Whats up with Desmonds face?

• 64 results
#1 Posted by Sterling (2072 posts) -

He does not look right at all. In fact he looks kinda creepy.

He looks completely different. I didn't play the last the one, Brotherhood was the last AC game I played. Did he get a facelift in the other one or what. I don't think I have ever seen such a huge shift in a characters facial features between games. Granted I skipped one, but still. It really threw me off at first.

#2 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

I like it. If anything, his face in the last several games annoyed me.

#3 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1438 posts) -

He looks like a retarded version of Adam Sandler...

#4 Posted by Hunter5024 (5541 posts) -

@Joeybagad0nutz said:

I came in here to say it wasn't that bad and then you ruined him for me forever.

#5 Edited by Catarrhal (820 posts) -

Forget the guy's face; what's up with his constantly clipping man purse? That shit is pathetic--both the clipping and the purse.

#6 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

I'm with ya. What is up with his face. Also why is his dad with them and where did the blond girl go? This is what happens when you skip two games.

#7 Edited by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

He still uses the same face model. Revelations used different shaders from past games so they had to rescan the dude again. I'm assuming they are sticking with it with III onwards.

#8 Posted by Maajin (1052 posts) -

Yeah, I thought he looked really weird in Revelations, but it's even worse in AC3. Someone give that boy a sandwich, quick!

#9 Posted by Labman (287 posts) -

He comes from a long line of assassin horses?

#10 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1438 posts) -

@Hunter5024 said:

@Joeybagad0nutz said:

I came in here to say it wasn't that bad and then you ruined him for me forever.

I can sleep soundly now knowing I ruined the way you looked at a video game character forever. lol

#11 Posted by cmblasko (1122 posts) -

Yeah, it looked weird in Revelations too. Really offsetting.

#12 Posted by LiquidPrince (15842 posts) -

@Catarrhal said:

Forget the guy's face; what's up with his constantly clipping man purse? That shit is pathetic--both the clipping and the purse.

I haven't seen it clip at all outside of the quicklook. I assumed the day one patch was the solution.

#13 Posted by PillClinton (3290 posts) -

His face looks sickly, or like he got cheek fat reduction and cheek bone enhancement surgery. Shit's weird.

#14 Posted by WalkerD (461 posts) -

I assumed prolonged exposure to a piece of eden was slowly turning him into a monkey.

#15 Posted by ImHungry (376 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

I'm with ya. What is up with his face. Also why is his dad with them and where did the blond girl go? This is what happens when you skip two games.

Shit goes down in Brotherhood. It's a good game that should be played.

#16 Posted by StarvingGamer (7995 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Desmond was compelled to kill the blond girl (Lucy) at the end of Brotherhood because she was a secret Templar spy. His dad is there because everything is coming to a head and he wants to oversee things. He also might have had something to do with rescuing Desmond from the Animus at the end of Revelations.

#17 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

I heard they couldn't hire the same actor/model for Desmond's face. So, they tried to make a similar face.

#18 Posted by FritzDude (2253 posts) -
#19 Posted by ImHungry (376 posts) -

@FritzDude: Both those faces are dumb.

#20 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

+I'm with ya. What is up with his face. Also why is his dad with them and where did the blond girl go? This is what happens when you skip two games.

Desmond was compelled to kill the blond girl (Lucy) at the end of Brotherhood because she was a secret Templar spy. His dad is there because everything is coming to a head and he wants to oversee things. He also might have had something to do with rescuing Desmond from the Animus at the end of Revelations.

Okay. They mention the eden space ladys some. What happened with them in brotherhood and revelations? Last I remember ezio was told about the grand mission from one and now she is talking to Desmond.

@ImHungry said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Shit goes down in Brotherhood. It's a good game that should be played.

I should clarify, I did play some brotherhood, up to sequence 5 or 6. I stopped playing because it totally bored me.

#21 Posted by AlisterCat (5482 posts) -

He looked best in the first game. The art style was very different then.

#22 Posted by xxizzypop (577 posts) -

His eyes are just so close together now and so sunken, that's the only thing that bugs me. He looks like a bad Fallout 3 character.

#23 Posted by AndrewB (7491 posts) -

He looks like a caveman... which I wouldn't be surprised if that's actually a plot point, given how crazy the overarching story seems to be and where it's already hinted.

#24 Edited by Sarumarine (2171 posts) -
#25 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -

@Joeybagad0nutz said:

Pretty much. And considering Adam Sandler looks retarded on his own that is a pretty big achievement.

#26 Posted by TheVideoHustler (406 posts) -

Nothing could be worse then the daughter's face from MOH: Warfighter.

#27 Posted by Shirogane (3563 posts) -

@AndrewB said:

He looks like a caveman... which I wouldn't be surprised if that's actually a plot point, given how crazy the overarching story seems to be and where it's already hinted.

Well not really a plot point...but i think he does get called a caveman at some point by Juno? Or something, bah, Juno says a lot of crazy things.

#28 Posted by psylah (2162 posts) -

I think they changed his face to make him look more like Connor, who is now one of his ancestors. If they make another game with a new distant relative of his, they'd probably change his face to look a bit more like them too.

#29 Posted by Morris (106 posts) -

I thought they were going to change his face slightly to look more like Connor. But I think they went the other way with it.

#30 Edited by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

He just looks how the face model does now. People's faces change over time.

Edit: Plus, wasn't he in a "coma" or something after all that stuff went down at the end of Brotherhood? The change between Revelations and AC3 looks the most jarring to me. The AC3 image looks more like the AC1 image though.

#31 Posted by Ghostiet (5224 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

His dad had nothing to do with it. What fixed Desmond's mind was the Sync Nexus, a moment where three parts of the same bloodline are in one place inside a genetic memory - this gets him out of the coma and puts the Bleeding Effect in check. That and Subject 16's timely intervention.

His dad, however, kickstarted the whole plot by deliberately driving Desmond away from the Assassins, since he would make for a better mole that way.

@Klei said:

I heard they couldn't hire the same actor/model for Desmond's face. So, they tried to make a similar face.

No, if anything, now his face is more similar to Francisco Randez'. It's just that the characters' faces outside of the Animus are terribly animated - they can't get the mouths right - and inconsistent: Rebecca looks completely different.

#32 Posted by deskp (444 posts) -

He looks the same in all games except revelations.

In AC3 he appears a little different cause they use better faces for the cutscenes, when you play as him hes face looks like the 3 other games.

#33 Edited by Mike76x (555 posts) -

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Francisco_Randez

"With each subsequent game, Randez had to return to the studio to have his face scanned again in order to update Desmond's player model. This caused slight differences in Desmond's facial appearance over the course of the games.

#34 Posted by Sterling (2072 posts) -

@kgb0515 said:

I guess its not that different from AC1, but after playing AC:B two years ago and going to this, it seemed like a huge change. An damn, he looks more funky in AC:R. At least now he looks more like the actual model. And I guess its just the sunken in cheeks that makes him look so sickly in the game. Maybe that has to do with the coma aspect from AC:R.

#35 Posted by Potts (159 posts) -

He's really got some bad duck-face going on in AC3. That's probably what bothers me the most.

#36 Posted by Hailinel (23891 posts) -

@oulzac said:

@kgb0515 said:

I guess its not that different from AC1, but after playing AC:B two years ago and going to this, it seemed like a huge change. An damn, he looks more funky in AC:R. At least now he looks more like the actual model. And I guess its just the sunken in cheeks that makes him look so sickly in the game. Maybe that has to do with the coma aspect from AC:R.

The only one that looks completely out of place is the Revelations screenshot. What the heck is with the lighting in that one?

#37 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

He always looked dumb.

#38 Posted by Zella (701 posts) -

It's better than the Revelations one where he looked nothing like before, I find this one looks way more like a real face.

#39 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5806 posts) -

@kgb0515: he looks like Tiger Woods in the AC:R one

#40 Edited by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -

@oulzac: I'm guessing since it's a new engine and people look completely different so they had to remake the dude with the new engine and this is as close as they could make him look to old Desmond with the new engine. He does look weird but whatever. I just want to see the dude stab faces.

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Turns out Lucy(blondie) was working undercover for the Templars and was about to get Desmond, Shaun, & Rebecca killed when they found the Apple of Eden in AC: Brohood. Minerva controlled Desmond when he touched the apple and forced him to kill Lucy. Then he fell into a coma and in the credits, you hear Rebecca & Shaun talking with someone and in Revelations, it turns out to be your pops. They put you back into the animus to find out more about Altair & Ezio while it rebuilds him from cabbage to human.

Looks like people answered you. Forget it I guess.

#41 Posted by Morrow (1828 posts) -

@FritzDude said:

Ouch. He's way skinnier and also looks more american. Seems like they stripped him from some of the features that made him look exotic. Weird. Old Desmond looks a lot better.

#42 Posted by Gaspatchosoup (43 posts) -

This is kinda off topic but because of some of the comment here i decided to go back and play Brotherhood. When i started to play i decided to buy the altair outfit from uplay and it changed my face to desmonds. So i still talk like etzio but look like desmond thought that was kinda crazy.

#43 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

@kgb0515 said:

Edit: Plus, wasn't he in a "coma" or something after all that stuff went down at the end of Brotherhood? The change between Revelations and AC3 looks the most jarring to me. The AC3 image looks more like the AC1 image though.

After seeing this I have to say, "What the hell happened in Revelations?" I mean seriously, that is far and away the largest deviation.

#44 Posted by clumsyninja1 (817 posts) -

Desmond's face on Revelations was little bit off too. Also, his Dad was in Revelations as well, just his voice tough (DLC)

#45 Posted by PokeIkzai (385 posts) -

I like his AC1 and AC:B face the best.

#46 Posted by JasonR86 (9608 posts) -

What's the deal with airplane snacks?

#47 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

How long before Desmond prefers Dos Equis?

#48 Posted by PillClinton (3290 posts) -

Ya know what? Just fuck faces in video games. I thought we'd finally moved forward with LA Noire, but apparently not.

#49 Posted by Chaser324 (6325 posts) -

@Subjugation said:

@kgb0515 said:

After seeing this I have to say, "What the hell happened in Revelations?" I mean seriously, that is far and away the largest deviation.

To me 1 & 3 looks like a totally different guy in comparison to 2 & BroHo, and Revalations looks way different than any of them.

Moderator Online
#50 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

The real secret of the Assassins: Desmond is no one, and everyone.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.