Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed III

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Oct 30, 2012

The fifth console entry in the Assassin's Creed franchise. It introduces the half-Native American, half-English Assassin Connor and is set in North America in the late eighteenth century amid the American Revolutionary War.

Should I pick up the first 4 games before picking up the 3rd?

• 64 results
    Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Hunkulese

Mass Effect 3 is disappointing? Stop listening to trolls.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@Hunkulese said:

Mass Effect 3 is disappointing? Stop listening to trolls.

The last 10 minutes are disappointing, the 30+ hours leading up to it are outstanding.

As for the OPs question:

If you're interested in the story, which is in my opinion the best thing about Assassin's Creed, then you should definitely start at the beginning. The first game is a bit rough, but 2 and brotherhood are great, with some really significant story stuff happening in brotherhood especially. Revelations is really the only one you can skip from a story standpoint, as it is basically a filler episode for the sake of pumping out another yearly sequel.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By hoossy

@Hosstile17 said:

@hoossy said:

Play 2 and Brotherhood... that's all you need

Revelations is worth playing. It does flesh out some characters and close some books on Altair and Ezio. But, yeah. 2 and Brotherhood are all that are required.

That's what youtube videos are for

Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54  Edited By Dustpan

Don't bother getting Revelations.

nh_213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By nh_213

The first one was a really long tech demo that was good in concept and in small doses, the second one and brotherhood are for some reason two of my favourite games ever (get them).

I pre-ordered the animus edition of revelations and was sadly disappointed in the product as a whole, the Altair parts (both getting and viewing the memories from the keys) were actually really awesome though and really fleshed out his character.

I can't tell you if you'd like a franchise or not dude, you've gotta give it a go yourself and see if you like it, same goes for the mass effect series, I've only played the second and while my life wasn't changed forever by my hilariously deformed shepherd engaging in space sex with sexy women I did agree that it was a very good game (not as good as Dragon Age though, weren't enough threesomes on pirate ships for my liking).

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#56  Edited By Morrow

@DarthOrange:

Best franchise of this generation. Play all of 'em. If you're gonna skip any, skip Revelations. Ironically, there aren't really any important revelations and it just hits you over the head with stuff you should have picked up in Brotherhood. You should play Mass Effect as well though. Srsly, what have you been doing for the last 5 years to miss both of them?

100% this.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#57  Edited By Wuddel

@Jimbo said:

Best franchise of this generation. Play all of 'em. If you're gonna skip any, skip Revelations. Ironically, there aren't really any important revelations and it just hits you over the head with stuff you should have picked up in Brotherhood. You should play Mass Effect as well though. Srsly, what have you been doing for the last 5 years to miss both of them?

This. Granted I haven finished Revelations yet. Critical path the first one though. Do as little as possible to advance the story. But the digital Holy Land is worth seeing.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By BlatantNinja23

The answer is yes... While I actually do really enjoy the story, you'd be fine jumping into 3 alone, but the 4 previous games are all great (and by the time cheap) it be silly not to play um. I actually really enjoyed 1 and Revelations so id still say try em if you can rent em or get em for nothing if you are still worried about it. Ya revelations has some weird stuff in it, but unless you wanna 100% the game you can avoid most of it.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#59  Edited By Sooty

Don't play the first game because it's terrible, II and Brohood are great.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#60  Edited By huntad

I'm with the people saying that you should just play 2 and call it quits right after. Nothing great really happens in Brotherhood's story until the end, but it's not like anything really leads up to it. Youtube would actually help out a great deal in that one specific spot, but the rest of the games just feel like filler after 2.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#61  Edited By Brendan

@ShadowConqueror said:

What a strange thing the game industry has become for that thread title not to be complete fucking nonsense.

Hahaha. It speaks to how used I've gotten to this craziness that I didn't even question it before you pointed it out.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#62  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @DarthOrange

I was recently going to pick up Mass Effect 1-3 but it sounds like the third one is a disappointment and worse it comes on multiple discs so I decided not to get any of them. So now I'm thinking about catching up with Assassins Creed. Do you think I should skip the first one, or the first two or should I just wait for the third one and say screw the story? Is the story any good? Please no spoilers, I may still pick these up.

Like everyone else. Play 2 and brotherhood. 1 is extremely repetitive. I almost missed out on this great franchise because of that game. Also revelations seems ok but I havent even finished it and I heard it isn't necessary too

Also Mass Effect is an incredible franchise and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. (probably my favorite franchise this gen). 3 is a fuckin amazing game as well as the other two so I highly suggest grabbing all of those
    fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#63  Edited By fox01313

Not sure about Revelations but definitely get AC2 & Brotherhood.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Hunkulese

I thought all four games were fantastic but you probably shouldn't try and play them all before ACIII if you plan on buying it this year. Even though Bro is almost undeniably better than 2 and Rev is arguably better than Bro they are way too similar to play back to back and you almost need the year off they've been giving us to cleanse the palette for another go.

I'd say you should play 1 and 2 and then don't worry about the other two. There isn't a ton of actual story stuff that you'd need for III since they like to cram it all into their crazy nonsensical preposterous endings and you can find them on youtube.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.