Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed: Revelations

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Nov 15, 2011

Assassin's Creed: Revelations is the fourth installment in the Assassin's Creed franchise and the final entry in Ezio Auditore's main storyline. A few levels also put players back in control of the original Assassin's Creed's Altair, and depict his rise to the Mentorship of the Crusades-era Brotherhood of Assassins.

AC:R is my favorite AC game yet.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By kingzetta

It's probably the most interesting game ever. I found everything incredibly interesting; from desmond's past, to Altair's later years, Ezio's story. The most interesting part of all is learning tons of stuff about the Templars from the mulitplayer. For example Subject #4 was an assassin that was brain washed by the Templars, killed an assassin mentor and leaked the location of all the assassins in the world to Abstergo. He is regarded as one of the greatest Templar Heroes ever.  I've said it a million times that AC has the best muliplayer of any game ever, and I 100% stick by that. I think Assassin's Creed Revelations is the best AC game yet, and I can't wait for next year.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By kingzetta

It's probably the most interesting game ever. I found everything incredibly interesting; from desmond's past, to Altair's later years, Ezio's story. The most interesting part of all is learning tons of stuff about the Templars from the mulitplayer. For example Subject #4 was an assassin that was brain washed by the Templars, killed an assassin mentor and leaked the location of all the assassins in the world to Abstergo. He is regarded as one of the greatest Templar Heroes ever.  I've said it a million times that AC has the best muliplayer of any game ever, and I 100% stick by that. I think Assassin's Creed Revelations is the best AC game yet, and I can't wait for next year.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By MikkaQ

Really? I found it the worst, and I'm not even trolling. I found that Ezio's story was told after he served his purpose in 2, which was showing Desmond in the future what he must do. Like he was an insiginicant proxy of sorts. Even Minerva dismissed him as a mere tool. Which is why I found it hard to justify these other two games' plots. Then there's the tower defense stuff, which is the worst thing added to any game I've ever played. Luckily I found ways to avoid it, but it's still frustrating.

Moreso, the mission structure just bothers me. I'm hours into this game and haven't really assassinated anybody. Sure I've killed gobs of people, but I'm not seeing many missions where I have to kill important templar figures. It's a lot of tailing missions, spying, setting up the assassin bases, lots of extended tutorialising, plus those awful dungeon levels that take away your freedom of movement.

I dunno, I feel like it's the least inspired AC game yet, like everyone making collectively stopped caring. It feels like it was designed by committee and has a super disjointed feeling. I'll keep playing it, but if it keeps up like this, I don't even know if I'll bother with ACIII, and I love this series.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kingzetta
    @MikkaQ: Total Opposite  
    I thought the tower defense was fun and those dungeon levels were awesome, especially the first one and the lighthouse one. wait till you see the last like 3 hours, it's pretty great.
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Aside from the awful tower defense game, I'm inclined to agree. Granted they possibly could have done without telling all of this in two games, Brotherhood and Revelations, but I still felt I had more moments that peaked my interest than Brotherhood did. I also had a lot more fun with the Revelations dungeons. They had some unique touches to them and I felt quite badass when chasing a boat on foot and not miss a single jump or hanging lamp. Guess I'm in the minority to think Revelations was better than Brotherhood, mainly because I felt it gave the closure Ezio and Altair needed.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Enigma777

Personally I hate the Altair missions, but the Ezio stuff is pretty cool. Some great chases too.  

Oh and, yes, that tower defense minigame is shit. 

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Klei

Lacking of time to elaborate, I'd say Revelations is my favorite of the Ezio Trilogy, even though I hold AC1's setting and unique flair really close to my heart.

I enjoyed an older, wiser, friendlier Ezio. His costume was the most badass since Altair's, and the whole Istanbul setup was just great; just look at that dazzling sky at nighttime, with the Prince of Persia-ish moon! Also, although I initially dreaded the hookblade, I grew to love it, both for combat and movement.

mangomonger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By mangomonger

@MikkaQ said:

Then there's the tower defense stuff, which is the worst thing added to any game I've ever played. Luckily I found ways to avoid it, but it's still frustrating.

How do you avoid it? I find it the only part I don't like in this game.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Enigma777
    @mangomonger said:

@MikkaQ said:

Then there's the tower defense stuff, which is the worst thing added to any game I've ever played. Luckily I found ways to avoid it, but it's still frustrating.

You just don't do it. If they take it over just retake the tower. It's faster and easier. Otherwise just keep bribing every herald you see.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By mordukai

In terms of gameplay, settings, and story advancement then AC2 will never be matched. I don't see AC3 having the same impact that AC2 had. The advancement will minor like AC 2.5 and AC 2.8. At this point the story has become so convoluted that I just lost any interest I had in it.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SlightConfuse

subject 4 was covered in the awesome comic where they delve into a russian assassin. good to see that stuff in there

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kingzetta
    @slightconfuse said:

subject 4 was covered in the awesome comic where they delve into a russian assassin. good to see that stuff in there

ooh that's pretty cool
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Cornman89

Really? I think it's the laziest one yet. Wrapping the story around a collectathon was pretty uninspired, especially as thinly veiled as it is Revelations. The framed narrative thing is also getting tiresome. The animus stuff is only important insofar as it communicates information to Desmond. That's been true since AC1, when I had to play through 9 goddamned sequences just to access the location of the Apple at the end. And that was cool in 2006, because it was a mindfuck, but it's not cool anymore. What it does is rob the story of any forward momentum. Like, why should I care about the political whatever going on in Constantinople? Why should I care about Ezio at all? His thing happened centuries ago, and I'm only playing through it so that Desmond can receive a few crucial facts at the very end.

I really hope they finish this story up soon, because the longer it goes on, the more problematic the whole framed narrative conceit becomes for me.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MikkaQ

@kingzetta said:

@MikkaQ: Total Opposite I thought the tower defense was fun and those dungeon levels were awesome, especially the first one and the lighthouse one. wait till you see the last like 3 hours, it's pretty great.

I've always liked how the games have ended so far, so maybe it'll pick up. But I've never liked the dungeons, because they feel like levels from another game or something. What I find appealing about AC is the freedom of movement, the options I have to execute missions, and I dunno... feels like they're reducing that as the series progresses.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MikkaQ

@Enigma777 said:

@mangomonger said:

@MikkaQ said:

You just don't do it. If they take it over just retake the tower. It's faster and easier. Otherwise just keep bribing every herald you see.

I've also taken to focusing on creating master assassins through the missions you can send them on, which eventually locks the den, so they can't be taken back. I'm just going to do tat as fast as I can, so I'll never have that risk. If I have all my dens locked, I can do whatever I want without worrying about being attacked.

I also obsessively pay off and pickpocket heralds.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kingzetta
    @MikkaQ said:

@kingzetta said:

@MikkaQ: Total Opposite I thought the tower defense was fun and those dungeon levels were awesome, especially the first one and the lighthouse one. wait till you see the last like 3 hours, it's pretty great.

I've always liked how the games have ended so far, so maybe it'll pick up. But I've never liked the dungeons, because they feel like levels from another game or something. What I find appealing about AC is the freedom of movement, the options I have to execute missions, and I dunno... feels like they're reducing that as the series progresses.

Well they are from another game. They are suppose to be reminiscence of Prince of Persia levels.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MikkaQ

@kingzetta said:

@MikkaQ said:

@kingzetta said:

Well they are from another game. They are suppose to be reminiscence of Prince of Persia levels.

Exactly. If I wanted that, I'd play a Prince of Persia game. It just doesn't fit. PoP games have been crap for years.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By fjordson

I'm enjoying it, but, unsurprisingly, it's not having the same impact for me as II and Brotherhood did. I like the story, it's just that certain additions feel pretty worthless. Like the tower defense, which is especially awful.

Some fun stuff in here for big AC fans, but I really hope they shake things up with III.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By landon

@MikkaQ said:

@kingzetta said:

@MikkaQ said:

@kingzetta said:

Exactly. If I wanted that, I'd play a Prince of Persia game. It just doesn't fit. PoP games have been crap for years.

They never felt like PoP missions to me because this game doesn't have a jump button and all of the platforming is automatic. I like the dungeons because they are time and skill based. What felt out of place in this game was the first person puzzle/platforming sections you play as Desmond. I wish they had taken the dungeons out of the single player and just put them there.

And being someone who enjoys playing flash tower defense games, I found the tower defense in Revelations to be super boring and repetitive.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By OneManX

@Cornman89 said:

Really? I think it's the laziest one yet. Wrapping the story around a collectathon was pretty uninspired, especially as thinly veiled as it is Revelations. The framed narrative thing is also getting tiresome. The animus stuff is only important insofar as it communicates information to Desmond. That's been true since AC1, when I had to play through 9 goddamned sequences just to access the location of the Apple at the end. And that was cool in 2006, because it was a mindfuck, but it's not cool anymore. What it does is rob the story of any forward momentum. Like, why should I care about the political whatever going on in Constantinople? Why should I care about Ezio at all? His thing happened centuries ago, and I'm only playing through it so that Desmond can receive a few crucial facts at the very end.

I really hope they finish this story up soon, because the longer it goes on, the more problematic the whole framed narrative conceit becomes for me.

While I agree that Desmond's story is THE story of the AC games, I found myself way more into Ezio's stories in AC2 and ACB. I think the Aniums fiction is way more interesting than the 2012 Abstergo stuff.

deskp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deskp

I like the game and gameplay, but it was the msot disapointing AC ive played yet, i found that i run out of thing to do quite early, and the story was short.

The multiplayer is really good though! They should add a few more of the maps from ACB for free.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Cornman89

@OneManX: Yeah, I agree that Ezio is way more interesting--though I'd argue that that's because the writers failed to deliver on the 2012 story thus far, rather than some inherent qualitative gap between the two. Anyway, that's kind of the problem I was getting at in the first place. They've spent too much time on stuff that, while enjoyable on a surface level, is only peripherally relevant to the actual story.

The way I see it, the AC story is flawed at its very core, or maybe it's just become that way over several games' worth of mismanagement. What we have now is a horrible Catch-22 scenario--the past story exists only to facilitate the future story, but the future story has been sidelined in favor of telling the past story. I really can't imagine a scenario in which next year's installment will do the original premise of AC justice, which is a shame, because that premise is great.

Avatar image for optimusprime223
    optimusprime223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23  Edited By optimusprime223

Mmmm defintely seems to be, at the very least, the most divisive AC game yet. I haven't played it as yet as I am under orders to not purchase games until after christmas as my list to santa is pretty much just games, but I am very intrigued by the tower defense and the story conclusion. I thought brotherhood's ending was rubbish so really want to see how this plays out...

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#25  Edited By Humanity

I just got this game recently to finish up with everything before I get into Skyrim. I gotta say I totally skipped Brotherhood because it looked A LOT like AC2 to me. That seems to have done nothing for me as I'm playing this game and it feels completely like AC2 to me with small additions. The assassins I get to call in are totally new for me but thats basically telling me I get to press LB from time to time now.

Storywise I am completely turned off by the fact that you're this master assassin thats been around for years. I'm not sure how long Ezio has been at this but it's pretty long - so here you are and almost everyone is teaching you the complete basics of being an assassin. I don't feel the age and wisdom that Ezio should carry with him by now.

They could have done something great with him being so old but that fact is completely cosmetic as well. In Metal Gear Solid 4 you felt Snake was old. Sometimes he would crack his back, wouldn't get up from rolls as fast etc. Here it's just a skin.

At one point I realized I haven't done any of these main questlines because I'm so tied up paying off heralds, defending my dens, which keep getting contested, running left and right. The game feels busy but not productive busy.

The tower defense game is a sign of how far they've strayed from the original purpose of the game. The series has boiled down to a series of mini games. Trail this guy, defend this den, go to this dungeon, race this thief. Say what you will about AC1 but that game knew what it wanted you to do. You got new gear, a new target and then you went around and assassinated that target. All repetition aside thats what I liked about the game. Here I am helping Yusuf do something they apparently had trouble setting up on their own despite all these dens. I'm 10 steps behind as usual cause the Templars know all about the diary, the keys, the crypts and Ezio as usual shows up with a dumb look on his face not knowing what the fuck is up with any of this and were playing catchup.

Despite all this seeming negativity from me I'm enjoying the game more or less - I like the multplayer. I'm just frustrated with how the series didn't evolve nearly as much as their cutscene renderings did.

As a side note I have some weird issue not being able to engage combat properly. You used to just assume combat stance is there a trick to it - when guards attack me I try pressing left trigger to target them so I can engage the "counter" stance so to speak with holding down right trigger but I just end up standing there and getting attacked until I fumble into swinging my sword around.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By Commisar123

I really could not disagree more with your assessment

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By altairre

I finished Revelations seconds ago and I have to say that I agree with it being the best AC game until now. I really liked seeing the end of Altair´s and Ezio´s storys and I am eager to see how things will play out in AC3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.