Will the British be the only enemy?

• 79 results
#51 Posted by thomasnash (528 posts) -

A bit besides the point, but the OP was saying we never really picked sides, but I feel like sides have definitely been picked maybe in 2 and brotherhood it wasn't as obvious, but you do essentially pick sides in conflicts between city states in Italy, but it's especially noticeable in Revelations, when Byzantine and Templar are used pretty much interchangeably. The only one where I feel you didn't pick sides was the first one?

#52 Posted by Z3RO180 (230 posts) -

@AlexW00d: i was on the wiki looking at the speaical editions and it sayed that the game in the join o die one would have speaciel pakegeing would you know what it meant by that?

#53 Posted by batmanary (4 posts) -

Well, since this got bumped, might as well have a go. I seriously hope the Americans aren't the good guys, and I think it's wrong to have Franklin and Washington be your allies. After all, Washington was a property speculator who got mad that the British limited colonial expansion into native lands, and Franklin didn't even bother telling the king over in Britain about the colonies' problems...too busy letting his bird out.

Setting's cool, just please don't limit us to one side Ubisoft. Then again they are from Montreal, lol.

#54 Posted by Sackmanjones (4650 posts) -

Do you need anyone else besides red coats?

#55 Posted by hawkinson76 (354 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

As he is, at least partly, native, I imagine he'll be killing both Englishmen and Americans. After all both parties killed the shit out of his people, and Assassin's Creed has always been about killing motherfuckers, as opposed to taking sides.

American's considered themselves Englishmen back then, they were fighting for their rights as Englishmen.

In any case, considering who your final opponent was in Assassins Creed 2, I think anything is possible.

#56 Posted by Z3RO180 (230 posts) -

@Mikemcn: i assume not all the british army will be templars but the big players in charge of the army will be also what would be cool is f conner (your character) will assainte officers in the british army and then get some info that one two or three are in the rebeal army and are in positine to kill GW why i dount know i just think it would be cool to have both sides infected with the templars.

#57 Posted by StalkingTurnip (150 posts) -

I think from the rants of my assassin's creed obsessed friends the American Revolutions was manufactured by the Templars who were also controlling England to establish a purely Templar state and the hoodie guys take it over for freedom or something. So maybe you kill the first George Washington and replace him with another one or something?

#58 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1438 posts) -

@PenguinDust said:

"Benefits of a classical education."

Sure, the British have the best accent for evil. Think of all the great movie villains. What do they have in common? British accents. I think it's because we Americans feel inferior to our motherland (of sorts) and so we cast them as the bad guys in order to feel better about ourselves. The British accent (the one most Americans think of, not all the other varieties) sounds smarter than our slack-jawed corruption of the English language and so perhaps feeling a bit paranoid, it's easier to believe them to be villainous. Folks with some book-learning are always scheming something fierce, aren't they?

It's actually been said that the british is the one that change in all the years since the revolution and that most english speaking people back then were speaking like americans do now.

#59 Posted by xyzygy (9868 posts) -

I'm kind of curious to see what role Canada plays. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Quebec and Nova Scotia under pressure to join the colonies? More so Quebec. And at one point the Americans stormed Montreal... I can't think of many games that really mention much about Canada besides Deus Ex 3 which at one point takes place in Montreal.

#60 Posted by AuthenticM (3695 posts) -

@xyzygy: Considering the game is made by Québécois in Montréal, I wouldn't be surprised if we hear talk of Québec in the game.

#61 Edited by Dallas_Raines (2130 posts) -

George Washington will be the surprise bad guy, just wait and see.

#62 Posted by MegaMetaTurtle (414 posts) -

I think the Ubisoft conference summed it up;

- Trailer of British soldiers getting killed.
- Gameplay of British soldiers getting killed.
- Question if the British will be the enemy (with Toby referring to the guy asking as 'the enemy' as they were from the UK), answered with 'No, here's a trailer to show you it won't
- Trailer of British soldiers getting killed.

I mean, last I saw, the cover was the main character killing a red coat with an American flag flying in the background.

I get that the largest audience is America, so they're not going to do anything that would hurt sales. Just kinda sucks.

#63 Posted by allworkandlowpay (874 posts) -

@Spoonman671 said:

I still don't know why the Templars are bad.

The Templars believe that in order from humanity to survive and thrive, there needed to be a controlling force that unified all people, all nations and all kingdoms together. They believed that the artifacts from the First People, a race of intelligent near-humans that lived on Earth prior to a great cataclysm, would be the key to uniting humanity.

Their perfect world was one where everybody would be at peace, but the peace was maintained by exerting their will through force and near-supernatural power.

Apparently I'm an Assassin's Creed scholar.

#64 Posted by allworkandlowpay (874 posts) -

@Dallas_Raines said:

Would make sense. He was rumored to be a high ranking Freemason, like many of the founding fathers. Some stories link the real Knight's Templars to the Freemasons, but that's highly unlikely.

#65 Posted by Slax (894 posts) -

Based on the CG trailer, pretty sure George Washington is a templar...

#66 Posted by mandude (2667 posts) -

@MegaMetaTurtle said:

I think the Ubisoft conference summed it up; - Trailer of British soldiers getting killed. - Gameplay of British soldiers getting killed. - Question if the British will be the enemy (with Toby referring to the guy asking as 'the enemy' as they were from the UK), answered with 'No, here's a trailer to show you it won't - Trailer of British soldiers getting killed. I mean, last I saw, the cover was the main character killing a red coat with an American flag flying in the background. I get that the largest audience is America, so they're not going to do anything that would hurt sales. Just kinda sucks.

Disappointing, especially seeing as they could have easily gone down the neutrality path. I don't really want to buy it if it turns out to be one big colonial circle jerk.

#67 Posted by Jay_Ray (1069 posts) -

We already know George Washington had a Piece of Eden as shown in AC2.

#68 Posted by Mikemcn (6936 posts) -

@allworkandlowpay said:

@Dallas_Raines said:

Would make sense. He was rumored to be a high ranking Freemason, like many of the founding fathers. Some stories link the real Knight's Templars to the Freemasons, but that's highly unlikely.

National Treasure involved Templars turned Freemasons, therefore there are templars on both sides and they're lead by Nic Cage.

#69 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

@jmood88 said:

It's funny to me that this concern is popping up. You've been in the middle of a war with various countries for the previous 4 games and this "will we have to pick sides" thing was never an issue.

It never was an issue in the other games. All of the AC2 games had you playing as an Italian, killing Italians, etc, and even then it was only made up families who were portrayed as stupidly evil.

This is the first time you've clearly been put on one side in a conflict. Playing as an American, killing the British. It's not surprising some people are uncomfortable about it, and if the roles were reversed (playing as a redcoat, killing Americans) I'm sure there'd already be petitions and news casts demanding the game be banned. Like others have already said though, there's been hints about Washington's allegiance in the previous games and it's pretty obvious the "surprise twist" is going to be that certain American's are also Templars. The fact the main character is a native American all but confirms things won't end well for him.

#70 Posted by mandude (2667 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

@jmood88 said:

It's funny to me that this concern is popping up. You've been in the middle of a war with various countries for the previous 4 games and this "will we have to pick sides" thing was never an issue.

It never was an issue in the other games. All of the AC2 games had you playing as an Italian, killing Italians, etc, and even then it was only made up families who were portrayed as stupidly evil.

This is the first time you've clearly been put on one side in a conflict. Playing as an American, killing the British. It's not surprising some people are uncomfortable about it, and if the roles were reversed (playing as a redcoat, killing Americans) I'm sure there'd already be petitions and news casts demanding the game be banned. Like others have already said though, there's been hints about Washington's allegiance in the previous games and it's pretty obvious the "surprise twist" is going to be that certain American's are also Templars. The fact the main character is a native American all but confirms things won't end well for him.

Isn't he half native, half English, with more emphasis on the native?

#71 Posted by XenoZak (170 posts) -

I was quite annoyed by AC3's E3 demo's for giving us no reason to believe the game isn't entirely about killing the British and have been slightly worried from the first trailers about an obvious bias.

But if you think about it they are showing a certain section of the story, it probably suits the assassin to use the americans to get close enough to Templar targets and to do that he helps by fighting with them. At some point I assume he has a target who happens to be american and then switches sides or something. I don't think its about who hes fighting for and their reasons for war but simply using the revolution to help with the all the templar stabby stabby.

#72 Posted by MegaMetaTurtle (414 posts) -
@mandude Yup. To both your comments. :P
#73 Posted by Jimbo (9769 posts) -

I liked the CG trailer where assassin dude just got pissed and ran directly at formed up British battle lines (who all managed to miss at point blank range, natch) and then #yotb'd that guy. Very assassiny.

#74 Posted by Master_Funk (728 posts) -

I assume most of the content they are showing is early game content, which normally starts out pretty black and white in terms good guys and bad guys. But its obviously gonna become more and more grey the deeper you get into it, so I wouldn't worry about the Redcoats being the enemy for now.

#75 Posted by EquitasInvictus (1943 posts) -

Doesn't anyone remember how in the first Assassin's Creed Altair didn't necessarily associate with either the crusaders or the saracens but wiped out people from both sides? Considering E3 takes place stateside I guess they thought it'd be more appropriate to focus on a British target and his cohorts getting wiped out more so than the other way around, although I'm sure you'll eventually do a lot of that -- in fact, they probably aren't saying much about it because I'd bet that the bigger twists of the plot will have to do with templars in the ranks of Americans.

I also agree with speculation that George Washington will be the "surprise" last boss.
#76 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -

I believe the protagonist is half British and half Native American so I assume he'll be smokin' fools on both sides.

#77 Posted by Skiiv (6 posts) -

The assassins enemies will always be the templars he doesnt care about who's side he's on

#78 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (887 posts) -

it's all well and good saying stuff like "you dont pick sides" or "it's not about Britain Vs America" yet every single trailer and game play footage has been shown Conner hacking up the British and not even a punch thrown at the colonists 

#79 Posted by BaneFireLord (2907 posts) -

I just want to stab motherfuckers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.