25 Posted by MeierTheRed (4941 posts) -

To me it just looked extremely boring, and like filler gameplay.

#26 Posted by Xakura (126 posts) -

Gentlemen, please. Yes, the haystack jumping has always been a major weak point.

However, you seem to mix up two different concepts and how they do or do not break suspension of disbelief. The Animus is a fictitious device in a sci-fi setting; we allow a lot more from that than something that exist in real life, and we know how works.

#27 Posted by dudeglove (8141 posts) -

@Hizang said:

I tried to think of a game where I have enjoyed there navel combat section, I honestly can think of nothing.

#28 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@dudeglove: I made it up to "His name is boobies"

#29 Posted by RedRoach (1206 posts) -

It's a fucking action game, not a damn ship simulator. I don't care if it's realistic, it was exciting and entertaining and it looked liked fun to play. They're making a game, and they want it to be fun. I'd rather run through forests and climb tree's then run on flat farmland forever.

In conclusion: it's a video game.

#30 Posted by J12088 (462 posts) -

I had more of a problem with him jumping from twig to twig without a single branch moving. He must be light as a feather. It looks like a good game but i really can't shake the feeling they've shoe horned in the time period to sell more copies. It'll probably work too.

#31 Posted by N7 (3657 posts) -
@OllyOxenFree said:
Well this totally backfired on the OP. Abandon ship!
Do so with only the most authentic realism, or the OP may make a rebuttal thread.
#32 Posted by HistoryInRust (6374 posts) -

I hear you get to stab dudes in it, and for that reason I can look past any nonsensical bullshit. 

#33 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

This is where Assassin's Creed got too unrealistic for you? really?....Really?

#34 Posted by DeanoXD (613 posts) -

Whenever i see or read someone trying to put realistic standards to video games it makes me laugh.

#35 Posted by Dezztroy (850 posts) -
@Murdouken said:

Gunpowder explodes though, and ships have loads of it on board to fire cannons.

An iron or steel ball wouldn't ignite it though.

Just saying.
#36 Posted by HistoryInRust (6374 posts) -
@DeanoXD: Whatever, dude. I see people leaping off towers into hay bales all the time. 
#37 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

Pirates of the Caribbean is 100% historically accurate.

#38 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

Wait Wait...your complaining about the ship sequence in AC3? I'm pretty sure the Ship sequence in Brotherhood is a hell of a lot more bullshit then in AC3... Also, it's a fucking video game. Want Accuracy? Read a book or watch a documentary.

#39 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

I thought it looked cool, Better then the rest of the game.

#40 Posted by abomunist (120 posts) -

@Feanor: New England has been deforested at least twice. In the timeframe of AC3, the land would have been cleared and mostly farms. It wasn't until the Erie Canal opened up the more fertile soil of the midwest that the forests started growing back; when the Farmers literally relocated to greener pastures. If you got out of your car and took a walk in the woods you'd see hand-made stone walls amongst the trees marking the abandoned borders of ancient farm property.

#41 Posted by DeanoXD (613 posts) -

@HistoryInRust: i am lying in my animus bed right now.

#42 Posted by AngelN7 (2972 posts) -

Does it look fun? *checks* yup ... that's all I care If I wanted realism in my Naval combat minigames I would be playing some boring sim .

#43 Posted by HistoryInRust (6374 posts) -
@DeanoXD said:

@HistoryInRust: i am lying in my animus bed right now.

Gonna do some muh-fuggin' geocaching tomorrow with my Eagle Sense. 
#44 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

@BaconBuTTy said:

Weird things happening in context of the fiction is very different to the ships exploding from cannon fire. Assassins creed has very weird things happening, but they've always been fringe elements on what is essentially a world which is grounded in realism. The ships exploding is dumb. But its a videogame. So, its more fun to blow them up than poke holes in them and watch them slowly sink.

You should play Pirates, It's pretty fun to watch ships sink. :P

#45 Posted by FritzDude (2279 posts) -

Video games.

#46 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2699 posts) -

UNAUTHENTIC NAVAL BATTLES? THIS IS WHERE I DRAW THE LINE, UBISOFT

#47 Posted by DeanoXD (613 posts) -

@HistoryInRust: oonce i get out of the basement of this ancient castle i am going to turn on my eagle vision and find some lost foot prints and follow those to secret areas

and when i find them all i am going to dance a mutha fucking jigg

#48 Posted by Turambar (6842 posts) -
@Hizang said:

Sid Meier's Pirates?
#49 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3908 posts) -

I agree with the OP. I wish the series would get back to the realism of DaVinci making weapons for assassins and dudes having magic alien staff weapons. You know, history stuff.

#50 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming: Haha, awesome. I love that guy. I think he should become the narrator of Assassin's Creed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.