Ubisoft unveils box art for ACIII

• 105 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

Posted not 4 minutes ago by the Assassin's Creed Facebook page, the box art for ACIII

Confirms the American Revolution setting (but you already knew that) and continues to hint heavily that the protagonist is Native American (again, not exactly new). Overall, I think it's a pretty damn cool bit of art, and definitely the best box art in the series.

Thoughts?

#2 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

That is hot as hell. That hatchet!

#3 Posted by lclay (383 posts) -

Um, fucking awesome.

#4 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

@Dany:

Yep. I'm really excited to see what kinds of new gadgets and weaponry will get implemented wit the new setting. We already know hatchets, a bow and arrow, muskets and of course the hidden blade, but I wonder what else they've got cooked up for the new protagonist.

#5 Edited by Chemin (633 posts) -

SNOW!

...not

or is it?

#6 Posted by cap123 (2477 posts) -

I thought the Native Americans were pro-british red coats, get off of him!

#7 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

@Chemin:

Looks like snow to me!

#8 Posted by Demoskinos (15097 posts) -

If I can throw hatchets at dudes then I'm so in.

#9 Posted by Deathmachine117 (377 posts) -

I dont know if it confirms as of yet hes Native American, they could be just copying the Patriot and giving him a tomahawk.

#10 Posted by Drebin_893 (2926 posts) -

Damn, son. Kind of disappointed, but let's do this.

#11 Edited by cap123 (2477 posts) -

Due to the lack of loads of tall stuff to climb on, I wonder if there will be other forms of stealth to do with the snowy weather (and your white clothes) and more indepth mixing into crowds, or even say, mixing into the crowds of a battlefield.

#12 Posted by AlexW00d (6385 posts) -

Eurgh. Why not a location with some culture and actual history? What a let down.

#13 Posted by Zephyria (59 posts) -

I wonder if they'll take an approach like Metal Gear Solid 4 was to the rest of Metal Gear Solid, using battlefield tactics for stealth and attack in the midst of clashing armies.

#14 Edited by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

looks awesome cant wait to kill some british bastards

love the american revolution,

#15 Posted by MentalDisruption (1662 posts) -

Hell yes. After Brotherhood I was starting to get tired of Italy and Ezio. One image and my excitement for the series has returned.

#16 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -

Some day we'll get a full blown Desmond game, right?... Right guys? 

I still want this though.

#17 Posted by FriskyHeadCrab (41 posts) -

Man. Can't wait to end the series...

And by end the series, I of course mean endure another trilogy within a trilogy.

#18 Edited by Jimbo (9931 posts) -
@Chemin said:

SNOW!

...not

or is it?

Yeah it looked like snow in that other picture of the character too. Valley Forge was pretty chilly, right?

Edit: I think it's an awesome piece of boxart, but the potential GO AMERICA WOOOO!ness of it is a bit disconcerting. And it doesn't exactly scream 'assassin' either; it screams Assassin's Creed Dynasty Warriors: Black Ops.
#19 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4867 posts) -

Speaking as a Native Canadian, I am swollen with joy at this news. We don't get protagonists very often (and it's sad when Turok and Tommy from Prey are both centered on shaming/guilt of their culture), so this looks fucking great to me.

Man. I cannot WAIT for this.

#20 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

valley forge!

#21 Posted by bwheeeler (474 posts) -

God, fuck. I thought that I wouldn't be getting excited for this game, but...Jesus.

#22 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

@Zephyria:

That's what I was thinking. Early Colonial America isn't exactly known for towering structures or sprawling metropolises, so I wouldn't be surprised if the mechanics of this game differ wildly from the past games in the series.

#23 Edited by HyperionXR (277 posts) -

Glorious. The American Revolution kicks ass, and is a fresh setting for both the series and games in general. I just hope they can add some new and interesting mechanics.

P.S. If you don't find the revolution interesting, YOU are a let down.

#24 Edited by Cronus42 (276 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

Eurgh. Why not a location with some culture and actual history? What a let down.

What? Regardless of your stances on the US, I'm pretty sure that the formation of the country is considered "actual history."

Also the character might be Native American, that's deffinately a standout culture.

#25 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4847 posts) -

Dammit. I love Assassin's Creed but what a completely uninteresting setting they've chosen this time!

#26 Posted by Commisar123 (1798 posts) -

Well I guess that settles it then

#27 Edited by Animasta (14718 posts) -

seems dumb, unless he works for the british instead of the americans.

#28 Posted by MikkaQ (10330 posts) -

Is that the cover they'll use to sell the game in England too? A dude just fucking a redcoat up can't be sending the best message. Someone, somewhere is going to whine about it.

#29 Edited by Jaytow (703 posts) -

@Animasta: It's the American revolution. If you're not lying about it then you're not doing it properly.

#30 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

Is that the cover they'll use to sell the game in England too? A dude just fucking a redcoat up can't be sending the best message. Someone, somewhere is going to whine about it.

Nah, even we know the Red Coats were the biggest dicks back then.

Still, let's hope the games not totally AMERICA, FREEDOM, YEAH.

#31 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

Damn, I thought it was fake. This looks interesting.

#32 Posted by MachoFantastico (4860 posts) -

Feeling a little 'meh' about it but willing to give them a chance.

#33 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

@Vorbis said:

@MikkaQ said:

george washington was the biggest dick back then :|

#34 Posted by AlexW00d (6385 posts) -

@Cronus42 said:

@AlexW00d said:

What? Regardless of your stances on the US, I'm pretty sure that the formation of the country is considered "actual history."

Also the character might be Native American, that's deffinately a standout culture.

I don't know if you've played any of the previous games, but they were all set in locations with a certain aesthetic appeal; the US during the 18th century isn't going to be much more than wooden shanties and the like, and if the new protagonist is of a Native tribe, whilst that'd be cool, the architecture is still going to be boring.

And at that time, the British colonies that stood on the coast were pretty young, and nothing of real note had even happened there, except for the mass murder of thousands of innocent natives.

I understand how it would be an easy go to because of Britain vs newborn America would be good for the protagonist to get involved with, most likely calling out the British as Templars to gain favour and sell well in the US, it just doesn't have the cultural depth as Renaissance Italy did, and that was half the point of the game for me.

#35 Posted by Barrock (3551 posts) -

So psyched.

By the way, am I the only one that doesn't really want a Desmond game? I find the different time line periods to be incredibly interesting. The future? Not as much.

#36 Posted by Harkat (1106 posts) -

@Vorbis said:

@MikkaQ said:

That was my fear too. But considering the series has been pretty careful about big stuff like that (I.e. the religious stuff in AC1), I'm hopeful.

#37 Posted by Hailinel (25201 posts) -

Are we sure he's actually Native American and not just a white guy that's learned tricks of the trade from Native Americans?

#38 Posted by N7 (3658 posts) -

Also, I don't know if you guys ever realized, but the Assassin's Creed logo has never been symmetrical. It's always been bolder on one side. It appears they've fixed that now.

I think this is going to be a big one. The implications behind this game are immense.

#39 Posted by OtakuGamer (1278 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

I guess if the game involved killing Americans, which of course would be catastrophic, it wouldn't sell. So, if it was the other way round, it would sell because "AWESOME, AMERICANS RULE" mentality yadaya moving on.

Getting to the point, I think no-one really cares outside of America because there used to it.

#40 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

I haven't had much interest in the series, thanks to the ridiculous amount of sequels..

But this is pretty damn cool.

#41 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

@Hailinel: judging by this cover i would say he is a native american.

Also just noticed his ax is the assassins logo

#42 Posted by Maajin (1079 posts) -

Oh, man! I'm loving how they incorporated the blue along with the traditional white and red. That's looking amazing.

#43 Posted by MachoFantastico (4860 posts) -

Fascinated to see how they portray the British, going to be weird jumping and running about stabbing British solders for me. Always wondered how Russians feel when they are the ones always portrayed as the bad guys in games, especially having to go around shooting them in the face. A strange concept indeed. Still, should at least be interesting. They'll probably do the same 'all evil' approach with the British that Ubi have done with the other games villainous nations.

That said, people saying this move is to just please American audiences are talking absolute crap. There's been a few links to this era for a while now, hell Assassins' Creed 2 before it was announced was rumored heavily to be set in the American Revolution.

#44 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

@Hailinel:

Not sure. I'd surmise it's most likely he's only part Native American, if he is at all. He does seem to have darker skin and features that would suggest he isn't 100% Anglo-Saxon, but as with anything, these are all just theories until we see the game itself.

#45 Posted by Jaytow (703 posts) -

If the front cover is a British soilder about to be killed then I will not buy this game. Not just that, I will never buy a ubisoft game again. No doubt this game will play into many Americans ridiculous account of events.

#46 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

Hm, some of the comments here have made me had second thoughts. I assumed you'd be playing as a native American, not as someone actually fighting in the war.

If the subtext of the game is "America, fuck yeah!" then I'm immediately back to not caring about the series.

#47 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4867 posts) -

@Jaytow said:

If the front cover is a British soilder about to be killed then I will not buy this game. Not just that, I will never buy a ubisoft game again. No doubt this game will play into many Americans ridiculous account of events.

It's more likely that this Assassin's job will be to, well, assassinate members on both sides of the conflict. It was heavily alluded to that Washington was a Templar, and I have no doubt that there will be British Templars as well. If anything, this was a smart play on Ubi Montreal's part to make the protagonist a Native American.

Also, notice the position of the Assassin and his Red Coat target on the cover. They're in the middle of the conflict. If anything, I think the Revolution will serve as a backdrop to this Assassin's mission.

#48 Posted by theoldhouse (439 posts) -

Well victorian london or feudal japan would have been better but this is still cool.

Need to change up the gameplay though. And the graphics.

#49 Posted by MachoFantastico (4860 posts) -

@Jaytow: Yeah, I feel a little akward about it. Though I'm fine with a playing a game where I kill a bunch of Russians so we can't really talk :D

#50 Posted by HyperionXR (277 posts) -

Hah. God forbid there be anything pro American. You know this game isn't even made by Americans, so the "FUCK YEAH AMERICA" stuff you guys are afraid of likely won't even be in it. Chill out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.