Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed III

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Oct 30, 2012

The fifth console entry in the Assassin's Creed franchise. It introduces the half-Native American, half-English Assassin Connor and is set in North America in the late eighteenth century amid the American Revolutionary War.

Ubisoft thinks you're boring.

• 86 results
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Ghostiet

A WW2 setting would be tough to pull off mechanically, unless you'd just go Saboteur and give us occupied France and Poland, but that's kind of played (although to see Assassins during the Warsaw Uprising would be badass). Feudal Japan seemed to be foreshadowed by "Embers" and I'm kinda sad that wasn't the case. I was hoping for a female protagonist.

My TOP one, however, would be ANCIENT ROME. Just think of that. Julius Caesar. Brutus. Caligula. Nero. Jesus Christ.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By Wuddel

As the US is dominant in the production of video games, most north american settings are overused. I would have preferred a setting in europe. Even the French Revolution and the Napoleonic area has not been used much in character action games.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#53  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Ghostiet said:

My TOP one, however, would be ANCIENT ROME. Just think of that. Julius Caesar. Brutus. Caligula. Nero. Jesus Christ.

Ignoring the fact that you'd have to tell Father Time to eat a dick to get any of that to work, and that this would inevitably piss off religious groups (whom I understand to be a powerful political force in the Americas), and that Rome has already been done in Assassin's Creed, this isn't a very good idea.

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
    whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

@foggel said:

I feel like Assassins Creed is the kind of games that explore time periods that are otherwise not explored in games. Setting the game in 1944 would break with this idea.
    No Caption Provided

You probably only play mainstream console games if you think that.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#55  Edited By Vorbis

I'm pretty sure everyone was saying Victorian London, interesting he didn't mention that one.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Video_Game_King said:

@Ghostiet said:

Ignoring the fact that you'd have to tell Father Time to eat a dick to get any of that to work, and that this would inevitably piss off religious groups (whom I understand to be a powerful political force in the Americas), and that Rome has already been done in Assassin's Creed, this isn't a very good idea.

"Jesus Christ" was a cry, not an example of a character from history that could appear. And the difference between Rome in the 1400s and Rome of that time is kind of obvious, not to mention that it was a whole damn empire back then.

Assassin's Creed has a batshit crazy, bullshit overarching plot that includes aliens and space magic at every step. If they're going that route already, they might go the full mile. Also, seeing the struggles between Assassins and Templars before their orders became clearly defined could be interesting.

plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By plaintomato

@JasonR86 said:

@Pr1mus said:

Here's the link for the actual article.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/40413/ubisoft-ww2-japan-and-egypt-are-the-three-worst-settings-for-an-assassins-creed-game/

That article sucks (that's not your fault but it really does). What was he reasoning for saying those settings are bad? It's hard to have an opinion on a person's...well, opinion unless we understand the rationale for the opinion.

If every game was based on poling data I wouldn't be a gamer. Relying on feedback from the masses sounds like a great way to make an average game.

Maybe it can help fix a few broken problems by looking for what everybody hates, but if you're looking for what everybody likes and trying to make that you'd just end up with a formulaic POS...we already have plenty of those. And plenty of WWII and ninja games.

Welding

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Welding

Adolf Hitler is a templar. Think about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I really wonder why so few games are set in the 70s? It's the darkest period of post-war America, the most open to all the conflicts video games love. But instead you mostly see games in the 80s because check it out, pastels.

50s were Father Knows Best and Leave it to Beaver, 60s was the Summer of Love and hippiedom, 70s is Watergate, Vietnam, gas shortages and serial murderers, 80s is Wall Street and eyefucking colors, 90s is disaffection and apathy and our time is the rise of Skynet.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#60  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

He's got a point.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#61  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I think the title here is way out of context, Hutchinson didn't say anyone was boring, he simply said that those ideas were boring, and if we're really offended by the fact that someone might have a different opinion to us on what are good settings for video games, then something is very wrong. Personally, I think it's great to see such a senior person in a big corporation like this running with their own ideas instead of falling back on the whole "What's the mainstream opinion on what should come next?" idea.

I can't say I understand why he thinks feudal Japan is boring but that's fine, as for WWII I don't know how you'd begin to make AC work alongside that, and yes, there have been way too many video games done in that era. For me it doesn't matter if the AC mechanics haven't been wrapped around WWII thematics before, I think just having those thematics alone starts to make things seem unimaginative and derivative to some degree, when there's so many other places you could go with it.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#62  Edited By Undeadpool

...World War 2 IS boring, he isn't wrong! Besides, World War I fits far more in the AC tone AND would have the added benefit of being a setting that almost never gets touched on in modern games (I can think of Eternal Darkness and...that's it. At least for the relative mainstream).

Feudal Japan might've been interesting, but we've already seen numerous Tenchu games that it would just be accused of being a knock-off of. I agree with the dev: those suggestions are BORING.

Flawed_System

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Flawed_System

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@The_Laughing_Man:

Exactly.

I like the settings mostly because of the awesome buildings and amazing vistas.

Yeah, imagine climbing up those buildings. I think Revolutionary America is a good idea too, but a majority of the Native Americans fought on the British side, not American.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#64  Edited By Klei

Feudal Japan? World War 2? Fuck off with those boring, done-as-death eras. I'll take my colonial america anyday.

MoseSSesoM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By MoseSSesoM

I am boring.

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By ltsmash

@Wuddel said:

As the US is dominant in the production of video games, most north american settings are overused. I would have preferred a setting in europe. Even the French Revolution and the Napoleonic area has not been used much in character action games.

Given the time period of AC III, I don't see why they couldn't have old Connor offing dudes in Revolutionary/Napoleonic Paris in AC III.5

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#67  Edited By Jrinswand
    @Flawed_System said:

@Jrinswand said:

Why are we talking about this now? He made that statement like a month ago. He's already clarified what he meant by it and everything. Edit: I haven't played an Assassin's Creed since Brotherhood, but I think Revolutionary War era is going to be freaking great. I've just recently brushed up on my early American history because I had to teach an Early American Lit class. PROTIP: Don't ask your students when Ben Franklin was the president.

Lol, I can only imagine.

I actually thought it was pretty funny. I figured that he is on hundred dollar bills, so surely he had to have been the president at some point, right? As it turns out, no.
    foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By foggel
    @whyareyoucrouchingspock said:

@foggel said:

I feel like Assassins Creed is the kind of games that explore time periods that are otherwise not explored in games. Setting the game in 1944 would break with this idea.
    No Caption Provided

You probably only play mainstream console games if you think that.

Oh dear, you read my post as "never explored before ever" didn't you.
    Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#69  Edited By Kazona

The creative director from Ubisoft is right.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By BBQBram

I agree that making the assassin a ninja would the most obvious and boring thing to do. The core of this franchise is putting a ninja-esque twist to any period of history. Putting that into Japan loses that completely. I would have liked to see the French revolution, personally, but I can understand why they'd go with this setting; the wilderness lends itself to changing up the gameplay some.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#71  Edited By Bollard

To be honest I couldn't possibly imagine how he thinks early America is more interesting than Feudal Japan. That's not even close in my mind... Plus I don't know who in the hell suggested WW2 but they're insane and wrong. Ancient Egypt however would be fucking insane.

Mike76x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Mike76x

@Gamer_152 said:

I think the title here is way out of context, Hutchinson didn't say anyone was boring, he simply said that those ideas were boring, and if we're really offended by the fact that someone might have a different opinion to us on what are good settings for video games, then something is very wrong. Personally, I think it's great to see such a senior person in a big corporation like this running with their own ideas instead of falling back on the whole "What's the mainstream opinion on what should come next?" idea.

I can't say I understand why he thinks feudal Japan is boring but that's fine, as for WWII I don't know how you'd begin to make AC work alongside that, and yes, there have been way too many video games done in that era. For me it doesn't matter if the AC mechanics haven't been wrapped around WWII thematics before, I think just having those thematics alone starts to make things seem unimaginative and derivative to some degree, when there's so many other places you could go with it.

The Saboteur, was an Assassin's Creed take-off in WW2 and it kicked ass.

It even had an Indiana Jones/Assassin's Creed moment then went nowhere.

ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#73  Edited By ahgunsillyo

At this point, anybody who demands MORE games set in WWII rather than less deserves to be called boring, and setting a character action game revolving around traversal and stealth would inevitably lead to ninjas. There are already enough ninja (and ninja stealth) games out there if I needed my fix of that type of game.

The Assassin's Creed games have been rather successful at taking place during time periods not usually seen in games, and though we've seen the American Revolution in a few games, they've often been RTS games that have you controlling an entire army as opposed to seeing a single character's personal journey through it. I'm excited for it. You get to roll with George Washington and Ben Franklin, for cripe's sake. I really wouldn't have minded the French Revolution, though.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#74  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

@Mike76x: I dunno, the overall consensus on that game seemed to be that it was just alright.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well, he is right about people being a tad boring for suggestion WWII over and over again - feudal Japan not so much (although that wouldn't surprise anyone if they went there). I like the setting of they went with in the end for ACIII, it's not a setting we see too often, and when we see it it is almost always in some kind of RTS game.

@Gamer_152: The Saboteur was just alright for the most part - but it was still very enjoyable and it did have some great moments. If you have any interest in playing an Assassin's Creed-esque game set in WWII, then I would say it certainly is worth picking up.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By ShadyPingu

Dude's right. WWII is inarguably overdone, and the fetishization of Japanese culture is already prevalent enough in video games.

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#77  Edited By Dylabaloo

World War 2, how about World War 1?

Mike76x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Mike76x

@Gamer_152: It certainly lacked the polish of an AC game, and was really glitchy at times.

I think most of the complaints were due to technical issues, not the setting.

Definitely an underrated classic.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Jrinswand
    @Flawed_System said:

You get any creative responses? Or just a bunch of confused looks? I wish my Professors were as fun.

Haha! Most of them just looked at me like "Are you serious?" It probably would have helped if I had read the text that I was teaching that day, The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin. I can't say that it's a moment I'm proud of. However, it's not really something that bothers me either. I don't have anything to prove to my students, just my professors.

It could have gone a lot worse than it did. When you fuck up as a teacher, it can go a couple of ways. Either their trust in your capabilities are permanently shattered, leaving them apathetic to anything that you say thereafter, or you (the teacher who has made a mistake) can play it off laughingly and it sort of humbles you in the eyes of the students. Instead of seeing you as an idiot, they'll see you as somebody who is also a regular person doing the best he/she can, just like them.

I like to think that it went the second way.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Got to agree that WW2 and Feudal Japan are pretty lame.  I always wanted the French Revolution, China during the Opium Wars, and Chicago during the prohibition.   Something about Assassins and Templars in America during the first half of the 20th century seems really awesome.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By NegativeCero

Says the company who has been putting out a game in the franchise every year. Sick burn, amirite?

But I would have also like the French Revolution. There were so much executions and so much paranoia at that time that it would've been perfect.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#82  Edited By MezZa

He's right. Well, about the WW2 setting at least. I'm a sucker for older japanese culture so I wouldn't mind feudal japan.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#83  Edited By Trilogy

Yea, world war 2 wouldn't make much sense and like some of you, The Saboteur was the first thing I thought of so it's not like it's never been done before. Feudal Japan, French Resolution, or even Ancient Egypt could all be awesome settings for future games but I'm REALLY fucking excited for Colonial America.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By korwin

He's right, neither of those options are terribly creative points in history for the franchise. However the Boxer Rebellion in China during the late 19th early 20th century would be perfect.

C_Cage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By C_Cage

Sure those options aren't very creative but neither was having 3 games about Ezio. Yeah he was likeable and all but I never though he was THAT interesting.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By MikeGosot

World War I and Haiti Independence needs more love. I don't believe there is a SINGLE game about the Haiti Independence.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.