Does everyone pick up on all of the historical figures in these -

#1 Edited by NTM (7542 posts) -

games? I thought I did, but sometimes there's someone, whether it be a big character or not that I just didn't even know was a real person at one time. Actually, the amount of them that I don't know of is small, but for instance, a big character of the series, or at least I would say so, Al Mualim, I didn't even know he was a historical figure until now. I guess I'm just ignorant. Oh well, I love learning these things, and I love when games do this kind of thing. So is anyone else here like that, or do you get it the first time, like "Oh, hey, yeah, I remember learning or hearing about that person!". Whenever a game does this, and I don't know as much as I'd like, I always have to look them up and learn more.

#2 Posted by IBurningStar (2190 posts) -

I'm pretty good with history so I believe I have caught most of the historical references. I don't want to say all because there is a chance I missed something, but I think I pick up on almost all of them.

#3 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11391 posts) -

I would say uninformed, not ignorant. Sure, they're kinda similar in meaning, but uninformed is nicer sounding.

But yeah, it's kinda scary how well they managed to work around real historical events. They spent far more time than they probably should have researching this stuff, especially when it's really all about ancient Roman aliens.

Online
#4 Posted by NTM (7542 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

I would say uninformed, not ignorant. Sure, they're kinda similar in meaning, but uninformed is nicer sounding.

But yeah, it's kinda scary how well they managed to work around real historical events. They spent far more time than they probably should have researching this stuff, especially when it's really all about ancient Roman aliens.

I think they're point is to make it feel more... relatable? No, that's not the word, they want to bring it more into reality so it gives the player a certain feeling. I kind of love that about Assassin's Creed. Also, they juggle a lot of aspects it seems, they have this historical stuff in it, then they have this whole polar opposite sci-fi stuff that matches up with it all. It's kind of crazy I think.

#5 Posted by wjb (1696 posts) -

I mostly do, especially Assassin's Creed II and Brotherhood.

#6 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8606 posts) -

I really like it, my history/art classes helped a lot in AC2 with the subject something painting puzzles.

#7 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11391 posts) -

@NTM said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

I would say uninformed, not ignorant. Sure, they're kinda similar in meaning, but uninformed is nicer sounding.

But yeah, it's kinda scary how well they managed to work around real historical events. They spent far more time than they probably should have researching this stuff, especially when it's really all about ancient Roman aliens.

I think they're point is to make it feel more... relatable? No, that's not the word, they want to bring it more into reality so it gives the player a certain feeling. I kind of love that about Assassin's Creed. Also, they juggle a lot of aspects it seems, they have this historical stuff in it, then they have this whole polar opposite sci-fi stuff that matches up with it all. It's kind of crazy I think.

No, I completely agree that it's great, and it is totally crazy. It's just that they could have made a bunch of stuff up and most people wouldn't know the difference/care. At least up until ACIII, I suspect that (at least in America and Britain) people are going to be more aware of any changes made to historical events.

Online
#8 Posted by Grimhild (722 posts) -

One night my beau was reading "The Prince" by Machiavelli after playing which ever one he was in.

"Man... this guy's kind of a dick, actually."

I found it pretty amusing.

#9 Posted by Benny (1955 posts) -

@Grimhild: A genius though. The fact that 'Machiavellian Politics' is a term widely used today speaks volumes about how influential he was. I was planning on reading 'The Prince.' It's public domain so you can download it for free.

#10 Posted by NTM (7542 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

@NTM said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

I would say uninformed, not ignorant. Sure, they're kinda similar in meaning, but uninformed is nicer sounding.

But yeah, it's kinda scary how well they managed to work around real historical events. They spent far more time than they probably should have researching this stuff, especially when it's really all about ancient Roman aliens.

I think they're point is to make it feel more... relatable? No, that's not the word, they want to bring it more into reality so it gives the player a certain feeling. I kind of love that about Assassin's Creed. Also, they juggle a lot of aspects it seems, they have this historical stuff in it, then they have this whole polar opposite sci-fi stuff that matches up with it all. It's kind of crazy I think.

No, I completely agree that it's great, and it is totally crazy. It's just that they could have made a bunch of stuff up and most people wouldn't know the difference/care. At least up until ACIII, I suspect that (at least in America and Britain) people are going to be more aware of any changes made to historical events.

Well that is true, but as I was with some of these historical figures before, I think it's great that they did, 'cause if anyone's like me, once they hear about them, they'll want to learn more (or at least I'd hope so), and you wouldn't be able to do that sort of thing if they had made up a bunch of fictitious characters. I just think it's nice they took that step.

#11 Posted by NTM (7542 posts) -

Also, the Medici crest looks like a piece of pepperoni pizza.

#12 Edited by Grimhild (722 posts) -

@Benny:

No doubt. I just found it hilarious that he may have been expecting something more along the lines of a Renaissance Errol Flynn character, and less about subversive politics that focus on self-empowerment.

#13 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11391 posts) -

@Grimhild: I think The Prince was supposed to be satirical/intentionally bad advice, but I think that may be something that historians/political scientists debate.

I want to say his book The Discourses (or something along those lines) is kinda the exact opposite of The Prince. But I kinda didn't pay attention too much to the Machiavelli part of poli-sci class, so don't quote me on that.

Online
#14 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11391 posts) -

@NTM: Again, I completely agree.

Online
#15 Posted by stinky (1553 posts) -

@NTM said:

Also, the Medici crest looks like a piece of pepperoni pizza.

they put their balls everywhere.

#16 Posted by NTM (7542 posts) -

@stinky said:

@NTM said:

Also, the Medici crest looks like a piece of pepperoni pizza.

they put their balls everywhere.

Good one? I really can't tell if that was a sexual joke or not, ha ha. I also thought that was the Borgias.

#17 Posted by SexyToad (2722 posts) -

I knew that the artist was Leonardo de Vinci was. Even though they said his name.... Anyways I'm not that much into history so I didnt really catch on to the people.

#18 Posted by sissylion (675 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Grimhild: I think The Prince was supposed to be satirical/intentionally bad advice, but I think that may be something that historians/political scientists debate.

I want to say his book The Discourses (or something along those lines) is kinda the exact opposite of The Prince. But I kinda didn't pay attention too much to the Machiavelli part of poli-sci class, so don't quote me on that.

Discourses was written a number of years after The Prince, and The Prince was the first thing that he wrote after being exiled by the Medici family. This leads a lot of people to thinking that The Prince was satirical and was him attacking the Medici, where Discourses was more in line with what he actually believed.

#19 Posted by stinky (1553 posts) -

@NTM said:

@stinky said:

@NTM said:

Also, the Medici crest looks like a piece of pepperoni pizza.

they put their balls everywhere.

Good one? I really can't tell if that was a sexual joke or not, ha ha. I also thought that was the Borgias.

historical reference, thought i'd drop another one on you.

not everyone took kindly to their growing power.

#20 Posted by NTM (7542 posts) -

@stinky: Yeah, I know.

#21 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

I got a little over half of them, nowhere close to all of them, though.

#22 Posted by StarvingGamer (8555 posts) -

Sadly I was a terrible history student and high school was over a decade ago for me so... I pick up on the bigger names but that's about it. I'm a big dummy.

#23 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

In AC1 there was a few on the crusaders that I heard of. But not too many people.

#24 Posted by korkesh (133 posts) -

I am currently doing a minor in history and love to focus on the middles ages and renaissance so assassins creed 1 and 2 have just been a play ground of meeting all these people I've been studying. For the most part I already know some of the people mentioned but sometimes my knowledge on these characters breaks the experience where I'm kinda like, they would never do that or ever be in that location, especially with Leonardo Da Vinci in Assassins Creed 2.

#25 Posted by NTM (7542 posts) -

@korkesh said:

I am currently doing a minor in history and love to focus on the middles ages and renaissance so assassins creed 1 and 2 have just been a play ground of meeting all these people I've been studying. For the most part I already know some of the people mentioned but sometimes my knowledge on these characters breaks the experience where I'm kinda like, they would never do that or ever be in that location, especially with Leonardo Da Vinci in Assassins Creed 2.

Yeah, that's understandable. I was thinking of that same thing, except since I'm not huge on the history of all these things, I can't necessarily pin-point such things. I think if I knew more though, I'd be doing the same.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.