So, yeah, just lost my save... [Early game spoilers!]

#1 Posted by JoeyRavn (4948 posts) -

It was last night, actually. I started the game, as always, but it crashed in the loading screen (where you run around with Desmond, but not throw sand...). I booted up the game again and my save had been corrupted, completely unsalvageable. And uPlay had backed up my save to the cloud after it had become unusable... awesome.

I didn't lose much progress, though. I was just starting Sequence 6, but now I have to redo the 10-hour prologue. Which means I have to play as Haytham and redo all the petty missions until Connor finally becomes a full-fledged Assassin. And that's grand.

#2 Posted by Nightriff (4908 posts) -

I'm confused on why you would have to redo the prologue if it saved your progress several sequences in.

#3 Posted by Ghostiet (5222 posts) -

You sure? ACIII and Liberation had a bug where the save would register as corrupted until you completely turned off the game (on PC, that includes the uPlay launcher).

#4 Posted by Mnemoidian (955 posts) -

10 hour prologue? I don't remember it being much longer than 2-3 hours, and I thought I was playing slowly... no reason to play slowly on a second playthrough of those parts either - I believe the almanack pages are all available in later time periods anyway?

#5 Posted by BoOzak (880 posts) -

@Mnemoidian said:

10 hour prologue? I don't remember it being much longer than 2-3 hours, and I thought I was playing slowly... no reason to play slowly on a second playthrough of those parts either - I believe the almanack pages are all available in later time periods anyway?

It was a lot longer than 3 hours if you include all the cutscenes and slow plodding scripted sequences.

I dont know if I could go through all that again. Good luck to you.

#6 Posted by JoeyRavn (4948 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

I'm confused on why you would have to redo the prologue if it saved your progress several sequences in.

Because the file is corrupted and can't be read by the game? It doesn't matter if I was at the first or the last sequence. The save file became unusable by the game, so I have to redo everything I had done before.

@Ghostiet said:

You sure? ACIII and Liberation had a bug where the save would register as corrupted until you completely turned off the game (on PC, that includes the uPlay launcher).

Yeah, I tried relaunching uPlay and the game, but nothing changed. The save file was still corrupted and the game couldn't read it.

@Mnemoidian said:

Well, yeah, maybe I was being a bit hyperbolic: when I say "10" hours, maybe it was actually "8". Trying to get Full Sync on everything, I had to redo some missions a couple of times. And with the cutscenes and some idling, it could have well been 10 hours. But, you know, by "prologue" I mean all that happens until Connor finally gets his Assassin threads. Everything until that moment is a tutorial, in one way or another, and until that point you're not really given much freedom to go out and explore the world. At least, there's not much to do in if you decide to do it anyway, though.

I'll skip all the cutscenes and blaze through the first four sequences this time.

#7 Posted by Mnemoidian (955 posts) -

@JoeyRavn: Fair enough, I was counting the "prologue" as the bit before Connor.

My fault for missing that part of your original post!

#8 Posted by JoeyRavn (4948 posts) -

Oh. Come. On. You can't be serious. Again. I lost my fucking save AGAIN.

I played until Connor goes to Boston yesterday during TNT. I start the game again today, it crashes right after loading my save. I start the game again, crashes again, but this time it makes my whole computer reboot on its own. Boot the game a third time, my save is gone. It's not even corrupted, it's completely gone. I can't believe this shit. I had never had any problem like this one with any other game.

I don't think I'll be able to go through everything again. It's just way too much filler and dragging narrative to play a third time.

#9 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

Let it go. Play a better game. Go play a better Murder Simulator... like Hotline Miami.

#10 Edited by JoeyRavn (4948 posts) -

@Kyreo said:

Let it go. Play a better game. Go play a better Murder Simulator... like Hotline Miami.

I want to play this game, I love the series... but it's getting really, really, really painful to do so. Since I lost my save, I've reinstalled the game twice (once on my E: drive, now on my C: drive), but I'm still getting constant crashes. I'm not the only one, really. There's a 10-page thread over the Ubisoft forums with people complaining about the same problems.

I curse the day that I decided to switch from 360 to PC. I'm mainly a PC gamer, but I had played all 4 of the previous Assassin's Creeds on 360. No issues whatsoever. I thought that I would take advantage of my PC... but the shit I'm having to go through is just not worth it.

Edit: OK, after testing a bit, it seems the crashes have been solved by upping the core voltage of my GPU (a GTX 570) to 1.100v. It seems the 500 Series has some issues with DX11 games that somehow make the GPU underclock itself and crash... or something on those lines.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.