Ubisoft thinks you're boring.

  • 86 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by bighat_logan (182 posts) -

Well more the Creative director behind Assassin's Creed 3, thinks you're boring. At PAX he said in a interview that World War 2 and Feudal Japan are the two settings fans most want to see a AC game in. Creative director behind Assassin's Creed 3 thinks you're boring for suggesting such things. Yes those settings have been done to death, but not in Assassin's Creed games. I personally think those two settings would be great, but so does early America.

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (35805 posts) -

Would you mind providing a link? Because otherwise, this sounds like a perversion of what he was actually saying.

#3 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:

Would you mind providing a link? Because otherwise, this sounds like a perversion of what he was actually saying.

Sounds more like he thinks the settings are boring to use over and over. 
#4 Posted by Video_Game_King (35805 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man:

Exactly.

#5 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:

@The_Laughing_Man:

Exactly.

I like the settings mostly because of the awesome buildings and amazing vistas. 
#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (35805 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@The_Laughing_Man:

Exactly.

#7 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

when has feudal japan been done over and over. the only game that comes to mind is that yakuaza game set in feudal japan.

#8 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@The_Laughing_Man:

Exactly.

@Video_Game_King said:

@The_Laughing_Man:

Exactly.

@Video_Game_King said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@The_Laughing_Man:

Exactly.

#9 Edited by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

I would agree about world war 2 being done to death at this point but at the same time I wouldn't mind seeing assassin's creed's take on it. As for Japan i guess that would be ok?

#10 Posted by Video_Game_King (35805 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

I would agree about world war 2 being done to death at this point but at the same time I wouldn't mind seeing assassin's creed's take on it.

Then why not play that one mission in LA Noire? You know the one.

#11 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

The characters in Feudal Japan would have terrible accents

#12 Posted by bighat_logan (182 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:

Would you mind providing a link? Because otherwise, this sounds like a perversion of what he was actually saying.

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/there-is-no-bubble
 
@SlightConfuse said:

when has feudal japan been done over and over. the only game that comes to mind is that yakuaza game set in feudal japan.


All of the Tenchu, way or the samurai, way of the ninja, samurai warriors, Nobonaga's Ambition games and  Kessen 1 and 3
#13 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@laserbolts said:

I would agree about world war 2 being done to death at this point but at the same time I wouldn't mind seeing assassin's creed's take on it.

Then why not play that one mission in LA Noire? You know the one.

There was a WW2 mission in LA Noire? Forgive me for not remembering shit all about that game but I can't remember a WW2 level for the life of me.

#14 Posted by Video_Game_King (35805 posts) -

@laserbolts:

The entire game takes place after WW2. In fact, there are flashbacks to Cole's time in the war.

#15 Posted by Dalai (6978 posts) -

There are a lot of periods and locations that get no love. You rarely see a game set in colonial America... or America at any time before World War II for that matter. Dude's right.

#16 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@laserbolts:

The entire game takes place after WW2. In fact, there are flashbacks to Cole's time in the war.

Ahh yes I know that I thought you were talking about there being a mission where you actually played the game in a WW 2 setting. Sort of like Mafia 2.

#17 Edited by Jrinswand (1695 posts) -

Why are we talking about this now? He made that statement like a month ago. He's already clarified what he meant by it and everything.
 
Edit: I haven't played an Assassin's Creed since Brotherhood, but I think Revolutionary War era is going to be freaking great. I've just recently brushed up on my early American history because I had to teach an Early American Lit class. PROTIP: Don't ask your students when Ben Franklin was the president.

#18 Posted by Video_Game_King (35805 posts) -

@laserbolts:

Well, aren't you, sort of? I imagine you could get out of LA Noire quite a bit of what you'd want in Assassin's Creed: Take Down Them Nazis. I know that would never be the name, but dear god, I wish it was.

#19 Edited by bighat_logan (182 posts) -
@Jrinswand said:

Why are we talking about this now? He made that statement like a month ago. He's already clarified what he meant by it and everything.

because i just saw it and there was no thread about it already.
#20 Posted by Video_Game_King (35805 posts) -

@bighat_logan said:

There's no stabbing in LA Noire.

@Video_Game_King said:

@laserbolts:

Well, aren't you, sort of? I imagine you could get out of LA Noire quite a bit of what you'd want in Assassin's Creed: Take Down Them Nazis. I know that would never be the name, but dear god, I wish it was.

#21 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@laserbolts:

Well, aren't you, sort of? I imagine you could get out of LA Noire quite a bit of what you'd want in Assassin's Creed: Take Down Them Nazis. I know that would never be the name, but dear god, I wish it was.

I guess yeah but the main thing I think about when wanting assassin's creed in a particular setting is how they would handle the traversal and stealthy aspects of it. I mean you take those things out of assassin's creed and i'm not really sure what you're left with.

#22 Posted by bighat_logan (182 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: nope
#23 Posted by Video_Game_King (35805 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

I mean you take those things out of assassin's creed and i'm not really sure what you're left with.

Any given Disney movie?

@bighat_logan said:

@Video_Game_King: nope

Why? I said some, not all.

#24 Edited by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Actually now the more I think about it the more Japan sounds like it would be pretty awesome. Hopping around with a katana ninjaing shit up. Either that or WW2 seems more interesting than what they are going with for AC3. Will have to wait and see how it turns out. The way they are milking this series though i'm sure we will see it all by the end.

#25 Posted by adoggz (2035 posts) -

Shit guys, Ubisoft is right. I pretty much just go to school or sit arouond and browse the internet/ play games. I AM boring. They coulda said it in a gentler way though. Feudal Japan would be a cool place for an AC game though.

#26 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

I'm glad they went with the setting they did, I would've been way less excited if it was WW2 or Feudal Japan.

#27 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

Feudal Japan am boring. Give me Feudal Botswana instead. Or post industrial Bratislava.

#28 Posted by Brendan (7666 posts) -

Feudal Japan is just so obvious that it wraps all the way around and becomes uninteresting. Everything about is just so "Duh". A stealth game in an unexpected setting like the revolutionary period of American history? Now that perks up my interest, because I want to see how they're going to work with that material. Good on Ubisoft.

Also, most of us are pretty boring, even if that's not even what the guy meant when he said that.

#29 Posted by Pr1mus (3777 posts) -
#30 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Fuck Feudal Japan and WW2.

I really could not give two shits about early US history, but I also didn't give two shits about renaissance Italy and that turned out well enough.

But freaking Japan and WW2? Because we haven't seen enough of those, why don't we demand they set the next game during a near-future war between America and Russia?

#31 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Shame they rather shy away from redefining a 'so called cliche'.

#32 Posted by DystopiaX (5291 posts) -

@bighat_logan: He's kind of right.

Also think WWII is too late for stabbing dudes/no serious gunplay. Would have loved japan though.

#33 Posted by SgtGrumbles (1024 posts) -

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

Fuck Feudal Japan and WW2. I really could not give two shits about early US history, but I also didn't give two shits about renaissance Italy and that turned out well enough. But freaking Japan and WW2? Because we haven't seen enough of those, why don't we demand they set the next game during a near-future war between America and Russia?

Just had a cool idea, how about a game set in New York City or a city modelled on New York City.

#34 Posted by deerokus (531 posts) -

The Saboteur is basically WW2 Assassin's Creed. It's not very good, mind you.

French Revolution is the one I really want to see.

#35 Posted by CrazyBagMan (834 posts) -

What a racist!

#36 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

I was really hoping for French Resistance of WW2. That specific aspect of WW2 has barely been touched.

#37 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1544 posts) -

As someone who didn't suggest either of these locations, they do not think I'm boring.

@MariachiMacabre said:

I was really hoping for French Resistance of WW2. That specific aspect of WW2 has barely been touched.

Wasn't The Saboteur based in France?

#38 Posted by JasonR86 (9582 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@The_Laughing_Man:

Exactly.

@Video_Game_King said:

@The_Laughing_Man:

Exactly.

@Video_Game_King said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@The_Laughing_Man:

Exactly.

#39 Posted by hoossy (932 posts) -

I think people only got on the feudal japan boat because it was a rumored location/time period. I was on the boat btw.

sorry for being boring Ubisoft, please still take my money

#40 Posted by JasonR86 (9582 posts) -
#41 Posted by Hailinel (23677 posts) -

As overdone as World War II is, the World War II stage of Clock Tower 3 was pretty crazy.

#42 Posted by Landon (4127 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@Pr1mus said:

Here's the link for the actual article.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/40413/ubisoft-ww2-japan-and-egypt-are-the-three-worst-settings-for-an-assassins-creed-game/

That article sucks (that's not your fault but it really does). What was he reasoning for saying those settings are bad? It's hard to have an opinion on a person's...well, opinion unless we understand the rationale for the opinion.

Ninjas are overused, no one wants to go back to WW2, and I assume there is nothing fun to climb in Egypt.

#43 Posted by iAmJohn (6107 posts) -

Dude whatever, even if this quote was taken out of context, he's totally right.

Online
#44 Posted by Milkman (16481 posts) -

It's true...I am. :(

#45 Posted by Jay_Ray (1069 posts) -

1880's London/Paris would be bad ass, maybe have Sherlock Holmes in there too.

#46 Posted by ez123 (1944 posts) -

Ubi, I said the American Revolution was boring and uninteresting the day it was announced. You can't "I know you are but what am I" me months later. Come on, bro.

Online
#47 Posted by UltimAXE (365 posts) -

Nobody wants Assassin's Creed in feudal Japan. They just want a ninja game with Assassin's Creed's engine.

#48 Posted by JasonR86 (9582 posts) -

@Landon said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Pr1mus said:

Here's the link for the actual article.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/40413/ubisoft-ww2-japan-and-egypt-are-the-three-worst-settings-for-an-assassins-creed-game/

That article sucks (that's not your fault but it really does). What was he reasoning for saying those settings are bad? It's hard to have an opinion on a person's...well, opinion unless we understand the rationale for the opinion.

Ninjas are overused, no one wants to go back to WW2, and I assume there is nothing fun to climb in Egypt.

I know that's what we're all thinking but I want to hear straight from the developer.

#49 Posted by foggel (2763 posts) -

I feel like Assassins Creed is the kind of games that explore time periods that are otherwise not explored in games. Setting the game in 1944 would break with this idea.

#50 Edited by damswedon (3173 posts) -

Only setting I would like to see at some point is Tudor England. But that would have to be a spin-off with a new protagonist completely (no Desmond).

Or maybe in the Russian Civil War.

Online

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.