The Next Assassin’s Creed Won’t Star Connor

• 192 results
#51 Posted by Efesell (482 posts) -

@jebara said:

Didn't I hear that 3 and its setting was supposed to be its own trilogy?

I think I heard it somewhere, maybe the reaction to 3 caused this.

Never heard anything like that. At least not in any official sense.

And I doubt the reaction to 3 caused anything, that game reviewed fairly well and made bank.

#52 Posted by jebara (64 posts) -

@Efesell: Critics, maybe.

But I've heard nothing but hate and whining from the gamers side.

#53 Posted by Efesell (482 posts) -

@jebara said:

@Efesell: Critics, maybe.

But I've heard nothing but hate and whining from the gamers side.

Yes, I've been on the internet also.

You take all of that with truckloads of salt. People who like things generally don't scream about it as much.

#54 Posted by DexterKid (668 posts) -

@Tylea002 said:

Connor hasn't "starred" in an AC game yet, though.

The "star" of AC3 was Haytham, and we all know it.

100%, Haytham is not just the best character in AC3, but one of the best characters in the entire series, and they completely squander him and his story. AC3 should'ave been either all Haytham, or 50:50 between him and Connor but without the two ever actually meeting. That would've made the game much more interesting for me.

I'm happy to hear they are dumping both the character and the setting, neither worked for me, for many reasons.

#55 Posted by Video_Game_King (35833 posts) -

@mlarrabee said:

Good to know this franchise will be milked dry.

How else do you make a pizza without milking a cow? ANYBODY WHO MENTIONS CHEESELESS PIZZAS IS A GODLESS HEATHEN.

#56 Posted by SpicyRichter (499 posts) -

@chilipeppersman said:

@mlarrabee: yuckkkk i stopped playing the AC series after the first one. Its just a cash cow now.........

Mistake. Number 2 was the best of the series

#57 Posted by Jimbo (9769 posts) -

Thank fuck for that. Awful, awful non-character.

@Tylea002 said:

Connor hasn't "starred" in an AC game yet, though.

The "star" of AC3 was Haytham, and we all know it.

Abso-fucking-lutely. Haytham / Lee double-act actually had potential, until the 'twist' (and before Lee turned into a pantomime villian).

#58 Posted by Encephalon (1238 posts) -

Maybe Connor will have learned to speak with contractions by the time he returns!

#59 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4138 posts) -

Swazzlestars.

#60 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

#61 Posted by punisherkaos (271 posts) -

No thanks I'm good.

#62 Posted by KLEPEK_DefenseForce (29 posts) -

Good read Patrick. Rich and compelling. Thanks for keeping us all in the know.

#63 Posted by HistoryInRust (6268 posts) -

I'm sure I'm just echoing most sentiments. But come on.

They've run this franchise into the fucking topsoil. I couldn't be asked to finish Revelations, had no interest in III, and have drifted into being agressive, near to the point of sheer antagonism, in my avoidance of any further entries of this series.

#64 Posted by GasparNolasco (360 posts) -

I'm a fan of the franchise and I kinda liked AC3, even though I never actually bought it for myself (got it from a friend). But I really like that they are sticking with the original plan again. Ezio was special, but all other protagonists can be one hit wonders from now on.

I wouldn't mind not hearing from Desmond ever again either.

#65 Posted by Parsnip (1075 posts) -

Maybe the next game will feature Shao Jun and her Chinese Brotherhood.
Maybe take place after she meets Ezio.
Or something.

#66 Posted by GasparNolasco (360 posts) -

@TheHT said:

@Pixeldemon said:

Best case scenario:

Complete reboot of the series with no animus and no insultingly bad "chosen-one must defeat ancient alien forerunners" story line.

Yeah, as cool as the ending to 2 was, I think it would've been better for the series to just be Assassins and Templars fighting over ancient technology for global domination/freedom rather than Those Who Came Before actually taking part in Demond's story.

• Assassin's Creed 1: Altair during the Crusades / Desmond intro
  • Assassin's Creed 2: Ezio during the Renaissance / Desmond training
  • Assassin's Creed 3: Conner in England during the Age of Discovery (with features from Brotherhood) / Desmond on assignments and the Templars eventually taking over the world
  • Assassin's Creed Revelations: Adam in Africa during the human uprising against the Precursors / Desmond and Assassins revolting against the Templars
  • Done

That would be pretty cool!

I could see a million ways Ubi could fuck it up though...

#67 Posted by xyzygy (9869 posts) -

Hopefully they will learn from the mistakes of AC3.

#68 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1664 posts) -

No thanks! I couldn't even stomach trying to finish AC3, given all its issues. Hey, Ubisoft, maybe take a year or two off with this series?

#69 Posted by LiquidPrince (15834 posts) -

I liked Assassin's Creed 3. So I'm excited for the next one.

#70 Posted by Mitch0712 (452 posts) -

I want Assassin's Creed set in 18th or 19th century Japan.

#71 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

I think Connor to be the only interesting protagonist in all the AC games, and I played them all. Yeah, and I stand by my opinion. He's the only one I could relate to.

#72 Posted by ElixirBronze (415 posts) -

But we'll keep dragging on with the same old boring ass gameplay?

#73 Posted by Lysergica33 (517 posts) -

After a 5 game trilogy that they finished with yet more sequel bait.. No. No more. I am not buying another Assassin's Creed game.

.... Unless they set it in Feudal Japan. In which case SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

#74 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

So... Rusia in the tzar era.

#75 Posted by fiberpay (282 posts) -

I have yet to play a BAD Assassin's game. Maybe once they make one I will start whining about annual releases like most people here, until then I'll play more AC and like it.

#76 Posted by Missacre (566 posts) -

@Lysergica33 said:

After a 5 game trilogy that they finished with yet more sequel bait.. No. No more. I am not buying another Assassin's Creed game.

.... Unless they set it in Feudal Japan. In which case SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

Why don't you just play Tenchu, then?

#77 Posted by FoxxFireArt (110 posts) -

Rats, I like Conner and the wilderness free climbing.

#78 Posted by MeatSim (10739 posts) -

I think I am done with AC unless they really flesh out the gameplay.

#79 Posted by Adrian79 (160 posts) -

Sigh yet another series that has been ruined by annualisation. I get that devs/publishers need to make money but why does everything even slightly popular have to be beaten to death?

#80 Posted by streetninja (145 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: Your comment has left me wanting a white pizza.
#81 Posted by Video_Game_King (35833 posts) -

@streetninja:

Is that a pizza without cheese?

#82 Edited by Gerhabio (1975 posts) -

Fuck Connor and fuck the USA (as a historical setting), two of the most boring fucking concepts in video games ever.

Now I'm actually excited about an AC game again. Fingers crossed for Imperial China/ Ancient Egypt and female protagonist.

#83 Edited by WeaponBoy (160 posts) -

Connor was just...boring. He just lacked that certain charm that made you like him despite how much of a douche he could be. Connor was just kind of a douche in general.

Fair warning, I'm going to make a comparison that some people might be grumpy about and I'm honestly not trying to start a flame war, this is just my opinion.

I liken Connor vs. Ezio to DmC's Dante vs. DMC3/4's Dante. They're both idiotic power fantasies, but I just found new Dante to be kind of insufferably cocky rather than entertainingly cocky. Kind of like Nero was in DMC4, but Nero's melodrama was balanced out by Dante being around to act as a foil.

#84 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3721 posts) -

I hope the rumors of a pirate themed game with a co-op component are true.

#85 Edited by TheHBK (5458 posts) -

I just wish they had made a better game that takes place during the crusades, I remember that was what excited me the most about this series when it was announced.

They should make the game Jeff suggested, I think, a few podcasts ago where you are an assassin during the year 30AD and your gadget guy is Jesus and you are the one that has to kill him and then turns out the plot twist is that he is actually alive and chases your ass to France.

#86 Edited by fetchfox (1217 posts) -

God damn you Ubisoft, I didn't wan't to be exited for the next Assassins Creed game... you don't deserve it! But, I still am. A new time period is to intriguing.

#87 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

World War 1 German assassin?

#88 Posted by Cykke (56 posts) -

Good. His character sucked and the game was extremely bland.

#89 Posted by claybrez (74 posts) -

Don't blame the character, blame the writing which... may never get better. Glad I never bothered with these games.

#90 Edited by Butler (384 posts) -

Can we please go to Japan already. I want ninjas.

Or Egypt.

#91 Posted by sephirm87 (230 posts) -

Hear me out. You start the new game as Desmond (very, very briefly) , with the early twist being that you are someone in the Animus reliving Desmond's experiences as an assassin. You then do all sorts of neat future assassin stuff.

#92 Posted by Efesell (482 posts) -

@sephirm87 said:

Hear me out. You start the new game as Desmond (very, very briefly) , with the early twist being that you are someone in the Animus reliving Desmond's experiences as an assassin. You then do all sorts of neat future assassin stuff.

That's the premise of the next generation graphical updates. You play as a guy reliving Desmonds reliving of all his ancestors.

#93 Posted by UberTerence (8 posts) -

@fox01313: I thoroughly enjoyed the vita AC game. Aveline's multiple personas and skill sets involved with each added a new level of depth to the series.

#94 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Bring on Japan already! The thing I really missed in AC3 was the local language option, was really immersive in AC2,

#95 Posted by InfamousBIG (3200 posts) -

@Efesell said:

@sephirm87 said:

That's the premise of the next generation graphical updates. You play as a guy reliving Desmonds reliving of all his ancestors.

Oh, so you mean like a dream within a dream?

That's novel.

#96 Posted by Efesell (482 posts) -

I hope that it never goes to Japan.

If nothing else I want to keep the relatively unique settings. Visit places that games don't visit all of the damn time.

#97 Posted by 137 (481 posts) -

@Reddy1124 said:

@mlarrabee said:

Good to know this franchise will be milked dry.

Did people honestly think that Ubisoft was not going to milk AC for all its worth? Hopefully they don't annualize Far Cry too.

If they can make the next far cry as good as FC3 then I have no godamned problem with that.

Assasins creed however, after the way they fucked the story up in the last game. It looks like there is no more Desmon or Connor or Ezio, or the irrelevant guy.

#98 Posted by jebara (64 posts) -

@Efesell: To be honest, I'd trust them a whole lot more than reviewers.

With reviewers being as high score giving as they are, I've gotten better gaming purchases listening to the gaming community, by that I mean excluding "videogame critics".

#99 Edited by GaspoweR (2753 posts) -
#100 Posted by John1912 (1813 posts) -

Yea this series peaked at AC2. Ive been lukewarm at best with the every game after that. With 3 kinda sucking Im done with AC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.