Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed: Revelations

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Nov 15, 2011

Assassin's Creed: Revelations is the fourth installment in the Assassin's Creed franchise and the final entry in Ezio Auditore's main storyline. A few levels also put players back in control of the original Assassin's Creed's Altair, and depict his rise to the Mentorship of the Crusades-era Brotherhood of Assassins.

Assassin's Creed: Revelations - Too much of a good thing?

LLIINNKK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By LLIINNKK

Having just played through both Assassin's Creed II and Brotherhood, I'm feeling a little let down by the idea of playing as Ezio again. Without spoiling the endings for those who haven't played them, I don't really see how returning to his story has any benefit to the overall continuation of the games. I understand it wrapping up Ezio and Altair's characters just fine, but it just seems to be for the case of doing so, not because it's essential to any story that we need to have regarding Desmond and the present.

Actually, while Brotherhood is an amazing game, It also seems a bit redundant that you're essentially playing to recover the item you already had at the end of the second game. 

Eh, maybe I just burnt myself out on the idea after playing them back to back! It just seems like too much of something unnecessary. Granted, that is the industry these days.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Ragdrazi

If it combines AC1's incredibly deep story with AC BroHo's gameplay I'm all for it. But it's probably not going to do that, so I'm with you on this.

EchoForge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By EchoForge

I fell in love with AC2 cause of the setting, I stayed for ACB for the almost 'one more turn'-ish gameplay.

In many ways, I would've been fine if they stopped with Brotherhood, and go with a new setting and character, but hey, at least they're not in Italy anymore.

It's part of the business, but it could be worse.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By valrog

As long as that idiot Desmond isn't the (main) protagonist, I'm pleased.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Chop

I agree. 

It's ridiculous that they won't move on. Three Ass creed games in three years is already too many, three Ezio games in three years is just insane. 

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DougQuaid
    @LLIINNKK said:
    Eh, maybe I just burnt myself out on the idea after playing them back to back!
    I think that might have been your problem right there. After playing through Brotherhood in a span of a few days, all I wanted was more after finishing it. 

I was a bit worried that they were putting out another Assassin's Creed game out only a year after 2, but Ubi managed to pull it off nicely and the quality was still there. Sure they might be grasping at strings by making another game based around Ezio, but as long as the story can justify it, I'm on board.
    MYCAELIS93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By MYCAELIS93

We know hardly anthing about the storyline of AC: R so theres no way to know that hes not essential to the story. So just wait intil we know more before you start judging their reasons for have Ezio in the 4th installment because they plan the storyline they just dont say hey yeh know what lets use Ezio again.

Honestly i think three installments with Ezio in it is just fine but if hes in a fourth then people will want a change

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Agent47
    @valrog: @valrog said:
    As long as that idiot Desmond isn't the (main) protagonist, I'm pleased.
    Yes please, but so far from what I am hearing there is VERY little Desmond the only parts with him involve puzzles because
    so there willl most likely be alot of Altair and Ezio.Of course I hope we get to see and hear Altair alot more this time.
    LLIINNKK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LLIINNKK
    @Ragdrazi: Assassin's Creed 1 is definitely superior to the others in many ways, but I love the evolution from 2 to Brotherhood. Brotherhood feels like the game 2 should have been.
    LLIINNKK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LLIINNKK
    @DougQuaid: Well, don't get me wrong - After playing both of them in succession, I want nothing but more Assassin's Creed. I just don't necessarily care about Ezio anymore, as it was hard to care about him in the first place. It rushes you through the death of his Father/Brother, and then doesn't develop him beyond his role for revenge. They touch on it slightly, but it hasn't been deep enough to carry my interest. Ezio isn't likeable at times, and playing as him for a third game seems pointless.

Reading what Agent 47 wrote only highlights my fears. With the state Desmond is in, it could just be excuse to build off of the success they've found with the last two games. I'm just really hoping the story backs up the overall plot and isn't just there (kind of like Brotherhood, even though the end is... well, WTF worthy.)
    Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ragdrazi
    @LLIINNKK said:
    @Ragdrazi: Assassin's Creed 1 is definitely superior to the others in many ways, but I love the evolution from 2 to Brotherhood. Brotherhood feels like the game 2 should have been.
    Absolutely, absolutely. But, and I admit, I haven't quite finished Brotherhood yet, but the plot is really nothing like AC1.

Is it too much to ask to have great gameplay and great writing in the same game?
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#12  Edited By the8bitNacho

I don't think so. If they keep releasing Assassin's Creed games like this on an annual basis then yeah, we are all probably going to smack into some kind of saturation point. But right now I feel like I'm prepared to close out Ezio's story later this year.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

I am interested in going back to Altair, simply because I do not remember the first thing about him. Well maybe its a bad thing 0_o

LLIINNKK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LLIINNKK
    @SirPsychoSexy: His story was much more interesting, as was he as a character in my opinion. I really hope we get some legitimate scenes with him.
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By TheHT
    @LLIINNKK said:
    @SirPsychoSexy: His story was much more interesting, as was he as a character in my opinion. I really hope we get some legitimate scenes with him.
    He was kinda a generic bad ass in AC1 from what I remember. Only after his scribbles in AC2 did I have a reason to think he was a great character.

But the end of AC1 was great. Damn, I should play AC1 again.
    LLIINNKK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By LLIINNKK
    @TheHT: I understand what you mean. He was portrayed as a cold killer type, but really the story in the game and the back-story surrounding him are far more interesting. Yes, Ezio has quite the personality... but idk if I'd consider it likeable. He doesn't convince me that he should lead the assassin's, he's just there - the guy I'm forced to play as. 

I replayed part of AC1 today. The game engine was so much better.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I didn't finish Brotherhood, the game was spectacular for the amount of time they had put into it, but it really was painful to play. I stopped on the mission where there is the play and you have to move from hay bail to hay bail and then kill someone or order a kill or something and you don't have enough time to read/hear the instruction before it's game over. Also, often while I was playing the instructions would tell me to do the opposite of what I was supposed to be doing.

cobra88king8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cobra88king8

I mean I'm really looking forward to it, but it does seem tiresome to be going back right to the old character. I loved Ezio in Italy and Altair in the Middle East and I was really hoping for an entirely new setting this time instead of "hey let's put an old character in an older environment" 

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Assassin's Creed games are all about heritage and ancestors 

Had the Ezio story been ended in Brotherhood, without seeing any real ties between him and Altair, I would have been majorly pissed. I'm fucking ecstatic that Revelation is about Ezio going after the remains of Altair's glory days, trying to connect with his spirit and peacefully bid the brotherhood's first leader farewell before he's too old to go on such a journey. 

I've watched the E3 trailer around 100 times in the last two weeks, always sends chills down my spine whenever i see the ghost of Altair walking alonside Ezio 

Revelations is going to be fucking amazing. 

rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By rapid

I thought Assassin's Creed 2 was already enough to tell the full life of Ezio  from his birth, to his teens, to adulthood. 

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By phish09

So long as it is the last in the series of Ezio stories, I'm fine with it, and in fact I'm really looking forward to it. 

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Maluvin

I'm really curious to see how Ezio matures.  AC2 did a good job of showing a young, inexperienced, emotionally driven man.  By AC:B he's matured a bit and not nearly as rash in his reasoning and if somewhat dull I think to a certain degree that happens to a lot of us at that age.  My hope is that AC:R shows Ezio being philosophical and questioning what his life has amounted to even as he pushes forward for answers wondering if those answers are worth the price he has paid as a person. 

We'll see.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Maluvin said:
    My hope is that AC:R shows Ezio being philosophical and questioning what his life has amounted to even as he pushes forward for answers wondering if those answers are worth the price he has paid as a person.  We'll see.
    Ofcourse it's gonna be like that :D He's pursuing Altair's memory and shit, so Revelations is gonna be a very philosophical and spiritual journey
    Maelstrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Maelstrom

Revelations is supposed to "finish the Ezio trilogy" but it will only be Altair's second game so expect Ubisoft to "finish the Altair trilogy" with next years annual Assassin's Creed installment. Anything, anything for them to avoid giving us Assassin's Creed 3. I'm burned out myself but I can understand if there are people who will lap this up every year.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MeierTheRed

I enjoyed AC2, and ACB. But i'm not going to support Ubisoft on this new milking process they are doing. Sure ACB made some good fixes to gameplay, but i'm really not interested in more of the same. 

I wan't AC3.

ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By ikwal

I would like to see some more changes. But I don't mind them going back to Ezio one more time.

Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Tsoglani

While I agree that 3 games with the one character in 2 years or whatever is a bit of overkill, I am hoping that the new setting will boost Revelations. Maybe I am biased, because I am looking forward to it due to the fact my ancestors are from the Byzantine/Ottoman era, so will be great to see these environments in-game. So the setting is the biggest drawcard for me.

But, I do hope that this will be the last Ezio game; seriously, I don't know how much more I can take of him.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

I don't know why people don't like Ezio. He is my favorite character of the entire series. I'm estatic for another assassin game with ezio.
    jb335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jb335

It just seems to me like the whole thing is super corporate. The Assassin's Creed cycle was supposed to be a trilogy. Now we're already beyond that, and I feel like we haven't moved past the second act. I appreciated the tweaks that they made in Brotherhood; I think it's a big improvement to the franchise. But I'm also getting burned out on Ezio. Is his story really interesting enough for three games? He's discovered some pretty improtant stuff, but Brotherhood seemed to me like a way just to test out new gameplay elements before Revelations dropped. The whole plot premise ("Whoops! There goes the Apple again!") was kind of lame.The twists to Desomnd's story at the end could have just been moved to the beginning of Revelations. 

I really like this franchise,and I still find the story well-written, butthey're really milking these games for all the money they can get, which is a shame. But I guess they're running a business, right?
    rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By rawrz

Havnt finished Brotherhood yet but Revelations being about Ezio doesnt really bother me since I love that character. I enjoyed seeing his evolution in 2 from arrogant kid to bad ass assassin. I look foward to seeing closure to the character and the effects everything may have to had on him in his older age as well as seeing all the Altair stuff get closure as well.

Will1Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Will1Lucky
    @jb335 said:
    It just seems to me like the whole thing is super corporate. The Assassin's Creed cycle was supposed to be a trilogy. Now we're already beyond that, and I feel like we haven't moved past the second act. I appreciated the tweaks that they made in Brotherhood; I think it's a big improvement to the franchise. But I'm also getting burned out on Ezio. Is his story really interesting enough for three games? He's discovered some pretty improtant stuff, but Brotherhood seemed to me like a way just to test out new gameplay elements before Revelations dropped. The whole plot premise ("Whoops! There goes the Apple again!") was kind of lame.The twists to Desomnd's story at the end could have just been moved to the beginning of Revelations.  I really like this franchise,and I still find the story well-written, butthey're really milking these games for all the money they can get, which is a shame. But I guess they're running a business, right?
    Going off the behind the scenes comments on the creation of the Franchise it makes it sound like a trilogy was never even a plan, something only patrice believed in.
    jb335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jb335
    @Will1Lucky: Hunh. Didn't know that--I'll take your word for it. But then it makes even less sense that they only used Altair for one game, especially because he seems to be so central to the plot.
    Will1Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Will1Lucky

From what I recall from the outset the plan was simple. Create a Franchise that spans across numerous types of media, games, comics, clothes ect. They have for the moment more or less succeeded at that aim, just look at whats included in the Animus Edition. I recall one Dev who stated shortly before the release of AC2 that they could make 35 of these games when asked what the third game would be. Doesn't sound like they intended for AC1>2>3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.