Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed III

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Oct 30, 2012

The fifth console entry in the Assassin's Creed franchise. It introduces the half-Native American, half-English Assassin Connor and is set in North America in the late eighteenth century amid the American Revolutionary War.

So much hate, here are my first positive impressions!

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Edin899

So like alot of you, i watched the quick look, read the reviews and saw the forum posts. I wasn't so sure about this game. I was very hyped, the new setting looked amazing and the combat was brutal.

After playing it for 3/4 hours i feel like the hype was justified.

I do have to agree with some people here that the tutorial section of the game takes a very long time. I still have not played with connor and i'm 4 hours in.

But i do love the setting. One of the early missions reminds me of a scene in the movie the Patriot. Where the lead character ambushes a patrol of redcoats with his kids.

Some of the highlights so far are.

- Love the combat expecially charging somebody with a bayonet.

- What i have experienced of the sea levels it looks amazing.

- The atmosphere in town and the surrounding area is truly unique.

- The weather and seasons changing.

I am very excited to keep playing expecially since reviewers pointed out that the early section of the game is the least exciting part of the game.

EDIT:

Also i have been playing with somebody else then desmond or connor for so long that i'm starting to think this is not Assassins creed 3

EDIT2:

It has been 6 or 7 hours, still have not played with Assasin connors, kinda getting annoyed!

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Zirilius

Overall I'm very happy with the game. I always forget how much I love this time period and I'm really like the characters as many of them are lesser known individuals of the time but played major parts in certain events (such as Charles Lee). I too haven't gotten to Conner yet but feel that I'm getting close. My one complaint is the pace at which some of the missions run at. Yes they are more cinematic now but sometimes there can be minutes between doing things.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By handlas

Think the complainers are outweighing things. I'm a fan of the series. The only one I didn't play was Revelations... just wasn't clicking with me. So far AS3 has been great. I also was surprised that I've yet to play as Connor. A good surprise I think. I like this character. I still don't really know how he figures into things tho. I'm only a couple hours in.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Zirilius

@handlas said:

Think the complainers are outweighing things. I'm a fan of the series. The only one I didn't play was Revelations... just wasn't clicking with me. So far AS3 has been great. I also was surprised that I've yet to play as Connor. A good surprise I think. I like this character. I still don't really know how he figures into things tho. I'm only a couple hours in.

It becomes pretty apparent after a certain point.

Rainbowkisses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rainbowkisses

I think a lot of the reason for the hyperbolic negative reactions this game is getting is that the series is starting to get tired. People were expecting this entry to revive the series and it seems to have fallen short of that. I wouldn't say that this game looks bad by any means, just underwhelming.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By handlas

@Zirilius said:

@handlas said:

Good to know. I was trying to like connect him being Connor's father but... ya I'm probably way off. Maybe? I don't know don't tell me!

Also, the clipping of the backpack through Desmond's back that was complained about so much in the QL (I watched a tad bit of that)... hasn't happened to me in my game. So there's that.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By altairre

I'm not to deep into it yet but so far I'm loving it (especially the very beginning everyone appears to be complaining about).

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By colourful_hippie

I'll be waiting for it to be discounted. Waiting for PC version will let me get over the hype and be more patient. Looking at footage and reviews have helped too because it looks ok, I don't see anything making me want to play it right now.

RafaelMei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By RafaelMei

Dude, that "EDIT" is pretty spoilerish =|

happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By happenstance

Im really enjoying it so far. I always had a problem with the AC games where I tended to get bored about half way through and just not complete them, no sign of that so far in 3. Im just at the point now where Ryan finished the Quick Look.

superhpio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By superhpio

but please tell me how do you enjoy the same mechanics as the first one just compiled in a new "texture package"? i loved the first one it was a revolution of the action-adventure genre. But the second one, i found boring. i actually liked the low amount of quests in the first one. since the improvement on the second one was just to add a few challenges... the animations have hardly changed even on this third opus! climbing trees... omg thats a real improvement....

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MikkaQ

I played for 8 hours yesterday, and the tutorial is still going. -removing slight spoilers-

For it to be completely linear for the first 8 hours is really frustrating. But the combat is good, so the second it really opens up I'm gonna start deeestroying Boston.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Lord_Xp

I'm glad someone finally has some good words about this game. I love the game so far. Yes the beginning is slow but very necessary in my eyes and when you finally get to play as Connor you get the feeling of accomplishment and are awarded with an immense amount of stuff to do from then on. The only problem I have is using human shields in time. It's going to be the death of me...heh. Get it? Anyways, Love the graphics, combat, naval warfare, charactars, and the frontier of course. So much to explore there.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Really loving it so far the story is so focused and well told, the people and places seem more real than the other AC games like me spending 30 minutes on the journey from England to America playing interesting board games I had never heard of. That late title card was pretty awesome. I was struggling with frame rate and found out if I uninstalled it from the harddrive it performed way better. Still in the teenage years of Connor and feel like the game has just begun and I'm like 6 hours in scaling trees and free running between them is so fucking rad. Also the time playing as the 1st character was really enjoyable it wasn't just tutorial, I started really liking the character which is probably the idea.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I actually love the first 6 hours. It's a really great build up.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Sooty

Here's what pisses me off:

6 comrades are being attacked by an assassin! Men, what do we do? I know, sir! Let's huddle around him and let him kill us one by one, while we all watch, oh and don't go using your guns, just let him kill us!

and once again, you go through hours of boring, tedious, tutorial level shit, because 4 or whatever many games into this series we still need to know how everything works all over again.

I'm done with this series, so glad I didn't buy it. (no I didn't pirate it) Now it's time for more Natural Selection 2, that game is actually something fresh.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@Zirilius said:

@handlas said:

Honestly I think it's just going to be the response to every game release, has been so far this year.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By GunstarRed

@Sooty said:

6 comrades are being attacked by an assassin! Men, what do we do? I know, sir! Let's huddle around him and let him kill us one by one, while we all watch, oh and don't go using your guns, just let him kill us!

This is untrue. Very often they will attack all at the same time, sometimes three or four counter options pop up, and they fire guns ALL the time.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Only played about an hour, but I can say that the atmosphere is amazing.

I haven't played an AC game since 2 (didn't finish it btw) though, so I hope I can still enjoy the story.

Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Jazzycola

So much hate? What hate? As far as, I've read the game is getting generally favorable reviews.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @Sooty

and once again, you go through hours of boring, tedious, tutorial level shit, because 4 or whatever many games into this series we still need to know how everything works all over again.

I'm done with this series, so glad I didn't buy it. (no I didn't pirate it) Now it's time for more Natural Selection 2, that game is actually something fresh.

Except not only is the combat better and more challenging in this, but the enemies regularly line up and shoot you while your being attacked by others. They really improved that aspect of the game. Simply countering doesn't work at all anymore.
    Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Colourful_Hippie said:
    I'll be waiting for it to be discounted. Waiting for PC version will let me get over the hype and be more patient. Looking at footage and reviews have helped too because it looks ok, I don't see anything making me want to play it right now.
    Aren't the PC versions of Assassin's Creed games usually way worse?
    Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By colourful_hippie

@Turtlebird95: Where did you hear that? The only problem with the PC AC games was the always online DRM bullshit they had. The game itself was fine.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@Turtlebird95: Where did you hear that? The only problem with the PC AC games was the always online DRM bullshit they had. The game itself was fine.

Shit whoops. For some reason I remember the PC version receiving lower review scores and now when I look it up, it is indeed because of the DRM shit. Sorry about that.
    audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By audiosnow

I've never liked the series, but open combat in this one looks not only frustration and tedium-free, but actually enjoyable!

And I know I'm a sucker for snow, but the Quick Look environment looked great!

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By _Zombie_

@GunstarRed said:

@Sooty said:

This is untrue. Very often they will attack all at the same time, sometimes three or four counter options pop up, and they fire guns ALL the time.

They'll also fall back and fire on you. It's happened to me several times.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Genkkaku

@zombiebigfoot said:

@GunstarRed said:

@Sooty said:

They'll also fall back and fire on you. It's happened to me several times.

I had 2 guys stab at me at once and then I double countered and killed them both.. it was awesome

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PillClinton

Yeah, I don't know. I'm still pumped for the eventual PC version. I really don't get the generally negative view of AC3 around here. What, just 'cause Ryan did a shit job piloting the QL, and a little bug that's easily remedied by a quick reload, the game's disappointing, or even 'shit,' as I saw some people say? I don't get it. It's more Assassin's Creed in a new setting. For me, that's plenty.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.