Regional copies have forced translation ?

#1 Posted by Ares42 (2626 posts) -

So I fired up AC3 today only to discover that all the menus and UI is in my native language, Norwegian. I was able to change the subtitles, but can't find any way to change the other stuff. I really hate mixing Norwegian into gaming, as it tends to use a ton of poorly translated "made up" words that I actually find harder to understand than their English counterparts (probably because I'm so used to the English terms). It also feels very strange to have the juxtaposition of a game that sounds English while having all this Norwegian text around.

Does anyone know if there's any way to fix this problem ? Or have I just bought a translated copy and am completely screwed ? It sounds silly, but I feel like it's really gonna impact my entire experience with the game.

#2 Posted by Swoxx (2993 posts) -

Are you playing on the 360? If so you have to change your console locale to US/UK to get the english menues. I had this problem with Splinter Cell Conviction. So dumb.

#3 Posted by hakunin (388 posts) -

Wow, that is a supremely stupid 'feature'.

#4 Posted by deskp (448 posts) -

Yeah, I keep my language english and my locale UK in my xbox settings, that works.

#5 Posted by Rafaelfc (1333 posts) -

Halo has been like that in Brazil for years... it's insanely annoying, and in that case changing the console's region changes nothing. ugh

#6 Posted by CaLe (3964 posts) -

So the translations for Norwegian games are not done by native Norwegians? Your comment about the poor quality of the translation (and made up words) makes it sound like that.

#7 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Swoxx said:

Are you playing on the 360? If so you have to change your console locale to US/UK to get the english menues. I had this problem with Splinter Cell Conviction. So dumb.

Yupp. I ran into this with Brotherhood as well, fun stuff!

#8 Posted by Roland_D11 (189 posts) -

Halo is a 'special' case, they only put the language of the region the game is sold in on the disc. In Germany (where I live), you get german text and speech only. And the voice cast is horrible ;-).

Nearly every other game has multiple languages on the disc, the AC games are especially good with that. But to get the menus in english, you need to set your console to english and the locale to UK. Although that can lead to surprising effects when there is no english version on the disc. The version of Burnout Paradise sold here in Germany has german and french on the disc. And guess what it defaults to when your console is set to english? French, of course ;-) .

#9 Posted by Ares42 (2626 posts) -

@Swoxx: That worked, thanks =) And yes, it's terrible.

@CaLe: It's not so much that the translation is bad but games tend to use a lot of unusual words that gets translated very literally, making for very "logical" but unintuitive and complex words. Can't think of any really great examples at the moment, but words like sub-mission or waypoint aren't exactly words you tend to use much in your everyday life.

#10 Posted by AlexW00d (6240 posts) -

@Roland_D11: Ew.

#11 Posted by Swoxx (2993 posts) -

@Ares42: No problem my scandinavian brother. I know the pain of growing up with english and learning to hate your own language cause it sounds dumb.

#12 Posted by Blommer4 (195 posts) -

Just change the language on the whole PS3 to english or something. I met on this problem with a Ratchet and Clank game, where they actually SPOKE norwegian, so I changed it back then. The language or something like that. My game is in English (the whole game), and as you may have understood, I live in Norway to

#13 Posted by J12088 (447 posts) -

@CaLe said:

So the translations for Norwegian games are not done by native Norwegians? Your comment about the poor quality of the translation (and made up words) makes it sound like that.

I think it's probably more to do with the English language and words having lots of different meanings than it does with someone translating it badly. Just a guess being English it's never been a problem for me.

#14 Edited by Ares42 (2626 posts) -

@J12088 said:

@CaLe said:

I think it's probably more to do with the English language and words having lots of different meanings than it does with someone translating it badly. Just a guess being English it's never been a problem for me.

Ye, that's also part of it. A great example of that is spawning. When translated using the literal meaning of the word it just sounds very very wrong. And it's not like there's any non-English words that actually describe what it means within gaming.

#15 Posted by Wuddel (2092 posts) -

I have the same problem. I tend to buy my games from Amazon.co.uk or play.com now. Also being on PC/PS3 helps as these are mulitlangugue most of the time.

#16 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

What? There should be no other language than American, it takes place in America.

#17 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

Yup, had to change my area as UK years ago when Banjo & Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts decided it had to be in Norwegian. WHat an awful feature.

#18 Posted by Rasmoss (455 posts) -

I've actually complained to Ubisoft about their insanely awful Danish translations. They just said "thanks for bringing it to our attention". But yeah, it is so, so annoying.

#19 Posted by Vampir (137 posts) -

@Ares42 said:

@CaLe: It's not so much that the translation is bad but games tend to use a lot of unusual words that gets translated very literally, making for very "logical" but unintuitive and complex words. Can't think of any really great examples at the moment, but words like sub-mission or waypoint aren't exactly words you tend to use much in your everyday life.

If you're a native speaker of Norwegian and a gamer, you're the core audience for that translation, and if it sounds bad to you, I would still call it a bad translation. Making things sound right is just as much part of a translators job as is conveying the information.

Would it sound weird just to adopt the English terms into Norwegian? If Norwegian gamers are already familiar with the English terms, that would be my initial inkling as a translator, even if they had to be adapted to Norwegian phonetics. Japanese games do it all the time.

#20 Posted by Ares42 (2626 posts) -

@Vampir: Most people when talking about gaming here would just use Norwegian and English intermittently (hell, our languages are so similar people do it in regular conversations too), but when it comes to using our language in a proffesional manner (like reviews or translations) the proffesionals seem to have this notion that it needs to be pure. There's also a cultural divide to consider. I've grown up with being an avid gamer and gotten used to all the English terms, while my brother who's more of a casual gamer and likes to play games with his kids absolutely loves that he can get his games all translated.

As I said in my first post, most of the problem probably originates from the fact that I'm used to gaming being in English and seeing the same terms being translated just feels weird.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.