Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed III

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Oct 30, 2012

The fifth console entry in the Assassin's Creed franchise. It introduces the half-Native American, half-English Assassin Connor and is set in North America in the late eighteenth century amid the American Revolutionary War.

PC Version Framerate.

Avatar image for deactivated-60f5d7f2a3be3
    deactivated-60f5d7f2a3be3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

I'd like to ask something to anyone who has played it on the PC if they encountered frame rate issues. Because I did! I know my hardware can manage the game at 60+ FPS but oddly enough when arriving in Boston the FPS is as low as 20 or even 15.

Anyone else encountered this problem?

Tried even the Beta Nvidia drivers that were let out especcialy for this game and BO2

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jimbo

Presumably there's a lot more going on upon 'arriving in Boston'?

Avatar image for endlessobsidian
    EndlessObsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By EndlessObsidian

What are your computer hardware specs?

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By colourful_hippie

I noticed a huge dip too but it lowered only down to 30. I'm back to 50-60 after the initial arrival to Boston and everything is smooth in the Frontier so yeah I'm kinda confused. If I had to guess it would be because of the lack of graphics options. It would be nice to disable tessellation and reduce the draw distance because the draw distance in my game is ridiculously huge.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AMD Phenon II x4 955@4Ghz

GTX 570 Beta Drivers 310.61

2x4GB Corsair Vengeacce Blue @1600 MHz, 9-9-8-24, 1,5 V

ASUS M5A99X Last Updated Bios

rolanthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rolanthas

Yeah Boston is a mess, no matter what your rig. There are people that get 10-20 fps in boston with GTX 680's and people that get 30-40 with 560 Ti's , it's weird. Can't find the exact post atm but an Ubi rep acknowledged the issue yesterday on the official forums. It may be better to wait for a patch if the dip is too severe to enjoy the game.

edit: BTW I think AMD users can force tesselation off for their cards, may be worth a try if anyone here uses one.

Xel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Xel

I'm getting decent framerates in Boston. I haven't measured them, but I'd say 40+ at least.

I'm running a pc with an i7 2600k and a gtx 570.

EDIT: I just checked my drivers and I'm running on 306.97, so I'm gonna install Nvidia's beta and try AC3 later.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By zenmastah
    @Colourful_Hippie

I noticed a huge dip too but it lowered only down to 30. I'm back to 50-60 after the initial arrival to Boston and everything is smooth in the Frontier so yeah I'm kinda confused. If I had to guess it would be because of the lack of graphics options. It would be nice to disable tessellation and reduce the draw distance because the draw distance in my game is ridiculously huge.

no such thing as a too huge draw distance! Previous games were awful in that recard. Ive read that sli/crossfire does not work (surprise), also msaa cripples even monster rigs so stick with fxaa for now. Does anyone know if sweetfx work btw?
    Xel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Xel

I just tested it with the latest Nvidia drivers. It's really smooth now, possibly 55-60 at most times, although the framerate dropped when I did a final kill and there was a weird bug where a wagon was blinking in and out of existence.

Avatar image for deactivated-58e114a345bdd
    deactivated-58e114a345bdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tesselation always kill my frames on my 460 card. Stupidly you can't turn the shit off.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By rethla

@Colourful_Hippie said:

Ofc the FPS will be lower in Boston than frontier thats normal.

@rolanthas said:

Yeah Boston is a mess, no matter what your rig. There are people that get 10-20 fps in boston with GTX 680's and people that get 30-40 with 560 Ti's , it's weird. Can't find the exact post atm but an Ubi rep acknowledged the issue yesterday on the official forums. It may be better to wait for a patch if the dip is too severe to enjoy the game.

edit: BTW I think AMD users can force tesselation off for their cards, may be worth a try if anyone here uses one.

Theres more in a "rig" than just a graphics card...

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By LiquidPrince

I get 60+ on my 7970. There's a weird glitch with anti-aliasing on very high though where you can see everything in wireframe mode... So I'm running everything on max except anti-aliasing on high just to get rid of the glitch.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By zenmastah

Very high on nvidia cards is 4x TXAA and with amd cards its fxaa+msaa combined so id wait for a patch to fix that glitch.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LiquidPrince

@Tremore said:

Very high on nvidia cards is 4x TXAA and with amd cards its fxaa+msaa combined so id wait for a patch to fix that glitch.

It's a driver issue. If you update to the most recent beta drivers for AMD it fixes it, but then it messes up my audio going through HDMI to my TV. Everything would cut out every couple of seconds. So I reverted back to official current drivers.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15  Edited By impartialgecko

Can't comment as my hardware can't run it at 60 fps. Limited it to 30 and put all the settings up to max. It's a great-looking version of that game.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By ShaggE

I haven't played this game yet, but that's in line with the real Boston. The framerate is TERRIBLE over there.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Seems like Nvidia needs to release some new drivers for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-58e114a345bdd
    deactivated-58e114a345bdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bourbon_Warrior: or ubisoft needs to let us turn off DX11 features

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By zenmastah

Anyone else got the Vsync to work, ive got no options for it on the game menu and ive tried enabling it thru Inspector, control panel and D3Doverrider but i get massive tears every time.

Huh, so if i alt+tab out of the game it seems to lock vsync, i bet this has something to do with Uplay.

You guys werent kidding, the framerate is all over the place, everything else on High except aliasing on Normal and i only dip to 50s now and then.

Sure hope for patch or new drivers to help with this soon, id like to set shadows to Very High to get better ambient occlusion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read somewhere that the guys over Ubisoft know of the optimization problems and will soon make a patch to hopefully fit the FPS issues most of the userd have.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By AhmadMetallic

A steady, sexually arousing 50-60 FPS on my GTX 570 and 2500K, maxed out.

Dipped to 29 when I first arrived at Boston and increased back up to 40-45 within a couple of minutes. Now I'm 4.5 hours into in and let's just say FUCK THIS GAME IS PHEEEE NOOO MEEE NAAALLLLL <333333 xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kishinfoulux

@AhmadMetallic said:

Dipped to 29 when I first arrived at Boston and increased back up to 40-45 within a couple of minutes. Now I'm 4.5 hours into in and let's just say FUCK THIS GAME IS PHEEEE NOOO MEEE NAAALLLLL <333333 xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

So are the frame problems ironed out then? I'm kind of hesitant to buy it until I feel good about it working right. I know there was that big patch, but unsure if it optimized any better.

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Optix12

I started playing this on saturday and played it through most of the day/night. Only time I had awkward frames was when I first got to Boston and first getting into the Frontier (it was worse in the frontier so I have yet to return) but at most my frames dropped to 20.

Current rig is gtx660 , i5-760 8gb ram.

@kishinfoulux: Id say get it if you have a pretty decent card (seems like 550 or higher seems stable enough)

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By geirr

Smooth sailing with 560ti, i5 2500k, 8gb ram.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@Optix12 said:

@kishinfoulux: Id say get it if you have a pretty decent card (seems like 550 or higher seems stable enough)

Yeah. Only problem is the game gets really boring and loses its momentum after 10 hours. Kind of like Skyrim after 100 hours. I'm 11 hours into it and I just don't wanna go back anymore, I keep sighing and alt-tabbing to facebook and shit.

And I once loved this fricking franchise.. Guess it doesn't have much to offer after the climax that was Brotherhood, other than hunting and tree climbing that, like I said, gets old after 10 hours.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By zenmastah

I had the same thing, i just powered thru the game and did none of the sidemissions.

Instantly unistalled the game once i finished and i have no plans on returning to it.

Or buying another AC game.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By colourful_hippie

@kishinfoulux said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

So are the frame problems ironed out then? I'm kind of hesitant to buy it until I feel good about it working right. I know there was that big patch, but unsure if it optimized any better.

Yeah after the initial arrival to Boston the frames have stayed back to 50-60 at 1080p and I haven't felt the need to drop the resolution. I'm on a GTX 555 and i5. Just ordered a 660ti that should be here soon so I'm looking forward to keeping everything at 60.

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Optix12

@AhmadMetallic: hmm. I am around 10 hours in now and think its still stable (framerate and the story) after sequence 6. Granted an hour or so ago I have just found what the frontier really offers the players.

I do like the additional Desmond stuff of collecting items purely to advance that crazy story, did you happen to go outside the animus in this one to talk to people/find a slot to put that "battery" in?

@Tremore said:

I had the same thing, i just powered thru the game and did none of the sidemissions.

Instantly unistalled the game once i finished and i have no plans on returning to it.

Or buying another AC game.

I like the side stuff in this and have been doing quite abit of it, granted though I will give up sooner or later and push on forward as much as possible.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@Optix12 said:

@AhmadMetallic: hmm. I am around 10 hours in now and think its still stable (framerate and the story) after sequence 6. Granted an hour or so ago I have just found what the frontier really offers the players.

I do like the additional Desmond stuff of collecting items purely to advance that crazy story, did you happen to go outside the animus in this one to talk to people/find a slot to put that "battery" in?

I'm really weirded out by how the game went from my GOTY (when I was unleashed unto the wilderness of Homestead and the Frontier I lost my mind in joy) to a boring, barely top-10 candidate, 3 hours after the wilderness action ensued. Jesus this game is weeeeird.

And I remember parachuting down a high building (Desmond) and stealing a flashy cube, I think that's what you're talking about.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By Marz

game held up for my rig, pretty much above 50FPS throughout the whole game.

2600k @4.4ghz and GTX 480

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Optix12

@AhmadMetallic: Yea i put that in spoiler block just in case people kept a news blackout like I did on this game and have still yet to pick it up. Ive only done the one but im hoping theres way more.

Yea that bit im assuming theres more of those, did you find the hole to put that flashy block into? I lucked out into doing that by searching around outside the animus

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.