Why does George Washington have a contemporary American accent?

• 132 results
#101 Posted by Jaytow (693 posts) -

@Brodehouse: I understand that both accents are rhotic but they both have many differences too, I am arguing that many of these were kept by the English.

There is more to the American accent than just being rhotic.

#102 Posted by Brodehouse (9621 posts) -

@NickL said:

@wealllikepie said:

@Ninja: so historically accurate a family heritage somehow went from pure italian to pure native american over the coure of less than 200 years. seriously, how the FUCK does that happen? when did this italian dude manage to bang a native american chick? and his outfit is retarded. and i am seriously disappointed with the setting >=(

WTF? Half native american =/= pure native american.

Also, if Altair and Ezio were both his ancestors, then he was never truly pure italian either.

I really hope this is sarcasm and I am just not detecting it...

Edit: NOW IM PISSED, I JUST CHECKED AND APPARENTLY IN 200 YEARS HIS FAMILY HERITAGE WENT FROM PURE SYRIAN TO PURE ITALIAN. WTF! HISTORICALLY ACCURATE MY ASS!

Being featured in Assassin's Creed does not mean that you are a direct descendant of Altair, only that you're an ancestor of Desmond. Ezio is not related to Altair, it's implied either Cristina Vespucci or Sofia Sartor (or some other nameless lady) was a descendant of Altair. Why this is important is because Altair, Ezio and probably this Connor character all had the 'Eagle Sense'... which has been revealed to be a remnant of Those Who Came Before (Minerva, Juno, the precursors) and that Desmond is special because he has a high concentration of that DNA... from the merging of Ezio's line with Altair's and probably Connor's as well. All the varied places, of peoples who have this sixth sense, what Those Who Came Before refer to as the sense of Knowledge, they are all converging and intermingling until Desmond was born.

His family tree doesn't work like a direct line, but a tree, and that's why Desmond is the chosen one.

#103 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

@Jaytow said:

@NickL: I am not talking about stereotypical English accents, I am talking about all of them (MOST of which many Americans are not familiar with). I would argue that you're the only person that made any argument at all. Remember that England has many, many accents my argument is that between all of these accents we have kept more of the old stuff (not a lot of it) than you did, I am not saying that there are not parts you have kept that we didn't, I just reject the argument that modern American accents are more similar to old English (atleast the majority of them) accents than modern English ones. I believe the theory to an extent but I think it is an exaggeration.

@Kevin_Cogneto: Look, if you're going to pick apart everything I say then I'm not going to reply to you, if I want to call you 4-5 "you people" then I'm going to, deal with it. I don't need to explain myself to you. Go away, stop replying to me. Detective.

Ok I understand were you are coming from. I wasn't trying to make you out to be the "bad guy" or anything, I just honestly wasn't getting what you meant.

#104 Posted by benspyda (2030 posts) -
#105 Posted by Jaytow (693 posts) -

@NickL: No worries, I didn't get the feeling you were. That other guy was just a bit childish.

#106 Posted by Kevin_Cogneto (1005 posts) -

@Jaytow said:

@Kevin_Cogneto: Look, if you're going to pick apart everything I say then I'm not going to reply to you, if I want to call you 4-5 "you people" then I'm going to, deal with it. I don't need to explain myself to you. Go away, stop replying to me. Detective.

Oh come on now, admit it: You didn't mean the five people in this thread, you meant Americans, didn't you? See, I think I've got you pegged. I think you're asking me to stop replying to you because you're incapable of stopping yourself, and you know if we keep going you'll have no choice but to admit that your objections have nothing to do with who had which accent and why. Because if that's all this was about, you wouldn't still be going on about it.

#107 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

@Brodehouse: Interesting to know, I always figured that altair and ezio were related by some direct line, but it does make sense the way you put it.

Ninja's post is still pretty dumb though :D

#108 Posted by Jaytow (693 posts) -

@Kevin_Cogneto: Ok then.

#109 Edited by Cabbage_TheMan (240 posts) -

You're very childish, this seems to be the only article on the internet that supports this theory, seems like you're clutching on straws.

Seeing as how I have provided you with immeasurable resources (CHECK THE CITATIONS AT THE END) supporting the argument and you have provided nothing but fecal material from your rectum scotch taped to your ethernet port, I do not think I am being childish.

I take your refusal to look at the proof as a token of your apology. Apology accepted.

#110 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10532 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@MooseyMcMan:

That's why I said "a la JFK". Believe me, I could have done this:

In fact, I'm not sure why I didn't in the first place.

I would have watched that show if it had voice acting like that.

#111 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

@Cabbage_TheMan said:

You're very childish, this seems to be the only article on the internet that supports this theory, seems like you're clutching on straws.

Seeing as how I have provided you with immeasurable resources (CHECK THE CITATIONS AT THE END) supporting the my argument and you have provided nothing but fecal material from your rectum scotch taped to your ethernet port. I take your refusal to look at the proof as a token of your apology. Apology accepted.

You provided him with an article that is based on wikipedia and one book. If you call that immeasurable resources then I don't know what to think....

#112 Edited by Jaytow (693 posts) -

@Cabbage_TheMan: Thanks for accepting my apology. I'm going to get a bath now. You are the master of all.

Aww, isn't he cute :)

@NickL: You're my new best friend.

#113 Posted by Brodehouse (9621 posts) -

@benspyda said:

George Washington should sound like Michael Caine.

He should sound like Justin Mcelroy's impression of Michael Caine.

#114 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Ubersmake said:

The convenient piece of fluff is that the Animus auto-translates to something the user can understand, right?

So what you're saying is that George Washington's Cockney accent is so thick that the Animus reads it as an entirely different language?

I just tried to imagine that and I nearly spewed coffee all over my keyboard.

#115 Edited by Jaytow (693 posts) -

@Brodehouse:

I just had to post it.

#116 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (915 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@Brodehouse said:

Northeastern American accent (stereotypical WASPy country club accent) is actually closer to 18th century British than modern RP British is. More you know.

There is no "British" accent but if what you're saying is that English people didn't sound like BBC newsreaders three centuries ago... they don't speak like that today either.

Would have been pretty funny if all of founders had been given the appropriate regional accents for where their families came from. George Washington with a Northampton accent? Could have been amazing.

Thank god somebody pointed that out

#117 Posted by Cabbage_TheMan (240 posts) -

@Jaytow said:

@Cabbage_TheMan: Thanks for accepting my apology. I'm going to get a bath now. You are the master of all.

Aww, isn't he cute :)

Thanks, that's what I said before, but you didn't respond with agreement. I appreciate the acknowledgment now. And even though you haven't seen a picture of me I also appreciate you calling me cute. I don't often believe it when girls tell me such because of my low self-esteem. ;)

#118 Posted by wealllikepie (756 posts) -

ya'll can be raging at my comment but trying to justify it is dumb. i think i would be more satisfied with it if he was just a white settler instead of native american, but they had to tie him to spirituality somehow and shit and i think that did a disservice for the realistic approach to the game. i was fine with ezio after altair but this... just eh. i still think revolutionary france would have been a way cooler setting and it would make more sense

#119 Edited by LaserLambert (167 posts) -

good lord, which is more accurate? it's all opinion at this point!

the important part is that good ol' Wooden-Teeth Washington's speaking wasn't as inaccurate as people thought!

#120 Posted by wealllikepie (756 posts) -

ONE LAST THING and this is also unironic, if you people find his outfit to be age-appropriate you are kidding yourselves. i have a seriously hard time picturing a dude with like 4 layers of clothes and a bow behind his back to blend in well at all. why the bow? it makes him look so ridiculous in the age of gunpowder. its the end of the 18th century ffs. looking forward to desmond dressing like a gimp in his game

#121 Posted by Cabbage_TheMan (240 posts) -

@wealllikepie said:

ya'll can be raging at my comment but trying to justify it is dumb. i think i would be more satisfied with it if he was just a white settler instead of native american, but they had to tie him to spirituality somehow and shit and i think that did a disservice for the realistic approach to the game. i was fine with ezio after altair but this... just eh. i still think revolutionary france would have been a way cooler setting and it would make more sense

I agree with you. The only reasoning for the Native American may be that he is raised with his people and with their knowledge. So he's like super agile and knows the environment and things. Also, don't give up hope on the France thing. The French revolution wasn't too far after the American and there could be some possible ties there. That would be cool.

@LaserLambert said:

good lord, which is more accurate? it's all opinion at this point!

the important part is that good ol' Wooden-Teeth Washington's speaking wasn't as inaccurate as people thought!

It wasn't my opinion actually, it is Nick Patrick's. I just think he is correct based on the large amount of research involved in his post.

#122 Edited by LaserLambert (167 posts) -

@wealllikepie: are you talking about "Conner"?

Bows are more accurate with far greater distance than muskets, they were fazed out by muskets because muskets were easier to learn and caused more bodily harm. also uhh he's totally an Indian/Native American... so what was your complaint again?

#123 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (915 posts) -

holy fuck this thread if of fucking morons....

#124 Posted by BoG (5185 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Northeastern American accent (stereotypical WASPy country club accent) is actually closer to 18th century British than modern RP British is. More you know.

This is the correct response.

#125 Edited by Cabbage_TheMan (240 posts) -

@NickL said:

@Cabbage_TheMan said:

Seeing as how I have provided you with immeasurable resources (CHECK THE CITATIONS AT THE END) supporting the my argument and you have provided nothing but fecal material from your rectum scotch taped to your ethernet port. I take your refusal to look at the proof as a token of your apology. Apology accepted.

You provided him with an article that is based on wikipedia and one book. If you call that immeasurable resources then I don't know what to think....

The book is The Cambridge History of the English Language, not just some book. And where do you think the information from the wiki articles come from? Do you think the people that write it just make that shit up? 1, 2, 3

#126 Edited by Ninja (521 posts) -

People got all serious, sorry that this thread became that, I was just trying to have a bit of fun.

@BoG said:

@Brodehouse said:

This is the correct response.

Still I would like to travel back and see exactly what it would be like, I can't imagine it being that close to current Northeastern american or current British though.

@NickL said:

@Brodehouse: Interesting to know, I always figured that altair and ezio were related by some direct line, but it does make sense the way you put it.

Ninja's post is still pretty dumb though :D

Why exactly was my post 'pretty dumb?' It's a reasonable assumption and if you read my posts I wasn't exactly being so serious as to receive this sort of negative comment... but thanks.

@Jaytow said:

@august: My majority comment is just from what I've read on the internet, it seems clear that this is an over exageration and that whilest Americans share some things with our early accent that we don't, it is very unlikely that we have less incommon with those accents than modern day Americans do. Although I would argue that a website that looks like it was made in 1992 is hardly a compelling argument to the contrary.

You have to ask yourself why a very conservative nation such as Britain where 80% of it's current population (and much higher than that throughout the 19th and 20th centuary) have strong amounts of English heritage would have less in common with an old English accent than America, a country with the most diverse backgrounds of any nation. Common sense tells you this theory is nonesense. As I've said I have no doubt that Americans have some things in common with our Fathers that we don't but I would argue that we have many more things in common, as far as the way we speak is concerned.

I think this is a valid point, also that website is more about the emphasis placed on 'R' more than everything else that makes an accent.

#127 Posted by Kerned (1169 posts) -

This book is pretty interesting. It's a bit dry for a straight read though, but worth taking in a chapter from time to time if you have an interest in the history of languages (specifically English). I think it may address what has become the main topic in this thread, but it's been years since I've read it so don't hold me too it.

Also, some of you people need to untwist your knickers and have a drink.

#128 Posted by Cabbage_TheMan (240 posts) -

@LoveYouSomeEric: Hi, my name is Cabbage_TheMan and I got trolled. Jaytow trolled me!! There I said it. I'm going out now actually. Good advice.

#129 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

@Cabbage_TheMan: Wikipedia is a good place to find resources about a certain topic (I do that all the time), but if you are trying to argue that using wikipedia AS a resource is valid then I don't even know what to say...

I know it isn't just some book, but it is just one book. If I ever tried to base a research paper on just one book (and a few wikipedia articles) I would expect my professors to rip it up and fail me. I can't even imagine doing something like that for something that I'm planning on posting for the world to see.

Anyways, we have cluttered this thread enough with this nonsense IMO. I won't be responding to anything anymore unless it is talking about how awesome this game is looking to be!

PS I think that guys website is seeing more action then it has in a long time. It has crashed 2 out of 3 times I have tried to open it lol.

#130 Posted by Nate (702 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

This guy is right. I'm an American history teacher and my students have asked about this so I've done a little research. I also happened to catch a news story about this on the radio several months ago. My accent (West Coast U.S.A.) is likely closer to the British (and colonial) accent than those we currently hear from the UK. The Brits have changed their accent more than we have. Take the word "far" for example. The Brits wouldn't pronounce the 'r' at the end in the same way an american would. It would actually sound a bit more like "fa" (not quite, I know). The loss of pronouncing the 'r' at the end of words is only something that's spread across the UK in the last couple hundred years.

#131 Posted by Hailinel (23942 posts) -

@wealllikepie said:

ONE LAST THING and this is also unironic, if you people find his outfit to be age-appropriate you are kidding yourselves. i have a seriously hard time picturing a dude with like 4 layers of clothes and a bow behind his back to blend in well at all. why the bow? it makes him look so ridiculous in the age of gunpowder. its the end of the 18th century ffs. looking forward to desmond dressing like a gimp in his game

Guns tend to make a hell of a lot more noise. Also, guns in that era took longer to load and were not nearly as accurate as modern firearms. A bow was still a perfectly viable weapon for quick, deadly assassinations in that age assuming that you were a good enough shot.

#132 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -
@Nate said:

@Brodehouse said:

This guy is right. I'm an American history teacher and my students have asked about this so I've done a little research. I also happened to catch a news story about this on the radio several months ago. My accent (West Coast U.S.A.) is likely closer to the British (and colonial) accent than those we currently hear from the UK. The Brits have changed their accent more than we have. Take the word "far" for example. The Brits wouldn't pronounce the 'r' at the end in the same way an american would. It would actually sound a bit more like "fa" (not quite, I know). The loss of pronouncing the 'r' at the end of words is only something that's spread across the UK in the last couple hundred years.

The fact that Ireland and Scotland have also retained the Rhotic 'R' supports this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.