Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed

Franchise »

The Assassin's Creed franchise follows the never-ending, secret war between the Assassin Brotherhood and the Templar Order, in various historical settings, told from the perspective of the modern day.

Jump into the series at 1 or 2?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

For story purposes should I play through 1 one first? I sorta don't want to for gameplay purposes and due to time but it seems like if you really want to get into the story (which I do) you have to play the first one. What do you guys recommend?

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Simplexity

1 is dreadfully boring, skip to 2.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By ZenaxPure

If you really want to get into the story(which you should, because it's awesome!), play the first.  

But be prepared for fun but flawed mechanics to be in the most repetitive game you've ever played in your life. Not necessarily a bad thing but it's all about how much you can handle before getting bored of doing the same thing over and over, and I mean quite literally.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Bocam

@NekuSakuraba: Just youtube the 1st one as the gameplay sucks

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By phrosnite

I have played only the first and I don't want to play another AC till the rest of my life. Yeah, it's that bad.

So start with 2.

BirthWild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By BirthWild

1 is probably cheap right? Right? Personally I'd want to start with the first one, and I did. If you can handle playing it, you will be so much more rewarded when you move on to 2 and bro-hood and revelations. Some much ass,sassins.

but you'll be fine if you want to hit 2 up. With a little youtube'n

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By SlightConfuse

i would say just played 2 as much as enjoyed the first one, 2 just imporves on everything.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NTM

No, the only reason you'd have to play the first is to know Masayaf, and to see the ending since those are basically the only things that have to do with the sequels. If you want to be see more of Assassin's Creed, then maybe you should play it, but why do that now when you can do it another?

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hunkulese

Start with the first one. It probably has the best story of the AC games and is referenced in the other games. The gameplay is fine except for the repetition. You are asked to do the same tasks over and over but I enjoyed the setup that there are 9 people you have to assassinate and had to acquire information on them first. The PC version is a little better because there are more options for gathering the information and there are no achievements to worry about so you can just blast through the main story and ignore all the collection stuff.

I also really liked the conversations you have with the victim after each assassination.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

If you're interested in the history of the series and seeing how it started and what it evolved from, start with the first one. If you just want to play a fun game, start at number 2.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@MattyFTM said:

If you're interested in the history of the series and seeing how it started and what it evolved from, start with the first one. If you just want to play a fun game, start at number 2.

I would probably get more enjoyment if I could understand the story so I'll probably play the first one. How long is it? 15 hours?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By toowalrus

I played 1, 2 and Brotherhood back-to-back, and I'm glad I did. It's short, and not particularly tough, and I'm glad I've got the whole picture of the AC universe.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Hunkulese said:

The gameplay is fine except for the repetition. 

This is actually something that should be emphasized. The core gameplay of AC1 and the rest of the series is pretty much exactly the same. The thing is, like mentioned, the game is horribly repetitive. And I don't mean in the way of most games where "you kill a lot of dudes" or whatever. I mean they literally take the exact same mission structure and copy/paste it 8 or 9 times, hell half the NPCs have the same voice and say the exact same things, it's jarring.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By mikemcn

AC1 is wicked repetitive but nothing in it is really "bad", you just do so much of it that it can get boring, skip the side stuff, focus on the main story and you'll enjoy it.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @NekuSakuraba: Each mission has a bunch of side quests, I think I did all of them and still finished the game in like 12 or so hours. You could probably blaze through it really quickly if you just did the required stuff.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@Zenaxzd: Do the side missions have anything at all to add to the main story or should I just go through the main thing?

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By Cornman89

Start with AC2. Read a plot synopsis for AC1, or just youtube the beginning and end.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Neku, play the first game. If you don't, I'm blocking you.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @NekuSakuraba: No, the side missions are just a bunch of dads mad at their sons or something. They are just an excuse for you to jump over buildings a lot.
    gimmysumcowbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By gimmysumcowbel

just read a summary of the first one on wikipedia or something. Then play 2. Its awesome

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hunkulese

@NekuSakuraba said:

@MattyFTM said:

I would probably get more enjoyment if I could understand the story so I'll probably play the first one. How long is it? 15 hours?

If you ignore all the collection stuff and just focus on finishing the game you can beat it in 9-10 hours.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Sooty

the first is terrible, do not play it.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By Hizang

The original, at least try it first.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By imsh_pl

I jumped into 2, had absolutely no problem with understanding the world or story whatsoever. There was like one throwback mission and the name 'Altair' thrown about a few times but that's about it.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Burns098356GX

I would check youtube to find out the events of the first. Its a very dull game and I think it would turn any new comer to the series off from the rest.

SpartanAmbrose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SpartanAmbrose

Starting with 2 is a completely viable option, but you should give the first game a chance. If you play it before the others, it won't seem as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Plus, you'll have a better understanding of the story and a stronger appreciation for the changes made in the sequels.

Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By Virago

I started with 2, and my fiance explained what happened in the first one. I still want to go back and play #1 because I love the story telling and history and all of that. Plus, it's been years since it's release, so you can find a cheap, used copy anywhere.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.