Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed

Franchise »

The Assassin's Creed franchise follows the never-ending, secret war between the Assassin Brotherhood and the Templar Order, in various historical settings, told from the perspective of the modern day.

Do you still enjoy Assassin's Creed games?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll Do you still enjoy Assassin's Creed games? (147 votes)

I have never played an Assassin's Creed game 4%
    I used to play them, but I think I'm done now 38%
    I play one every now and then, but I won't get the new one 14%
    I play one every now and then, and I plan to get the new one 5%
    I play almost all of them, but I won't be playing the new one 7%
    I play almost all of them, and I plan to play the new one 13%
    I've played the entire series, but I won't be playing the new one 5%
    I've played the entire series, and I plan to play the new one 12%

Please note that "entire series" in this poll refers to the main series, which includes:

Assassin's Creed, Assassin's Creed II, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, Assassin's Creed: Revelations, Assassin's Creed III, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Assassin's Creed Unity, and Assassin's Creed Syndicate.

As for my personal history with the series: Rented 1, played and loved 2 and Brotherhood, was very disappointed in Revelations, skipped 3, played and somewhat enjoyed Black Flag, skipped Unity, and will definitely be skipping Syndicate.

I think I'm done with the series forever, at this point. I believe it was sometime during what felt like the 20th "follow these people and listen to their conversation instant fail mission" in Black Flag where I said decided that I was done. Between that nonsense, the ridiculous plot that never goes anywhere, and the tiring trademark "no, it's actually you who are bad, and I am the good one" speech that every last one of your assassinations leads to, I can't see myself ever playing another one of these games.

How about you? Are you done playing Assassin's Creed games, are you starting to lose interest, or do you still find the series as enjoyable as ever?

• 
    gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By gaminghooligan

Yep. I admit that many of the games are deeply flawed, but I enjoy them all the same. I'm a sucker for a big open world game set in one of many time periods. Even though I had my gripes with Unity, I think I was in the minority of people who actually enjoyed the story (DLC included). So I probably will play the new one, although I'll wait and make sure there are no performance issues this time around. I'm just a fan of the games, a friend jokingly calls me the Assassin's Creed apologist, but like I said I'm not past admitting that some of them aren't very good. For example, I was really unhappy with AC3, but I loved the dlc that came out for it.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By brandondryrock

Sure. I haven't played Unity yet, I'm waiting for it to drop to like $20 on PC. I really enjoyed the first game, all of the Ezio games, and Black Flag. I enjoyed the first half of 3, up until the Paul Revere mission. Then it fell apart for me. But the setting of 3 was really intriguing to me since I enjoy American colonial history. I'll wait for Syndicate to be released to see what the buzz is around that game, and either wait like I did with Unity, or pick it up if the general consensus is good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've yet to play Rogue, Unity, or Chronicles, but everything before those I very much enjoyed. I love the traversal systems, don't mind the combat, and the historical stuff is enough to make me not care too much about the questionable mission design.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Through Brotherhood, I was really into the series and it was one of my favorites. Then 3 came out, and it basically abandoned everything that made the series great up to that point. Black Flag briefly redeemed things, but now that it's become apparent that Ubi intends to shove the series out the door on a yearly basis, quality be damned, I think I'm done.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Jeust

I've played the first Assassin's Creed to completion, and a bit of the second, and I think I'm done with the franchise for the most part, as I'm not enjoying it that much.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

After Watch Dogs and AC: Unity I am no longer interested in giving Ubisoft money.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By Atwa

I played, AC, AC2, some of Brotherhood but then I got bored and was kinda done. Picked up AC IV and loved that, but mainly because it wasn't really Assassins Creed.

New one looks cool, in regards to seeing London but other than that boring. Won't get.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
    deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played through the first & second, have Brotherhood on Steam but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. The modern day parts of the first two were pretty bad & looking back the non stealthy fight everyone run & sit on a bench assassinations weren't very good either. From what I read of Black Flag, the Assassins Creed game I've been most interested since the 2nd, it sounded like I would have preferred a pirate game that was completely removed from the Assassins Creed universe.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Ruiner

After Brotherhood I think I've seen just about everything this series has to offer. I'm out.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've enjoyed almost all of the AC games since 1. I've kind of fallen off after the Unity fiasco, but I think I'm stuck with the series until it finally dies. I'm invested, I guess. I... I'll probably get Syndicate near launch.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lost_Remnant

I've played all of the main series (I've even played and beaten Rogue and that HD port of Liberation) and beat all of them except for Unity which I stopped halfway into sequence 7. All the technical issues, crashes, still bad frame rate (and I played this game three months after release and it had some patches under its belt) coupled with a boring story and some of the sloppiest combat I've experienced with the series to date and I just couldn't finish it. I plan to go back to it and just get it done so that black cloud is no longer hanging over me.

Unity is the only AC game that put me off enough to not follow through with finishing it. AC3 and Revelations (which wasn't THAT bad in all honesty it just didn't do all that much story wise that you hope a game called Revelations would do) were rough in spots but I still found something to enjoy. I still enjoy traversing the environment, getting up to no good and neck stabbing dudes in various time periods, for better or worse I'll still be here playing them. The series could certainly do with some shaking up but even if it doesn't, every new entry in the series seems to have JUST enough to keep me going with the exception of Unity. So I will certainly check out Syndicate, but Unity burned me pretty bad and that was even with me playing it three months after launch. All AC games for me are a wait and see approach now. I will play Syndicate but if it is bound with problems I will wait for patches and probably a twenty dollar price drop.

It's sad really, AC games used to be day one purchases for me. I still enjoy them but there is only so much you can take with technical mishaps and the fact that it's an annual franchise that it saps even the most ardent of AC fans like myself that you sometimes want to throw your hands in the air and just go "fuck this man."

I will however deliver hot neck stabbings and go "uh-uh-uh-uh!" until I perish from this globe.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Getz

After AC III I was ready to move on. Black Flag turned out to be a damn good game so I took a chance on Unity and felt tricked. I'll wait and see how the next one turns out, but they've got a lot to make up for. Fool me twice, shame on me.

1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Nope.

seveword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved Assassin's Creed (1), I thought it had sooooo much going for it despite its flaws. 2 was a better 'game' but the story reveal at the end made me lose interest almost completely. I played Brotherhood and Revelations back to back on a long weekend, burned out hard, and have zero interest in going back. They seem to be treading the same ground as 2 with only minor, incremental differences in the core gameplay. Not for me, not anymore.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've played all of them so far and I enjoyed them all until Unity (yes, even 3). The bugs didn't bother me much. The game was just boring.
    I am also one of those who find the real world animus stuff one of the most interesting things about AC, so when you take that away I kinda lose interest.

I don't think I'll play the new one.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never played the series and don't really intend to start now. The Ubisoft 'formula' really does nothing for me.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Tom_omb

"I play almost all of them, and I plan to play the new one" seems like the closest fit for me, but I'm not sure if I'll play the new one.

The last game in the series I played was Black Flag, and it's by far my favorite. It's also the only AC game I played at release. I've always had a cautious interest in the series. The pattern is on day one I'm unsure about the game, but once a new game is announced I get excited and play last year's game. What I enjoy most about the series is becoming invested in the setting, usually resulting in some Wikipedia browsing or watching documentaries on YouTube to casually learn some more about the history.

So right now I could pick up Rogue to continue where I left off with Black Flag, but it may be not be as fresh as it once was. I could pick up Unity and experience the new setting in a game built for the new generation. Maybe I'll just leave AC behind for the time being, and reevaluate my position once Syndicate is released.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played the first 3, been out since.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've played practically all of them (except for the PSP/mobile/browser games and Rogue) and while my enjoyment has dipped a little with Unity, I plan on getting Syndicate. I've said it many times, I'm an AC fanboy. I'll gladly admit its flaws (of which it has quite a few), but I can't help liking them.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played them all apart from Unity. Suckers!

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Used to love them, but they've lost me since 3. I think Black Flag was very overrated (only fun for a bit, little depth, terrible missions and story). This new one just looks boring.

II is a game in particular I think very, very highly of.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By ajamafalous

I swear a thread nearly identical to this was made like less than two weeks ago.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The 2D Assassins Creeds look intriguing to me, but I have lost all interest in the 3D versions. I literally yawned while watching the trailer for Syndicate.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I own all the major console AC releases up until Black Flag, but have never played even a single minute of any of them. I haven't even put the disks in any of my consoles.

Look upon my works, ye Mighty, and despair.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

After Unity, I think I'm done. There have been some truly amazing games in the series (2, Brotherhood, 4), but I just don't have the enthusiasm I once had for the series after this many games.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I consider myself on the fence. If another entry comes along as strong as Black Flag I couldn't definitely be convinced to check it out!

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I thought AC 1 was interesting but frustrating. AC 2 was amazing at the time, Brotherhood played better but had a less interesting story. Revelations was the first in the series I disliked, but I forced myself to finish it. I played two hours of 3 and hated it. I want to play Black Flag eventually. Other than that, I think I'm done with the series. I used to really like these games, but they're just not good anymore.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't we have a thread like this super recently? I'll write what I wrote there.

No, as squandering well-done cities and art direction on incredibly by-the-numbers gameplay using the Ubisoft open world formula seems to be the MO of the series right now. It's basically on auto-pilot at this point.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I like the idea of Assasin's Creed a lot (unique settings, storyline going through hundreds of generations over thousands of years)

but I don't know if I actually like Assasin's Creed very much the way it's been realized.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Yup, I still really enjoy Assassin's Creed, even Unity. I really enjoy the AC open world formula and their settings. The series is like a guilty pleasure, if guess. Even when the games are heavily flawed I find myself really enjoying them.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Haven't been able to get into one since brotherhood, which I enjoyed a fair bit. Seems like the first 3 games was just enough content to get what you wanted out of the mechanics.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played all of them up through Black Flag. AC:BF was great stupid fun when it came to running around being a pirate but the actual Assassin/Templar aspects just weren't all that important to me. When I heard Unity was coming out I just had no interest in picking it up at release because I felt that I needed a break from the series and didn't hear about any particularly interesting updates to the gameplay. Also after playing games like Shadow of Mordor and the Batman Arkham games I've had this sense that the AC melee combat system needs a huge update to make it flow better. I don't expect necessarily comic book flip everywhere gameplay but just something a bit more interesting and less janky. What I heard about bugs in Unity on release pushed me even further away.

I will say I was sitting around the other day wondering if it might be worth picking up now in the hopes that a lot of the major bugs have been addressed and I'm curious where they'll go with Syndicate.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played 1, 2, Brotherhood. 3 I booted up for a few minutes and realized I'll probably just not play it. Black Flag I was trying to get into, I liked some of the weird stuff, but coming off of something like Shadow of Mordor it just felt like garbage. I might try Unity but I'll wait until it's like <= $10 but who knows if I'll ever finish another one. Those kinda open-world with climbing mechanics games in general are just getting kinda stale for me. I didn't even finish Shadow of Mordor.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Sterling

On one hand they have some cool mechanics and things I like. But the majority of the games I hate. The fucking chase missions, the follow and spy missions. Those missions are just so broken and not fun. Also all the erratic movement of the character running up walls at the wrong time, or it not running up a wall when it should. The now too simple and boring combat. The over usage of collectibles and things to do on the map is insane. I've enjoyed some of them. And really hated some of them. I've also skipped all the non console ones, and two console ones (revelations and the last gen one from last year). I want them to be good, and I want to like them. They can be fun. But I don't know if I can keep buying them since they don't really improve/fix or change all that much. Everyone is still the same busted core game since the first. And the changes they make game to game are never really worth it. Aside from Black Flag, that was probably the most fun I had with a Ass game.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By goonage

AC2 and AC:BF were pretty fun, but in general I'm not an AC-freak and I usually stop enjoying the games after a while. After the Unity (and other general games) debacle I probably won't pick up Syndicate.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By phantomzxro

AC3 kind of killed the series for me, now i don't care to keep up with them. If one grabs me i'll give it a spin but i was the type who liked the overarching story and now that is gone i don't have much reason to keep following each game. This goes double when they are sticking so close to very samey locations. When they start to visit unique locations it would bring me back in to being excited for one.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

No, I don't still enjoy them. I have enjoyed much of the series in the past, but I really don't like where they're taking it. I didn't play the first one, but I loved II,III, and IV for different reasons. II is the best game overall, IV was the most polished and fun, and I am one of apparently very few who really appreciated III for making some bold choices to tell a darker story with a protagonist who was jaded instead of charismatic. (It should be noted that I played III post-patches when it wasn't as buggy as I've heard it was initially.) I'll defend basically everything about that game except for the really annoying switcheroo they pulled early on. The Frontier area is still one of my favorites in the series overall.

I'm a sucker for cool environments and some nods to history, though. Which, for me, makes the setting fairly key. Italy is of course amazing, New England circa Revolution is fantastic American history, and the Caribbean is pretty alluring in general. I felt like all those worlds were interesting and were realized well, which helped me overlook some flaws a bit. Which brings us to the past few games. Setting-wise, Rogue and Chronicles are the two that have intrigued me, but both games were actively relegated to second or third-tier in the franchise. It was hard to get too amped for either, given that one released exclusively on an older console and the other is limited as a side-scroller. I may give Rogue a shot at some point, though. It seemed to be 100% decent and had a more interesting premise than usual. That Chronicles is apparently as close as we'll get to an Asian setting in an Assassin's Creed game is extremely disappointing.

With Unity, there was some real potential. However, I was out the second they revealed another generic male protagonist. I don't usually get in a tizzy about that stuff, but women played such a huge role in the French Revolution that it was a complete disservice to not make the protagonist female. Spare me the "but, but, Liberation" crap. Vita third-tier shit doesn't count. Ubi, since this was a main release in the series, chose to pander to market research suggesting a white male might sell more copies rather than a character more befitting the era, and that's bullshit. It was essentially actively ignoring a big part of that history out of greed. I mean, how cool would it have been to play as some badass woman taking on oppression by cutting people apart in hyperviolent fashion? Huge missed opportunity there. They deservedly took some heat for it, and then the game released as a buggy piece of shit. For me, Unity was a huge blow for the franchise. I hadn't given up on the AC series yet, though. I was ready to forgive this disastrous dud in hopes the next entry would be interesting

Then they announce it's set in Victorian England. Now, I know there's people into that setting, and that's fine, but I think it has been really overdone of late in games, TV, film, etc. This probably wouldn't bother me so much, except Ubi is completely uppity in their refusal to do a feudal Japan/China/Mongolia AC game (which could be fucking amazing) because they think it's played out. Fucking hypocrites. On top of that, yet again we have a white male protagonist getting top billing in every possible respect. Apparently there will be an option to play as a female character, but it seems 100% like an afterthought tossed in simply as an appeasement after the Unity fiasco. You wouldn't even know it's an option from the trailer or released gameplay footage, either. It's like they're trying to do the bare minimum just to say they did while trying their best to hide it from the general public, and that's all kinds of fucked up.

Moreover, Unity and Syndicate don't appear to be evolving the series much at all. They're arguably taking steps backwards. I mean, II at least had some varied Italian cities and locations, III had multiple cities and the Frontier, IV had the naval warfare component and different islands, and Unity and Syndicate are back to just one city. Paris and London are obviously iconic places with rich history, but the exploration aspect is inherently a bit limited there unless you're super into those cities. I don't want to take away from the environments because that part of the AC games (even the bad ones) tends to be masterful, but that just isn't able to continue masking the ever-growing list of flaws. The gameplay doesn't seem to have changed much, either. The latest iterations appear little more than re-skins of late, and that's truly a shame.

The AC series is just a cash grab at this point. I'm usually the guy defending companies for profit-seeking so they can continue to make games, but Ubi has gone off the deep end. The show over there is clearly run by suits who sit there vetoing creativity if it might mean larger profit. This is acceptable to a point, but Ubi flew by that long ago. Now it's formulaic garbage based entirely on what awful market research tells them will sell the most, replete with gross apparel, attempts to incentivize pre-ordering, and what's surely soon-to-be DLC content that's probably already done and is simply being withheld from the main game to be sold for more later. Let's not forget flooding the market with multiple games in the series to try to whore out the license as much as possible. Oh, plus review embargoes to try and move launch copies before the verdicts are in. Making good AC games is a secondary goal at best for Ubi these days, so I'm out until that changes...if it ever does.

BluPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BluPotato

I haven't played one since Brotherhood and since then it just seems like there are too many coming out too quick to care about.

Edit: I forgot I played the Vita one, but mostly because it was a on sale for 12$ and I wanted something to play

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.